PDA

View Full Version : Babble Board, Serious Discussion and Rant Board are gone!!

*Jibrielle*
03-01-2004, 06:08 PM
:sulk: Why are the babble board, serious and rant forums GONE!?!!?

Hotaru's Sister
03-01-2004, 06:15 PM
I was just gonna ask. I know there was talk of it before, but admin/mods kept saying it would stay up...

*Jibrielle*
03-01-2004, 06:19 PM
talk about what?? :S

KaineMaxwell
03-01-2004, 06:23 PM
I made a post of it first...wow...this sucks...

GingerWolf
03-01-2004, 06:24 PM
looks around confused

GingerWolf
03-01-2004, 06:25 PM
i agree with jib though...i want our board back..*sniff sniff* we worked soo hard on getting our thread to where it was...*sniff sniff* 5829 posts...on one thread...thats great

Lil Dreamer
03-01-2004, 06:27 PM
it's for the best. too much grief was coming outta the Rant and Serious Discussion forums. and i suppose the babble board was just too much nonsense. heh, now my visits to here will be more limited than before and i'll probably just stop by to ask about how to do Battle Royale props and costumes and stuff. (yes, i'm ACTUALLY thinking about cosplaying) =P

Nipple. :)

*Jibrielle*
03-01-2004, 06:28 PM
kaine: sorry :(

ginger: YEAH I WANT IT BACK!!! :bigcry: we DID work extra-super-dooper hard!

Admin
03-01-2004, 06:29 PM
Those three forums have been suspended, there is an announcement up top of every forum.

GingerWolf
03-01-2004, 06:32 PM
but if those boards are gone where are those silly posts going to go to? huh? all the other boards....Thoses boards were just places to post and BS about everything and anything and really not get chewed out by other members of Cosplay.com...i want them back

*Jibrielle*
03-01-2004, 06:34 PM
yeah...i want them back too... :(

Lil Dreamer
03-01-2004, 06:34 PM
but if those boards are gone where are those silly posts going to go to? huh? all the other boards....Thoses boards were just places to post and BS about everything and anything and really not get chewed out by other members of Cosplay.com...i want them back

it just means the participants of those boards have to converge at another place to discuss whatever it was they were discussing. somewhere NOT in the cosplay.com forums.

Admin
03-01-2004, 06:38 PM
Yep, there's a whoooooole world wide web out there. Our little place on the WWW is for cosplay, and we'd like to keep it that way. This site isn't known for cosplay anymore. It's known for people whining about other cosplay.com members. Now it's going back to cosplay.

kelldar
03-01-2004, 06:42 PM
Yep, there's a whoooooole world wide web out there. Our little place on the WWW is for cosplay, and we'd like to keep it that way. This site isn't known for cosplay anymore. It's known for people whining about other cosplay.com members. Now it's going back to cosplay.

GOOD. Thank you.

GingerWolf
03-01-2004, 06:43 PM
the only thing i'm saying is what will probably happen...what I've seen on most sites. Thats all. The same thing happens over and over. When the board made for people to just go sit and basically bs and hang...since everyone doesn't have messengers...then it goes haywire and some little twirps will start posting stupid stuff in stupid places. I love this site I really do and find it very informative. I'm just trying to pass along informantion that have happened at over communities that I have belonged to

KuroBara
03-01-2004, 06:47 PM
*stands up and cheers*

Lil Dreamer
03-01-2004, 06:49 PM
the only thing i'm saying is what will probably happen...what I've seen on most sites. Thats all. The same thing happens over and over. When the board made for people to just go sit and basically bs and hang...since everyone doesn't have messengers...then it goes haywire and some little twirps will start posting stupid stuff in stupid places. I love this site I really do and find it very informative. I'm just trying to pass along informantion that have happened at over communities that I have belonged to

the mods will just either delete or lock the threads that are off-topic in it's respective forums. and they will keep on doing this until such actions cease.

