lainey
02-22-2004, 12:06 PM
aka Corner Con or Crappy Con or MTAC or whatEVER you want to call it :D

Who is going, and whatcha wearing ^_^

Battle Royale Group for moi!

Machiko
02-22-2004, 12:20 PM
me going with my sis on sunday ^__^-
i might be able to ask my friend to join me to go on sat....if she can make it... :thumbsup:

dunno if we're gonna cosplay lol....but if i finish my whitemage during the march break, i'll jump around in that, and i'll bring my dollies ^o^ if i can bring them all lol...dunno who i'll bring them...*scratches head* maybe i'll do my weird tray thingie idea...*wanders off talking to myself*

chocola_charat
02-22-2004, 01:05 PM
When is it? And where? I haven't heard anything about it. Ever ><;

mikcy
02-22-2004, 01:37 PM
Well, I'm going. I don't know if I'll be cosplaying. What I have planned for it is a simple dress that only takes a day to make, so we shall see. XD

:dance: :woah:

Minakolabelle
02-22-2004, 02:10 PM
Megra: BOX HEAD BOX HEAD BOX HEAD WOOO XD

Kia
02-22-2004, 02:20 PM
When is it? And where? I haven't heard anything about it. Ever ><;
http://www.hobbystar.com/TO-AnimeTrans/index.html
or even: http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=27786

As for MAC-TAC, I'm trying to at least attend on Saturday. If I do I'll probably be wearing my Ragnarok Online: Rogue costume. ^_^

EDIT: I have no money and will NO be be paying a dime for this. Not a cent. ^_^

Ryukka
02-22-2004, 03:20 PM
Mesa going~ not paying though.. I'll be going as Kana on Saturday, and Selphie on Sunday w00t!

mikcy
02-22-2004, 03:29 PM
Megra: BOX HEAD BOX HEAD BOX HEAD WOOO XD

LMAO YES SIR. I want to. Okay? Okay.

lainey
02-22-2004, 03:30 PM
Machiko finish your white mage!
*twirls*

dani
02-22-2004, 04:08 PM
Me going on saturday, hoping to debut my costume.

What's that non-paying stuff? How? where? who?

Dani

Machiko
02-22-2004, 04:14 PM
ppl just show up to meet, greet, and to take pics.
but if you don't plan to go into the dealer's room, you canhang out and not pay :)

and besides they open the dealer's room on the last day of the con, the last hour for FREE!!!! :) :) :)

dani
02-22-2004, 04:19 PM
ppl just show up to meet, greet, and to take pics.
but if you don't plan to go into the dealer's room, you canhang out and not pay :)
You mean the dealers room is the only part of the con you have to pay a ticket to get in? The rest is free? Including masquerade?

Dani

Minakolabelle
02-22-2004, 05:28 PM
Going as Lenne from FFX -2 wooo

Dani: I don't think they will have a masq at this one. Most people arn't paying sense these are just smaller off shoots of CNA so your basicaly paying $20 to shop and watch anime. You've gotta pay to do any thing official such as shopping, but there's nothing wrong with just showing up and chillaxing with teh rest of the non paying cosplayers.

dani
02-22-2004, 05:34 PM
Well... FREE is my favorite price... I shall be there....

Dani

lainey
02-22-2004, 06:13 PM
hobbystar won't get my money this time MUAHAHAHHAA!!!

archangeli
02-22-2004, 09:15 PM
*looks around* wasn't there already an M-TAC thread that disappeared?? oh well....

*mwa ha ha* I haven't contributed to the HobbyStar fund and I don't plan to EVER! (This is what happens when you're never in TO in August....)

On the other hand, whether I appear on Sat or Sunday depends entirely on when Kirby Morrow will be there.... :D

-----------------------------------------------

AH HA!! I found it!!

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=27786

well, it's prolly better to start a new "fresh" thread :p

JustinCredible
02-22-2004, 10:18 PM
I want to go... mostly to shop, take some pics and just hang. I miss CN already and AN is a couple of months away... :sniff:

Kia
02-22-2004, 11:16 PM
I want to go... mostly to shop, take some pics and just hang. I miss CN already and AN is a couple of months away... :sniff:
Dude, we haven't had good con hanging time since AN. I think time for some, don't you think? What's the possibility of you draging Steve-Dave along for some group mayhem?

kenhidaka
02-23-2004, 12:12 AM
Only attending Saturday and probably wearing Seifer (FF8).

Yeah I'm planning to not spend any money at Hobbystar either. They had nothing there I really wanted and I'm still iffed about the DVD box I bought last time. Stupid dubbing errors. I'm jsut gonna take pics, show off my costume and hang with the corner con. Power to the corner con! Cosplayers unite!

lainey
02-23-2004, 07:30 AM
yeah i think i made a thread before...but now it's gone O_o

Kia
02-23-2004, 09:05 AM
yeah i think i made a thread before...but now it's gone O_o
No, it's not gone. It just ended up getting bumped onto the second page of the forum by all these new threads. It's still there. Archangeli and I have both posted links to it.

lainey
02-23-2004, 07:30 PM
*bows*
I apologize

Kia
02-23-2004, 07:57 PM
*bows*
I apologize
^_^ :: hug :: That's okay, threads go missing all the time and people don't normally know where to look. ^_^

Kakei_Jubei
02-29-2004, 05:18 PM
OMG! Hobbystar _finally_ upadted their site!! 0o0
((If they did before I posted this... then I am sorry... T-T))

Mekou
02-29-2004, 09:07 PM
<_< Tons of posts are still open for the dinner after MacTac. ^_^ Actually, not many people have confirmed. ^^ If you would like to join, be sure to let me know. =)

<_< hm...do you think this topic should have it's own thread? <_< You know, so more people will know of it? ^^

archangeli
03-01-2004, 12:27 AM
OMG! Hobbystar _finally_ upadted their site!! 0o0
((If they did before I posted this... then I am sorry... T-T))

Updated, but still vague.

