PDA

View Full Version : Mac-Tac's attempt at a Masq...(aka cosplay idol)

Kisa
03-04-2004, 11:33 PM
so... are any of the actually QUALIFIED costume judges (Jackie ward, Barb... maybe one or two of the Master Costumers) going to be on the 'celebrity' panel, or is it just going to be one big Wh*re-fest popularity contest with no actual workmanship judging?

Kia
03-05-2004, 12:23 PM
I think the consensus from the other MAC TAC thread is that the Celebs are going to be the voice actor guests (who I might add are all male). To the "normal anime fan" who only watches what anime is on YTV and FOX they have no idea who Jackie Ward, Barb and the other major figures in Canadian costuming are. I bet even the Hobbystar staff don't have a clue who they are. These wonderful men and women who are all exceptionally talented only seem to be celebrities to a small portion on the cosplay crow.
So no, I really doubt there are going to be any actual qualified judges.

kenhidaka
03-05-2004, 05:12 PM
This may make judging a little more unfair towards people dedicated to making costumes. I remember one costume contest I entered once with my Seifer costume. At least several people came up and congratulated me on a well-made costume but sure enough I lost the competition. It was fan-based and the top 3 costumes were not only made and worn by women (not saying I have anything against them) but they were decently revealing so I thought it was very unfair to me who worked on such a good costume to get beaten by three costumes that are not even anime based. But this is totally different. All I can say is, I hope the judge panel takes the aspect of our costume making seriously and not kid around about who is dressing as what.

Scoti
03-05-2004, 06:47 PM
I know I’ve said my 2cents on this matter but after thinking about it for a while it might not be as bad as everyone thinks. I guess everyone assumes that as soon as the word “idol” is used that automatically means there is going to be Simon type judging. Even if the judges aren’t qualified I doubt they will tare you apart on stage mainly because they want you to come back to their “convention”… But I agree that they should have at least one actual experienced costumer to be the voice of reason. Plus you have to keep in mind that the audience votes too so it depends on how diverse it is….

Kisa
03-05-2004, 10:15 PM
Oh, because we all know how decent the audience was at the LAST hobbystar event... -_-'

JustinCredible
03-05-2004, 10:58 PM
Oh, because we all know how decent the audience was at the LAST hobbystar event... -_-'

Are you talking about CN or the NovemberCon? Because I really don't know what happened during the latter? (If anything happened at all)

Kia
03-06-2004, 12:07 AM
I think Kisa was talking about CN Anime

Scoti
03-06-2004, 08:11 AM

Yeah if your talking about CN the whole yelling for Neo thing was annoying....Oh well it's nice to dream...

kenhidaka
03-06-2004, 11:14 AM
You may be right Scoti that there may be no Simon to bash at our costumes but still there may be someone on that judging panel that could treat our costumes as nothing but trash. I'm still gonna compete and if they don't like it, that's their opinion but if you ever seen "American Idol", some people don't take bad comments like the others and it may blow way out of proportion.

Kia
03-06-2004, 11:18 AM
You may be right Scoti that there may be no Simon to bash at our costumes but still there may be someone on that judging panel that could treat our costumes as nothing but trash. I'm still gonna compete and if they don't like it, that's their opinion but if you ever seen "American Idol", some people don't take bad comments like the others and it may blow way out of proportion.
I think the Simon character will probably be tha audience. People have the tendency to become very loud and judegmental at these things.

Ninja Sensei
03-08-2004, 08:28 AM
...the audience. People have the tendency to become very loud and judegmental at these things.

Only because they haven't matured enough yet.

That, and the fact that we all tolerate this behaviour. (I've even seen some cosplayers ENCOURAGE it! * shudder *) I know many (probably ALL) the posters to this forum are not among that body ... but if your work is to receive the recognition it deserves, the respect for the participants will have to improve. How is this going to happen? I have no idea... Especially as the worst offender at last year's CNA/SFX was a contestant who was seated in the audience after their presentation.

Once we all (including the non-cosplayers in the audience) learn how to play nice in the sandbox, the hobby will be much more enjoyable for everyone.

So I heartily encourage everyone to always treat yourself and your fellow cosplayers with their due respect, to encourage newbies, to not denigrate even the most modest attempts to participate in the game, and to always keep in mind that this is supposed to be FUN.

