PDA

View Full Version : Yoshi in progress!

Quarla
02-25-2004, 02:53 AM
Anyway.. here's my yoshi costume.. well only the head so far for it.. I have to pick up some black felt and glue the nostrils on.. hehe.. but other then that and the red spikes on the back of the head it's done. :D

http://207.158.23.135/quarla/YoshiHDa.jpg

I had some issues with the nose but I think even with those it looks pretty good. :D I can see out of it just fine too, that was a big concern of mine in the beginning. I just hope it isn't excruciatingly hot!

What does everyone think of it? :D

HowlinMadMurphy
02-25-2004, 03:08 AM
I like that you didn't pick a scary harsh lime green :P It looks really good! That spatial shit is hard, I'm impressed.

Quarla
02-25-2004, 03:14 AM
I like that you didn't pick a scary harsh lime green :P It looks really good! That spatial shit is hard, I'm impressed.

:D Yah, normal yoshi green SCARES me.. or at least it'd scare me on ME. I really wanted to do a light blue but they didn't have the material and this green was pretty so I didn't mind too much.

kiwi
02-25-2004, 03:17 AM
I like the color, too. It looks good and not deathly heavy, either. What did you use for a base? And can you really breathe in it? ^^;

Quarla
02-25-2004, 11:33 AM
I like the color, too. It looks good and not deathly heavy, either. What did you use for a base? And can you really breathe in it? ^^;

It's really not heavy at all. For the base I used plastic canvas (mesh type stuff) and I glued foam on it to give it a bit more shape. And breathing is just fine. The foam I glued on has lots of holes in the nose, and my nose is quite near the eyeholes--which are actual mesh--so I should be fine. :D But then again I haven't worn it for longer then 5 minutes. As AX gets closer I'm going to try to wear it more to get used to the heat and weight. ^^

kiwi
02-25-2004, 06:03 PM
Wow, you're wearing that to AX? You're either very, very brave and hardy, or very, very foolish ^^;; (Or perhaps just extremely heat tolerant?) I'm worried I'm going to fry, and I'm not even going to wear a wig two days (although I'll be commuting from the outside, so if you're staying in the hotel it presumably won't be as bad.)

Well, if I see you I'll definitely have to get a pic with you! I just love Yoshi and it looks like you've got the start of a really cute costume ^_^

Aer
02-25-2004, 06:48 PM
I love it! Really cute, and nice green ^_^

How did you make the eyes so you can see? Is all the black part just black mesh?? *masking a Knuckles mascot-style and wondering about the eyes*

Quarla
02-25-2004, 06:55 PM
Wow, you're wearing that to AX? You're either very, very brave and hardy, or very, very foolish ^^;; (Or perhaps just extremely heat tolerant?) I'm worried I'm going to fry, and I'm not even going to wear a wig two days (although I'll be commuting from the outside, so if you're staying in the hotel it presumably won't be as bad.)

Well, if I see you I'll definitely have to get a pic with you! I just love Yoshi and it looks like you've got the start of a really cute costume ^_^

I plan on drinking lots of cool fluids as well as other things to prevent myself from overheating. If worse comes to worse I'll only be able to be in costume an hour or so before I'll have to go change out to take a breather. :D I'm trying to work up a secondary costume so I won't have to be in normal garb but I don't know if I'll have the money after this. ;_; And you're welcome to get a picture with me. :D I'm sure tons of people will want them.

I love it! Really cute, and nice green ^_^
How did you make the eyes so you can see? Is all the black part just black mesh?? *masking a Knuckles mascot-style and wondering about the eyes*

Yup, the black pupils are mesh, four layers of screen actually. I had it laying around and it worked really well. I can see perfectly out of it and it's not at all easy to see in--unless I'm wearing my glasses and then you can see the glass.. but that won't be a problem since I don't plan on wearing them. ^^;

Scortia
02-25-2004, 10:09 PM
OMG so accurate! *_*

ayn*chan
02-25-2004, 10:12 PM
Can I pet you? <3

*Sugar*
02-25-2004, 10:32 PM
Hello, for criticism~ It's looking wonderful! Beautiful job!! But My main intent is to warn you! For a job, I had to dress in one of those giant mascot costumes {a dinosaur one As well~ XD }

this is a pic of the character~
http://www.angelfire.com/oh4/Ranma/side_corpinfo.gif

and in that costume, I had to Skate around, {including dancing on skates} and deal with birthday kids.. >_>;; The evil... But I insist, you MUST have another costume on hand~ It was soooooooo hot in that thing, sweat was dripping off my nose~ {Just alittle bit of a warning ~aside from the heat, and the smell <which you probably won't have to worry about since no one else besides you has worn it> The mascot costumes are reallllly fun to dress in!}

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product!! ^-^ :bigtu:

Earthprince
02-25-2004, 10:53 PM
I love it!!

Miaka No Baka
02-26-2004, 12:43 AM
look into mascot cooling devices. They make special vests and what not that you shove a bunch of ice packs in to help keep you cool. Also if you can try to get some of those computer fans, and put some in the head, some pulling air into the head, some pulling air out of the head that way you'll get a fresher air supply.

