PDA

View Full Version : Dragon*Con 2004

Carmila
02-19-2004, 10:33 AM
Who is going? I know it is a bit early but it would be nice to put together some cosplay groups for the event!

Hikaruchan
02-19-2004, 11:20 AM
Me. Don't know when I would get in Friday, but would definitely be there for total of other 3 days.

Lady
02-19-2004, 12:25 PM
I should be going! I'll dress as (Tarot Deck Version) Vaysh from Storm Constantine's Wraeththu series. I might also do Haku from Naruto or possibly Kamina Maya's spoiler outfit from RahXephon. Vaysh is a definite, but other costumes are still really up in the air.

-Lady

keri1966
02-19-2004, 06:37 PM
I'm going, plan to get there Thursday afternoon. :)

Heather
02-19-2004, 07:28 PM
Oooooooo~~ I can't wait for D*C. XD

I have no idea what I'm cosplaying as yet. Possibly Bastila from Knights of the Old Republic. And probably a goth jedi with a few of my friends. (*cackle*) But nothing is set in stone yet. :D

kelldar
02-19-2004, 07:41 PM
I would never miss it. No definite costumes planned at the moment tho -_-;

DarkMgcnGirl
02-19-2004, 08:19 PM
I'll definatly be there this year (I was very sad missing things last year) but I have no idea what I want to costume as ... hmm.

murmur
02-19-2004, 09:40 PM
I'm going (although at this point it looks like I'm gonna have to sell a kidney to pay for it all :) ) I'm not doing any anime costumes, though-- this year it's all comics and scifi for me. (Sandman, Firefly, and Farscape, mostly)

KittyCanuck
02-19-2004, 10:29 PM
Whee! I'm going!
Last year's D*C was my first (and only) con, so I've been saving up since then to go again this year!
^_^

kitsunered
02-19-2004, 10:35 PM
I go every year. Right now I'll be doing another Dawn (which I've already started working on) and I'm probably going to do a Blink (from Age of Apocolypse) costume as well. I promised my boyfriend I'd make him a Hogwarts robe for the PoA premiere, so he'll probably wear that as well. If I have the time and money, I'll try doing a robe for myself, but I'm not holding my breath. I was also considering a generic bunnygirl, but that, my Hogwarts robe, and the Blink costume mostly depend on how much money I have to spare. It's tough being a poor college student sometimes.

-Kits

Ragresen
02-22-2004, 07:56 PM
Dragon con me go??? Well Of course I must go and not waste my eternal membership to it. Besides I have way too many friends that come each year and it would be a shame to miss out seeing them. As for Costumes I will likely drag along a few of my old and maybe have a new one or two for the con. My old of course being my trooper Armor and my Deathstar Gunner. My newer stuff will be things I debut at AX this year.

LionBoogy
02-22-2004, 09:39 PM
I'll be there again. For Saturday through Monday (I can't get Friday off from work). Coverage will include the DragonCon Parade so be ready with your Cosplay.com banenr again! :) I'll try to get more pics of the Dawn costumers (as cameras are not allowed in that area even as press) as they exit that floor or maybe inside the contest room itself.
- Lionel

RandomFanboy
02-22-2004, 10:21 PM
My group and I are thinking about going as The Knights Who Say Nee! from Monty Python, and the Holy Grail.
If we go however, we'll only be there for two days.

SMoogle
02-22-2004, 10:37 PM
Okay guys, if i'm going to make it this year i'm going to need all the help I can get!
Since this will be the first year i'm going to multiple cons, i might not have enough money to go to my favorite home con!!! I'll probly be able to pull together the money to pre-reg, and yeah i'll get to go, but i'd have to leave at 9 or 10 every night - I would miss all the fun of the con!!! Anyone **safe and preferably female** getting a cheap room and feel like splitting the bill? let me know!

as for costume : totally Gally/Alita from Gunnm/Battle Angel. She rocks! Also thinking about a Mana based Lolita costume too..

CapsuleCorp
02-22-2004, 10:46 PM
Ack, I'm going to have to mail the cosplay.com banner to whoever's organizing the parade entry, then, because I can't go this year. I simply can't afford it. REALLY bummed about that, too.