Minakolabelle
03-08-2004, 02:01 PM
I fell that audence perticipation is fine, yelling included, as long as the cosplayer asks for it and the audience stops once the skit resumes. I know Mike and mine's skit would have been pertty borring is we didn't have all the people yelling out bids on him, but it would have also been irritating if they kept on calling out bids for teh rest of the masq -_-;; I was in the 40s and even I got irritated with the random "kiss neo"s that I heard. I even ended up smacking some one to make them stop it >_o

I think that's the reason why most people here are agenst this "Cosplay Idol" thing; it *is* suppose to be fun but it also a part of human nature to be competive. Instead of the masq setting when all the judging is held behind closed doors, and you have the choice of weither or not you go to the awards announcements, you'll just be publicly kick out of the competition. Even if we are encougring the newbies the bottom line is a lot of people are going to be hurt from it. If there is any underling gruges between people for waht ever reasons those will be shown in it all just ahve that said person kicked out -_-;

I fell that the nature of the "idol" part is a bad idea all together, so I'm just not competing, simple as that. IF they couldn't give us a masq, I feel that they would have been better off giving us a cosplay fashion show where people can just show off their work and not have to worry about competing.

Spatx
03-08-2004, 02:51 PM
IF they couldn't give us a masq, I feel that they would have been better off giving us a cosplay fashion show where people can just show off their work and not have to worry about competing.

Yes, I agree completely. Its the whole 'publicly kicked out' that bugs me. With a Fashion Show, you don't have to worry about anything, and hence that I would be able to go onstage with not much stage fright. I'm shy - so the whole 'idol' thing makes me cringe. Masquerades make me really nervous before hand, but I do enjoy getting up on stage and participating. I've never been to the awards part yet, mostly because its too late and my friends are falling asleep. :lol

In any case, maybe we should propose for them to do a masquerade, or if not, a fashion show. I know this year theres not enough time to change what is going to happen, but perhaps for the November con if they have one again, this idea could help.

lainey
03-08-2004, 05:02 PM
Minako that's a good idea... a fashion show.

they wouldn't have to have the huge organization that a masquerade requires.

you should e-mail them with that idea!

Eleryth
03-08-2004, 05:25 PM
WARNING: LONG POST

Here's the contact information. It's never too late to try. This convention is 2 weeks away, and at least you can make your voice heard BEFORE the event. If enough people speak up, who's to say they won't change it? Things change last minute at cons anyway. I can't think of a single con I have attended that didn't have some sort of last minute alteration.

E-mail info@hobbystar.com
Phone 416-761-1760
Fax 416-761-1751
Mailing Address
Hobby Star Marketing
4 Varsity Rd.
Toronto, ON
M6S 4N4
Canada
SciFi/Anime Info Line 416-761-1750

We should try to see a solution, instead of focus on the problem. It sounds like we all have the same idea of what the basic problem is... so, lets put it into words and send it to them. As kaijugal's sig says, "you have to be the change you want to see in the world"- if you want to change the cosplay world, you must do something.

A sample letter/email (because I have nothing better to do at work):

Dear Hobbystar,

As a citizen of the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) and a member of the cosplay community, I am writing to express my concern over an event planned for Toronto AnimeCON, March 20-21, 2004. The event in question is the ‘Cosplay Idol’ contest.

The details for this contest are few, and therefore I base the idea of how it will run on past Idol events (American Idol, Candaian Idol, etc.). I believe this type of event would discourage new costumers from entering, for fear of the audience backlash and unwelcome comments and criticism. As well, having the audience choose their favorite cosplayer would reduce the contest to one of popularity. Those dressed as popular characters (for example, Yuna from Final Fantasy) or in skimpier costumes, also known as ‘fanservice costumes’, (for example, Faye Valentine from Cowboy Bebop) would have a better chance at winning. This is something we, as a cosplay/costuming community, are trying to stay away from. Costuming is not a popularity contest – it has been, and should be about the costume (how well it fits, how well it’s made, and so on) and sometimes the performance in the costume (if they act like the character).

The average audience member would not know a well constructed or difficult to make garment, and even if they could, there’s no way they would be able to tell from a position in the audience. As well, many people enter rare costumes, from little heard of manga, anime, or video games. As I have seen from Masquerades, the popular characters that the audience knows get a better reaction than the unknown characters, even if the lesser-known costume is better constructed. It is fortunate that these Masquerades are evaluated by judges who do their best to remain partial, and not on audience participation.

I believe a masquerade type event with experienced judges (possibly with a few celebrity judges) would be a great benefit to this convention, and in fact, draw more entries than a Cosplay Idol contest. It gives every costumer an even chance, and rewards those who put lots of hard work into their costumes. If this type of event cannot be held, I would rather see a Fashion Show instead of a Cosplay Idol event, as then the costumers can show off their costumes, but not worry about being the most popular (instead of the most skilled). If the Cosplay Idol contest is held, this costumer will not be attending, neither as a cosplayer nor as an audience member.

