PDA

View Full Version : Toronto bead shops?

zoinomiko
02-18-2004, 08:25 PM
I need beads and other jewelry making supplies. Can anyone recommend a place in downtown Toronto? :lost:

archangeli
02-18-2004, 08:49 PM
Arton Beads
523 Queen St. West (on the south side).
about 1-2 blocks west of Spadina.

AWESOME store. I usually make a day trip out of going down to Queen St. There are a couple of bead places down there as well, but Arton is the big one.

I love Mokuba ribbons - it's a gorgeous store as well.

And since I'm in the neighborhood I usually pop into Siren, Silver Snail and Kikiwaii :jjacks:

Infini
02-18-2004, 09:32 PM
I'm taking a Toronto Queen st. shopping trip this friday and saturday, so I'm glad this came up. I need beads for several costumes and I've been ignoring this until recently, since Cambridge doesn't have much in the way of selection. I'm going to keep this address in mind. :)

-Infini

dani
02-18-2004, 09:45 PM
I'm taking a Toronto Queen st. shopping trip this friday and saturday
If you are going to be downtown shopping, you might want to drop by at the cosplay meetup sat at 2pm.

See cosplay.meetup.com and http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=24654 for details.

Happy shopping...

Dani

zoinomiko
02-18-2004, 11:11 PM
Arton Beads
523 Queen St. West (on the south side).

Oh, neat, so that's right in the fabric district, right? I've never been there when I needed beads before, so I guess I never noticed it. ^^; Thanks!

archangeli
02-19-2004, 01:27 AM
..smack in fashion district :) ..

Just so you have a general idea of what you will find at Arton..

They pretty much carry EVERYTHING in the John Bead catelog:
http://www.johnbead.com/

They've got chains, feather, rhinestones, glass beads and all sorts of findings.

Kia
02-19-2004, 08:37 AM
If anyone is in the area there is also an awsome little bead store on Lakeshore Rd. West in Port Credit (in Mississauga). My mom says its absolutly fabulous. ^_^
I can get the address if anyone is interested. ^_^

Sarcasm-hime
02-19-2004, 12:12 PM
The funny thing about Mokuba (a few blocks west of Arton) is that while they appear have every ribbon known to man, whenever I go in there looking for something specific they never have it. ROFL

When I was in there recently looking for narrow gold trim for my Kendappa choli, I found something that could possibly have worked, but it was $8/yard. Then I went a block down to Worldsew (the place where things look like they're going to fall on your head), where I got 10 yards of a similar trim for $8. *lol*

Of course I can think of all sorts of nifty things to do with all the stuff that Mokuba DOES have.....like that gorgeous spiderweb-thin gold lace......*droooool*

Infini
02-19-2004, 02:45 PM
If you are going to be downtown shopping, you might want to drop by at the cosplay meetup sat at 2pm.

I would, but the only day I have freedom of going anywhere is Friday. On Saturday/Sunday I'm tagging along with some friends, so I have to go by their schedule.

I would love to come though, and I'll be there if my other plans fall through and my car's brakes are fixed by then. :D

hellbelle
02-21-2004, 07:06 AM
(wrong person posted)

lainey
02-21-2004, 09:59 AM
considering i'm always in downtown for school, i've never been in this fabric district yet O_o

are there really good deals there?
or basically, it has almost everything you want (ie, huge selection)?

archangeli
02-21-2004, 03:21 PM
you have to look, but EVERYTHING is there for the finding :p

besides, Lainey, you're at UofT... no excuse for neglecting the fashion district! just a streetcar ride away! ;)

zoinomiko
02-21-2004, 03:32 PM
I find that the fabric district usually has everything EXCEPT what I want. ;p No, no, I kid. The fabric district is very good for some things, less good for others. It tends to be a bit expensive, but most of what's being sold is high quality -- certainly better than Fabricland. It's also a great place to go if you like to haggle, which I suck at. *g*

Vanity Fading
02-21-2004, 07:19 PM
I bought my "spikes" at Arton beads^^ they have a huge selection! I was amazed^^

Ryukka
02-21-2004, 09:02 PM
Just go to your local craft store (such as Michaels), they have a large selection and are fairly cheap.. when I was a kid I did alot of embroidary and beading.. thats where I got all of my stuff after White Rose went out of buissness.

Bata
02-22-2004, 09:00 AM
ah this is all good to know seeing how i just relized i need beads for a few of my own cosplays plus my friend who im helping cause shes so lazy @_@ good thing i dont live very far from these places.

Sarcasm-hime
02-23-2004, 01:28 AM
Multi-Phrase Inc. is half a block east of Arton, and has a good selection of beads, tons of sequins, and a truly staggering selection of fancy trims (sequined, beaded, lacy etc.). While on Queen West today I also noticed a new place called the Beadery, just across the street from Arton. It's a tiny hole-in-the-wall place, but seems to be rather upscale, featuring sterling silver and semi-precious stone beads and finished jewellery. Maybe when I strike it rich...-.-;;

nyamiko_chan
02-23-2004, 11:45 AM
Just go to your local craft store (such as Michaels), they have a large selection and are fairly cheap.. when I was a kid I did alot of embroidary and beading.. thats where I got all of my stuff after White Rose went out of buissness.

Is there a Michael's in Toronto -ponders- I haven't seen one ;~;

If anyone knows of one, close to downtown I'd LOVE to know *O*

Sarcasm-hime
02-23-2004, 01:24 PM
AFAIK there is no Michael's anywhere near the city centre. There are 2 in Mississauga, one in Whitby, one in Markham...in the city it's pretty much Lewiscraft or Queen West. Bleh.

archangeli
02-23-2004, 09:57 PM
There's also a Michaels in Woodbridge.

...although I usually go to the one in Markham myself.