PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering...

Anjierusu
03-03-2004, 10:02 AM
Trying to categorize this. I think it's technically crossplay if you give the illusion (or atleast try) that you are a different sex. So if I'm a guy, blatantly wearing a skirt, but still appearing, Sort of masculine... I'm just wondering if it's crossplay or not.

dani
03-03-2004, 01:30 PM
Categories R not Us.
There is no special "crossplay" status, membership, secret handshake, exclusive rights, or anything...Just a collection of techniques to help blend looks usually associated to separate genders.
I think anybody who purposely does something to blur the gender lines is in some way connected to crossplay.

As an example, Sting wore a kilt to the Golden Globes. He had NO intention of appearing feminine, and a kilt is male garb by his cultural upbringing. BUT he knew that the majority of the millions of viewers will have "skirt=woman" hardwired in their brains, so he was fully aware he was messing with their heads, and doing his part on helping break a stigma.

Was he crossplaying? nope. Was his wardrobe choice meaningful to shy prospective crossplayers? I think so...

Dani

ZiggyB
03-03-2004, 03:30 PM
Um... this is not really crossplay related, as it's mostly a categorical thing. This would normally go into the serious discussion board, but as that has gone away, I'm gonna go ahead and close this thread.

This forum is for tips and advice on how to dress up and appear as the opposite gender.

However, if one of the other mods thinks this is appropriate, they can reopen this thread.