I thank you for your time and consideration in this matter. I felt I had to speak up as a concerned member of this community, or else our voice might not be heard.

Sincerely,
(your name)

Feel free to edit as you see fit. Wrote this in about 15 minutes this morning, for something to do. I would actually send one, if there was any possibility of me attending. If this doesn't seem like something you want to do individually, then alter it, print it, and get people to sign it? Although, I think sending letters/emails of concern (remember to keep a copy with date and time for your records) is a better route. Good luck to everyone.

Kaijugal
03-08-2004, 11:37 PM
I'll be interested to hear how things go. If I have the day off work I may attend, just to see a few friends and to support the costumers. I also promised Xiola that I would help out with something she's planning if possible. If not I hope you all post your impressions of the event.
Cheers!

Ninja Sensei
03-11-2004, 11:40 AM
I fell that audence perticipation is fine, yelling included, as long as the cosplayer asks for it and the audience stops once the skit resumes. I know Mike and mine's skit would have been pertty borring is we didn't have all the people yelling out bids on him, but it would have also been irritating if they kept on calling out bids for teh rest of the masq -_-;; I was in the 40s and even I got irritated with the random "kiss neo"s that I heard. I even ended up smacking some one to make them stop it >_o

Don't get me wrong ... I'm not saying there should be no audience particpation. And, indeed, many acts count on at least audience response to get the impact they're looking for.

But there is a fine line that everybody walks. Audience participation is fine ... when that's what the person was going for. The audience has to be mature enough to realise that not EVERY entry is looking for things to be shouted at them.

The audience also has to realise that WHEN they respond is just as important as HOW the respond. Boorish aucience members should not try to hijack the contestant's time on stage with their loud comments. Waiting until after the contestant has had their chance to show their stuff and the presentation is over should be - at the very least - the MINIMAL standard to apply. And comments directed at the MC should never be shouted out during a contestant's presentation.

And NEVER should anything of a derogatory or inflammatory nature be thrown out at the contestants. The audience has to remember that the contestants are baring their soul and showing their work on stage for the benefit of all involved ... The contestants are the ones in the spotlight, NOT the loud obnoxious audience member who doesn't get enough attention in real life.

As for the repeated calls for "Neo" last year at SFX/CNA, the audience should learn when a joke just isn't funny anymore. Again, this just shows how some people must have very small and shallow lives that they can't move on from something that was only humourous the first time or two.

So ... Audience members, keep in mind that the contestants deserve your respect. They put in a tremendous amount of effort and investment of self in their art ... and you, the audience, get to benefit from it. Be courteous, be civil, and be nice.

JustinCredible
03-11-2004, 05:00 PM
And folks... thats advice you can take to the bank!

Even I got annoyed with the Neo calls...

kenhidaka
03-11-2004, 08:53 PM
Can I get an Amen?!

Yes just be respectable everyone and they will respect you back.

Kia
03-12-2004, 11:36 AM
It is in that kind of enviroment that we really need to begin to police ourselves. If you hear someone being a jackass, tell them to stop. Usually the more people who tell them to stop the more likely they are to actually shut up. Granted, some people won't, but it's worth trying. Honestly, if we don't try to control situations like these ourselves how can we turn around and complain about them in the future if we've done nothing to stop the situation when we've had the chance.

Spatx
03-12-2004, 12:21 PM
My friends were telling people to stop with the Neo thing too. T_T I don't think they listened, but at least we tried. *nods* Hopefully next time if something like that happens - we can get it under control. If not, I'm sure we could go talk to security guards (or someone like that) to talk to the people being rude.

rox_my_sox
03-13-2004, 03:41 PM
so this cosplay idol thing is like just plays/skits? cuz i was reading all of the posts about it and the info from the site and thats what it seems to be. on the site its says

"The costumes will be judged by the audience that is present by applause. Our special celebrity judges will have an opportunity to verbally review each contestant, but they do not actual vote. The judges will however, be the judges on who gets to go through to the final round based on audience applause."
so i guess there will be celebrity judges there.... and another thing about it that it says is "Music or pre-recorded information can be played while you are on stage. Please submit your cassette tape or CD when you register for the Cosplay Idol. Cassette tapes must be cued and CD's must indicate what track to play. All cassettes and CD's will be available for pick-up after the competition or on Sunday, March 21st at the front desk from 11:00 am to 5:00 PM." how can u make a play if the audience cant here u, cuz it says that audience members wont be able to hear us on stage....it shall be hard...not sure what im doing about thus...ive never bin to anything like the cosplay idol thing so ive never expierienced anything like the screaming and rude coments and such.

lainey
03-13-2004, 04:57 PM
man i just saw the regulations now...
even I'M confused...

will there be skits or no O_o

"Presentations are limited to 30 secords for one to four persons, and 45 seconds for five or more persons. Groups are restricted to 12 participates at a time for any one presentation. Entries cannot exceed the time limits!"

it sounds like a very SHORT "masq" to me where there are rounds that you have to "pass" by audience cheering.

Kia
03-13-2004, 08:22 PM
To me it sounds like it's intended to be just an "extended" walk on showcase... stupid Hobbystar making everything all confusing....
Kim, did you go to the masquerade at Anime North? If you did last year was NOTHING like what happened at CN Anime this past summer. THAT is the evil masq that everyone keeps making reference to. If you had been there then you would understand how absolutly horrible an audience of obnixious, tackless assholes is like.
... I wasn't actually there by the way... but I've seen the video and heard far too many accounts from the masq.

kenhidaka
03-13-2004, 11:51 PM
First they said it was going to be just a costume contest, now it's like a masquerade and now Kia states it's only 30 seconds long??? What can you think of that is 30 sec. long that's not like a model showing nor a 1 min skit?

Kaijugal
03-14-2004, 03:40 AM
For me, (at CNA last year) it wasn't the Neo calls I found annoying, (they were in good fun at first), but three things,
1) people who couldn't tell when to let a joke die. This is a big problem.
2) people who yell at the contestants DURING thier act
3) people who yell things such as: "get that (censored) whore off the stage", or somesuch. 100% not funny, not cool, and not called for.

I think last year's show was a learning experience for alot of us, myself included. Hopefully may people will be urged to become ambassadors of goodwill, supporting the hobby by being respectful of others and leading by example.

:bigtu:

rox_my_sox
03-14-2004, 05:17 PM
To me it sounds like it's intended to be just an "extended" walk on showcase... stupid Hobbystar making everything all confusing....
Kim, did you go to the masquerade at Anime North? If you did last year was NOTHING like what happened at CN Anime this past summer. THAT is the evil masq that everyone keeps making reference to. If you had been there then you would understand how absolutly horrible an audience of obnixious, tackless assholes is like.
... I wasn't actually there by the way... but I've seen the video and heard far too many accounts from the masq.

i only got to see like the last 10 minutes of the anime north masq last year. I cant wait to see how this "cosplay idol" will turn out...it seems like it is not very organized and i think that it will fall appart. I hope there are not pointless screamings and such at this convention because if there is i will be forced to walk up to the person and tell them to "shut the **** up" because i do not tolerate that kind of behavier(i kinda sound like my grandma >_<; creepy) im not sure if im gonig to participate in this "cosplay idol" because 30 secounds doesnt give me much time to do much of anything and the whole thing sounds a bit stupid to me.....

Kia
03-14-2004, 05:26 PM
I checked out the website today and from everything that they *don't* have up on their site (do they EVER update that piece of junk?) it really sounds to me like it's just a contest where you walk up on stage, walk around a bit and show off your costume, act in character, maybe have a bit of music overhead or a little pre-recorded dialogue, and then get critiqued by the "judges".

And as amused as I would be to see someone (or many people for that matter) tell off the people being rude and disrespectful, I really don't think that swearing at them and being equally as rude will do much. Fighting fire with fire doesn't always work, especially with the types of people who act like that on a daily basis. I would suggest asking them to stop first, then get a little annoyed the second time you have to ask, and then get security to kick them out the third time they won't shut their mouths. I don't know... that would just me my approach. At least you wouldn't have other people say you were a disturbance as well and try to get you kicked out too. ^_^

rox_my_sox
03-14-2004, 05:55 PM
thats a good idea...never thought about getting kicked out....ya i think ill ask them nicely and then tell sercurity. and i dont think that i want to get into a fight cuz i wouldnt want to ruin my costume hehe. i think that i might just put on some music and walk on stage and such for 30 secounds, so i can show off my costume. I noticed that the web site says that the judges determine whether you go to the next stage depending on the applause, but it doesnt say any thing about what the secound stage will consist of...?

xiola
03-14-2004, 09:28 PM
I noticed that the web site says that the judges determine whether you go to the next stage depending on the applause, but it doesnt say any thing about what the secound stage will consist of...?

maybe the reason they're not telling us anything more is because the second stage just consists of the judges and 15 select males from the audience walking around you, checking out your boobs, and asking for sexual favours? (the person who manages to give the most blow jobs in a row will win the contest)

sorry, i'm being crude, aren't i? ;)

anyway, surprisingly i WILL be entering this farce of a cosplay event, and suffice it to say, our entry will be nothing more than tasteless sarcasm, in cosplay form XD (that's not to be confused with sarcasm-hime, the cosplayer ;P)

Decoy Sloth
03-14-2004, 10:11 PM
Having read the slew of comments and viewpoints on Cosplay Idol, I'm now facing an interesting dilemma.

When news of the event first hit, my friends and I reacted with the same disbelief and moral outrage as the prevailing sentiments seem to be around here. Our idea to counter this, however, has taken a different direction from the general agreement to boycott the pageant and reform/eliminate it from without.

We plan to enter Cosplay Idol in the spirit of parody, armed with both costumes and a presentation aimed to show an extremely tongue-in-cheek take on the concept of "popular" or "idol" cosplay. Our objectives are to both voice our disapproval of this event through satirical mockery and to soften any seriously destructive competetive spirit that it might instill in its participants and audience.

I realize that there are a number of drawbacks to this. Firstly, it suggests that since we are willing to contribute both time and money in order to attend Cosplay Idol specifically and the con in general, that we have either a serious intent to reform through criticism, or that we are stupid enough to spend money on something we disagree with. I'm sure I don't want to fall under the latter category. Secondly, staging a disruption such as this one has the potential to draw more of an audience response, which might be interpreted as contributing towards the dubious success of the event and the possibility of fueling another one. Lastly, I'm wary of making enemies with those individuals, administrative or otherwise, who lack the ability to take something like this with a grain of salt.

Hopefully by providing explanation and warning now, those of you who plan to attend Cosplay Idol will be able to share in our humour and understand our reasons, despite our pushing slightly the bounds of good taste. Here's to hoping it doesn't backfire.

I adhere firmly to the belief that a con is what you make of it, and this is just our way of having fun.

rox_my_sox
03-16-2004, 10:57 AM
maybe the reason they're not telling us anything more is because the second stage just consists of the judges and 15 select males from the audience walking around you, checking out your boobs, and asking for sexual favours? (the person who manages to give the most blow jobs in a row will win the contest)

sorry, i'm being crude, aren't i? ;)

anyway, surprisingly i WILL be entering this farce of a cosplay event, and suffice it to say, our entry will be nothing more than tasteless sarcasm, in cosplay form XD (that's not to be confused with sarcasm-hime, the cosplayer ;P)

thats horrible...but it kinda makes sense because thats what pretty much happens in beauty pagents and such. Most contests like this are rigged anyways...but i plan to enter anyways with the hope that it doesnt turn out like every other sexist, rigged, bull **** contest. ill hopefully be wearing my black rose costume if its done in time and hopefully they will be looking at the good job i will have done on the costume and not the fact that its not the most covering costume. I have/am going to put ALOT of work into it and i don't want people to think that judges would choose it cuz of its skimpyness, and i dont plan on doing any sexual favors. i think that its going to be very interesting to find out what happens.
P.S. If anyone recognizes me in my black rose costume then come and say hi and tell me that u saw my post on cosplay.com, and if you have an opinion on what i've posted then id love to hear it whether it be posative or negative.

Kia
03-16-2004, 01:34 PM
I have/am going to put ALOT of work into it and i don't want people to think that judges would choose it cuz of its skimpyness, and i dont plan on doing any sexual favors. i think that its going to be very interesting to find out what happens.

Just tell them your age. :D That should shut most of them up. And if that doesn't then tell them you'll have them arrested for trying to prostitue a minor (sorry, I can't think of the exact term I'm looking for, so this was the closest thing I could think of) . ^_^

im_sailor_moon
03-16-2004, 09:13 PM
me and my friends are entering as songstress rikku and yuna and kingdom hearts wakka but we have no clue what to do?!!? and also we know were not gonna be a big hit cuz well its probly the girl boy vote thing going on here but whatever we want to *TRY* to have fun but it is a hobby star con *shudders* WHAT THE HECK R WE GONNA DO ON STAGE FOR 30 SECKONDS?!!?@?!

rox_my_sox
03-16-2004, 09:47 PM
Just tell them your age. :D That should shut most of them up. And if that doesn't then tell them you'll have them arrested for trying to prostitue a minor (sorry, I can't think of the exact term I'm looking for, so this was the closest thing I could think of) . ^_^

hehe thats a good idea ^_^

rox_my_sox
03-16-2004, 09:53 PM
me and my friends are entering as songstress rikku and yuna and kingdom hearts wakka but we have no clue what to do?!!? and also we know were not gonna be a big hit cuz well its probly the girl boy vote thing going on here but whatever we want to *TRY* to have fun but it is a hobby star con *shudders* WHAT THE HECK R WE GONNA DO ON STAGE FOR 30 SECKONDS?!!?@?!

i agree that it shall be hard to figure out what to do but if someone gives u an idea posted to the public the someone else might steal your idea*beware of idea thiefs* i think that 30 secounds is rediculess. how is someone expcted to comeup with a good skit for 30 secounds of "air" time and to make it even more irritating u have to have prerecorded diologue, so that means you have to time how long your talking/what ever and make sure that its under 30 secounds. i wunder what they would do if one went over 30 secounds.....would they like just cut u aff and like close the curtains or something lol that would be kind of irritating to watch a half preformed skit.

Kaijugal
03-16-2004, 11:32 PM

Try not to worry about it too much. ^_^ Is this your first cosplay? I'd usually be happy to give you advice, but since I'm not sure what the format of this particular event is I'm shy to.

Just stay in character as much as possible. Practice your poses/body language. Make them second nature so you don't freeze when you get on stage. Practice! Practice! (I'm sure others here will attest to it's value.)
Most of all try and have fun. ^_^ Many of the people posting here will be at the event, and we generally have a good supportive community so I'm sure there will be some helpful words of advice and support on the day. :)

*nudges community* ;)

dani
03-16-2004, 11:39 PM
The sera-myu group I belong to wants us to go on stage and do a portion of a dance number. One that I have NEVER practised, and will learn that same day.

So if you see me on stage consider it the "comic relief" of the whole show....

Dani

Kia
03-17-2004, 10:34 AM
Walk on stage
Pose
Walk off

(insert "Wait for Judges comments somewhere in there)

~sora~
03-17-2004, 06:26 PM
http://userpic.livejournal.com/11006575/851012

i want to do (she bangs) in an upcoming con, Look for me!

rox_my_sox
03-17-2004, 09:05 PM
The sera-myu group I belong to wants us to go on stage and do a portion of a dance number. One that I have NEVER practised, and will learn that same day.

So if you see me on stage consider it the "comic relief" of the whole show....

Dani

a 30-45 secound dance...this should be interesting, but i hope u do well even if u r learning it for the first time hehe, I'll be cheering for you ^_^*feels like a lil fan girl* i am so totally going to be taking pictures. by the way if i walk up to u and start talking to you , im sorry if i seem odd/creepy/fan girlish, cuz i get so giddy when i go to a convntion.

Saffi
03-18-2004, 01:55 AM
altho i love entering into masq's and such, i'm definitely sitting this one out.

it just sounds like a recipe for disaster (but then so was Cats... and look how long that ran... :razz: )

i'll definitely be rooting for those who have the guts to enter!

tho i dunno if i'll be attending it... not sure if i'll pay admissions... especially after the disappointment of the Tac in november..

but yeah.. i'll be there too... I'll be a Team Rocket member till about 3 (still pondering whether or not to dye my hair fire engine red on friday...) and i'll be a character from a West End play named We Will Rock You after that... you'll see me cuz i'll have insane crazy dreads and braids in my hair *grin*

hope to see everyone there.. i'll definitely come over and say hi, if my shyness doesn't get the better of me again.... :sulk:

anywhoo.. see you guys in 2 days!

-saff

Spatx
03-18-2004, 08:45 AM
I'm still interested in how this event will turn out.. Plus I would like to support the cosplayers who do get out on stage.

And I will definitely root for you Dani. XD. Don't worry, If I decided to dance it would be so bad it wouldn't even be funny. Hehe.

I'm not sure if I'll pay or not yet - it all depends how they set up the con, and if the people I go with decide to pay. If they do - I may enter the Cosplay Idol and.. um.. pretend to sing a song? I can't think of anything to do by myself as Rasiel from Angel Sanctuary. o.O Haha, I can pretend to be the next Gackt. :D

rox_my_sox
03-18-2004, 09:54 AM
*HUGE PROBLEM* i was looking over the hobby star site about the convention and about when it starts and when its finished and about when cosplay idol starts and such so that i could make a day plan. I noticed that on the front page it said: Our convention takes place on Saturday and Sunday March 20th-21st, 2004, 11am to 6pm. We look forward to seeing you there!...........and then I looked at the cosplay idol information and I was looking for the time it started and it said: Cosplay Idol will take place on Saturday March 20th 2004 at 6:00 P.M..............If you look at both of those pieces of info it clearly says that on the hour that the convention ends (6:00pm) is the time that the cosplay idol starts. I think that the information is confusing and needs to be clarified. I am surprised that this had not come up before.

Kia
03-18-2004, 12:48 PM
*HUGE PROBLEM* i was looking over the hobby star site about the convention and about when it starts and when its finished and about when cosplay idol starts and such so that i could make a day plan. I noticed that on the front page it said: Our convention takes place on Saturday and Sunday March 20th-21st, 2004, 11am to 6pm. We look forward to seeing you there!...........and then I looked at the cosplay idol information and I was looking for the time it started and it said: Cosplay Idol will take place on Saturday March 20th 2004 at 6:00 P.M..............If you look at both of those pieces of info it clearly says that on the hour that the convention ends (6:00pm) is the time that the cosplay idol starts. I think that the information is confusing and needs to be clarified. I am surprised that this had not come up before.
Kim, it is tradition for the masquerade to start after the convention has officially ended for the day. This way all the people running other events or the people in the dealers room will be able to attend without having to worry about who is running their event. The masquerade is the focal point of the entire convention, so it would make sense for it to be as open and available to as many people as possible. Make sense?
Do you not remember the masq at Anime North not starting until something like 6pm or 7pm?

Anyways, just to clarify, I'm not saying that this Cosplay Idol thing is a masquerade, I'm just making the analogy to one.

BTW- I would love to support the people who participate in this contest, but it would probably require me to pay to get in. So unless I can sneak in there's pretty much no way I will be there.

xiola
03-18-2004, 02:37 PM
BTW- I would love to support the people who participate in this contest, but it would probably require me to pay to get in. So unless I can sneak in there's pretty much no way I will be there.

just do what we do at CNA - wait till the masquerade entrants are already lined up for the greenroom, because then they wont' have to use their entry passes anymore, find out where they are, and send one person from your group down to go find some people you know, and borrow their passes to get into the masq audience. if they have a problem with that, tell them "wouldn't they rather have people rooting for them in the audience?" - if the masq entrants DO happen to get in a situation where they ask for passes, the group can just say that they left all their things with their friend's bags so they wouldn't be carrying a load in their costumes, and accidentally left their passes in with that too "but our friends are in the audience so i can't go find them NOW... *;_;*" and i mean, really, if you're in your costume and already got this far are they going to be like 'no, no masq for you!'. ? :p

if you're lined up for the masq already, just send one person down while the rest hold your spot. it's not that hard to get into the greenroom, just make sure no one hears you and it's no problem - if they ask why you want to get in just think of a reason for why you need to get something from your friend (eg: i left my cel phone in her bag, i need to check if [blank] called me!)

then give the passes back after the masq and all is good.

Kia
03-18-2004, 02:48 PM
if you're lined up for the masq already, just send one person down while the rest hold your spot. it's not that hard to get into the greenroom, just make sure no one hears you and it's no problem - if they ask why you want to get in just think of a reason for why you need to get something from your friend (eg: i left my cel phone in her bag, i need to check if [blank] called me!)

then give the passes back after the masq and all is good.
You wouldn't happen to be volunteering your pass for the "Kia want's to watch" Fund, would you? :D

No, I jest, but thanks for the great idea. But if I get desperate you might just find someone tapping on your shoulder in the Green room. ^_^

rox_my_sox
03-18-2004, 03:53 PM
Kim, it is tradition for the masquerade to start after the convention has officially ended for the day. This way all the people running other events or the people in the dealers room will be able to attend without having to worry about who is running their event. The masquerade is the focal point of the entire convention, so it would make sense for it to be as open and available to as many people as possible. Make sense?
Do you not remember the masq at Anime North not starting until something like 6pm or 7pm?

Anyways, just to clarify, I'm not saying that this Cosplay Idol thing is a masquerade, I'm just making the analogy to one.

LMAO, i feel stupid. oh well. thanks for the reality check.

Kia
03-18-2004, 04:00 PM
LMAO, i feel stupid. oh well. thanks for the reality check.
That's okay. Everyone has to start out somewhere. The more conventions you attend the more you start to figure out about how they work. ^_^

im_sailor_moon
03-18-2004, 10:10 PM
lol thanks for the help its still so confusing .....i wish they would tell us what to do tho lol...

Kia
03-19-2004, 05:51 AM
I figure they think people either already know or know someone who can tell them. Besides, Hobbystar is pretty bad at ANY sort of instructions/directions.