I'd like to see a schedule of events so I can plan ahead -_-'

Kia
03-01-2004, 12:46 AM
Keep in mind though, when Hobbystar says they have someone as a "guest" it probably means that they'ree trying to get a contract with the person to attend, they don't actually have one yet. They usually just advertise people without ahving them actually confirmed. That is why the main Sailor Moon voice actors usually don't turn up to CN, even thought they have been advertised. And it was they exact same thing with Ray Park, only he got alot of backlash over "not turning up".

Moral of the story: Because Hobbystar says one thing doesn't make it true.

Sarcasm-hime
03-01-2004, 02:57 AM
I'd be up for hanging out with peeps and taking pics, but there's no way I'll be paying $20 for their piece of crap con. -,-;;

Infini
03-01-2004, 03:28 AM
I'm looking forward to just hanging around in costume too. I would really like to get at least one picture of my Inuyasha costume, since cosplaylab has their new contest up. The costume is finished, but I have no way to get a half decent picture. I'm hoping I'll be able to get one at TAC to use, although that's a little too close to the contest closing...
I'm not paying for TAC either, since I need to save money for AN costumes, but I'm going for both days, I hope. I'm probably rewearing my Yuna costume if I get the obi embroidered in time, I'm wearing my Inuyasha costume for sure, and also my Kikyo costume if the wig arrives before then.

-Infini

Kia
03-01-2004, 08:24 AM
I'd be up for hanging out with peeps and taking pics, but there's no way I'll be paying $20 for their piece of crap con. -,-;;
Sarcasm, just think of that $20 as an ..... "Optional" fee. ^_^ I know I certainly do!

Brita_Lee
03-01-2004, 10:44 AM
I am going as Dejiko! ^^ Nyo! I like paying to go to the dealers room, cuz I live in a small town 45 minutes away from Toronto, and It's hard for me to find anime anywhere else (I also am too lazy to get a liscense so I can't drive myself anywhere) I am at the mercy of my parents as far as that goes. But cons allow me to get what I want. ^^ I really hope to hang out with you people at the con. I'm shy around strangers so please feel free to say, "Hi Britt!" if you see a Dejiko with long brown hair (I don't think I'm gonna get a wig so nyah!) :dance: <-- I like this guy!

Kakei_Jubei
03-01-2004, 10:58 PM
I am going as Dejiko! ^^ Nyo! I like paying to go to the dealers room, cuz I live in a small town 45 minutes away from Toronto, and It's hard for me to find anime anywhere else (I also am too lazy to get a liscense so I can't drive myself anywhere) I am at the mercy of my parents as far as that goes. But cons allow me to get what I want. ^^ I really hope to hang out with you people at the con. I'm shy around strangers so please feel free to say, "Hi Britt!" if you see a Dejiko with long brown hair (I don't think I'm gonna get a wig so nyah!) :dance: <-- I like this guy!
lol! Well, same here a bit... I _would_ get a drivers license... but I am too young, and I cant get that many anime stuff... so ya...

((I'm still Unknown Riku!!))

Infini
03-01-2004, 11:26 PM
Getting a license doesn't really make things any easier... I've got a license and car, and it's still a problem to make the hour long drive to Toronto for anything.

I'm thinking of just driving up both days for TAC, but I'm worried about parking and costume/prop hauling. I don't know the area around the convention center very well, so I hope there's a good (close) place to park...

JustinCredible
03-01-2004, 11:36 PM
Getting a license is overrated. Transit is your best friend!

As for this con... 'Stay tuned for Nitro'

dani
03-01-2004, 11:42 PM
The MTCC has parking underneath. Lots. You can even park by the south side (close to the Gardiner, south of the CN Tower) and walk through the inside walkways to the north side.

Parking fees are somewhat stiff (don't be surprised if they ask $20 for the day) but I usually agree on paying that, just to have my car (and everything I remember to fit in it) within COVERED walking distance, plus the time I save from looking for cheaper parking, and then walking back to the convention centre.

Dani

Minakolabelle
03-02-2004, 12:40 AM
Infiniti: there is parking across the street from the northe building that is cheeper (we pay like $12 for the weekend during CNA and we've never had any problems), although I forget which streets you take exactly to get there. you live in Cambarige right? PM me and we can work some thing out about getting there sence I think I'm heading up to TAC with my mother that day sence she wants to go shopping with a friend.

nuriko001
03-02-2004, 12:47 AM
hehhe.. would you believe me if I told you at oct tac.... i paid i think around 5 dollars for parking:) hehehehe.. actually ... was it10? not sure. but it was chhhhheaaap

lainey
03-02-2004, 08:24 AM
$20 is too much for parking...
]
TTC it ^_^

Brita_Lee
03-02-2004, 10:28 AM
I'm 18 and I still have no interest in getting my G1 yet. My dad asked me to at least get that for the time being to make things eaier on myself bu....we'll see. As for transportation, I usually meet up with my friends at one of their houses, we stay the night, then either get a ride from their parents to a go station or we walk toa bus stop, depends on where we are, Hamilton or my hometown. >.<

I'm thirsty. :drink:

Kia
03-02-2004, 10:38 AM
Getting a license is overrated. Transit is your best friend!

hehehe, Pedestrian Boy! :p

btw- minor costume setbacks.... will try and have somethign ready for the con, but can't guarentee anythign.