Asukas~Doll
03-01-2004, 06:52 PM
well now that all those threads have been closed, many many members will leave or not bother coming anymore. I know of two already that have left.

GingerWolf
03-01-2004, 06:53 PM
Kurobara: who are you cheering for just wondering

Dreamer: the thing is with most internet people is some won't stop stupid actions...example sending viruses, finding out where ppl live and doing evil deeds to them, etc. It's in some people's nature to be annoying. If i'm offending anyone in away I apologize now but I stand by what I've said

Soul Tsukino
03-01-2004, 06:54 PM
I'm not agreeing with the decision, but it's not my board. I'll probably not post quite as much, but whatever, I'll survive

*Jibrielle*
03-01-2004, 06:57 PM

Most of us met here :bigcry:

Yunierei
03-01-2004, 06:57 PM
ugh...now all the bs and crap will migrate into other forums...and even though babble had nothing much to do with cosplay.com it gave us a place to hang and many people met fellow cosplayers by this site. Yes there had been a lot of complaints and it must be a lot of work for the mods, but you gotta take the good in with the bad...

Admin
03-01-2004, 07:00 PM
well now that all those threads have been closed, many many members will leave or not bother coming anymore. I know of two already that have left.

If people leave because they'd rather not partake in cosplay discussion and only random, off-topic babble, then this obviously wasn't the site for them to begin with.

DigitalCactus
03-01-2004, 07:01 PM
I guess somethings are for the better.... Kind of sucks the babble boards are gone though. I met alot of people through them...Alot of people.

Admin
03-01-2004, 07:02 PM
ugh...now all the bs and crap will migrate into other forums...and even though babble had nothing much to do with cosplay.com it gave us a place to hang and many people met fellow cosplayers by this site. Yes there had been a lot of complaints and it must be a lot of work for the mods, but you gotta take the good in with the bad...

No it won't, the mods will close the threads if they don't belong in the forums. The babble board gave everyone a place to meet, sure, but it also gave everyone a place to start petty arguments and drive off other members. If that's taking the good with the bad, I'd rather just end the bad and stick with the good.

Admin
03-01-2004, 07:05 PM
I guess somethings are for the better.... Kind of sucks the babble boards are gone though. I met alot of people through them...Alot of people.
We will more than likely institute a new, more moderated, off-topic section in the near future. But for the time being we've removed this section of the site, and there is no way we can just push the current babble board in that direction. Anything off-topic will have to start fresh.

GingerWolf
03-01-2004, 07:06 PM
Admin I really don't like to be a bother but the reason a lot of people go to the babble boards is because they want to get to know some of the members of this great site you have here. I know that these are your boards and that if you wanted to you could delet it all and say sorry I'm tired of it all. I, again, am just stating opions and trying to help

Resuka
03-01-2004, 07:09 PM
If people leave because they'd rather not partake in cosplay discussion and only random, off-topic babble, then this obviously wasn't the site for them to begin with.

While on some levels I agree with the sentiment, I have found I enjoy coming here for the cosplay discussion AND the random, off-topic discussions. It was a good way to meet/learn about the people behind the costumes, as it were.

While we can go to other forums for such interaction, it was still nice to converse with costuming peers about subjects other than cosplay, on occasion.

Yunierei
03-01-2004, 07:12 PM
So if we had the babble board back we'd still lose members and if we don't get it back lose members anyway. I understand the point of reverting everything back to it's original pupose, but it isn't right just because some people can't handle other's opinions. If they can't be mature enough then they should leave. It's hard to state one's opinions without hurting anothers. This isn't a something to close just because some people can't handle the heat of debates.

Admin
03-01-2004, 07:15 PM
While on some levels I agree with the sentiment, I have found I enjoy coming here for the cosplay discussion AND the random, off-topic discussions. It was a good way to meet/learn about the people behind the costumes, as it were.

While we can go to other forums for such interaction, it was still nice to converse with costuming peers about subjects other than cosplay, on occasion.