So I'll just press my nose against the glass and look all mournful! *sigh*

kelldar
02-25-2004, 06:28 PM
kitsunered- if you do Blink let me know, I'm planning on doing AoA Shadowcat, it would be cool to get pics together ^^

ZiggyB
02-25-2004, 06:46 PM
Lionel has offered to put me up, unless he changed his mind. 8-/

But, I would love to go to Dragon*Con and check it out. :) It looks like a ton of fun, and a good chance for me to wear my sci-fi costumes. :)

Skullez
02-25-2004, 07:44 PM
im goan go. but im not 100% sure yet.
last time i was goan go i got hit by a golf cart the day befroe i was goan go and broke my foot and couldent go =@.x= !
but i do wana go this year. i dono what ill be cosplaying yet lol! or who is all going w/. me ! lol right now im more focused on the cons im planen to attend this spring and getting there costumes done.

makio
02-26-2004, 03:21 AM
I'd love to go to D*Con, just not sure as what or where I'd stay. It's a couple months from now, I'm told... so I'll look into it more travel wise in the next two months. Suggestions welcome for a possible 'themed' cosplay. :cool:

LionBoogy
02-26-2004, 03:34 AM
Ziggy: now why would I change my mind! hahaha Yeah, Al is coming, too. He'll be there on Friday-Monday, I dunno when you'll be there. I'll be there from Saturday-Monday.

- Lionel

Skullez
02-27-2004, 07:18 AM
I'd love to go to D*Con, just not sure as what or where I'd stay. It's a couple months from now, I'm told... so I'll look into it more travel wise in the next two months. Suggestions welcome for a possible 'themed' cosplay. :cool:Dragon con is September 3-6, 2004 at the Hyatt Regency Atlanta & Atlanta Marriott Marquis. you heve plenty of time!

just cosplay as anythen you want!

SpikeSpiegel
03-17-2004, 05:54 PM
I'm planning on being there.

CrossScar
03-24-2004, 05:06 AM
I'll be there =D

darkfirewolfe
03-24-2004, 10:59 AM
I'll be there too. I haven't missed a DragonCon since 1995 and I'm not about to start now ;)

Let's see, as far as costumes...I'll have another Dawn for the Dawn Look-a-like contest, and I'm working on something super special for the Masquerade...OH, and I know that me, Sarabug, & Dementia will be revising our Strawberry Hoe-Cakes that we did last year.

Other than that, I'm open...I want to make all kinds of things, but nothing defiante for DragonCon, yet.

Schu
03-24-2004, 06:39 PM
I'll be there! Anyone interested in a Homestar Runner themed group? I'll be doing my Dawn costume and maybe a new Zelda.

I can't wait :-D

CapsuleCorp
03-24-2004, 11:30 PM
TROGDORRR!!!!! :D

*ahem* there seems to be a slight chance that I might be able to make it down after all. Considering how many people expressed disappointment when I made my "I can't go" announcement, this could be a good thing. Not sure yet, though - we'll see how things work out.

Schu
03-27-2004, 05:51 AM
haha, Capsule Corp, I realized I took your picture on the elevator when I was really drunk.... you were that cool thing from DBZ, right? I didn't realize...

RobTheStampede
03-28-2004, 01:58 PM
I plan on going ^__^ i plan on doing ash from evil dead and Master Shake from Aqua Team Hunger Force and maybe Zell from Final Fantasy 8

Ragresen
03-28-2004, 05:29 PM
You can be sure I will be there as I mentioned before. So far I have planned to have my Trooper Armor, Imperial Gunner, LeCeil Kozi, Jinto and Possibly my Zam Wessel (lots of work to go) and also possibly my reworked Harle.

CapsuleCorp
03-29-2004, 01:40 AM
LOL yeah, that was me. :) I was Dende. Surprising how many people actually knew who I was. That'll teach you to take photos when drunk! LOL!!

SMoogle
03-29-2004, 09:52 PM
Okay, i've changed my costume ideas...i still might do Alita, but i've encountered a few (more like a ton) of problems with the armor, so i may put that off. not like i dont have months and months.....
so now my friend and I are being cheap and doing battle royale. we would LOVE for as many other people to come and play with us!!!