Spatx
03-02-2004, 05:20 PM
I have no new costumes for TAC! March Break has been dedicated to costume making, so I don't know If I'll be coming at all. Hm.. I guess I won't be missing too much - But it would be really nice to at least see peple again. Maybe I can throw together a quick costume.. Like Ryuichi from Gravitation! I already own all the clothes except for blue jeans. lol. And I have a cowboy hat in my closet. Not to mention my hair is cut short and already browwn. Wee! XD

I have a lot of hats in my closet actually.. Pirate, Cowboy, Winter, Summer, Baseball, Goggles.. I think my room needs a good cleaning. :razz:

kenhidaka
03-02-2004, 11:56 PM
I think I paid 15 for mine. But the walk to and from the con never bothered me one bit. I can understand if you're dragging some weapon or items for your char then the closer the better but since I try to avoid doing characters that lug big weapons, it makes it easier for me plus most of my costumes kinda blend in with the crowd. (ex. Joey Wheeler's Battle City Outfit (Nov TAC) and Ken Hidaka (Mar TAC)). I know my Seifer costume should be carrying a gunblade with him (heard it way too many times from other cosplayers) but I don't have the time to make it and if I did, it would most likely break the 1st day I bring it out. :waaaah: :drink: :eeek:

heki-chan
03-03-2004, 12:06 AM
i think i'll just be me @ TAC....ya....

lainey
03-03-2004, 08:24 AM
no you're going as Noriko *thwaps*

Brita_Lee
03-03-2004, 10:48 AM
I have no new costumes for TAC! March Break has been dedicated to costume making, so I don't know If I'll be coming at all. Hm.. I guess I won't be missing too much - But it would be really nice to at least see peple again. Maybe I can throw together a quick costume.. Like Ryuichi from Gravitation! I already own all the clothes except for blue jeans. lol. And I have a cowboy hat in my closet. Not to mention my hair is cut short and already browwn. Wee! XD

I have a lot of hats in my closet actually.. Pirate, Cowboy, Winter, Summer, Baseball, Goggles.. I think my room needs a good cleaning. :razz:

AAH! You have goggles??? So cool!!!

lainey
03-04-2004, 04:21 PM
i just got something from hobbystar today...
i really don't like the idea of "cosplay idol"
>_<
why couldn't they have a regular masq where you can enter with friends?!

Spatx
03-04-2004, 04:58 PM
I know! >_< I got mailed the same thing. There's no way I'm paying 20 dollars for one day, and one event. Cosplay Idol is just not something I'm interested in, and they said it will be fan voted - and we all know that the fans will chose thier favorite characters over someone who has done an amazing costume from a lesser known series. Doesn't sound fun nor fair to me. I'd have faaar too much stage fright. X_X

Minakolabelle
03-04-2004, 05:52 PM
well I definetly won't be competeing in the cosplay idol thing >_< I'm just going to go hang out and be in a non me costume >_>;

and we all know that the fans will chose thier favorite characters over someone who has done an amazing costume from a lesser known series. Doesn't sound fun nor fair to me.

I aggree with that completely. Xiloa brought up a good point at halloween with this (note i am NOT bashing ctrl-a with this. Although I no longer have tiem to attened i still love that club) A person can make the most amazing costume at a con but sence it may not be popular people would rather vote for their fave character/popular characters at the moment. If there is *any* fanservice given buy a person in the "competetion" then of course the said person will have tons of responce from the opposite sex in the audence. Like my Lenne, it's boob and asstastic so all I'd have to do to "survive" a round is like bend over @_@;;

Also they say they have "celberity" judges. So are they saying that Scott, Brad, Kirby, and Chris are going to be judging it? We all know Scott is a con regular up here so he ovbiously has con friends here as well, you don't think that he wouldn't want one of his con friends to win over people he doesn't know? I'm not implying that he would, just giving another reason why this "cosplay idol" thing is ass in my books.

Long rant aside, hobby star is just trying to make it sound wonderful so that people are willing to shell out the $20 to shop and watch anime they can rent for $3 a pop. They've even added a hotel to get people to come for both days; when most of us know it'll probally be cheeper for any of us to get there by any method of transprotation for both days. I think after TAC they realized that most people arn't willing to drop cash just to shop and would rather show up at the location just to hang out. I remember the "their taking away the masq cause hobby star is losing money" scare we had a while back, but it was stated several times that the masq is the biggest part of a anime con, there for the most appealing. After their lack luster attendace at TAC I'm quite sure they created "cosplay idol" in hopes that it'll have the same effect as having a masq there.

But I'm starting to be redundent and over analizing a stimple costume contest so I'll shut up now :X

nuriko001
03-04-2004, 07:07 PM
unless there is an actual analysis and critique of the craftsmanship for htis 'cosplay idol' it won't work. more over, unlike american idol were there is screwd critisim.. if that were to happen in cosplay it would be unfair.. to those who are just learning how to sew comparted to the more skilled etc..

i do not agree with this idea.. but it the prize is moola ( need cash..)... we'll see HAHAHA.. yeah right.. it's bull

Ochika
03-04-2004, 07:42 PM
well i cant wait for TAC. its another excuse for me and my friend to dress as skanky cat girls. go naria and eriya!! teheh, escept this time my costume isnt craptacular. gona redo the costume so i dont almost pop out with everystep i take and so the thing around my hips dont dig into my flesh.. i remeber at the con in march me and my friend were like the most popular cosplyers ther...pictures every step i took x.X but theres always the creepy stalker... old man kissing my friends hand...and the other one taking pics of out feet...odd.....odd

heki-chan
03-04-2004, 07:51 PM
i just got something from hobbystar today...
i really don't like the idea of "cosplay idol"
>_<
why couldn't they have a regular masq where you can enter with friends?!

So wait..let me get this straight...

Hobbystar wants us to PAY to go to TAC, then PROVIDE their "convention" with an event that THEY get revenues for?

*cough* :untrust:

I wouldn't mind doing it just for fun, but at the same time I think it'll have a huge negative effect on the Canadian cosplay community as a whole.

Cosplay Idol
Are you the next Idol? Put on your best costume and flaunt it for our celebrity judges. They will make their comments and then the audience will vote to decide who makes it through to the final round! Prizes to won, fun to be had. Perhaps you could be the next Cosplay Idol!

^ from hobbystar's site

we all know that no one likes to lose. its human nature.
so...isnt this 10x worse? wouldnt the cosplayers who get "voted/kicked off" feel 100x more shitty?