Once we feel that the site has calmed down a bit and the off-topic boards won't breed as much discontent for the site itself, we will consider putting an off-topic board back up and moderate it more heavily for rules violations. Till then, while I agree it was a great place to just hang out and chat (which is what it was intended for), it had a sort of wild-west feeling to it where it was easy to be put off from other members to the point of condemning this site as a whole. Trust me, I hear the complaints daily.

Asukas~Doll
03-01-2004, 07:16 PM
I must agree with Resuka and Yunie. It was fun being able to chat about things that aren't cosplay related sometimes. You got to see the person behind the costume and whatnot.

I do hope a new babble type board is put soon because many people will post random stuff in other forums.

And some people just can't be mature enough to keep from arguing just because they can't be seen on here. I understand how that would add to closing down the threads, but not the whole section.

I don't want to be a bother, but I must voice my opinion.

K_Valentine
03-01-2004, 07:17 PM
You want to go because the Babble Board and such are gone, go. You want to stay, stay. As long as the con boards remain telling which gatherings are likely to happen are, I'm staying and cosplaying.

Admin
03-01-2004, 07:20 PM

You're not a bother at all, and your opinion is being heard. That's what this thread is for. I understand many people will be upset about it, but for the time being it's the only thing we can do to stop the hemorrhaging of members from this site who feel as if this site isn't about cosplay anymore.

*Jibrielle*
03-01-2004, 07:21 PM
I must agree with Resuka and Yunie. It was fun being able to chat about things that aren't cosplay related sometimes. You got to see the person behind the costume and whatnot.

I do hope a new babble type board is put soon because many people will post random stuff in other forums.

And some people just can't be mature enough to keep from arguing just because they can't be seen on here. I understand how that would add to closing down the threads, but not the whole section.

Yeah...
People DO need to grow up and stop complaining like little kids to the admin just becuase __insert name here__ said something "mean" about __insert name here__

It's just stupid.

But that's just my opinion....

Soul Tsukino
03-01-2004, 07:22 PM
Jeez, now this one threads is turning into an "us V/S Them" battle

GingerWolf
03-01-2004, 07:23 PM
i have to agree with Jib and Doll.....lol here i go again....but doesn't it seem that you'll get just as much or even more complaints now that the boards are gone????

*Jibrielle*
03-01-2004, 07:24 PM
i have to agree with Jib and Doll.....lol here i go again....but doesn't it seem that you'll get just as much or even more complaints now that the boards are gone????

lol...yeah

I think some of us will loose contact with some people :( since some of them didn't have messengers

Admin
03-01-2004, 07:25 PM
Yeah...
People DO need to grow up and stop complaining like little kids to the admin just becuase __insert name here__ said something "mean" about __insert name here__

It's just stupid.

But that's just my opinion....

It's a bit of both. We have people who complain about everything that they take the wrong way. And we also have people who do nothing but crap all over other members. Both the complainers and the crappers live in the same house, and that's the off-topic forums. Burn down the house, and the complainers and crappers move elsewhere. Those who are serious about an "off-topic" forum will value it more once it's rebuilt.

Yunierei
03-01-2004, 07:26 PM
Yea...this isn't tattle on ur neighbor on crap u can't handle. If u don't like what's being stated then leave....

*Jibrielle*
03-01-2004, 07:28 PM
It's a bit of both. We have people who complain about everything that they take the wrong way. And we also have people who do nothing but crap all over other members. Both the complainers and the crappers live in the same house, and that's the off-topic forums. Burn down the house, and the complainers and crappers move elsewhere. Those who are serious about an "off-topic" forum will value it more once it's rebuilt.

I agree but won't the complainers and crappers move to the the other boards?... you will be deleteing threads all the time...

Admin
03-01-2004, 07:30 PM
I agree but won't the complainers and crappers move to the the other boards?... you will be deleteing threads all the time...

They might, but it's easy enough to just hit the "close" button on a thread.