Gale
03-30-2004, 11:07 AM
I almost went last year with my friend from Atlanta (we were gunna try a "just add water" type Ranma 1/2 group with me as Ranma-chan & him as Ranma-kun, and his then GF as Akane, and some other people i dont know), but the whole thing about plane tickets and such didnt work out with my parents...maybe i'll try again this year, though, it sounds like lots of fun!

anycynwilldo
03-31-2004, 05:03 PM
I'll be there too! Not sure what costumes I'm planning on yet, but this year I plan on mainly having fun and seeing friends :)

kelldar
03-31-2004, 05:13 PM
We ought to see about getting a forum just for Dragoncon... I think there's enough cosplay.com-ers planning on going to justify it, and we always end up with 4 or 5 seperate Dragoncon threads every year...
just something I thought of today.

Ragresen
04-02-2004, 08:22 AM
Kell I tend to agree with you, but since it is not anime Specific I am not sure the Admin will aloow it, but it is still worth a try. So how do we go about makeing a request for a forum for Dragon con?

kelldar
04-02-2004, 09:08 AM
Well if there's one for San Diego Comic Con there could be one for Dragoncon! I have no idea how to go about it- I'm at a con right now (MTAC ^^) so when I get back I'll PM Admin and ask him about it.

Nabooty_Call
04-16-2004, 04:14 PM
Dragon*Con is always a blast! Can't wait for this year's it'll be my 4th one...Working on a CLONE WARS version of Obi-Wan's costume and a couple other surprises.

See y'all there!

kelldar
04-16-2004, 06:44 PM
lmao - Nabooty Call, I love your screenname.

btw everyone, I've PMed Admin about getting a Dragoncon forum, but I know he's busy right now (esp with the Picnic this weekend) so it'll probably be a while until we hear yay or nay.

CapsuleCorp
04-16-2004, 10:32 PM
Oh man, clone armor Obi! *whimper*

Now I'm REALLY bummed. Take lots of pics!

Ragresen
04-20-2004, 09:48 PM
Well going on my.. Well just being there every year since 1989 thansk to my eternal membership. I hope to see many of you there this year. It will be fun as I will be doing less Starwars and more Cosplay stuff this year.

KirinPandora
04-25-2004, 10:25 AM
I know I'm going as an elf, and I'm hoping to have the time/cash to make an X-Wing Pilot costume. Otherwise I'll wear old stuff, like my Han Solo.

kodiak33
04-28-2004, 06:23 PM
No doubt I will be at DC this year. I managed to get an Eternal Membership for my birthday so I am really excited to say the least. I have done the Storm Trooper thing for the last 2 years so I will be going a different direction this time...COBRA!!!!

and maybe a couple of other projects that are in the works. :rockon:

aaobuttons
05-06-2004, 01:14 PM
I'm going for sure. My husband and I are arriving Thursday night and staying thru Monday. He is going as The Punisher (comic version), and I am going as Lulu (FFX), a Forest Fairy, and as a Dragonrider from Pern.

If anyone else is doing FFX stuff, I'd love to pose for pictures and stuff. I think Taipa is going as Yuna.

SuthrnBelleChan
05-07-2004, 07:36 AM
I'll be htere!! I'll be bringing the following hopefully

Dawn (for the look-a-like thingy)
Dawn (from the Buffy musical, if i make the final cut to be in it)
Utena Rose Bride (BIG MAYBE)
Umbrella Corperation Doctor (It's a funny costume ^_^)

Schuldig
05-09-2004, 11:02 PM
I'll be there and I've got waaaaay too much to cosplay.

The only group that we're missing characters for is our Rainbow Brite group. We still need the following: (if anyone's interested in joining in)

Shy Violet (possibly)
Canary Yellow
Red Butler
Buddy Blue

Carmila
05-10-2004, 11:12 PM
I still have yet to figure out what I am going to do, however I hope to have Taki done by then.