I think this is a baddddd idea--but i guess it depends on how everyone's attitudes are about it going in. *shrug*

I have no idea.

Spatx
03-04-2004, 08:29 PM
Hobbystar wants us to PAY to go to TAC, then PROVIDE their "convention" with an event that THEY get revenues for?

Yep. That about sums it up from my perspective too. :eeek:

I mean - they want us to pay to give thier convention entertainment? It seems kind of like a joke to me.

I think were all over analyzing this, but I find 'Cosplay Idol' a bad idea. If I got kicked out, I would feel like a failure. I mean - I already have anough stage fright and worries in a masq, this would make me feel like crap. It might be fun - (If I was dressed up from a popular series!). However, the costumes I'm making this year are all lesser known. Katan's child uniform, and Towa from Kaikan Phrase. Well, there goes any chance I would have to go to the next level of that competition. :untrust:

At least in the masquerade, nobody loses! I've had an awesome time for the 2 masqs I've been in. I haven't won anything, but I still felt like a winner for getting up there and doing something. :)

archangeli
03-04-2004, 09:08 PM
RE: Cosplay Idol

as long as no one sings, all shall be well

-_-'

and besides, we know that HobbyStar is a money sucking machine. this is SO something they would come up with.... there's no consideration for the time and love we put into our costumes :hafha:

Scoti
03-04-2004, 09:26 PM
I think hobbystar is just being too lazy to put together a normal Masq. But it MIGHT be fun depending on how harsh the judges are. However, if it's really up to the audience on who wins it's going to be a fan service award... :sulk:

and who are these "celebrity judges" anyway...?

lainey
03-04-2004, 09:37 PM
it's also unfair...

i.e. a novice going up against a master?

i don't want it to be in such a negative competition.

masq is fun because we get to present a skit together and have a blast.

and yeah, i'm not PAYING to "work" for hobbystar!!

Kia
03-04-2004, 09:42 PM
I think it's about time Hobbystar knows how much we don't like their half-assed ideas. Hopefully they'll figure it out at least a little bit from their lack of participants in this stupid Cosplay Idol idea and perhaps as well from the small amount of people who seem to actually be willing to pay to "attend" their cheesy con. But do you really think they'll get it? From the looks of it alot of people are planning to attend this mini con. Even though they don't intend to pay there's still the attendance factor. The more people who come = the more people who will actually turn up to pay, which seems to defeat the whole "Hey Hobbystar, you suck!" idea. And no matter what there WILL be people who pay and then enter this Cosplay Idol crap.... sorry, I htink I'm just going around in circles here... I just wish Hobbystar was a person so I could kick them in the ass.

Scoti
03-04-2004, 09:48 PM
well it doesn't really matter if people are there or not either way HS isn't making any money by watching us sit around..so in a way they still suck enough that we're not paying them.

Kia
03-04-2004, 10:36 PM
But you have to admit that a crowd of people hanging around the con space (in costume or not) is like free advertising for them anyway...

archangeli
03-04-2004, 11:33 PM
But you have to admit that a crowd of people hanging around the con space (in costume or not) is like free advertising for them anyway...

but they will realize that something is not right when they add up their money. there will be more bodies than money :jjacks:

kenhidaka
03-05-2004, 12:01 AM
The thing is, Hobbystar doesn't get the idea that Nov con wasn't as special as before and thinking adding things like a contest that rip off of other shows but making it sound "fun" will attract more customers to add money to their pockets. Nope, ain't gonna happen. When are they gonna realize TAC is more of a anime social gathering than a con. 15 more days till TAC.

dani
03-05-2004, 12:13 AM
15 more days till TAC.
Yikes!! And Fabricland removed the trim I need from their shelves till next christmas.....
Dani

Minakolabelle
03-05-2004, 02:59 AM
sence there is a tone of good points/comments here I'm not going to quote ever one just use everyones names so if a screw some ones comments up please don't shoot me ^^;

Winnie: I aggree with you, Canadian cosplay as a whole is pertty much dram free compaired to some of the other wars I have seen going on. But just like you said it's human nature to not wanna lose it's also human nature to dislike other people for various reasons. This cosplay idol thing is just going to fuel the hidden hatered people may have of each other if there is some there. Just like any talent competeition them thoughs *will* come up of person X if voted off before Person Y. Even if they try to market it as fun, the bottom line is it's still a competeition.

Spatex: I fell that when people do get kicked off it's just going to be like public himulation cause like OMFG we're not dress up as Inu yasha or Yuna. (not to dis them their just popular)

At least with the masq at AN and CNA we have a comforting atmoshpere in the green room so it make you feel welcome to be there. To me it doesn't feel like a competition when I'm in the green room at the masq, it's more like we're all just part of one big varity show. If you win some thing then it's nice; but if you didn't at least you have the fact that you over came your fear of stage fright, even if it's just a little bit, which I fell is more important then wining things.

Archangeli: when did they ever care about the amount fo work that we put into our costumes? as far as they see it we're just wasting a good chunk of our saturday that we could have spent shoppping -_-;;

Scoti: that's what I said, kinda. I can tell you the winner will be either a girl who is willing to show the most T&A or a guy who is willing to do the same.

I'm still sticking with it's going to be Scott, Kirby, Brad, and Chris as teh "celberity" judges XD;

Lainey: I think this is the one competetion that what ever you masq rank is won't matter. it's all about the fan service -_-;;

Kia: yes we are advertising to them, but that's unavoidible. unless there is another hair show that weekend, then we can say were with them >:D
yes there will be people that pay, but no matter how much cosplayers hate hobbystar there is always the non cosplayers that love the idea of TAC and are willing to pay, I think we must corrupt them. Plus they added the pay $20 and you get into the anime and transformers con factor. My cuz is willing to pay the $20 for the transformers "con" but won't enter the anime part of it for some unknown reason.

Dani: fabricland always does special orders if you ask them, so if you still need some just ask them and they should be able to help you out.