GingerWolf
03-01-2004, 07:31 PM
Thats a big reason why so many people hate highschool because of all the drama. And thats what the off topic complainer were doing. Yes some of them were probably upset and even mader than goddess knows what..but thats part of life.

Yunierei
03-01-2004, 07:37 PM
How would it be easier if all the crap goes to the other boards? does that mean if u do find crap in a useful thread u'll delete the whole thing? Just curious....

Asukas~Doll
03-01-2004, 07:38 PM
Some people just can't deal. Let's hope that the immature ones will leave though and one day our random post board will be back.

Knight_Survive
03-01-2004, 07:39 PM
I can see the Admin's take on this,I dont really mind really,but would be kind of bad since well,all of us have made friends here one way or another,but I guess contrevercy has hindered our standards down,so I guess it goes without saying that I take the Admin's side on this one and press on foward...

*Jibrielle*
03-01-2004, 07:40 PM
Will we have a randomnes board in the future?

Resuka
03-01-2004, 07:41 PM
Hm. I admit, from a moderation standpoint, the multitude of random contentious threads generated by those boards must have been a nightmare to manage.

If you later implement a new incarnation of those areas, hopefully you will find a way to make them easier to oversee (which will in turn make them more enjoyable to post in!).

For the time being, this site will remain an invaluable resource and community, babble boards or no.

Thank you for your nigh-unending patience in addressing our concerns, Admin. Your decision is understandable, and abide-able ^_^

Yunierei
03-01-2004, 07:42 PM
But for the rest of us that have found good use to the babble board won't. For now it will flush out the crappers and I understand that but my point is to get it back somehow. We're not trying to make trouble we just want the board back...sorry

GingerWolf
03-01-2004, 07:42 PM
I can see the Admins point too being the Mod of some communities myself I understand some of the hardships. BUt I still stand firm on my opinion and find that deleting these boards will only cause more trouble than worth it

Admin
03-01-2004, 07:43 PM
Will we have a randomnes board in the future?

Yes, but a bit more moderated than before.

ZiggyB
03-01-2004, 07:44 PM
We'll do what we normally do when off-topic stuff happens in a thread. If the thread is still valuable, we'll delete the offending posts and warn everyone. The thread stays open and the conversation can continue.

If the topic has run it's course, we'll close the thread and move on.

Admin
03-01-2004, 07:44 PM
I can see the Admins point too being the Mod of some communities myself I understand some of the hardships. BUt I still stand firm on my opinion and find that deleting these boards will only cause more trouble than worth it

The admins and mods are adults and I'm sure we can handle it just fine. :)

Yunierei
03-01-2004, 07:46 PM
But the threads that were still going on are now closed....

GingerWolf
Ah but what of a topic that has gradually growen into another one that maybe unimportant to some people but very usual for others???

sry about all this I just want to get all my facts straight for future

Asukas~Doll
Lets just hope then that some of your guys' jobs will be a little easier now that you won't get so many complaints about how so-and-so said this and 'it hurted my feewings'.

But now there might be complaints about a thread that goes WAY off topic. But, good luck to you guys, and I'll be hoping that a new babble type board will be back soon.

*Jibrielle*
03-01-2004, 07:49 PM
so what you are saying is that: you will clean the boards and put them back on? :S

GingerWolf
Admin I kno I may be young but of the other forms I have ran have also had many adult Admins and Mods for helping and still everything went bonkers

Yunierei
Yes...hopefully we'll have our old ol' fashion babble board with new improvements! ^_^

For now I guess everyone will have to invest in AIM or Yahoo or something to pass the time....

Hikaru Tsuki
03-01-2004, 07:53 PM
I'm quite dissapointed with the removal of those forums. True, this is a cosplay site, and the other sections are useful, but the Serious Discussion, Rants and Babble Board, gave us a chance to talk and discuss things with those we can relate to. I know many of us here cannot relate to many other people in this world, so it was so nice to share opinions and such with those we *could* relate with. But with those forums gone, I'm not only dissapointed, but feel like I can't get to know the people here anymore.