I wore a mascot costume to ax in 2001, my cactuar costume. I was able to survive it cept in the dealers room cause it was mad packed full of people. I also used that sharper image personal cooler thingie u place on your neck. But if you get that whole cooling vest dealie it'll be better for you.

Miaka no Baka

allyunion
02-26-2004, 03:58 AM
Very nice green... reminds me a Yoshi doll... Looks great!

Kitsune_rei
02-26-2004, 01:11 PM
Lookin' really awesome to me so far! I can't wait to see the finished thing ^_^. I don't think the nose looks funny really, I can tell you had minor problems but frankly I think it still looks great. Remember most people don't look at you from like inches away, but when you make the costume that's how you're looking at it ~_^.

Kit Foxfire
02-27-2004, 06:56 PM
awww that looks adorable! great job! ^_^

Quarla
03-01-2004, 03:47 AM
Hello, for criticism~ It's looking wonderful! Beautiful job!! But My main intent is to warn you! For a job, I had to dress in one of those giant mascot costumes {a dinosaur one As well~ XD }

this is a pic of the character~
http://www.angelfire.com/oh4/Ranma/side_corpinfo.gif

and in that costume, I had to Skate around, {including dancing on skates} and deal with birthday kids.. >_>;; The evil... But I insist, you MUST have another costume on hand~ It was soooooooo hot in that thing, sweat was dripping off my nose~ {Just alittle bit of a warning ~aside from the heat, and the smell <which you probably won't have to worry about since no one else besides you has worn it> The mascot costumes are reallllly fun to dress in!}

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product!! ^-^ :bigtu:

Ewwww... Just thinking of that costume you had to wear and doing the stuff you had to do.. I think I'd die. I'm glad I'm not going to be doing much else besides walking and maybe beating up my b/f for making fun of me.. or throwing eggs at anyone who dares make fun of me.. There is always someone.. *cough*

look into mascot cooling devices. They make special vests and what not that you shove a bunch of ice packs in to help keep you cool. Also if you can try to get some of those computer fans, and put some in the head, some pulling air into the head, some pulling air out of the head that way you'll get a fresher air supply.

I wore a mascot costume to ax in 2001, my cactuar costume. I was able to survive it cept in the dealers room cause it was mad packed full of people. I also used that sharper image personal cooler thingie u place on your neck. But if you get that whole cooling vest dealie it'll be better for you.

Miaka no Baka

I'm currently trying to find a unitard to keep the sweat from sticking to my body, but I need a full one, longsleeve, pants, turtleneckish, but I haven't really found one... well in my price range. The yoshi materials have already kinda tapped what I had saved for my costume. I'm not sure what I'm going to do now, and I know I can't afford one of those vests or a cooling device. ;_; I'm not quite sure how I'm going to deal with that. Might just do lots and lots of prep before the expo! ;_; Or beg my b/f for money.. not sure which yet.

Very nice green... reminds me a Yoshi doll... Looks great!

LOL, that's probably because I used one of my yoshi dolls as refrence. ^^;;;; That's good though, they're utterly adorable.

Thanks for all your support everyone! I'll post more when I get the guts to work on the actual costume. I'm still having issues planning the pattern. ;_;

Bobbi
03-01-2004, 10:22 AM
Oh, I love your Yoshi! So adorable!

I've worn a costume simular to Dejiko's before... I had to wear the DARE dinosaur costume. (big pink dino) My friends and I took turns wearing it for 15 minutes each becuase it was just too unbareably hot! We were in an air conditoned enviornment too, mind you. Not fun. >< All the little kids wanted to hug me too... I was like, go away. I swear I almost tripped over a few.

PikminLink
03-01-2004, 01:42 PM
i dont think there is anything to correct...^^heck its alot better than what i can do..and it looks really great, how do you people make those things ???!! *_*

i like it^____^

Quarla
03-01-2004, 01:48 PM
i dont think there is anything to correct...^^heck its alot better than what i can do..and it looks really great, how do you people make those things ???!! *_*

i like it^____^

Well it really wasn't as hard as I originally thought when I had the idea 'I'm going to make a yoshi costume!' At first it was really daunting because I didn't know what materials to use or how hard it'd turn out to be, but honestly it wasn't that bad. I have a few before pictures if anyone is curious. I didn't take that many but you can see how I started out and after I got the foam and batting on.. and then.. well there's the finished product.

And thanks. I'm happy with it so far. I just hope to god I can figure out how to get my tail to curl up like my little stuffies. That's proving quite frustrating atm.

*Sugar*
03-01-2004, 02:18 PM
Oh, I love your Yoshi! So adorable!

I've worn a costume simular to Dejiko's before... I had to wear the DARE dinosaur costume. (big pink dino) My friends and I took turns wearing it for 15 minutes each becuase it was just too unbareably hot! We were in an air conditoned enviornment too, mind you. Not fun. >< All the little kids wanted to hug me too... I was like, go away. I swear I almost tripped over a few.