Eleryth
03-05-2004, 03:07 AM
I know next to nothing about this con, but does hobbystar have an email address? Why not just write them, and ask how they came up with it, or whatever? And if you don't like it, write them and tell them why. Or just outright boycott it all together. There's enough people in Toronto to make any sort of cosplay get-together. Someone can just organize something, if you are all going to just hang out... like, a picnic in the park, or lunch and movie day, or just photoshoot and coffee time, or hanging out at the mall, or purikura trip (print club), or something. It sounds like that's all you want, anyway.

Or, while you are there, if you attend this "convention", find someone in charge, and talk to them. Perhaps not in costume, because they might take you more seriously (esp since it sounds like they don't know a lot about the cosplay community anyway).

It will only cause drama, that's for sure. Idol contests are popularity contests, and that's it. Bad move. I don't want Canada becoming drama filled. It's already sorta close.

JustinCredible
03-05-2004, 10:42 AM
I know next to nothing about this con, but does hobbystar have an email address? Why not just write them, and ask how they came up with it, or whatever? And if you don't like it, write them and tell them why. Or just outright boycott it all together.

INDEED!!!!! :bigtu:

Also,
the timing of this con and the actual filming of Canadian Idol, who wants to bet that CTV demands that no one tapes the event... again.

My opinion on it...
If you want to compete, do it. But understand that thickskins are needed in this type of event. I'll admit that 'Cosplay Idol' isn't the way to go for this community, a simple masq would have done fine. But what is done is done, the only thing we can do is to compete or not and when its all over voice opinons to Hobbystar as to what can be changed or if it should even be done again.

Brita_Lee
03-05-2004, 10:45 AM
Maybe I'm naive, but I don't see the big problem and anger towards hobbystar.

First off, the reason they probably make these so called "cheap tricks" to "steal" your money is because you do not pay that extra ten bucks to shop.

Second, Why are you so upset with this idol idea? Yes, it is a really rip-off idea but it's only for fun.

I doubt they do these things just to spite you, they want you to have fun, and honestly, I like these cons. It's better than only having Anime North to go to, I don't know about you, but I would explode if I had to wait a whole year to go to a con.

JustinCredible
03-05-2004, 11:25 AM
Maybe I'm naive, but I don't see the big problem and anger towards hobbystar.

First off, the reason they probably make these so called "cheap tricks" to "steal" your money is because you do not pay that extra ten bucks to shop.

Second, Why are you so upset with this idol idea? Yes, it is a really rip-off idea but it's only for fun.

I doubt they do these things just to spite you, they want you to have fun, and honestly, I like these cons. It's better than only having Anime North to go to, I don't know about you, but I would explode if I had to wait a whole year to go to a con.

You have to understand that hobbystar is a buisness and they aren't really focused with everyone having fun, at the end of the day they have to worry if this endevour is profitable. Now to be profitable, it is in their best interests to keep their customers happy. There are people who say they do this and others that say that they don't. Neither side is wrong, both are entitled to their opinion.

Some people might not enjoy the show that Hobbystar provides and would rather go to AN or TT, those who like them all and there are those who hate the later and enjoy the former.

Now those who don't like Hobbystar should direct their criticism to them in hopes that they clean up their act. BUT, many say that hobbystar doesn't listen to them. I don't find so in my dealings with them, but I shouldn't or wouldn't tell them that what they experienced didn't happen. Even I, whom would usually defend hobbystar cons, have had bad experiences with some employees; but I make it be known in hopes that past wrongs will be corrected in the future.

I personally don't want to see cons leave our area, regardless of who is running them. Anyways I have been going to CN for about 7 or 8 years now, I have seen some of the best and worst and I will continue to support and criticize to improve the con.

As for people's beef about 'Cosplay Idol':
1) Celebrity judges means that workpersonship probably won't be a factor in choosing who wins, also they might not appreciate costumes that aren't well known.
2) The audience choosing the winners means, as before, well known costumes might not be appreciated. Also fanservicing outfits might sway the crowd to choose a less then stealer cosplayer over a better one.
3) Creating a astomsphere of compeition isn't what many people want. At regular masq, each person performs and after the masq... awards are given out. In this event, people are elminated and criticized for their entries... not something people really want to be a part of. And honestly who wants to be the first one out?

Wowie RAMBLE SOUP! :jjacks:

kenhidaka
03-05-2004, 06:07 PM
I'm not trying to badmouth TAC. It's not like I hate going to it but I know then can improve on it so much better. I know it's best to send these complaints to the guys higher up but if it's only one person, they'll most likely ignore them. But if a group petitioned to change some of the events or add new cost-efficent ones, then maybe they'll perk their ears up and listen. But we have to make our voice heard. We are the lifeline of cons. If we are gone, they are gone and they must take that into considerbale consideration.

Kakei_Jubei
03-05-2004, 07:13 PM
I'm not trying to badmouth TAC. It's not like I hate going to it but I know then can improve on it so much better. I know it's best to send these complaints to the guys higher up but if it's only one person, they'll most likely ignore them. But if a group petitioned to change some of the events or add new cost-efficent ones, then maybe they'll perk their ears up and listen. But we have to make our voice heard. We are the lifeline of cons. If we are gone, they are gone and they must take that into considerbale consideration.
Yay for kenhidaka!!! ^-^ That tis a good idea... But y'know, I've only been cosplaying for not even a year... so I never knew for sure if Hobbystar is 'bad'... but... when I went to the November con... it t'was pOOp!! >_>

lainey
03-05-2004, 09:44 PM
the funny thing is, hobbystar should be THANKFUL that we are taking the time to voice our opinions to improve their conventions so that more people would go.

if i were hobbystar, and people were complaining about things, i would look into it.

i would also look at other conventions such as anime north, and see WHY it is the favourite and go from there.

if hobbystar wants profit, they should improve their conventions.

every business needs to improve/invest in their business. so hobbystar better wake up soon.