It's not a community anymore, it's just a Q&A.

Admin
03-01-2004, 07:54 PM
so what you are saying is that: you will clean the boards and put them back on? :S

We will eventually open up a new off-topic forum where people can hang out. The old boards won't be deleted, and we will probably go through and pull any valid threads and move them into either an archive or a new off-topic board.

DarkCorp
03-01-2004, 07:55 PM
In a strange way, I find it more comforting that this site goes back to its roots of cosplaying. Although I enjoyed what the other threads offered, this place simply is called Cosplay.com for a reason.

GingerWolf
03-01-2004, 07:58 PM
I have to disagree...many people just need to talk to others like normal people and not everyone has their own comuter or are we forgeting this...no offense intended you all

K_Valentine
03-01-2004, 07:59 PM
There's always IM, email, MSN messenger, etc.

GingerWolf
03-01-2004, 08:00 PM
Again not everyone has their own computers....

K_Valentine
03-01-2004, 08:01 PM
And how does that stop them from coming here in the first place?

Yunierei
03-01-2004, 08:02 PM
Yes but notice the site is dedicated to cosplay...babble was just a little on to the side....Sure this is good that it's going back, but now people don't have a place to hang and if most people think about it this is where most of us all met each other. Though Babble and cosplay...though cosplay was probably our main roots to finding this site. Having babble was what made us all stick and learn for each other. Some people abuse the privilige, but it's still a place of gathering

*Jibrielle*
03-01-2004, 08:02 PM
In a strange way, I find it more comforting that this site goes back to its roots or just cosplay. Although I enjoyed what the misc threads offered, it just kinda felt out of place for a site that is dedicated to specifically cosplaying and con gatherings.

I don't agree with you darkie....

k_valentine: Some of them don't have messengers and used the boards as a way of comunicating...

Admin: YAY!

GingerWolf
03-01-2004, 08:03 PM
i'm not saying that I'm saying that not everyone has their own computer, therefore can't have messengers to talk to other people who share their same interest is all..something other than cosplaying

ZiggyB
03-01-2004, 08:07 PM
You know, it's a big wide internet out there. There are *plenty* of online forums, chats, etc to talk about anything and everything.

Personally, I like using livejournal.com and orkut.com for my non-cosplay chat. I've found a pretty fantastic Firefly and Farscape forum there. :)

yummyfire
Well, I say go for it. This will weed out the idiots.

Just be sure to set up a better-moderated one soon. :)

*Jibrielle*
i'm not saying that I'm saying that not everyone has their own computer, therefore can't have messengers to talk to other people who share their same interest is all..something other than cosplaying
To some people that was their way to comunicate and "hang-out"

GingerWolf
03-01-2004, 08:11 PM
yes I understand that there's a big internet out there. But some people actually like to stick around where their used too. Ya know liek a favored hang out. Thats all we're saying that the babble boards are to us and to some others. What if, for some reason, that they can't get to another online forum do to a stupid firewall a lot of libraries (at least in my area) and schools put up restricting you to go to certain sites. Heck my own high school sometimes restricts yahoo...

Asukas~Doll
03-01-2004, 08:11 PM
Yunie's right. We have found each other through cosplay, but what keeps us together is what we learn by other things. The relevant topics in the threads helped us learn more about each other and made us friends. You can't be friends just because of one hobby that's the same.

Plus, without the babble boards, how are we gonna find entertainment? XD It was fun to randomly do things to strengthen our friendships and just have fun.

And I agree with whatever ginger said (higher up). Some people are using school computers or are using family members computers to do this thing, so they can't have messenger on the computers.

Eriol
03-01-2004, 08:14 PM
I agree with Admin's decision to shut those forums down. It was growing far beyond the control of Admin and the mod staff. I did post the most in Serious and Rant dicussions, but I'm still here.