And Kurumi will come, but that is a given! ^_^

RobTheStampede
05-10-2004, 11:28 PM
i have decided not to ash from evil dead but im going to do The new movie version of the Punisher ^__^

SuthrnBelleChan
05-11-2004, 08:16 AM

The only group that we're missing characters for is our Rainbow Brite group. We still need the following: (if anyone's interested in joining in)

Shy Violet (possibly)
Canary Yellow
Red Butler
Buddy Blue

i may be able to join ^_^

Aleathia Burns
05-11-2004, 09:43 AM
I go every year. Right now I'll be doing another Dawn (which I've already started working on) and I'm probably going to do a Blink (from Age of Apocolypse) costume as well. I promised my boyfriend I'd make him a Hogwarts robe for the PoA premiere, so he'll probably wear that as well. If I have the time and money, I'll try doing a robe for myself, but I'm not holding my breath. I was also considering a generic bunnygirl, but that, my Hogwarts robe, and the Blink costume mostly depend on how much money I have to spare. It's tough being a poor college student sometimes.

-Kits

Cool your going to do Blink from the "Age of Apocolypse seris"? I say go for it cuz it is good to know that someone still remebers that awesome story line in the X-men seris!!! :jjacks:And it's not so tough being a poor college student when you have disocunt fabric stores around. I am sure you can pull this awesome costume off and I hope you do!!! :bigtu:

Aleathia Burns
05-11-2004, 09:53 AM

Shy Violet (possibly)
Canary Yellow
Red Butler
Buddy Blue

If your doing the cast from Rainbow Brite then that would be sweet!!! I will be there with my camera for sure!!!! :jjacks:

Schuldig
05-11-2004, 06:06 PM
i may be able to join ^_^

That would be cool! Who would you like to be?

If your doing the cast from Rainbow Brite then that would be sweet!!! I will be there with my camera for sure!!!! :jjacks:

I can't wait for our group! It's going to be cool to see all the color kids (hopefully we'll have them all)

SuthrnBelleChan
05-12-2004, 08:05 AM
That would be cool! Who would you like to be?

i dunno hehe Maybe SHy Violet or Canary Yellow. I tall depends on if i'll hvae tiem and money

Schuldig
05-12-2004, 11:26 AM
ahhh yes... the curse that is money. (I feel you there ^_^;;)

kelldar
05-12-2004, 11:27 AM
Man keep us updated on the Rainbow Brite group... I definitely want to see it and take pics!!

Eurobeat King
05-12-2004, 10:28 PM
My first time to Dragoncon, I might just bring 2 costumes: Shinji Ikari for the anime fans, and Hibiki Takane for the video-game fans. It'd be cool to take some pics with some Star Wars cosplayers like some Jedi Knights, to match their lightsabers with my cane-sword.. ;) hehe

Still haven't purchased airfare yet or pre-regged, since I have 6 cons to deal with before Dragoncon comes.. :thumbsup: But I am focused on going this year!!

felicity869
05-13-2004, 02:43 PM
Still haven't purchased airfare yet or pre-regged, since I have 6 cons to deal with before Dragoncon comes.. :thumbsup: But I am focused on going this year!!

That sounds just like me. I'm going to try to go to Dragon Con this year (I've been dying to go for a few years now) but before I can start paying for that or know if I can go for sure I have to worry about Fanime, AX, Comic Con and the Labyrinth Masquerade.

Shy Violet (possibly)
Canary Yellow
Red Butler
Buddy Blue

I would love to be Shy Violet if those maybes back out and I manage to get myself to Dragon Con this year.

Aleathia Burns
05-13-2004, 04:59 PM
My first time to Dragoncon, I might just bring 2 costumes: Shinji Ikari for the anime fans, and Hibiki Takane for the video-game fans. It'd be cool to take some pics with some Star Wars cosplayers like some Jedi Knights, to match their lightsabers with my cane-sword.. ;) hehe

Man I would kill to go to 6 cons before Dragon Con!!!! Awww you are sooo lucky cuz all I have is Scifi Summer, Dragon Con and AWA. :hafha: Well I should"nt complain sice at least I have these conventions to attend.Good luck,be safe, and see ya at the con!!!

Ragresen
05-15-2004, 09:49 AM
Ok this is what I plan to bring along from Dragon Con. I just hope there is room for there is room for those staying with me. :)

Stormtrooper
Deathstar Gunner
Kozi from the Malice Mizer Le Ceil Video
Kris Kristopher in School Uniform from Battle Athletes: Victory
Jinto from Crest of the Stars
Harle from Chronocross
And if Done Zam Wesell

My poor little car better have room for all this. :)

I am planning to wear Jinto for the Parade, My trooper armor for a bit one day and my Deathstar Gunner or Zam for the 501st parade or pictures.