JustinCredible
03-05-2004, 11:56 PM
Complaining on message boards, forums and blogs are one thing, but directing complaints via a properly formatted letter can do wonders.

I once heard that Moses got the Red Sea to part with a nicely written memo! :bigtu:

kenhidaka
03-06-2004, 12:17 PM
Yeah you guys see what I mean but the thing is we can't let Hobbystar know from just one person, they got to know from everyone around. I believe they should listen to our opinions and our ideas. Who knows? Maybe if they do listen, TAC would actually be a good con to rival against AN.

Eleryth
03-08-2004, 06:29 PM
I am posting this here, too, so it isn't missed. I already posted in the other MAC-TAC thread.

WARNING: LONG POST

Here's the contact information. It's never too late to try. This convention is 2 weeks away, and at least you can make your voice heard BEFORE the event. If enough people speak up, who's to say they won't change it? Things change last minute at cons anyway. I can't think of a single con I have attended that didn't have some sort of last minute alteration.

E-mail info@hobbystar.com
Phone 416-761-1760
Fax 416-761-1751
Mailing Address
Hobby Star Marketing
4 Varsity Rd.
Toronto, ON
M6S 4N4
Canada
SciFi/Anime Info Line 416-761-1750

We should try to see a solution, instead of focus on the problem. It sounds like we all have the same idea of what the basic problem is... so, lets put it into words and send it to them. As kaijugal's sig says, "you have to be the change you want to see in the world"- if you want to change the cosplay world, you must do something.

A sample letter/email (because I have nothing better to do at work):

Dear Hobbystar,

As a citizen of the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) and a member of the cosplay community, I am writing to express my concern over an event planned for Toronto AnimeCON, March 20-21, 2004. The event in question is the ‘Cosplay Idol’ contest.

The details for this contest are few, and therefore I base the idea of how it will run on past Idol events (American Idol, Candaian Idol, etc.). I believe this type of event would discourage new costumers from entering, for fear of the audience backlash and unwelcome comments and criticism. As well, having the audience choose their favorite cosplayer would reduce the contest to one of popularity. Those dressed as popular characters (for example, Yuna from Final Fantasy) or in skimpier costumes, also known as ‘fanservice costumes’, (for example, Faye Valentine from Cowboy Bebop) would have a better chance at winning. This is something we, as a cosplay/costuming community, are trying to stay away from. Costuming is not a popularity contest – it has been, and should be about the costume (how well it fits, how well it’s made, and so on) and sometimes the performance in the costume (if they act like the character).

The average audience member would not know a well constructed or difficult to make garment, and even if they could, there’s no way they would be able to tell from a position in the audience. As well, many people enter rare costumes, from little heard of manga, anime, or video games. As I have seen from Masquerades, the popular characters that the audience knows get a better reaction than the unknown characters, even if the lesser-known costume is better constructed. It is fortunate that these Masquerades are evaluated by judges who do their best to remain partial, and not on audience participation.

I believe a masquerade type event with experienced judges (possibly with a few celebrity judges) would be a great benefit to this convention, and in fact, draw more entries than a Cosplay Idol contest. It gives every costumer an even chance, and rewards those who put lots of hard work into their costumes. If this type of event cannot be held, I would rather see a Fashion Show instead of a Cosplay Idol event, as then the costumers can show off their costumes, but not worry about being the most popular (instead of the most skilled). If the Cosplay Idol contest is held, this costumer will not be attending, neither as a cosplayer nor as an audience member.

I thank you for your time and consideration in this matter. I felt I had to speak up as a concerned member of this community, or else our voice might not be heard.

Sincerely,
(your name)

Feel free to edit as you see fit. Wrote this in about 15 minutes this morning, for something to do. I would actually send one, if there was any possibility of me attending. If this doesn't seem like something you want to do individually, then alter it, print it, and get people to sign it? Although, I think sending letters/emails of concern (remember to keep a copy with date and time for your records) is a better route. Good luck to everyone.

Chosuke
03-10-2004, 07:58 AM
We should have a hallway masquerade.
Not judged really, just a big gathering of us people.
And I know from previous experience that "mass of cosplayers = mass of people"

I wouldn't put it past us getting an audience while we flaunt our costumes and maybe a skirt or two just for fun.

questions: when the hell is this thing anyway?

nuriko001
03-10-2004, 08:02 AM
* how about..people just give other people pats on the back for their great efforts.. no need for materialistic reward:)

dani
03-10-2004, 09:04 AM
I wouldn't put it past us getting an audience while we flaunt our costumes and maybe a skirt or two just for fun.
I'll be wearing two. Count me in :)

dani

Brita_Lee
03-10-2004, 01:28 PM
We should have a hallway masquerade.
Not judged really, just a big gathering of us people.
And I know from previous experience that "mass of cosplayers = mass of people"

That would be halarious! I think it's a neat idea. ^-^

dani
03-10-2004, 01:38 PM

I'll bring my doble-skirt flaunting routine on march the 20th.

Dani

Ryukka
03-10-2004, 07:52 PM
Colleen: Next weekend XD March 20-21st yupppp

Spatx
03-10-2004, 09:34 PM
I think I changed my mind and will be going on Saturday just to hang out and have some fun. ^_^ Buut.. I don't think I will be paying, because I'm not buying anything and I'm not going to be doing 'cosplay idol'. I was thinking of wearing my Seymour costume when I go - but it takes way too much prep time and I'll be by myself. So I'll have to wear something else.. hmm.. Maaybee I can get Katan done, but that involves wearing shorts. I hope its not too cold. Lol

Maki Yu.Ki.Ame
03-10-2004, 10:24 PM
but they will realize that something is not right when they add up their money. there will be more bodies than money :jjacks:

maybe they noticed us last time hanging around and not paying and they try to fix the problem but again didn't do a good job coz they didn't know at we want...........

so, this cos. idol thing is just walking up the stage and comming down???

