PDA

View Full Version : Palening Skin

Aya Frost
03-04-2004, 05:29 PM
Hi! I'm new to the world of cosplaying and I'm going to be going as Rydia to a convention and I was wondering how I would change my fair/beige skin tone to a ivory skin tone? Also I need to do basically my whole body, so where could I find the amount of make up to do this? Thank you in advance!

~Aya Yuy

Umi
03-04-2004, 05:52 PM
You might want to reconsider whether you really need a skin tone change. Generally most people won't bother with skin tone altering makeup unless the character is really known for having unusual skin color such as very pale or white skin like Mana or blue skin in the case of Shiva from several Final Fantasy Games. Also keep in mind that you'll have to be pretty careful as eventually the makeup will come off on your costume or whoever or whatever else you come in contact with. And finally you'll probably need a second party to help you apply the makeup evenly on your body.

If you really do need full body makeup it's a good idea to keep things simple. For example instead of covering all of your legs it's a better idea to wear nylons in the appropriate color.

mikazuki
03-04-2004, 06:07 PM
I totally agree with Umi. Most people won't go to the distance of changing the skin tone in order to become the character. You could use a body stocking to give your skin a light coloring and use a paler foundation on your face. The most important thing you can do after applying foundation is to set it with a powder.

Now there ARE foundations that are waterproof and won't come off your costume. I used it when I competed in beauty pageants. NEVER wear liquid foundation because that will run. Off hand I can't recall the product names of the waterproof foundation but do know that places like WalMart do carry one brand used to cover scars and birthmarks.... Ah I remember the product name Dermablend (http://www.dermablend.com)!

Olivia
03-04-2004, 06:26 PM
Well... exfoliation will take off the top, darker layer of skin, letting the lighter and more radient under layers show through.

Drackt
03-04-2004, 09:10 PM
What I've done is mixed white creme base with ivory foundation..and it has worked. But I think I might look into what they call "Vampyr Base" this Halloween....

Aya Frost
03-04-2004, 10:09 PM
Whoa! You people reply quickly ^_^ Thank you for the help, I'll try stockings and a lighter foundation on my face. Thanks again!

~Aya Yuy

archangeli
03-05-2004, 12:20 AM
be careful of wearing a lighter foundation!!

it will look really weird unless you blend it into your hairline and your neck. you don't want to look like you have a mask of foundation on your face!

Cait
03-05-2004, 08:12 AM
Before you commit to any of the wonderful (no sarcasm) ideas, take a few pictures of yourself in natural light, artificial light, and with a flash. Usually, your complexion will wash out some, naturally. You might not need as much of a reduction in color as you think.

Kokuu
03-08-2004, 01:27 AM
Actually, baby powder works fairly well for lightening skin a little bit and giving you the "I haven't been out in the sun" look. One of my friends used baby powder when she did a j-rock cosplay to make the rest of her skin paler and it worked pretty well. Baby powder is pretty cheap, and is safe to use on skin. The con is it that it sweats off kind of quickly, and needs to be reapplied if you are running around the con.