The Admin and the moderators now have more experience about managing such forums and can plan a better off-topic forum. Live and learn.

In the meantime, the site will go back to its roots. Focus and renew.

EDIT: Oh yes, some posts were so "bad" that somebody could call "libel," and a commercial site like this probably wouldn't like that kind of liability.

Yunierei
03-01-2004, 08:16 PM
Without something on the side for all of us to enjoy it's just about cosplaying and where to people go to meet others if they can't use something as simple as a Babble Board. Some people aren't able to get AIM or Yahoo because they may be computer deprived or maybe they're just too paranoid. Anyway I feel that the babble board has served us more good than bad. And even though closing it will keep the bad out, the good is simply wasted.

GingerWolf
03-01-2004, 08:20 PM
I agree with why the admin shut down those boards...but it would have been nice if we would have had a warning before shutting it down and making us go O.O' hey what the..bleep bleep bleep happened?

Yunierei
03-01-2004, 08:24 PM
Yea that would have been a hell of a nicer way to put a warning instead of just going cold turkey on us all....

Have a nice day! ^_^

Recca-kun
03-01-2004, 08:37 PM
I know I'm not the only person who has made friends through the actual costuming and convention forums.

To Admin, Aeris, and the moderators, I salute your decision.

GingerWolf
03-01-2004, 08:40 PM
Actually I haven't really.I just know a few ppl going to one con I'm going to CCC3. A small con but I like it and wel all decided to do pictures and stuff but thats about it really. I found the babble boards more of a welcoming forum...thats just my opinion though

BlueLady
03-01-2004, 08:58 PM
I will admit I was a babble board whore, but personaly i think this may be a good and possibly a positive permanent thing. People have been abusing the boards to an extensive degree and others are using then to launch personal attacks. Hoenestly alot of the rants and serious discussions are just rehashing threads of old. I mean after a year and a half, I feel like Im experiencing deja vu when i scan the rant board sometimes. Maybe a Lj is a better option for those who want to free rant?

Eleryth
03-01-2004, 09:02 PM
Good move, Admin. I completely understand why you did it. I also don't think the babble stuff will make it into the other threads.

I hardly ever (read: twice) visited the babble board. The serious discussion board was fun sometimes, but many feelings got hurt.

I have also met people thru normal cosplay threads, and consider them my online friends.

I know it is nice having a place to babble and visit friends all in one spot, but that's life. I understand that those who posted their often will be upset with the decision, but I agree that half the focus of this board was those three threads, when the focus should be cosplay and cosplay related things.

If you want a place to babble, LJs are free (or they were last time I checked). There are many (cosplay) communities, which basically act like a message board. You don't need your own computer.

There's also yahoo groups and mailing lists. All you need is a yahoo account, which is also free.

As for messengers, ever use the PM button on cosplay.com? There you go - messenger service. And you don't have to leave the site. A message will get sent to your email if you have that set up to let you know you received a PM, or else they just show up on the upper right hand corner when you are logged in.

Or, sign up for ICQ and go to http://go.icq.com. You don't need to download it to your computer, and you can use it from anywhere. ICQ is also now connected with AIM users. I don't know about ICQgo, because I don't have an AIM account.

Once again, good work on making a difficult decision. It is your board, and you can do what you like. I read your announcement, and all your reasonings make sense. Keep up the good work.

ZiggyB
03-01-2004, 09:12 PM
FYI, I've renamed the thread to something a little more specific.

Claire
03-01-2004, 09:27 PM
I think this is a fantastic move.

It was really strange that so many people here didn't cosplay, but just hung out to talk in the OT forums. Many "regulars" never posted in any of the costuming forums. Just strange, really, since it's Cosplay.com, not NerdHangOut.com.

Every now and then, a great conversation would come out of one of those boards - a lot of people here are really up with current events and such, and it was a way for young people to hear about politics and whatnot from the perspective of their peers. But those one or two threads out of every twenty or thirty can't justify the endless amount of petty arguments. It's not fair to the moderators to have to let all that crap happen in the name of free speech.