Infini
03-11-2004, 05:11 AM
Anyone know what time it starts/ends at? I've checked their site, but there's nothing about times.

I'm only going for the Saturday after all, and only for a couple of hours since my car broke again and I've got to rely on other people to drive me around... I'm only going to bring my Inuyasha costume, since the other costumes aren't going to be done in time, and it's only a little con. :)

-Infini
I can't wait until March is over. -_-;

archangeli
03-11-2004, 08:40 AM
Anyone know what time it starts/ends at? I've checked their site, but there's nothing about times.

I'm only going for the Saturday after all, and only for a couple of hours since my car broke again and I've got to rely on other people to drive me around... I'm only going to bring my Inuyasha costume, since the other costumes aren't going to be done in time, and it's only a little con. :)

-Infini
I can't wait until March is over. -_-;

from what i remember, the con opened at 10am on Sat last year.

and while thing like the art room and artist alley close at 8pm, there's the masquerade (which always runs late) and the the jpop dance that go into the wee hours of the morning.

Kia
03-11-2004, 11:35 AM
from what i remember, the con opened at 10am on Sat last year.

and while thing like the art room and artist alley close at 8pm, there's the masquerade (which always runs late) and the the jpop dance that go into the wee hours of the morning.
Um..... since when does MAC TAC have a masquerade? Or a Jpop dance? Not even CN has that. ... I'm not trying to be rude, but I think you may be thinking about Anime North instead...
As for MAC TAC, 10 is the usually starting time for a Hobbystar saturday con, and I figure it'll end around 6pm with the possibility of the "Cosplay Idol" contest starting afterwards, but I don't think anyone really knows for sure...

Sarcasm-hime
03-11-2004, 02:04 PM
Dammit...I wanted to wear my Emerald Lolita dress but I still haven't gotten my Amphigory makeup order yet! I ordered it ages ago but according to their order tracking thingy it still hasn't been sent out yet...which means I won't have sparkly green lipstick & eyeshadow for TAC. Bleh.

Mekou
03-11-2004, 02:47 PM
I e-mailed hobbystar about the opening and closing times.

Here was my answer: "11 to 6 both Sat. and Sun."

So there you have it. ^_^\\//

dani
03-11-2004, 03:27 PM
I e-mailed hobbystar about the opening and closing times.
I KNEW there had to be someone with brains in the group... :)

Thanks

Dani

JustinCredible
03-11-2004, 06:07 PM
Um..... since when does MAC TAC have a masquerade? Or a Jpop dance?

:runs to get flyer:
In the Transformers Expo section it reads:
Transformers Cosplay Dance
See Cosplay Idol under Anime features...

no where else is it listed or mentioned.

archangeli
03-11-2004, 06:56 PM
sorry... totally spaced out...

i was thinking about AN last year. ignore me ^__^

kenhidaka
03-11-2004, 09:57 PM
:runs to get flyer:
In the Transformers Expo section it reads:
Transformers Cosplay Dance
See Cosplay Idol under Anime features...

no where else is it listed or mentioned.

Ok then how come it's in the flyer but not on the website? *scratches head*

Kia
03-11-2004, 10:31 PM
sorry... totally spaced out...

i was thinking about AN last year. ignore me ^__^
:: hug :: That's okay. It happens to the best of us. ^_^

Transformers Cosplay Dance?!?!?! WTH?!?

lainey
03-11-2004, 10:36 PM
transformers cosplay dance?

i'm worried...
though i won't see it...
*saved*

Kia
03-11-2004, 10:42 PM
transformers cosplay dance?

i'm worried...
though i won't see it...
*saved*
^_^ If none of us pay to attend then I think most of us will be spared. ^_^
Hallelujah! :jjacks:

JustinCredible
03-12-2004, 09:40 AM
^_^ If none of us pay to attend then I think most of us will be spared. ^_^
Hallelujah! :jjacks:

Come on....
A room of people doing the robot, or should I say... autobot.... :thumbsup:

dani
03-12-2004, 10:14 AM
One week to the con....

By now you all know I'll be there, you all know what I'll be wearing, and some of you know how shy I am... :) So if you spot me please do come, introduce yourself and let's have a laugh and a pic.

Dani

Mekou
03-12-2004, 10:20 AM
I'm shy too. ^^; But..<.< I'll make sure I eat a few sugar treats before I arrive, then then I'll be too hyper to care. X3. I definatley wanna try out my new digicam and go take pics of everyone. =D

nyamiko_chan
03-12-2004, 12:16 PM
POCKY!! Ihave to bring pocky cuz I'm Kia's pocky bizatch XD~ I wish I could find giant pocky ;O;

XD~ the autobot *shudders* I'm scared now o_o..

btw, if I can find the right fabric I should be wearing Preist Mahaado from YuGiOh to TAC ^_^Vm yay!! Cosplay!
I can't wait! One more week exacally today *twirls*

Kia
03-12-2004, 12:24 PM
POCKY!! Ihave to bring pocky cuz I'm Kia's pocky bizatch XD~ I wish I could find giant pocky ;O;

XD~ the autobot *shudders* I'm scared now o_o..

btw, if I can find the right fabric I should be wearing Preist Mahaado from YuGiOh to TAC ^_^Vm yay!! Cosplay!
I can't wait! One more week exacally today *twirls*
Yay!! ^_^ POCKY!!

yeah.... I'm with you on the Autobot thing... kind of tempted to hang around and try and crash the "dance" just to catch a glimpse of the horror...

Sarcasm-hime
03-12-2004, 01:30 PM
I have severe doubts as to how well anyone could dance in a mecha costume. Or how many people would have mecha costumes in the first place. I'm wondering what they're thinking. Maybe they mean "Transformers AND Cosplay Dance"....since it's a Transformers/Anime Con.

lainey
03-12-2004, 04:14 PM
a cosplay dance?

Sarcasm...i highly doubt it... come on... since when would hobbystar pull something like that.

