PDA

View Full Version : Make up that won't rub off or smudge easily.

AuraAnchar
03-04-2004, 09:10 PM
I was curious what sort of make-ups I should use that won't easily rub off or smudge on other people. I don't really need much.

I need to do the make up for Sesshomaru. Which will be the two red lines on either cheek and either wrist. As well as the blue moon on his forehead.

I figured I could just use a eyeliner for the red lines though I'm not sure how well that would actually work.

Any suggestions would really be appreciated!

Thank you.

-Aura

Hanyaan
03-04-2004, 11:20 PM
For that sort of thing, buy some theatrical makeup sealant. I have some from Ben Nye. It almost completely stops my Death makeup from wiping off. Only downside (and it's not that bad) is that it smells quite like toothpaste, so as long as you don't mind being "minty fresh" it'll work. Plus even I'm not allergic to it, and I'm allergic to lots of theatrical-type makeup.

Seraphims
03-05-2004, 12:34 AM
I use eye liner for wiskers and stuff for my cat costume, works well enough. But it looks like eye liner.... so depends on how cool you want it to be, what to look great? go with Hanyaan's idea

AuraAnchar
03-05-2004, 04:18 AM
Thank you very much. I will try it.

-Erin

Niku-Sama
03-05-2004, 12:31 PM
I use shelaque (sp?) from benefit to put over makeup it works wonderful! I have done my friends entire face every day fro ren faire with it and it stayed on for the entire 12hrs of work and prep. I highly reccomend it. as long as you dont put way too much on or it will become sticky. It also comes with assorted brushes for different applications

Sarcasm-hime
03-05-2004, 05:39 PM
I used to draw patterns on my face all the time, and I just used eyeliner. To keep it from smudging I'd just pat a bit of translucent powder on top to set the patterns. ^_^ But for more extensive stuff I'd recommend Ben Nye or Kryolan body paints and sealers.

ShatteredSunset
03-05-2004, 07:25 PM
My friends use acrylic paint. The cheap alternative ^^'''

Sarcasm-hime
03-06-2004, 01:02 AM
I'd avoid using acrylic paint on your body. The pigments are not meant for use on your skin and some of them are toxic. Also, acrylic paint has a tendency to crack and flake off as it's not designed to go on something that will be moving and stretching (i.e. skin).

Karisu-sama
03-06-2004, 04:23 AM
"Minty" setting spray = for water-based makeup
Translucent setting powder = for oil-based makeup

Both work pretty well.

(hairspray is an emergency alternative for use over water-based makeup, but you have to be really careful, as it can also make the makeup "run" before it dries.)

TiraMisuSH
03-09-2004, 10:31 PM
Hey for when I needed bright blue lipstick for my Mana makeup I used eyeliner Bright blue that doesn't smudge and it is very dry By Maybalen or whatever you call it. I met other Mana's and they were like "Wow your lipstick is great where did you get that?" I sid it was eye line and it stains and doesn't come off with soap and water and they repliead " Thats sooo cool! Mine just comes right of after a lick or two!" So Eyeliner is the cheapest way to go I'd say...

archangeli
03-10-2004, 06:37 PM
I just bought a theatrical quality make-up sealant by Mehron. I'm gonna play around with it and I'll post my results.

I have some plans that will involve some serious makeup but I don't want to smudge and ruin any of my costumes.

neko rinchan
03-25-2004, 08:10 PM
I went to my local dance theatric shop asking about blue face paint for my zelgabunny costume. Aside from the fact the girl didn't really know what she was talking about, she gave me three options. A oil (?) based (have to use cold cream) dark blue, a water based dark blue, and a lighter (but not by much) blue pancake makeup. I need the makeup to not smudge the white fur bunny hood, so which would be best to use? And is it possible to mix the oil based paint to get a lighter color? thanks for the info!

archangeli
03-25-2004, 08:36 PM
Buy the blue pancake makeup :) Here's what you do:

Buy the shade of blue that matches your desired character best. Mehron has a website with a color chart - just search it up in google. I'm too lazy to do that right now.

Use a damp makeup wedge sponge - damp! not wet - and use it to apply the blue makeup to your face. Go as heavy/light as you want for your coverage. Don't forget your hairline, neck, etc.

Use Mehron's "Barrier Spray Fixer and Sealer" ($8 CAN) on top. It only works for water-based products, which is why I suggested the pancake makeup to start. Close your eyes and mist it 8 inches from your face. You may want to use a towel to cover your chest/shirt, etc. Don't get it in your eyes - it stings like hell. 2-3 spritzes over your whole face will do it.

Let it dry - 30 secs to 1 min. Your blue face will be smudge-proof and water-resistant.

I did this using a white pancake makeup - here's the pic:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=118534

Ben Nye makes similar products, and I use them interchangeably. Whatever your local theatrical makeup supplier has in stock will do.

I And is it possible to mix the oil based paint to get a lighter color? thanks for the info!
Oil and water don't mix - they teach you that in chem class, lol :) If you use 2 diff shades of the oil based paint, then you can mix them.
BUT - you need to set the oil-based makeup with a setting powder. It will still smear though. What I suggest if you decide to go this route it to set the oil-based makeup with a setting powder, THEN spritz with a makeup sealer.

Tiirz
04-06-2004, 08:05 PM
In a pinch, makeup sealant can be replaced by pump hairspray as it's pretty much the same thing. My bf has done that on movie sets. Just make sure not to breathe for a moment and keep your eyes shut, but it's the same with sealant. It stings a little for some people and not at all for others, but he's never had anyone have a bad reaction to it. If you are really allergic to things, you might test a little patch.

Clueless Case
04-06-2004, 11:03 PM
I agree with the idea of makeup sealant. A tiny bottle can go a long way. Make shur you have some good makeup remover or u gonna have to sandblast it off..

Cat Scratch
04-06-2004, 11:49 PM
Try Kryolon Aqua Color for the stripes and moon. It's like face paint. Just wet it with a brush, paint it on, let it dry, and then use a little setting powder and that should do the trick.