PDA

View Full Version : Disney Cosplay?

Skullez
02-25-2004, 08:07 PM
hehe right now i have been watchen the huntch back of notre dame * been reading the book and watchen the movie for reference*
and i dono all of a sudden i just wanted to cosplay Clopin !!!
Clopin got to me he is my all time fave disney charter..bevides nbc...

but i have no earthly idea where i woudl wear it to !! would a anime con work for a costume like his?
would any of you guys cosplay a disney charter ?! lol !? just curious.

Maryssa
02-25-2004, 09:50 PM
While there is no rule against it, I personally feel a disney costume is not exactly appropriate for a japanese anime convention. But people wear random costumes anyway so whatever floats your boat I guess. I just think it would be weird.

I'm also moving this to the Other Costumes forum.

Garuda_Aiacos
02-25-2004, 11:16 PM
Hmm, my guess is; if it's a character that is found on the game "Kingdom of Heart" like Belle or Snow White or Donald Duck, there shouldn't be a problem wearing them to a Japanese Anime Convention. Anyhow, people in Japan seems to cosplay anything, even political figures at major cons like Comiket.

But my guess is, since in USA there are large amount of Cons around, some catering to any type of costumes (eg: DragonCon, DC ComicCon), some cosplayers may be very particular when they see other people wearing "inappropiate" costumes to the cons, especially when it's Cosplay (Anime/Manga/Games/JRock/JPop) related Cons. So it's a matter of how brave you're to wear the Disney Costume to an Anime Con. IMHO, it'll be a good idea to go to the Con with friends who will be in Anime/Manga costumes so you won't be seen as "some lost" soul there. ;)

Skullez
02-26-2004, 12:56 PM
i was thinking about dragon con =^.^= !
but i ingeneral wana cosplay a harleh-quinn charter! i foudn teh madd hatter but i dono if that can count.

but heck i never thoguth about kingdom hearts! i dont play it but my mom and sister love it..and so do the rest of my friends.
maybe we all can come up w/ somethin.

Garuda_Aiacos
02-26-2004, 07:33 PM
If it's DragonCon, then there shouldn't be a problem at all. ;) You can wear anything to it from what I had seen online.

Hikaruchan
02-27-2004, 01:01 AM
I was 1 of 2 Snow Whites at DragonCon last year - no prob. About anything goes there(including costumes out of just caution tape, saran wrap, or bodypaint), so just have fun. I also wore it at Otakon, but that was because there was a Kingdom Hearts photoshoot.

Skullez
02-27-2004, 07:12 AM
lol i cant belive i forgot all about dragon con !
heh i couldentmake it to dragon con last year cuz i broke my foot the days before the con.
but i plan on goin this year but not as a guest artist =@.@= to mich stress involved!!

princessbunny99
02-29-2004, 02:10 AM
you could always just...anime it up a little to make it more original :D i'm trying to think up new EGL outfits right now (might even base some on fave pokemon or whatever :D)

Skullez
02-29-2004, 05:07 PM
you could always just...anime it up a little to make it more original :D i'm trying to think up new EGL outfits right now (might even base some on fave pokemon or whatever :D)

heh i have always wanted to cosplay some of my origional anime art at cons when im at the artist alley to attract customers but im lazy lol !

actualy i might do that some time soon !

but yur idea for the pokemon egl is so cute!!

DeadLegato
02-29-2004, 05:34 PM
Ya know, I've always wanted to do a cosplay of The Collector (Bonkers) but I couldn't think of any con he'd be appropriate at... so I kinda thought maybe I'd just do him at some con and just say "to heck with it" with anyone who got all angry because it's not an "anime" character. Or I'd justify him as a video game character (I don't know if he's in the Bonkers game but someone told me he is, so I believe them just so i can justify it).

I also figured he could "kinda" count if I played him up as an anime fanboy, since the character is a big fanboy essentially... I was going to take some Love Hina manga and worship it, since I know a lot of fanboys that seem to do that.

Skullez
03-01-2004, 05:09 PM
Ya know, I've always wanted to do a cosplay of The Collector (Bonkers) but I couldn't think of any con he'd be appropriate at... so I kinda thought maybe I'd just do him at some con and just say "to heck with it" with anyone who got all angry because it's not an "anime" character. Or I'd justify him as a video game character (I don't know if he's in the Bonkers game but someone told me he is, so I believe them just so i can justify it).

I also figured he could "kinda" count if I played him up as an anime fanboy, since the character is a big fanboy essentially... I was going to take some Love Hina manga and worship it, since I know a lot of fanboys that seem to do that.
lol i remember that show! i think they did have a sega game. not sure.

but im now looken for materials to use for clopin! =^.^= !...thats just hard ...bleh..

Cait
03-03-2004, 08:57 PM
Slightly off topic: I made a Disney cosplay. Two, actually. They weren't for me, though, or for use at any con. They were for a little girl named Amber and she wore them to kindergarten because she rather wanted to be Ariel, and to be Ariel it helps to have her clothes. ^_^"

Skullez
03-06-2004, 11:55 AM
Slightly off topic: I made a Disney cosplay. Two, actually. They weren't for me, though, or for use at any con. They were for a little girl named Amber and she wore them to kindergarten because she rather wanted to be Ariel, and to be Ariel it helps to have her clothes. ^_^"

aww thats adorible!!!

Fénicia
03-06-2004, 12:26 PM
Here (http://home.tiscali.be/fenicia/disney/meisjes.htm) you can see some Disney-outfits I made. ;)

Skullez
03-07-2004, 12:31 PM
wow not bad ! =^.^= !
i like the alice one hehe ! alice is so cool !

BountyBebopLuva
04-01-2004, 03:42 AM
I wanna do a Stitch costume..

Drackt
02-08-2005, 09:22 PM
I was looking at the Tokyo Disney site and found these LOVELY wedding dresses based off the princesses they sell for the weddings-
http://www.disneyweddingsjapan.com/japanese/dah/opt/dre/index.html
But they're over $2,000 a dress!

I'll probably go with my idea to make the magenta bridesmaid dress I have into an Aurora costume.

Lucifer
02-08-2005, 09:25 PM
Some friends and mine are actually going to do more humanoid versions of Robin Hood and his friends for "Disney's Not-So-Scary Halloween." Its the only time patrons can wear costumes in the actual park.

Reiko
02-08-2005, 09:46 PM
I made a belle costume, once. for a kingdom hearts group...but if it wasnt for kingdom hearts I wouldnt wear it to an anime convetion

AshleyV
02-08-2005, 09:58 PM
I ahve made an Alice costume and for Halloween I am going as Esmerelda. I did get to wear the Bellhop uniforms from Tower of Terror (the original one) at MGM Studios, but that is because I worked there.

ilumiari
02-08-2005, 10:26 PM
I went to my last day of school as Tinkerbell. The tradition at school is that on the last day of school in year 12 you 'edit' your school dress to make it more interesting. I made the wings out of my school stockings :)

Those disney wedding dresses are so beautiful. They aren't even all that complecated, I'm sure nothing that I can't sew myself. I like how they are based on Disney, but have been edited into perfectly suitable wedding dresses.

Gundam_Warrior
02-08-2005, 10:28 PM
There would only be three Disney owned characters I wolud ever go as:

Kevin Flynn (Tron)
Robin Hood (Fox version for the film)
Jim Hawkins (Treasure Planet)

Majin Buu
02-09-2005, 12:08 AM
I would probably never disguise myself as a Disney character, but if one wanted to, I have no problem with that. It might be weird to do so at an Anime convention, but heck, if I see Harry Potter characters, a Hamburglar (one of the McDonald's mascots), and ATHF characters there....there's nothing wrong with Disney characters there. I think a little weirdness is cool. ;)

Reiko
02-09-2005, 12:12 AM
I would probably never disguise myself as a Disney character, but if one wanted to, I have no problem with that. It might be weird to do so at an Anime convention, but heck, if I see Harry Potter characters, a Hamburglar (one of the McDonald's mascots), and ATHF characters there....there's nothing wrong with Disney characters there. I think a little weirdness is cool. ;)

I agree with you there!

Majin Buu
02-09-2005, 12:23 AM
Thank you!

Anyway, what non-anime/non-videogame cosplays you do see at the conventions....are in much smaller numbers, but their presence is noticeable. I'm not gonna go up to some dude, and say, "hey, this is an Anime convention, dude! Why are you dressed up as Goofy? Goofy isn't an anime character". So, what? Does it matter? What matters is if the convention goers are into anime/manga, and if they're not causing any trouble....and are having a grand time!

DarkGunner
02-09-2005, 12:45 AM
Thank you!

Anyway, what non-anime/non-videogame cosplays you do see at the conventions....are in much smaller numbers, but their presence is noticeable. I'm not gonna go up to some dude, and say, "hey, this is an Anime convention, dude! Why are you dressed up as Goofy? Goofy isn't an anime character". So, what? Does it matter? What matters is if the convention goers are into anime/manga, and if they're not causing any trouble....and are having a grand time!

Hey Goofy could fit under Kingdom Hearts cosplay. =P

Anyhow, I've always wanted to make both Aurora's ball gown and Briar Rose outfit but I just haven't had the time. It's been a challenge finding a pattern that requires little to no alteration. I've only been able to find children's size patterns. I find the official adult Disney costumes horendous and not accurate to the character's design. I'll get around to it someday. ^^;

alostblackcat
02-09-2005, 01:48 AM
i made a mulan costume for the heck of it

it was a pain with all the layers but it was fun, even though it's slightly annoying having people refer to you as mulan 4 months after

if i can find a picture i'll post it

ilumiari
02-09-2005, 03:45 AM
I almost forgot, I have also cosplayed Pocahontas. That costume was very ghetto and thrown together, though. My sewing machine was having a hissy fit, so it was all hand sewn. I'm bugging my friend for photos of it because I didn't get any. I'd take new ones, but I threw my shoes away at the end of the night - they just kept falling apart.

PoodleBoy
02-09-2005, 08:01 PM
Yes, I agree! Alice rocks! Im going to be crosplaying as Alice sometime this summer, but it wont be my first time. When I was nine years old I crossdressed as Alice for my school's Halloween party. My girlfriend is making my dress using a pattern for a 50s era party dress. We already have the bloomers and the pinafore and petticoats. As for her, she wants to be the "White Rabbit". This should be a fun one, Im looking forward to it!

Fénicia
02-10-2005, 11:39 AM
My new Belle-dress (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=220620) :jjacks:

Celebrimbor
02-10-2005, 01:12 PM
The only disney character I'd ever cosplay would be Will Turner, and he wasn't even animated (I've grown out my hair since my avatar was taken, so it would be kind of convincing). Although if I was to ever dress as a musketeer, I'd use disney's costume design...

DarkGunner
02-10-2005, 09:26 PM
My new Belle-dress (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=220620) :jjacks:

Wow very lovely! The fabric you used reminds me of my Belle barbie from way back when. ^^

Rizzorian
02-11-2005, 10:45 AM
hehe right now i have been watchen the huntch back of notre dame * been reading the book and watchen the movie for reference*
and i dono all of a sudden i just wanted to cosplay Clopin !!!
Clopin got to me he is my all time fave disney charter..bevides nbc...

but i have no earthly idea where i woudl wear it to !! would a anime con work for a costume like his?
would any of you guys cosplay a disney charter ?! lol !? just curious.

I personally don't don't see ne thing wrong w/ it. U'll just stand out a bit. I don't think u'll stand out as much as the pair of Storm Troopers did at the Renaisance festival in Texas last year though. lol.

Suu Maxwell
02-14-2005, 03:43 PM
storm troopers at a ren faire... LOL!

Anyway. I was thinking of doing Jasmine, since I look a lot like her and there aren't many dark-skinned anime characters. I love Disney ^^ their movies are such fun.

Oh and Fénicia, your Belle is lovely ^^ also thinking of doing that, too... cuz The Boyfriend would probably be willing to do the Beast for Halloween =^..^= yeah, I wouldn't be able to force him into an anime costume....

AyameChan
02-14-2005, 04:58 PM
i'd like to see someone cosplay as the guy from Treasure planet...or heck the cat captain...that would be cool...Disney's art is so close to anime now anyway that it really doesn't matter much to me...

Fénicia
02-15-2005, 09:57 AM
I've already won first price with it, and it was at the first time I wore it (at a gamesfair in Belgium). :)

Star_Angel
02-15-2005, 10:40 AM
I've done Kingdom Hearts Donald Duck, the only pic I have is w.o orange tights (which I cant find at this time of the year, grrr) and w/o the stuffing for the butt (which I'll have them up after this weekend)
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=274237

AyameChan
02-15-2005, 03:09 PM
*snicker* I was hoping for more of a "mascot" thing with it...but hey the fact that you did it, and are doing it very well makes up for it. Awesome... Where is Katsucon anyway??? *scratches head*

Star_Angel
02-15-2005, 04:21 PM
*snicker* I was hoping for more of a "mascot" thing with it...but hey the fact that you did it, and are doing it very well makes up for it. Awesome... Where is Katsucon anyway??? *scratches head*
Thanks! yeah I thought about a mascot style for it but then said to myself no b/c im gonna wear it in the summer to and didnt want to die, lol. But I look a lot sillier with the pillows in it.
Katsucon is in Arlington Va. its this weekend (feb 18-20th)

AyameChan
02-15-2005, 10:41 PM
Thanks! yeah I thought about a mascot style for it but then said to myself no b/c im gonna wear it in the summer to and didnt want to die, lol. But I look a lot sillier with the pillows in it.
Katsucon is in Arlington Va. its this weekend (feb 18-20th)
Well good choice then. and darn on the weekend, maybe some other year, sounds like a big fun con! Good luck and great times everyone going to Katsucon! I'll be at AX *prays to be* and Anime Iowa *pssh no sweat there* so maybe I can find some friends for those two ^^;; I'm pathetic.

Drackt
09-29-2005, 05:51 PM
I found photos of one of the newest Disney movies, "Rapunzel Unbraided", and now I want to be Claire (It's a long story...)-
http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/images/upload/rapunzel_squirrel_and_girl.jpg
The movie, however, was pushed back to '08, so it's gonna be a long time before anyone knows who I am.

AshleyV
09-29-2005, 06:21 PM
I found photos of one of the newest Disney movies, "Rapunzel Unbraided", and now I want to be Claire (It's a long story...)-
http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/images/upload/rapunzel_squirrel_and_girl.jpg
The movie, however, was pushed back to '08, so it's gonna be a long time before anyone knows who I am.

I wonder if that means American Dog got pushed back as well. I'll keep a lookout in my Eyes and Ears to find out what's up and talk to some of my fellow cast members about it.

I'm currently working on Esmeralda from Hunchback of Notre Dame. I hope to have it finished so that I may wear it to the Ren Faire and for Halloween.

Nadeshiko
09-29-2005, 06:57 PM
I'm definately thinking of doing a Mulan ("Reflection" sequence) costume for 2006. It's part three in a series of Lea Salonga related cosplay.

Drackt
09-29-2005, 07:37 PM
I wonder if that means American Dog got pushed back as well. I'll keep a lookout in my Eyes and Ears to find out what's up and talk to some of my fellow cast members about it.

I'm currently working on Esmeralda from Hunchback of Notre Dame. I hope to have it finished so that I may wear it to the Ren Faire and for Halloween.

"American Dog" is going to be 2007 at this rate. Everything got rescheduled so "Valiant" could be released this summer.

Peachy Momo
09-29-2005, 09:41 PM
Even though my fav Disney Princesses are Belle, Jasmine, and Ariel. I want to cosplay Pocahontas for the heck of it. =D

Arista
09-29-2005, 10:15 PM
I've cosplayed as Ariel at AX2005 (see gallery), and I definitely want to do more in the future! I'm sure there'll be PLENTY of Disney cosplay when Kingdom Hearts II comes out!

rei_hino
09-29-2005, 10:35 PM
Someday I want to cosplay in Belle's gold gown not just because it's so beautiful and she's my favorite Disney character out of my favorite Disney movie, but also because of the fact that she's from Kingdom Hearts so if people limit themselves to only japanese cosplay, it could count.

.Ark.
10-26-2005, 07:24 PM
Me and my friends are doing sort of lolita-ish princesses for Halloween. It's only the three of us though (We were going to have a Jasmine, but we're doing the whole dress-thing, so she dropped out. XX) So we have..a Cinderella and Snow White..and I'm being Belle.

Berzerker_prime
10-26-2005, 11:23 PM
People were talking about possibly inappropriate places to be wearing a Disney costume earlier in the thread. I got one for you...

I once cosplayed as Happy from Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. I was one of a group of eight people doing the theme costume; all eight title characters from the movie.

The the questionable nature of the inappropriateness? Well, it was for a LotR LARP. "Seven for the Dwarf Lords in their halls of stone," you see. We couldn't pass it up. Snow White was Galadriel. We got the best reactions from the other players.

This just goes to show that you shouldn't be shy. People will appreciate a lot of things! Long story short, if you want to make the costume, make it.

Berz.

Ironekilz
10-27-2005, 06:29 AM
I would love to do a Maleficent costume. She's my favorite Disney villain and the only one to scare me (dragon form) as a kid. Well, except for the villain in The Black Cauldron. ::shudder:: The only thing is she's a giant and I'm short...I might have to wear stilts. :thumbsup:

Sashi
10-27-2005, 09:45 AM
Maybe when I'm a lot older I'll do an Izma(The Emporer's New Groove)cosplay!
I love that character plus she has the most flamboyant outfits too :)

ilumiari
10-29-2005, 09:05 PM
http://www.cospa.com/db/database.php?&AO=or&W1=ディズニープリンセス051020&search=1&ITEM=コスチューム

Cospa just released a set of 3 disney princess costumes. No way I'd dish out that much for one, but they are pretty. If I have a ball or something next year I'm very tempted to go as Belle.

xfkirsten
10-30-2005, 11:37 PM
I just finished my first Disney costume last week! It's Sorcerer Mickey. I actually got debut it at Disneyland, at Mickey's Halloween Treat! :D

Ryukka
11-05-2005, 11:08 PM
weeee, i just recently did a snow white costume for halloween, pictures are in my gallery. it's kinda rushed, but oh well. i'm still pleased with it.

AshleyV
11-06-2005, 01:05 AM
I just finished up my most recent Disney Cosplay, Wendy from Peter Pan. I have done a total of 4 Disney cosplay so far (Alice, Belle, Esmeralda, Wendy) and have more planed in the future. Pictures of the outfits are in my gallery.

Koronue
11-09-2005, 11:28 PM
Oh good! I'm so glad I found this thread instead of having to make my own. ^-^' I think it would be fun to dress up as a princess for senior prom ( I NEVER dress up girly, but I think, if I'm going to go to something like prom, I may as well go feeling like a princess right? XD ) however, I've noticed a few things. Alot of times when I try to google pictures, it seems the 'real-life' versions of such beautiful dresses seem to be sort of...dead. I don't mean to sound negative and in no way am I trying to put anyone down, I'm just wondering if that's the nature of such dresses. You really can't make them as full/elaborate/goergeous as they are in the cartoon.

I've also noticed that in Disney Princess dresses, all the gowns are just so...BRIGHT! That is, unless they're a villainess which is not exactly what I'm going for, lol. I don't think there's ever was a 'dark Disney/(Pixar or Dreamworks XD ) Princess' or even one with a dark dress, but then, I don't really have time to watch movies anymore. ^-^''

So yes, sorry for leeching on this thread and going on and on about it, but I thought it;d be better than filling up the forums with similar threads, so, if anyone has any inputs or comments about my questions, I'd love to hear. Thanks for reading. :)

Shiree-chan
11-12-2005, 03:34 AM
Yeah, I've noticed the dresses are brighter ... but you know, it's disney, has to be! <3
Especially Belle's ...

I made a design of Ariel, but without a tail ... I kind of added the tail somewhere in there, but gave her tights to give her more of a tomboy look. If anyone wants to see it, tell me and I'll post it here. ^^

Philipina Yuna
03-22-2006, 07:34 PM
I have dreamed of a disney cosplay because I am dying to cosplay Mulan. Ever since I was little Ive been obssesed w/ that movie! But I think the military outfit would be hard to make.

vannadear
03-22-2006, 10:17 PM
I know there are a lot of people that really frown at wearing anything other then Anime/Manga costumes to anime conventions, like...people that even complain about video game cosplays!!

Dragoncon seems to be a lovely melting pot though!

Disney is awesome though! I really want to cosplay as Megara(from Hercules), Alice and Tinkerbell!!

livvylove
03-22-2006, 10:59 PM
I plan on making a Princess Jasmine cosplay and my boyfriend will be Aladdin, they are in Kingdom Hearts so it's ok ;) Plus we finally get a chance to have our tans work for us and not against us. Especially because in September we spend so much time at the pool that it's hard not to get pretty dark even using SPF 40+

WilwarinAndamar
03-23-2006, 05:55 PM
Mulan and Megara are definately on my to-do list; Ariel and Belle maybe.

And when I get a good wig, I'm going to cosplay Vanessa (Ursula in diguise.) Because I think it's funny to dress up as a character that shares my name. :geek:

Phantom Pirate
03-23-2006, 08:35 PM
I'm doing Ariel eventually...she's my all-time favorite animated Disney character. I must be the biggest Disney fanatic on the planet! I'm trying to drag my friends into an all-out Disney cosplay, but being the big ball of A.D.D they are, organization and them don't really mix well...^_^

AuroraHermione
03-24-2006, 02:53 AM
As you can see in my avatar, I made a Briar Rose costume for Anime Expo for the Kingdom Hearts gathering... I really wanted to make Princess Aurora's dress, a version based after the dress from Walt Disney's Parade fo Dreams, but I realized that I am totally not good enough to do it justice, so to Briar Rose I went (I am such a ginormous Sleeping Beauty freak). I will eventually make a Princess Aurora dress, I just need to get better at sewing and pattern drafting: they don't make the patterns for adults. I'm also most likely going to make Belle's blue outfit (the one she wears for most of the film) soon, because I have patterns that will work for that. And I'm making my best friend a Tinker Bell costume for Anime Expo as well. I am such a Disney Otaku ^_^

TechieCL
03-24-2006, 12:31 PM
I've got a wigless Ron Stoppable already together that debuted at MegaCon this year. If only I could wrangle a Kim or Shego for some pairs cosplays at the other cons I'm hitting.

Runi-Chan
06-07-2006, 10:57 PM
I'm getting the idea in my head to cosplay something from either Emperor's New Groove (the first movie..not the second. No..), or Lilo and Stitch, or perhaps even farther back...we'll see. Disney has not impressed me lately with anything besides the shiny pretty genius of Pixar.

Then again, my favorite Disney movie of all time IS "Robin Hood"...you know, the version with all the animals? I would so do that version of Robin Hood...only not so..fluffy.
God, Stitch rubs off on my mind. I can't think of that word in that context without it coming out like that little critter says it. XD

I think it would be interesting to walk into a Disney store in a mall in a costume like that...especially if you're dressed as a totally selfish egotistical character..*coughKUZCO!cough*..I'm sure it would cause all sorts of mayhem.

Of course, depending on the character, you could just act really really disspointed in what happened when the franchise went from movie to direct-to-video, to show. Ew. It burns.

I think the nicest thing about Disney cosplay though would probably be the reactions from little kids when they see their favorite character walking around, for free (if you're cosplaying at a mall or something), and it makes them smile...I know it does.

I'm going to a mall for Halloween this year anyways, but I was going to wear Takuto...I think I might wear something Disney instead.

Phantom Pirate
07-02-2006, 11:45 PM
I think the nicest thing about Disney cosplay though would probably be the reactions from little kids when they see their favorite character walking around, for free (if you're cosplaying at a mall or something), and it makes them smile...I know it does.

That's exactly the reason I want to work at Disneyland as Ariel or Belle someday. I just love seeing little ones smile.

AshleyV
07-03-2006, 12:30 AM
I'm working on my 5th Disney cosplay and I have 3 more planned after I finish Megara from Hurcules. Eventually I will have the outfits for all of my favorite female Disney characters.

Nevturiel
07-12-2006, 12:33 AM
It's cool to see how many people have actually done Disney cosplays. It makes me a little angry to hear that some people don't like cosplays that aren't Japanese . . . I mean, didn't cosplay start in America? Or am I just misinterpreting this article (http://costuming.org/history.html)? People should have the freedom to cosplay as whoever they want, even if they aren't from a manga or anime. But, not everyone believes the same things I do. *shrug*

gamergirlx
07-12-2006, 10:35 AM
I think what the article is trying to say is that costuming at cons and stuff originally started in America (though I would hardly think any creditable writer would say that considering that costuming has been a part of many cultures throughout history). Unless they purely meant activities such as hall costuming and the masquerade. And I myself haven't done research so what do I know? *shrugs*

"Cosplay" was coined by Nov Takahashi when they visited at the Worldcon and was inspired by the costuming and brought that fascination back to Japan where cosplay (more focused on dressing as anime/manga characters) took off. Though today, cosplay in the US and Japan is still quite different. Here in the US we use cosplay to show off our craftsmanship and to support our fandom. In Japan, I do believe it is still considered more a fetish where the cosplayers hide their real identities behind aliases and keep it a secret from employers, etc. The article does sound a bit biased imo.

But anyways, back to the topic, I only have one disney costume currently which is Organization King Mickey. However, I hope to have another one sometime in the next year...

Arlette
07-12-2006, 11:10 AM
Disney costumes could be acceptable at Dragon*Con or probably any comic con. And I personally have no beef with people wearing them to anime cons, either. I don't play Kingdom Hearts so I don't know which characters have been in the games, so when I see Disney cosplay I just assume it's from Kingdom Hearts. ^_^;

My favorite has always been Jasmine, and I think with a tan I could pull her off. It's just not on my list of things to do, really. I also love Meg from Hercules. Both have been in Kingdom Hearts at some point, I think. (the hubby plays it and he tries to keep me in the know.)

vampirate
07-12-2006, 01:54 PM
Disney costumes could be acceptable at Dragon*Con or probably any comic con. And I personally have no beef with people wearing them to anime cons, either. I don't play Kingdom Hearts so I don't know which characters have been in the games, so when I see Disney cosplay I just assume it's from Kingdom Hearts. ^_^;

My favorite has always been Jasmine, and I think with a tan I could pull her off. It's just not on my list of things to do, really. I also love Meg from Hercules. Both have been in Kingdom Hearts at some point, I think. (the hubby plays it and he tries to keep me in the know.)
Yup, Jasmine is in both games and Meg is in the 2nd. A lot of Disney characters have been in the games(even Tron), I'm excited to see which ones will be in the 3rd. And I hope because of this a lot of the uptight "cosplay should only be Japanese" people will hopefully learn to lighten up a bit. If you think about it like all Disney characters kind of exist in the same universe like Final Fantasy characters from different games do then at least it can all be related back to Kingdom Hearts. Of course Disney cosplayers shouldn't have to justify themselves this way, but at least they've got an edge now.

YuffieK
07-20-2006, 12:22 AM
yay, I just cosplayed as Belle to Sac-Anime this past weekend :DDD

pictures can be found here: http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?cat=45059&member=12958

Scrapped Neko
07-20-2006, 01:06 AM
Personally, I would love to do a super elaborate version of Cinderella. I'd also love to do Jane's yellow dress (Tarzan) and Kida with her battle armor (Atlantis). They're my top 3 favorite Disney characters (besides Lady from Lady and the Tramp, but it might look weird if I attempted to cosplay her.. O.o )

xXKujaXx
07-20-2006, 02:27 AM
To me it would seem like wearing an anime costume to a Star Trek covention, its not what people are there for.

and for me my disney costume would be Jack Sparrow or the great mouse detective <3

Technoir
07-20-2006, 06:18 AM
I'm dying to cosplay Captain Amelia from Treasure Planet. XD; The makeup would be a lot of work, but I'm totally willing to do it. Someday!

baku_neko
08-04-2006, 02:44 AM
Disney cosplay all way! Ever since Kingdom Hearts I've been seeing it more and more now...

Besides isn't Japan like crazy about Disney? O_o

Well anyhow, I plan on making a Peter Pan cosplay. It's fairly easy looking, seeing as all I need to make is the cap, tunic, and shoe covers. Then I just have buy the tights and the red wig. I'm looking forward to running around as Pan and posing with other Kingdom Hearts characters. ^^

AdAstra
08-04-2006, 05:15 AM
I had no idea it was taboo in some circles to cosplay anything non-anime/manga related! That's a shame. I'm a Disney (princesses, specifically) fanatic and would love to be Belle, Ariel, Snow White, etc, in the future.

My first costume was Alice from "Alice in Wonderland" and I agree with what many other posters have said - there's nothing more adorable or rewarding than having a young child run up and give you a hug because they recognize you as their favorite Disney or classic character. Viva Disney princesses!

Lady Skywalker
08-06-2006, 10:13 AM
Kool, I didn't know people cosplayed disney! I've always wanted to make an ariel costume because people have told me that I look like her. Well and becuase she's been my favorite Disney character since I was 4! maybe now I'll actually make it!

~Tally

Shinigami_Mimi
08-13-2006, 11:21 AM
I really see no problem when it comes to cosplaying non-anime/manga/video games/music cosplays. Wearing it to anime cons might be a problem if you're doing let's say a Cartoon Network character. Lol. But Disney characters are seen in KH so guess it's a given.

Either way me and my friends plan on doing a Disney cosplay to Disneyworld, don't know how Staff will respond to it. ^^;;; I have Alice & Training Mulan on my to-do future list. ^___^

Technoir
08-13-2006, 04:56 PM
Either way me and my friends plan on doing a Disney cosplay to Disneyworld, don't know how Staff will respond to it. ^^;;; I have Alice & Training Mulan on my to-do future list. ^___^

I wouldn't even try it. Disney doesn't allow costumes in their park, even non-Disney costumes. If they don't immediately turn you away at the gates, someone else will escort you out of the park shortly afterwards. :/ It's unfortunate, but true.

Here's some threads where it's been discussed before.
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=6346
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=12281

baku_neko
08-13-2006, 07:07 PM
I think they allow them for like Halloween...but thats it.

AshleyV
08-14-2006, 08:58 AM
During Star Wars weekends they allow Star Wars related cloth costumes in the parks and then during Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party they allow costumes. People have been able to wear costumes into the Disney Parks, in fact I have seen several myself, but it is up to the person if they are allowed. Little children are able to get away with wearing costumes in the parks more than adults; however, there is one thing that cannot be done in the parks while in a costume even during select costuming events: You CANNOT sign autographs.

Shinigami_Mimi
08-16-2006, 03:59 PM
I wouldn't even try it. Disney doesn't allow costumes in their park, even non-Disney costumes. If they don't immediately turn you away at the gates, someone else will escort you out of the park shortly afterwards. :/ It's unfortunate, but true.

Here's some threads where it's been discussed before.
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=6346
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=12281

How odd, because many photoshoots are planned in Disneyworld and I've seen a number of cosplayers get away with it. Like Kingdom Hearts cosplays and stuff.

baku_neko
08-16-2006, 04:55 PM
How odd, because many photoshoots are planned in Disneyworld and I've seen a number of cosplayers get away with it. Like Kingdom Hearts cosplays and stuff.

Did they arrive in costume? Perhaps they explained to the park people what they wanted to do and changed there then when they were done they changed back. Just a thought.

It really is a great place for a photoshoot. I'd love to do one there with one of my cosplays someday.

Shinigami_Mimi
08-18-2006, 11:18 AM
Did they arrive in costume? Perhaps they explained to the park people what they wanted to do and changed there then when they were done they changed back. Just a thought.

It really is a great place for a photoshoot. I'd love to do one there with one of my cosplays someday.

I have no clue it was part of a Rising Sun Photoshoot.

xXKujaXx
08-19-2006, 05:06 AM
It would be so much fun to get a picture with muckey is Kingdom Hearts cosplay XD

Silly Disneyland and their rules.

baku_neko
08-19-2006, 01:50 PM
I emailed RisingSun and they said they went during the Halloween celebration for that Kingdom Hearts shoot. Which is one of the few times that costumes are allowed.

TastyLumpia
08-23-2006, 09:25 PM
Disney's just.... strange sometimes.

I plan on making a Jasmine costume for Halloween, and might wear it to Otakon next year. Whether it'll be finished by October 31, however, is another story...

gelflinggal
08-24-2006, 06:20 PM
I plan on making a Jane Porter costume to wear to events next year...have the perfect material and most everything lined up....

back in the day (1995) I dressed up as Belle (Provincial Blue Dress) went to Disneyland's Mickey's Halloween Treat...had a blast....I was working there at the time and fooled fellow castmembers...they couldn't figure out why Belle went into the StarTrader!

Still trying to find those photos...

Have a very long list of Disney costumes I'd like to make....wayyyy long....

baku_neko
09-01-2006, 04:43 PM
WOOT!

I finished my Peter Pan top! YAY!

Check it out!

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=828468

gelflinggal
09-03-2006, 06:10 PM
hey! that's great!! *lol* love the description under the photo...

that's what I'm dressing my son as and his sister is going to be tinkerbell for halloween this year!

must be popular again ;)

:bigtu:

baku_neko
09-03-2006, 06:24 PM
hey! that's great!! *lol* love the description under the photo...

that's what I'm dressing my son as and his sister is going to be tinkerbell for halloween this year!

must be popular again ;)

:bigtu:

hehehe.

thank you!

peter pan is always cool. ^_~

AlterEgoZoe
09-11-2006, 05:19 PM
For Ota 07 I'm going as Tink, coz I'm in a KH skit for the masq. If you see someone as a SHORT Tink with a Riku and Sora, that's me.. And yes for the masq, I'll be wearing pointe shoes (don't worry, i'm only putting painted tights over them! lol) for more "tink-ness." Any Neverland/Peter Pan/Tink etc fan is welcomed to come talk to me at Ota. Just make sure I don't chew your ear off about the psychology of Pan, the theatrical staging of Pan and the relationships of characters in Pan! :)

baku_neko
10-03-2006, 03:03 PM
WOot! I just got might tights in the mail and they're perfect! I'll be constructing the shoes this week I hope, so hopefully I'll have pics soon of my Peter Pan! ^_^

AshleyV
10-09-2006, 12:31 PM
Just to let everyone know I have pictures of my Esmeralda costume in my gallery. I have also started to buy materials for my Megara costume.

Leonhart_Squall
10-10-2006, 08:41 AM
kingdom hearts is in, so everyone wants to have a disney costume!

RuhiNunchuck
03-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Hey guys I stumbled across your thread here and was wondering if you've ever gone to the main Disney thread here on CosCom? there's a bunch of us on it regularly and we'd love if you guys would join us! Plus it'll help keep the boards from getting clogged.

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=110216

it's 487 pages and counting so good luck catching up lol (i'm always falling behind) but we're always happy to have new people join in and share their disney costumes :)

Drackt
11-29-2012, 09:35 AM
This Halloween, I FINALLY finished Rapunzel. :) The smiles from little children were worth it. :)

http://fav.me/d5jooqb
http://fav.me/d5jop8x

The only bad part is that I didn't have any foresight to braid the wig because it got ruined as the day wore on. So I'll have to wait to buy another. And I'll have to see how much weight I'll lose before I can fit into my Cinderella dress...

kiggi
11-30-2012, 12:11 AM
This Halloween, I FINALLY finished Rapunzel. :) The smiles from little children were worth it. :)

http://fav.me/d5jooqb
http://fav.me/d5jop8x

The only bad part is that I didn't have any foresight to braid the wig because it got ruined as the day wore on. So I'll have to wait to buy another. And I'll have to see how much weight I'll lose before I can fit into my Cinderella dress...

lovely! motions oil sheen spray in the hair care aisle at like any store (usually in the ethnic hair section) is AMAZING!!!!!! i have resurrected my rapunzel wig i refuse to braid sooooo many times! that and a straightener (mines heat resistant) but i could do it with just the spray

Drackt
11-30-2012, 11:01 PM
lovely! motions oil sheen spray in the hair care aisle at like any store (usually in the ethnic hair section) is AMAZING!!!!!! i have resurrected my rapunzel wig i refuse to braid sooooo many times! that and a straightener (mines heat resistant) but i could do it with just the spray

Thank you so much! Although after it kept getting caught in my keys at Target, I tossed it. :( Oh well, I'll remember this for next time. :)