Apparently some people only have this board as a way of communicating with their friends? Eh? You still have PMs, right? Downloading AOL Instant Messanger is free, and extremely easy. Or you could go spend hundreds of dollars buying your own domain and hosting and space and bandwidth for it, and make your own forums for casual chatter. This website is 100% free courtesy of Admin, and those of you complaining should learn to appreciate the work he and the other staff members do here.

Initial Diesal
03-01-2004, 10:00 PM
All means of free speech have now been controlled. I feel that the issue has many dominant traits on both sides; but understanding the key motive is something to think about. So far all the forums for free expression have been ruled out; meaning that A) the people who flood this site with constant pointing of the fingers and essential negative voice will not have a place to spam. But B) All personal issues and thoughts about certain things inside the cosplay community will not be expressed.
There is no longer any forum in which members can cool off their feelings and also debate about critical topics. All things bad or good are still issues to be dealt with. Ignoring people's thoughts on society with just make members more confused and also feel discouraged from writing their thoughts. Because then questions will be asked each time we are about to click the "post reply"; will my thoughts get deleted, is what I'm saying offending, is what I'm saying not on topic, where can I express myself and why can't I freely speak my mind in an appropriate or humourous way that seems appealing to keep our spirits up in a cosplay society. I feel that the means of authority is pressing the issue a bit too hard and now has made it unavoidable. Even to making it upset to many others. This will gradually have to go on as days pass because more members will see that things they put a lot of effort in are gone. To me I feel that that is a little discouraging.

While I understand the positive side to the irratication of the free speech boards, it does effect everyone and now the majority that contribute to those boards are being punished wether they did something wrong or not. This will only make some members feel personally responsible.

Also I have to disagree with some of the motives about this decision. It seems that it is now being a controled enviroment. Some people may disagree with the methods and be discouraged enough to leave but also these people may not be the cause of the problems and may have contributed in positive ways to the community in making it a more enriched enviroment. Lately there has been a lot of force and negative force of authority on new members because of spammers. This is fair to a point, but when you discourage a new member that could of been a fine cosplayer I think that is when you need to draw the line. This is a community in which we want to grow not deplete. Also a very important issue, even though this may be a cosplay based society. People don't derive only on cosplay alone. We all have have other interest and other things in our lives that may not relate to cosplay but still has a lot to relate with in human socialization. We all have one thing in common and that is that we have an interest in cosplay and anime. But what else do we have in common, what are somethings we can laugh together, cry together or even get upset together. Things like 911, certainly if something like that were to happen again and someone had made an off topic post about it on the cosplay.com site, what will that person feel if their voice was deleted.

Babble had it's means for a social gathering in amusing ways relax.
Rant had its means to vent and cool off.
Serious discussion was a way to stimulate your way of thinking in debates, which is not at all always negative because one is always gaining more awareness of life even through argueing.
These are my feelings on the topic and I hope my opinions aren't pushed aside and deleted.

Xais
03-01-2004, 10:27 PM
I don't like the fact it was taken off because it was a nice little addition to the cosplaying comunity for when we didn't feel like talking about cosplaying stuff. Like the suggest a costume game which I grown so attached to. I like flipping through the conventions and disscussing the topics of cosplay I really do. But restricting to just that is Like trying to take a toy two kids are fighting over just because you don't feel like dealing with it. Not to be rude or offend. If its because of the mods not wanting to deal with it or the site becomeing wider than your control then I would ask if it's in good judgement to hire more mods? I would offer my service gladly to keep this alive. Although I'm sure I'm on Santas naughty list for the kind of stuff I have had closed but I am trying to give constructive ideas.

Rey-Rey
03-01-2004, 10:31 PM
Don't like it?

Make your own board.

Need to meet new people? Go through the MEMBERS LIST and get their AIMs. Simple.

If you have to, get your own blog and talk about why nice guys finish last. =D

There's always other ways to make conversation. ICQ, MSN Messenger, AIM, OTHER MESSAGE BOARDS...

I know it sounds kinda funny from a guy who doesn't seem to take a lot of things seriously. But come on now. If you're getting mad because someone is "better" at you on certain hobbies, then you are in need of counseling. Or growing up. ^__^ v

Claireon
03-01-2004, 10:42 PM
There's still PM's; nobody's mentioned those yet. I'm sad that those forums are gone, but it makes sense. This site has no obligation to be all things to all people. There's plenty of character and fun and socialization in the regular cosplay-related threads. And if you wanna talk with someone, PM them.

So I'm disappointed that I can't read up on the latest developments in the "Virginity" and "Relationships" threads, but hey, whaddaya gonna do. :rolleyes:

Cyn
03-01-2004, 10:50 PM
The least of all thing, I don't think the Serious discussion board should have been taken away. While yes, some things there are completely idiotic, there are some important issues that take place there, and while you say to go to another forum and talk about it there, there are many people here, who do not post in other forums, that have a bond with fellow posters here that may be able to sympathize, understand, and can relate more to what a certain topic says. To just say to go to another forum and make new friends is probably a heartless aspect to take and suggest upon others, because for some members here, it has taken months, and possibly years in most cases, to develop and bond with fellow posters.

While some may say "It'll reduce trouble and annoyances", sadly, that is ever the case within any forum. When you run and operate a forum, you're going to have to deal with situations, complaints, and problems no matter what you can do. People are the ones that cause complaints, not sections. Not to mention, you're just going to have to deal with simular posts go from now till who knows when.

:skidude2: Then again...Everybody can always just take it to the general section :p

Initial Diesal
03-01-2004, 11:02 PM
Well here it is, I'ved made a place for us on EZboards. I hope people will enjoy it.

(spam removed)

Please be patient will it's grand opening, it may not be visual stimulating now. But it is now open for discussions. Feel free to join.

*Jibrielle*
03-01-2004, 11:14 PM
Well here it is, I'ved made a place for us on EZboards. I hope people will enjoy it.

(spam removed)

Please be patient will it's grand opening, it may not be visual stimulating now. But it is now open for discussions. Feel free to join.

roar!! you went ahead of me :p

Soul Tsukino
03-01-2004, 11:14 PM
Well, as much as I don't like his deleivery, The former poster was right. I've had my own board for four years and was created from a similer experience. Sure the groups smaller now, but still it's just a little hang out non topic place.

Initial Diesal
03-01-2004, 11:20 PM
roar!! you went ahead of me :p

Lol, sorry. I'm sure it's very possible that several people will try and make their own forums. I just hope that it isn't a contest of who's has the greatest forum. I'm just trying to heal the wound and give everyone a place to have fun.

Admin
03-01-2004, 11:20 PM
ID: Posting URL's to other cosplay forums has always been considered spam here, sorry.

gally2003
03-01-2004, 11:31 PM
I'm quite dissapointed with the removal of those forums. True, this is a cosplay site, and the other sections are useful, but the Serious Discussion, Rants and Babble Board, gave us a chance to talk and discuss things with those we can relate to. I know many of us here cannot relate to many other people in this world, so it was so nice to share opinions and such with those we *could* relate with. But with those forums gone, I'm not only dissapointed, but feel like I can't get to know the people here anymore.

It's not a community anymore, it's just a Q&A.

exactly how I feel about this.

Admin
03-01-2004, 11:37 PM
Final comment, though it's been said a few times now already:

Once we feel everyone will treat an "off-topic" forum a bit more responsibly, we'll put something back up. For the time being, there are over 30-40 other forums here you can get to know people in, all of which have to do with cosplay, which is the purpose of this website.

I'm not going to keep debating this back and forth. It's gone for now, something will be back up again in the future.