Kia
03-12-2004, 05:19 PM
a cosplay dance?

Sarcasm...i highly doubt it... come on... since when would hobbystar pull something like that.
I wouldn't put it past them if it was just a ploy to get people to actually pay for the con, yet it didn't actually exist. They do that with the special guests. What's stopping them this time?
Dance + Hobbystar = no way in hell
They don't even have a dance at CN, which is the more logical place to have one.

Infini
03-13-2004, 06:38 AM
Ahhh TAC's only a week away and I haven't got anything finished! I've only got my Inuyasha costume minus sword, and now I really want to use a different red material and remake the whole costume. Well, maybe I can have the big sword done in time for the con if I don't sleep next week at all. -_-

I'm a shy person as well, but I'll try to say hello to people I recognize...

-Infini

dani
03-13-2004, 02:18 PM
According to the weather network ( http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/cities/can/Pages/CAON0696.htm ) spring won't be surprising us between now and next week, so I suggest bringing a coat or something (and maybe an umbrella too). In particular those of us with costumes into the skimpy side of things, and those of us who plan to walk outside, either from/to parking or to an after con dinner.

Dani

rox_my_sox
03-13-2004, 02:47 PM
im going on the saturday...and maybe the sunday...not sure yet. Im hopefully going to be going as black rose from .hack//INFECTION and maybe a Rikku costume. it depends what I get done over the march break...cant wait to see u all there,
p.s. dani i think ur going to look awsome and i totally have to take pictures ^_^

Mage
03-13-2004, 08:40 PM
I just looked at the website and, surprise surprise, the Features page is full of links that don't exist. Gotta love how it's less than a week before the con and yet the organisers haven't seen fit to let anyone know what's going on, aside from the info about Cosplay Idol.

Ryukka
03-13-2004, 09:21 PM
Haha what really makes me laugh about their site is how they say that they will have an Offical hotel, and it still says "coming soon" *snickers*

Kia
03-13-2004, 09:35 PM
Haha what really makes me laugh about their site is how they say that they will have an Offical hotel, and it still says "coming soon" *snickers*
A hotel is soooooooo not worth it for this con.... crash at a friend's house... don't bother wasting the money for a hotel room. Not worth it at all.

Ryukka
03-13-2004, 09:39 PM
Wasn't planning on it, its a 30 min drive for me. I just find it funny~

Kia
03-13-2004, 09:56 PM
Wasn't planning on it, its a 30 min drive for me. I just find it funny~
I completely agree. ^_^ I just don't agree with Hobbystar. :razz:

kenhidaka
03-14-2004, 12:56 AM
First a dance that makes no sense now a hotel to stay at for TAC? When I meant by having good ideas was not something to make it attract money but to attract cosplayers. Well, at least they're trying.

heki-chan
03-14-2004, 06:16 PM
i dun think im going anymore....damn work scheduled me on saturday from 2-6pm >_O;

but o well, not missing much lol ^_^;

Kia
03-14-2004, 06:28 PM
um... can someone show me where on the website they talk about a dance? I'm feeling really stupid and really blind, but I searched through it today and I just couldn't find it. Do you think they took it down b/c even they realized it made no sense?

Ryukka
03-14-2004, 07:10 PM
They sent out flyers.. it says on there under Transformers Cosplay Dance to "see Cosplay Idol under Anime Features" so... I'm assuming its just the same thing that HobbyStar's trying to make it look better then it really is or something..?

Otaking97
03-14-2004, 11:02 PM
Well if I gotta say one thing is AT LEAST they are doing a hell of a lot more than last time. I mean they jump the price up to $20 so at least they have about 4 times as much stuff going on. The whole Cosplay Idol thing may be a joke but at least it will be interesting. Money fell short and so our new Cosplay idea fell through until A.North and we just can't be bothered doing the Ping Pong Club again so were going in normal styling clothes.

Too bad no You Don't Know Anime though.....it's my favorite contest at A.North.

So in short it would seem that the TAC appears to be learing. Let's hope they are not showing all middle and end eps of almost every anime they are showing in the video rooms again....

Otaking

Arcueid
03-18-2004, 04:10 AM
i'm probably going to go on the saturday, and skip the admission-paying.
i think it'd be a good chance to take some great cosplay pics and make new friends to hang out with @ the upcoming anime north.. it's just a subway ride away, after all :thumbsup:

mikcy
03-18-2004, 08:53 AM
Okay well, I can't go anymore because it turns out on both days we're celebrating birthdays. >.> I tried begging my mom to let me go and I'll leave early to come back for dinner, but she said no. :(

Spatx
03-18-2004, 09:37 AM
Sucks that a lot of people can't make it. ;_; I'm going for socialization time. ^^ *feels alone and isolated this March Break* All my friends went on vacation, and I'm stuck here by myself. I figure going to TAC will at least get me out of the house. I'm cosplaying as Rasiel from Angel Sanctuary, and I'll probably get asked what school I go to when on the subway. hehe. It should be fun though, because I'm meeting Scoti there, and hopefully get a chance to talk to other people that I know from MSN/E-Mail. :D

dani
03-19-2004, 01:33 AM
Something not related to the con itself, but that might affect the environment, is that on the same day, at the same time, on the same MTCC (but in the south building) the Conservative Convention will be taking place.

Expect media, police, increased traffic both vehicular and human, and extra crowding at nearby bars, restaurants, coffeshops and parking lots.

Dani

Maki Yu.Ki.Ame
03-19-2004, 02:25 AM
seriously, the programs of this con is quite........>_>
only thing interest me as of now is that cosplay idol thing in wich AT MOST i will only attend as an audience......

Kaijugal
03-19-2004, 03:27 AM
It's official. I'm working Saturday. :eeek:

Best wishes that you have fun, (whatever your type of fun may be ;) ), at the Hobby Event everyone.

I look forward to your post weekend reports. ^_^ See you at Ad-Astra!

~Dawn :)

*sigh for working*... :walkoff: