PDA

View Full Version : Stress!!! x_x

kelldar
11-12-2002, 10:17 AM
Every year I do a play poster for my old high school's plays (2 a year). They usually take between 10-20 hours to do (depending on how nice my computer is being!) They finally called me last night and told me to come up and take reference pics tonight - the play is on friday, I have work all day tomorrow, then work thursday followed by school until 7, and I'll need to take it to be printed that night, or friday by the latest. I hate having it printed on friday, it there's something wrong with it there's no time to take it back.
Last year was a bit easier for me, they did something I was already very familiar with (Marx Brothers' Animal Crackers), plus I finally had a wacom tablet so that made it way easier! (http://kellilla.com/art/misc/animalcrackers.jpg -- my poster from last year</A> - the part I'm happiest with is the blonde boy on the right - that's my cousin, and it looks just like him *g*)
Uhhhgh! I just really wanted to rant about that! I'll probably have to pull an all nighter wednesday night if I want to get it to the printers in time thursday. It also means I'm going to miss buffy tonight!
I don't get paid for this (I do get a free "nice" seat in the front for one performance) - it's considered some kind of alumni... thing. However, last time I discovered I could get the parents of the kids in the play to fork over $30 for a small copy of the poster >D I made nearly $300 and that became my Animazement spending money *g*
sooo anyway.
Anybody else have any stressful art moments they want to share?

Tea-chan
11-12-2002, 11:02 AM
XD 300 on posters. Wow. XD That rules!

Anyway!

I've had my share of stressful moments. Take two weekends ago, for example. I'm a lazy little thing, and had two art projects that I needed to finish before the marking period was over. I also had two non-art projects to do. They were all due monday.

To say the least, I was losing my sanity. XD

Also. Shoujocon 2002, for a month beforehand, I was in a massive drawing block. And I needed a portfolio, because my work from the year was disturbingly outdated.
To say the least, my portfolio was gheeeetto. ;_;

Sami
11-12-2002, 11:59 AM
Wow, $300! Not bad.. not bad at all!

We did this lovely project in our graphic design iii class (senior year of college) where we decided we were going to make an actual, true to life, full sized billboard advertising our yearly student art show (Visions) and rent out a billboard in town to put it up on. X_X Sadly, half of the class that was working on it (about 10 out of 21 or 22) decided to ditch out on the project which left the rest of us scrambling to get things done..

We had this HUMONGOUS paper where the top ould only be reached by this strange cherry-pickerlike device we borrowed from the Flim department.. so only one person could be painting the top at one given time. -_- I don't even know how much paint we went through, or got on our clothes.. but for 5 days, every day after class.. there we were. Not to mention this was getting very close to exam time!! X_X And we got it done, and it just RULED. IT was so amazing, I wish I had a photo! *_*

psythe
11-12-2002, 06:54 PM
Nice poster Kell!!:thumbsup:

SleepingKirby
11-12-2002, 09:08 PM
Wow, that really kicks a$$. Did you do it in painter and photoshop? If you did it in illustrator... man... I would to your superiority.

Spooky Brew
11-12-2002, 11:30 PM
Beautiful colouring Kell!! Still learning myself...I kinda self-teach!
*presses button*
"What did I do? Oh my go...hey, that looks pretty cool..gotta remember that button!"

ThrustPuppy
11-14-2002, 01:49 AM
I have been blown away

die-sama
11-17-2002, 02:33 PM
that is such a awesome poster *_* *falls in amazement*

anywhoo.. last year i had to do this state competition w/ Computer graphics so i could get teh school 300 bucks
well the very last day the contest 's deadline they decided they wanted to put another piece of artwork in for the literary graphics competition. so i spend all day fixing that up. then we ended up getting 600 total cuz we won both :D *happy*

but they weren't too stressfull @_@ i think the most stress is coming now...i have 2 deadlines to meet :( X_X only done w/ one of them

nekochan
11-21-2002, 11:16 PM
WHoa deNG!! what a poster!! ^^ i can understand how that caused you so much stress, but it turned out wonderful!!

neways.. yeah i had bio hw and outlines to do for world history.. and a poster for art.. and.. i guess my tube of black gouache paint was too old and i squeezed it the wrong way or something.. but it exploded all over the walls, the ceiling, the carpet, the mirror, and my bio, history, and art hw. this was 5 am on the day everything was due. -sigh- torture. i BSed the poster and got a D.. haha.. oh well, it's over.. i shall forever be wary of black tube paint.. ::sweatdrop::

sailor-moon
11-21-2002, 11:17 PM
kell!!!!!..so much talent... :::falls over and dies...again...::::

Usagi

Cyber Wolf
11-24-2002, 05:37 PM
Oh, the Marx brothers, always a plus. And the money, awesome! ^^

kelldar
11-27-2002, 05:44 PM
thanks guys!! ^_^ that one is still my favourite! the one I did the night I posted the original message turned out all right, but I didn't have as much freedom to as I liked this time. http://kellilla.com/art/misc/arsenicandoldlace.jpg I think that's it, if anyone would like to see.
I have two to do next semester, instead of one ><;