PDA

View Full Version : Costume-Con 32 Sci-Fi/Fantasy/All Subjects Masquerade Rules posted!

Kaijugal
12-17-2012, 12:11 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/545132_398506010172296_649301625_n.jpg

The F&SF Masquerade is the type of masquerade contest most of us are used to – short stage presentations, backstage workmanship judging, and any type of costume is welcome, including by no limited to:

Original Design
Anime
Sci-Fi
Fantasy
Historical
Steampunk
Fashion, eg. Lolita, Strung Fashion, Ethnic Fashion, Couture
Fursuit
Anything not covered in the above

For full details, (:bigtu: and some pretty nifty pictures from previous years!) visit our website:

http://costumecon32.com/programming-2014/competitions-events/fsf-masquerade/

genkimami
12-20-2012, 07:49 PM
Out of curiosity, why is there a prohibition against presenting costumes worn in the halls before the Sci-Fi/Fantasy masquerade, but not for the historical masquerade?

trixyloupwolf
12-21-2012, 05:01 AM
theyr special people theyr want to keep the surprise for the stage

ya ^^ or something along those line
but yes a weird rule they have ^^:::;

hug hug

Sarcasm-hime
12-28-2012, 10:28 PM
I checked with the masquerade directors. This is an older rule and we've determined that it will not apply for CC32. So not to worry!

genkimami
12-28-2012, 10:37 PM
That's great, I'm going to consider entering the sci-fi/fantasy masquerade then!

von Drago
12-29-2012, 08:58 AM
Usually historical competition pieces aren't worn in the halls either. They might be worn to the green room from the wearer's room without too much cover-up but generally aren't wandering around all day.
Whether it's the rule for the masquerade or not the surprise factor is a major deal at CCs. Generally the really Wow stuff is saved for onstage and more maneuverable and comfortable outfits are worn during the day while you move around in panels, etc.

So give that some thought - it's pretty neat to surprise everyone, audience and judges.

genkimami
12-29-2012, 09:09 AM
Usually historical competition pieces aren't worn in the halls either. They might be worn to the green room from the wearer's room without too much cover-up but generally aren't wandering around all day.
Whether it's the rule for the masquerade or not the surprise factor is a major deal at CCs. Generally the really Wow stuff is saved for onstage and more maneuverable and comfortable outfits are worn during the day while you move around in panels, etc.

So give that some thought - it's pretty neat to surprise everyone, audience and judges.

I understand that some (or many?) people will choose not to wear their masquerade costumes in the halls for the surprise factor. However I was curious to know why there's a rule against it for Fantasy/Sci-Fi and not for historical costumes.

I also get that it's fun to surprise everyone at the masquerade, but since I'm only making 1 costume for the convention and spending hundreds of dollars on it, I just don't want to wear it only for the masquerade and the day after. I guess it's different for everyone, but for me I'd rather wear my costume longer than participating in the masquerade if it means I can't wear it as much.

If Sarcasm-hime hadn't said it's now ok to wear the costumes in the halls before the masquerade, I would have understood and not made a big deal about it, but I'm glad I have the option to enter if I want to.

von Drago
12-29-2012, 10:22 PM
However I was curious to know why there's a rule against it for Fantasy/Sci-Fi and not for historical costumes.

^shrug^ Some years have had that as a rule in the Historical too. But the rules vary by year so it's always best to check the specific year's and if you have any questions to ask that specific MD. If Maral has checked and they say it's OK - then it's OK :)

Kaijugal
01-03-2013, 02:21 AM
^shrug^ Some years have had that as a rule in the Historical too. But the rules vary by year so it's always best to check the specific year's and if you have any questions to ask that specific MD. If Maral has checked and they say it's OK - then it's OK :)

Maral brought this question/issue to the con-com's attention and the masquerade directors agreed that it wasn't an issue.

The costume culture among some cosplay circles is people wear costumes all day to get maximum exposure, I don't feel that permitting this will detract from the masquerades in any significant way. I believe, and others seem to agree, that the majority of participants will still save their competition costumes for a surprise reveal.

I hope that removing the rule and being more permissive about allowing the individual contestants make the choice for themselves is more conducive to having an atmosphere where costumers from different costuming cultures can have fun expressing themselves in the way they enjoy most.

I feel it will have little or no negative impact on the competitions themselves, and there is more to be gained by the removal of that rule.

Our main goal is to do all we can to encourage people to have FUN!

Kaijugal
01-03-2013, 02:30 AM
Oops! Double post! Oops!

( brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department )

ShinobiXikyu
03-12-2014, 02:06 PM
Will there be an announcement about the stage dimensions soon? I need to start choreographing my entry for the sf&f masquerade and definitely need to know how much stage space I have, as mine will ideally have a lot of motion.