PDA

View Full Version : Prince Kael of Warcraft III (good old Fiberglass :P )

MxWaRlOrD
02-20-2004, 07:13 PM
Wow watch your language. And don't be so selfish. You're officially warned, buddy.

kazamaCEO
02-23-2004, 12:06 AM
Well, hello, fellow Warcrafter. :D

Sorry for not replying sooner, been busy this week. Please don't get discouraged. ;.; I've found that WC isn't the most cosplayed series out there...

Have you ever worked with fiberglass before? Nasty stuff. I recommend doing a few smaller, less intricate projects before attempting Kael's armor. Granted, I've never made armor before but that's one hell of a piece. :D If you wanna learn more about fiberglass, just do a search on the forums and I'm sure you'll come up with a TON of results (even though most of them will be for weapons). Also, if you look for armor, you can find a bunch of alternatives to fiberglass if you decide that's not what you want to do. :)

Good luck and let me know how it goes! I'm working on a Demon Hunter and a Warden myself. ^_^

MxWaRlOrD
02-25-2004, 08:21 PM
Thanks Kazama for the reply. i was wondering if people actually existsed in this Forum. anywho yeah i tought about that. i have never worked with fiberglass but i have seen it done. i really don't know many other alternitives except for the one i have seen in amethyst-angel.com. except that her alternitive is useing a prosess for SMOOTH surfaces. Kaels armor is well very very bumpy and the PolySterine whould not be able to fold. of course i really ain't too sure.

it's nice to see another wc fanatic :P maybe i can try making the weapons of Illidian Stormrage. that wohuld be a project :bigtu:

kazamaCEO
02-25-2004, 09:42 PM
You bet! I'm glad WC is finally going to get at least a little cosplay attention. I love Blizzard's designs with a passion and I think they need some recognition. ^_~

If you think fiberglass would be best for the project, I say go for it! It might take a couple of tries before it comes out completely how you want it, but considering what you're working for, I think it would be worth it. ^^ I love Kael!

What you can also do for plastic is get a heat gun, which works pretty well for shaping it. There are a million different things you can do with plastic, so in case the fiberglass doesn't work out, keep it in mind. ^_~ Always nice to have a back-up.

I love Illidan's panda blades. XD I'll be making a set for myself for my DH cossie and possibly a set for my fiance, who I've convinced to be demon Illidan if I can find the time and munny to make it. Good thing they're a bit different. >_< I also hope to make a replica of Frostmourne, but that will probably come after I finish the DH.

Cheers and good luck!

MxWaRlOrD
02-27-2004, 02:54 PM
i whould have to say a person whould be a cosplay legend if they can pull off making The DeathKnight Arthas's armor. now that's a big costume!

http://www.blizzard.com/images/inblizz/actionfigures/arthas.jpg

kazamaCEO
02-27-2004, 03:21 PM
It's on my list of future projects. ;p Like, REALLY future projects. Like, when I'm experienced enough even attempt such things (and have a decent enough job to pay for them, lol). I have Frostmourne on there too. :) Arthas' costume is huge and convoluted, including things like the crazy-ass armor, chainmail, fur, etc.

Also for your Kael armor, you could probably get away with the in-game version, which is probably a little less complicated.
http://www.battle.net/war3/human/units/

MxWaRlOrD
02-27-2004, 09:25 PM
well if i can't get Kael done i always have an really good alternitive:

http://www.blizzard.com/war3x/images/screens/concept/ss02.jpg

kazamaCEO
03-01-2004, 02:25 AM
I all honesty, I think Kael will be ALOT easier in terms of construction than a spellbreaker. I think the only thing that would be harder is finding reference images of Kael below the waist. Even I don't know what the hell he's wearing, and I've drawn him a few times. =/ Yay for improv!

Amethyst Angel
03-07-2004, 07:53 PM
I all honesty, I think Kael will be ALOT easier in terms of construction than a spellbreaker. I think the only thing that would be harder is finding reference images of Kael below the waist.

Indeed, I think the biggest strike against Warcraft cosplay is the lack of big, detailed reference pics. (I might be tempted to do a Sorceress costume, if a picture larger and more detailed-filled than her game sprite exists out there and I'm able to find it.) Yeah, I suppose I could just use my imagination but...it's on vacation right now...

MxWaRlOrD
06-05-2004, 11:06 PM
The only Pictures are made by Samwise, Check his site for referances Amethyst

kazamaCEO
06-06-2004, 12:32 PM
I don't think you'll find any colored sorc pics by Samwise but! I'm betting you could take a few artistic liberties with her costume; you know, fancy it up a bit. ;p

Guys guys, you gotta check out what I found... My jaw dropped and I just kinda stared for awhile, then I decided I wanted one for my one personal uses. XD XD :heart:

avskull
06-06-2004, 12:56 PM
I think that most blizzard costume are very hard to make and usually go over a lot of cosplayer heads, so that why response donít come.

I know as much as Iíve worked with plastic/ foam, Iím not ready to make that Diablo (act4 boss) costume i always wanted to make. In fact I made a costume thread and got no response back, I donít take it personally.

I wish you luck on the warcraft armor ^_^

MxWaRlOrD
06-06-2004, 09:17 PM
http://www.sonsofthestorm.com/warcraft_samwise038b.html#gallery

that's a pretty Diverse Explanation about the Set up of a foot soldier, any cosplayers interested ;) just remember that when WC made the final product they increased the size of the helmet so that it reached to the waist.

kenamis
08-30-2004, 04:41 AM
what do you mean they increased the size of the helmet so that reached to the waist? you mean like the hair on it? i'm confused...

Nightide
09-28-2004, 03:48 PM
Hello, In regards to WC3 Cosplay. I am glad somebody has the guts to do one. For work with Fiber glass, this is the method in which my grandfather used to make the body for his 69' Ford Kelly. I hope these instuctions help you.

First; make a positive in the shape that you desire. The best method will be to go to home deopt and buy INSULATION FOAM. Its pink styrofoam used for insulation. Its easy to cut with and kitchen knife or a heated piece of wire. This is different from normal styrofoam in that it does not have those awkward bubbles to work around. Than sandpaper and smooth it out. Glue multiple layers together to attain the desired height.

Second; Once the Positive is made, put vasaline on it. Than you will want to pour plaster ALL over it. Sometimes a frame helps to hold the plaster in place and will allow for the reusing of the mold. It takes a few days to harden. Once it is hard, remove that styrofoam positve, and the mold leaves your NEGATIVE.

Third; This is where the fiberglass comes in. Its two parts, "cloth" and "resin". You lay the "cloth" down into your negative mold. Making sure to fill in all areas well. Than the resin is "painted" on it will take a while to dry. Add additional layers of resin and cloth for greater hardness.

Fourth; once dry, sand and smooth, prime and paint.

Hope this was helpfull.
If you go to East COast Cons I would love to see the results. ^^

I all honesty, I think Kael will be ALOT easier in terms of construction than a spellbreaker. I think the only thing that would be harder is finding reference images of Kael below the waist. Even I don't know what the hell he's wearing, and I've drawn him a few times. =/ Yay for improv!