Now I am considering haveing a small room partry on sunday night or I am considering sunday night as Saturday is the busy night for me. Between the 501st mixer and The Dented Helemet gathering that normally happens that night. But we shall see. Right now I just got to get through AX and maybe hit Sci-Fi summer along the way.

HealerKou
05-15-2004, 03:55 PM
I'll be there! It's the only con I'm really excited about right now. I have NOT been feelin' it with the cosplay lately. Just too much other stuff going on. But I'm really looking forward to making some comic costumes, among other things ^_^ I was thinking about doing the whole Dawn thing, and I had the costume I wanted to do picked out...but then I decided that it might be more fun to do my own "version" using several pictures from Linsner. ^_^ I hope that's not frowned upon.

Also, I got some random email about maybe doing a panel at the con, but he only wrote me back twice about it. So if that guy is reading this...WRITE ME BACK! I want a free badge!! ^_~

kelldar
05-15-2004, 05:10 PM
HealerKou - was it about doing a cosplay panel? I got an email about that and haven't heard back from him in a while.

HealerKou
05-15-2004, 06:01 PM
HealerKou - was it about doing a cosplay panel? I got an email about that and haven't heard back from him in a while.

Yeah, that's exactly it. It was regarding some cosplay panel and he asked if I would consider going to D*C and I was like, "I'm already going, so I'll help you out!" and then he never really got back to me. ^_^ To be honest, I wasn't even sure if he was legit or not. Then again, I get a lot of weird emails...

snowqueenie
05-15-2004, 09:29 PM
any visual-kei cosplay at dragon con? i have a toshiya dir en grey right here...

Ragresen
05-15-2004, 10:05 PM
any visual-kei cosplay at dragon con? i have a toshiya dir en grey right here...

Look at my list I should have my Kozi outfit from Malice Mizer. They are the band that kinda brought the entire Visual Kei concept to Amercia eyes I think.

snowqueenie
05-15-2004, 10:33 PM
Look at my list I should have my Kozi outfit from Malice Mizer. They are the band that kinda brought the entire Visual Kei concept to Amercia eyes I think.

ohh, which day are you wearing your kozi?

Ragresen
05-16-2004, 10:55 AM
ohh, which day are you wearing your kozi?
So far plans are for it to be worn Saturday evening. It would be such a fun costume to wear leading up to and during the Masqurade. I never enter the Masqurade at Dragon Con but have plans to ona costume I amworking on for next year. As Dragon Con approaches I will post in when I am planning to wear what yet. Also I may shrink down my costume list as well as that is a lot of changes and both the Kozi and the Harle take the ost time to get into.

Hikaruchan
05-16-2004, 01:07 PM
I am not sure what I will be bringing, there are several costumes I haven't made yet that I want to try getting ready for D*C. Raven from Teen Titans(comic book version not cartoon), possibly Shrinking Violet or Moonshade.

sniper001
05-19-2004, 05:07 AM
Wow I didnt even know about this con til just now. mapquest says its a 9 hours drive if all other cars dont exist(no traffic). So if I go I gotta stay at a hotel wich would be hard to do.

Flowery
05-22-2004, 02:10 PM

Hikaruchan
05-22-2004, 03:24 PM
It is several times larger than AWA (know DragonCon has gotten 31,000 before - AWA is about 5400), most people in my anime club quit going to AWA and come to DragonCon instead - since they are so close timewise (wonder why AWA moved to be in September, cause at least for my group its stopping people from going to both).
About anything goes costume wise at DragonCon. Biggest groups of costumers would be Star Wars & comicbook cosplay - but there are growing amounts of anime, movie/TV and historical costuming going on. Its basically become the eastern convention to go see costumes at. because a lot of non-anime costumers are bringing out their best here.

kitsunered
05-22-2004, 03:41 PM
I was thinking about doing the whole Dawn thing, and I had the costume I wanted to do picked out...but then I decided that it might be more fun to do my own "version" using several pictures from Linsner. ^_^ I hope that's not frowned upon.