What? you mean you didn't like it??! XD ~Needless to say, I didn't last too much longer at that job~ and I actually did trample some kids XD I didn't mean too, they went to hug me while I was on skates~ and I didn't hurt em, just knocked em over ^-^ I probably tramatized some poor little kids :thumbsup:

But Quarla, You'll be lucky in that aspect too, I usualy don't see toooooooooo many kids at cons~ but I supose obsessive otaku tend to act rather kid like~ o_o;; .. Be prepaired to get tons of hugs!! ^-^ Oh, and tail pulls~ ^^; Have you started the body part yet, or still planning?

Bobbi
03-01-2004, 02:44 PM
Oh, I mean I liked wearing it, it was fun. But peeling layers of plush off your skin is not fun. =P

Yes, do be prepared to get lots of hugs! It's a very very cute costume and everyone will be glomping you. ^^

Quarla
03-01-2004, 02:53 PM
Oh, I mean I liked wearing it, it was fun. But peeling layers of plush off your skin is not fun. =P

Yes, do be prepared to get lots of hugs! It's a very very cute costume and everyone will be glomping you. ^^

Yah.. I'm already preparing myself for that. Luckily the costume is pretty stable so it isn't going to fall appart unless someone really isn't careful at all. I really hope I get this done so I can attempt the mario costume for my b/f. I really don't want to be the only one in this theme. I need a body guard! Or I might.. I'm not sure how people are going to react to me yet. I'm getting really excited though. I love attention and last AX I got virtually none which was kind of a disappointment--among other problems last AX. So hopefully I'll get a lot more interaction. ^^; Nooow.. back to figuring out the pattern. ;_;

liz-maru
03-01-2004, 03:00 PM
wow it looks official very cool!! ^_^ so cute as well!! cant wait to see it finished!

allyunion
03-01-2004, 03:51 PM
You need a Mario... that's what you need. :P By the way, computer fans are a cheap and inexpensive way to help cool down your mascot suit... you can even add fan grill covers (designed for computer fans).

Quarla
03-01-2004, 03:55 PM
You need a Mario... that's what you need. :P By the way, computer fans are a cheap and inexpensive way to help cool down your mascot suit... you can even add fan grill covers (designed for computer fans).

Yes, I do need a Mario. I really hope he will actually go as Mario. I'll be really sad if he doesn't. ;_; And I looked a bit into the fans. Problem is.. it won't fit in my head. I'll figure out something. Believe it or not it's really not that hot. I wore it for the hour at an anime shop the other day and it was nice and warm out. :D So we'll see. Either way I'll find someway to get cool or I'll be running to my hotel room to strip and take a shower every hour.. ^^;;;

Nadeshiko
03-01-2004, 10:06 PM
Oh my gosh! ^^ Another Yoshi fanperson! *high five*

I love how it looks by far. Can't wait to see it at a con! ^.~

allyunion
03-02-2004, 01:42 AM
Remember... the idea is not for Yoshi to wilt in the summer ^^;;;

kerochan
03-02-2004, 12:03 PM
Wow! That is an awesome job! How are you planning on attaching the tail?

ZoraLink
03-02-2004, 03:40 PM
I have the same question as pikminlink...how do ppl make those "helmets" that are like those mascots wear....don't know what they are called.

Michi
03-02-2004, 04:00 PM
YOSHI!!!! It looks terrific so far!

And you're doing this at AX? WHEEE I hope you don't mind glomps. ^____^

Quarla
03-02-2004, 10:52 PM
YOSHI!!!! It looks terrific so far!

And you're doing this at AX? WHEEE I hope you don't mind glomps. ^____^

I don't at all as long as it's not going to harm my costume. ^^;; Glomp away.

snowqueenie
03-17-2004, 11:50 PM
lol, yoshi is awesome.

Genki Panda
03-24-2004, 05:34 PM
Suggestion from yet another person who's had a job wearing a giant character costume in the middle of summer in Cali...

You know those camel water pack things? The ones bikers use to keep hydrated while on runs? I'd get one of those. I'm not sure on the cost and whatnot... but I don't think they're too expensive... and as good as it is to stay cool, it's better to stay hydrated (It took years of marching band to finally drill this into my head, XD!). And with that you wouldn't have to be constantly taking the head off to get a drink ^_~. Just keep the straw/tube part in your mouth ^_^.

But yeah, I was supposed to have one of those water things for the job I did... but it got lost (I wasn't the first to have to wear this 40+ lbs costume... fyi: it was this giant blue panda bear named Big Billy and I wore it for a Women of Faith convention in San Jose... in early August x_x... I need to scan the pics of it... was really fun... the shoes were twice the size of my head, XD!)...

Anywho, awesome job ^_^. Yoshi is one of my fave characters ^-^.

I've been wanting to do something like this myself, but can't decide on a character ^^;... Oh well... I have too many other cosplays I'm doing... maybe next year ^-^.

Good luck! And you've got yet another person here who will glomp you if she sees you, lol!

*huggles*