Also, I got some random email about maybe doing a panel at the con, but he only wrote me back twice about it. So if that guy is reading this...WRITE ME BACK! I want a free badge!! ^_~

I've been in the Dawn Look-A-Like contest for the past several years and I can definitely say that original designs are expected and even encouraged. Not only are you less likely to end up wearing the same costume as someone else that way, but there's even a prize for "Best Original Design". So I'd say go for it, and if you'd like to get in touch with a bunch of the other girls who do the contest every year, you can check out our Livejournal group at http://www.livejournal.com/community/dawn_lookalikes/ .

As for the costuming panel, according to the new DC website, there's actually supposed to be a costuming track this year, but there's no other information about it. Maybe that's what the e-mail is about. I'm hoping it goes off now. Costuming is a pretty large part of DC.

-K

Ragresen
05-22-2004, 10:43 PM
You can compare Dragon Con in size to cons like San Deigo Comic Con and Gen Con. SDCC is roughly the same size as DC and well Gen Con is by far the Biggest Convention in North Amercia from what I hear. But as far as I have been told is Dragon Con is the Convention to be seen at when it comes to Costuming. I know a lot of west coasters come out to Dragon Con simply because they know that people bring their best work with them. Not to say you do not see a few bad costumes here and there, but you see more like so much it is likely you will not see everything at the con Costume wise and there is no way you will ever get to do everything you want.

SpikeSpiegel
05-23-2004, 01:31 PM
I'd love to have my Spike outfit finished in time for D-CON but then I have the problem of dragging another outfit with me.

Dementia
06-10-2004, 10:49 PM
Lurker here. Vet of Dragoncon. But it'll be my third year and I'm excited to go!

ARE WE THERE YET???????

*bouncy bouncy*

My costumes:
Reprising the roles of last year
--TV's Batgirl (Yvonne Craig 60's version)
--American McGhee's Strawberry Shortcake (Penny Arcade version) with Darkfirewolfe and Sarabug (WE SHALL INFILTRATE!!!), along with new members of our militia this year...
--Purgatori (50% on that one, not sure still)

New:
--Entering the Dawn contest for a third time (all you newbies be sure to introduce yourselves! and vets? Looking forward to seeing you all!!)
--Dame Vaako from TCoR (MEGA excited to do this one, and i even have a Riddick!!)
--a gothic lolita Swiss Miss (twisted version of what miss anycynwilldo did last year, I just hope I can do it justice)

(Yeah I'mma be a BIZZY BIZZY girl!!)

SuthrnBelleChan
06-16-2004, 12:18 PM
I'll be doing a Hellsing Group and i'll be with my cosplay group Cartoon Heroes so lookf or us ^_^

SuthrnBelleChan
06-16-2004, 12:24 PM
Eurobeat King we so gotta meet up somehow!

Oh also i'm still doing my two dawns for everyone. COME SEE ME IN THE BUFFY MUSICAL ^_^

BTW, for all con hookup purposes or if u just wanna leave me a "I love SuthrnBelleChan" message lol Here's my cellie number 256-426-2369

Czygany
06-29-2004, 09:58 PM
So, I hope this isn't the wrong place to ask this question but I was wondering if some of the veterns of Dragon*Con would be willing to start a "Newbies guide to Dragon*Con" thread. (Like there is for Otakon - helpful hints, what to expect, annecdotes, etc.)

I know nothing about this con but from reading all the other threads in this forum it sounds like the place to be for costumes, so I'm very interested in trying to attend. I went to their official website but even that didn't give me a good sense of what their con was like. (Also, perhaps someone would be willing to give their perspective as an anime fan attending this convention. It seems like this con has a strong sci-fi basis and I don't! *laugh* Maybe even some tips on choosing a Dragon*Con appropriate costume; thematicly that is, not as in revealing *wink*.) I'm really interested in this event but I'd like to know more about it before I register. Thanks for anyone's help in this!

...Oh, one more thing (sorry!), is there a thread started for room/roomates needed and/or rides (I'd be comming from D.C.ish and wasting the space in my car seems silly). Perhaps I'm too early for that level of planning though? *shrug* Thanks again!

JasonTD
07-01-2004, 02:17 AM
I'll be there (duh). Dragoncon's been my main con for years and years now. This year I'm in charge of planning the Buffy prom, so be sure to check that out Saturday night of the con. Bring your formalwear! ^_^

Ravien
07-01-2004, 11:12 AM
So, I hope this isn't the wrong place to ask this question but I was wondering if some of the veterns of Dragon*Con would be willing to start a "Newbies guide to Dragon*Con" thread. (Like there is for Otakon - helpful hints, what to expect, annecdotes, etc.)

I know nothing about this con but from reading all the other threads in this forum it sounds like the place to be for costumes, so I'm very interested in trying to attend. I went to their official website but even that didn't give me a good sense of what their con was like. (Also, perhaps someone would be willing to give their perspective as an anime fan attending this convention. It seems like this con has a strong sci-fi basis and I don't! *laugh* Maybe even some tips on choosing a Dragon*Con appropriate costume; thematicly that is, not as in revealing *wink*.) I'm really interested in this event but I'd like to know more about it before I register. Thanks for anyone's help in this!

...Oh, one more thing (sorry!), is there a thread started for room/roomates needed and/or rides (I'd be comming from D.C.ish and wasting the space in my car seems silly). Perhaps I'm too early for that level of planning though? *shrug* Thanks again!

There's an unofficial newbies guide in the DragonCon LJ I think...I'll find it and post it here later ;)

Basically what you need to know is:

Drink plenty of water
Bring your own food
Make friends as they come in handy later
The anime room starts to smell really really bad around the third day
Plan to bring $100 more than you were going to
If you forgot to bring your own food, the "convenience" store in the lobby of the Hyatt becomes God, and it will also take that $100.

That's all I can think of now...it's early :P

Costumes at D*C are some of the best. Anime costumes in the past have been scarce as the official anime track was only added I think two years ago. I have a feeling there will be more this year. This isn't like an anime con. This con has everything. Music, sci-fi, art, fantasy, gaming, etc. I guess an "appropriate" costume would be something in the sci-fi genre or something comic book or video game. That seems to be the majority of things there. Don't worry if you're not into certain things...I don't watch sci-fi TV and I still go :P

I'll see about getting the ride/roommate thread started (one of those big ones like the ones under the other cons) ;) I'm pretty sure Kyle has to make that one and if that's the case we'll have to wait until after AX.

Right now the only ride in your area I know of is someone was needing a ride from NYC...but I think that's a bit far for you ;) and I'm always looking for roommates :) More roommates = less money

Check out the DragonCon LiveJournals for more info/experiances. There's two: dragon_con and dragoncon

Let me know if you have anymore questions :) I'll be glad to help.

Czygany
07-01-2004, 11:45 AM
Thank you SOOOO much! I'll be sure to check out those livejournal thingies.

Hikaruchan
07-02-2004, 12:06 AM
Most advice for newbies for DragonCon would be about the same for any other con. Anything goes costume wise - so bring any garb like Renn Faire, Klingon, StormTrooper, Anime, Mascot, comicbook, etc.
Only big difference is if you or accompanying parents are prudish, get ready for a shock - especially at night. People will be walking around just in caution tape, or saran wrap, or bodypaint, or g-strings and pasties. Its not a con I could recommend to begin with if parents are bringing you, cause if they thought all cons were like D*C they might have problems letting you attend others.

RobTheStampede
07-03-2004, 02:40 AM
Really! wow this will be my first dragoncon not to sound like a pervert i have a feelling im going to really like this con ^_^''' watch out for me as the punisher while im there

SuthrnBelleChan
07-03-2004, 12:12 PM
Soooooo.... who all here likes Fanta?? (trust me it's on topic)

Ravien
07-04-2004, 02:02 AM
Soooooo.... who all here likes Fanta?? (trust me it's on topic)

NOOOOOOO!

Please tell me you're not doing the Fantanas...

This would be the third time someone has said they're doing them....

I HATE that commercial.

RobTheStampede
07-04-2004, 02:08 AM
lol why not i think its going to be cool ^_^ even though the song get stuck in your head

Ravien
07-04-2004, 02:13 AM
lol why not i think its going to be cool ^_^ even though the song get stuck in your head

I don't wanta fanta :P

There's certain things that I want to go away that won't including, but not limited to:

Chii
Otaku Speak
The Fantanas

I'm still in the acceptance process...it's an uphill battle.

SuthrnBelleChan
07-04-2004, 07:58 PM
I don't wanta fanta :P

There's certain things that I want to go away that won't including, but not limited to:

Chii
Otaku Speak
The Fantanas

I'm still in the acceptance process...it's an uphill battle.

DOn't worry we'll put you on a 12 step program

Serion
07-05-2004, 05:40 AM
*pops head in*

Hey guys, I'm one of those DragonCon regulars that actually works at the con's video room *gasp* :)

Anywho, if any of you guys remember someone running around with a 'Free Mamogram' box on their shoulders in DC2002, I was the guy following him announcing his presence ;)

Also, I'm needing some assistance on a costume, so if any of you great costume designers have some extra time perhaps you could check out my add in the 'Wanted' forum :)

Ravien
07-10-2004, 04:13 AM
Thank you SOOOO much! I'll be sure to check out those livejournal thingies.

The Ride/Roommates thread has been started as per your request ;)

SirYvaine
07-25-2004, 08:14 PM
Hey all! Just the other day I got my taste for anime after I thought I lost it. Now that I am able to travel freely I've decided to sign up for all 4 days of Dragon Con. First of all, I just moved to GA so I don't have any friends down here that are into this and I'm looking to meet some people who are. Also I've rented a room for the whole weekend and I'm looking for roommates to help share the cost. Oh Yeah! I have no idea what to do for a costume. Is there anybody who could help me out or somebody who lives in either the Augusta, GA or Columbus, GA area that could help me out. Thanks.

Ravien
07-26-2004, 04:41 AM
Hey all! Just the other day I got my taste for anime after I thought I lost it. Now that I am able to travel freely I've decided to sign up for all 4 days of Dragon Con. First of all, I just moved to GA so I don't have any friends down here that are into this and I'm looking to meet some people who are. Also I've rented a room for the whole weekend and I'm looking for roommates to help share the cost. Oh Yeah! I have no idea what to do for a costume. Is there anybody who could help me out or somebody who lives in either the Augusta, GA or Columbus, GA area that could help me out. Thanks.

If you're looking for roommates, you should post in the Rides/Roommates thread next to the Dragon*Con thread.

Just so you know, D*C isn't all about anime...it's an everything con. Anime can be found in the basement ;) That track finally has some "names" this year so maybe they'll get better rooms.

As for a costume...I'm booked on commissions, but maybe if it's something simple enough you can do it yourself. Be creative :)

fightstar
08-03-2004, 12:06 AM
I just want to know 2 things

1. I can only go for one day. Which day is the best day to go?

2. Who is going as a character from "City of Heros" video game?

~fightstar

Ragresen
08-03-2004, 07:34 AM
I just want to know 2 things

1. I can only go for one day. Which day is the best day to go?

2. Who is going as a character from "City of Heros" video game?

~fightstar

Ok to Answer your questions as best as I can.

1. Saturday and get there early so you do not sit in line too long for a one day pass. Stick around for the Masqurade as it is so worth it. Some of the best Costumers you will ever see enter the Masqurade at Dragon Con.

2. So far I know of none doing any costumes from city of Heros. I know I have no plans to.

Ravien
08-03-2004, 01:26 PM
Ok to Answer your questions as best as I can.

1. Saturday and get there early so you do not sit in line too long for a one day pass. Stick around for the Masqurade as it is so worth it. Some of the best Costumers you will ever see enter the Masqurade at Dragon Con.

2. So far I know of none doing any costumes from city of Heros. I know I have no plans to.

Saturday night is not the Masquerade...Saturday is the Dawn contest (unless they have changed it) Sunday night is the Masquerade.

I still agree, Saturday is the best day though.

Ragresen
08-03-2004, 02:44 PM
Saturday night is not the Masquerade...Saturday is the Dawn contest (unless they have changed it) Sunday night is the Masquerade.

I still agree, Saturday is the best day though.
You may be right. I get to the con and have fun.