Ryukka
03-19-2004, 12:53 PM
Hrmm, aren't they using stamps for this one? Thats what I was told >.>; *shoots things*

Kia
03-19-2004, 01:19 PM
I don't see how stamps would work for this one, considering you pay $20 for a two day pass, there are no one day passes... It will be interesting to see how this all works out.

Ryukka
03-19-2004, 09:39 PM
hmm never thought about that..

rox_my_sox
03-19-2004, 11:28 PM
well its tomarrow and i guess we shall se how things turn out

MizuZero
03-21-2004, 10:35 PM
...And turned out, they did.

Kisa
03-21-2004, 10:46 PM
In a rather amusing way.

lainey
03-22-2004, 07:43 AM
yeeeah but people still snuck in haha

Ninja Sensei
03-22-2004, 09:30 AM
So? How did it go?

Can anyone give a quickie report?

* finds other thread in forum *

Never mind ... found the TAC Comments thread. I must have had a senior moment.

Kia
03-22-2004, 09:59 AM
So? How did it go?

Can anyone give a quickie report?

* finds other thread in forum *

Never mind ... found the TAC Comments thread. I must have had a senior moment.
:: pats Gord on the head :: There there Sensei. There there. ^_^

Kisa
03-22-2004, 11:36 AM
Gord: Best Hobbystar event yet! XD
And coming from Me... that says something!

Ninja Sensei
03-22-2004, 03:32 PM
:: pats Gord on the head :: There there Sensei. There there. ^_^

* bows to Kia for showing proper respect for aged sensei *

;)

I am glad to hear that the Cosplay Idol show was mostly well-received.

Ninja Sensei
03-22-2004, 03:35 PM
Gord: Best Hobbystar event yet! XD
And coming from Me... that says something!

Wow!!!! :mfg: That IS saying something.

Now I'm especially sad that I didn't make it down. Not only did I miss the "best Hobbystar event yet!"

... but I didn't get a fix of my favourite angsty cutie-pie! ;)

Amy the Yu
03-24-2004, 06:56 PM
Wow!!!! :mfg: That IS saying something.

Now I'm especially sad that I didn't make it down. Not only did I miss the "best Hobbystar event yet!"

... but I didn't get a fix of my favourite angsty cutie-pie! ;)

TAC was pretty good, even if I only went for one day and I still had to play dead to keep Temari happy. The cosplaying was pretty cool, unlike the November TAC which was cosplay ass cause there were so few cosplayers.

You should have gone...everyone should have gone.

MizuZero
03-24-2004, 07:19 PM
http://cosplay.out-break.net/fullsize/mtac56.jpg

As was predicted, the event was pretty much judged by recognition factor and popularity, with technical merit being pushed aside. Two of the winners (Me and the drunken boxing guy) didn't even have a viable costume.

Kisa
03-25-2004, 01:37 AM
You missed the part about the costume that crushed it's own legs after falling apart trying to get on and off stage.

MizuZero
03-25-2004, 02:16 PM
You missed the part about the costume that crushed it's own legs after falling apart trying to get on and off stage.

All hail cardboard gundam.

Ryukka
03-25-2004, 06:05 PM
mmm cardboard *gnaws on the Gundam's foot*

Mage
03-25-2004, 06:27 PM
Dammit, Kisa! Thanks to you and Xio, I really want to see a video of the whole crushed-under-its-own-weight incident! >_<; This is all your fault. >_>;;;

*cough* On topic..umm...I'm glad everyone had fun. ^_^;;;

dani
03-25-2004, 06:41 PM
When I was on stage making a fool of myself I saw several people recording the event. It would be nice if those tapes ever show up :)

Dani

xiola
03-26-2004, 11:59 PM
mage: well they're not videos, and they're not the gundam, and it's whorish, but these amuse ME, in the meantime... stuff i didn't upload to my cosplay.com account yet (of course, i have bad taste. XD)

cosplay idol catches post-audition reactions:
http://mad-teaparty.net/cosplay/TAC04/04-TAC-xiolaTV.jpg

xio and kisa get into character:
http://mad-teaparty.net/cosplay/TAC04/04-TAC-xiolakisahos-m.jpg

meh...
http://mad-teaparty.net/cosplay/TAC04/04-TAC-xiolakisapretties.jpg

(notes: yes, ALL that tissue was in my bra >P. no, they didn't have an actual logo, i just faked it from the tv logos, obviously ;P)

i'd find some other stuff to post, but i can't exactly make insulting captions in public with photos of OTHER people ;PP

Saffi
03-27-2004, 12:07 AM
Those are awesome *cracks up laughing*

well done!

-saff

Amy the Yu
03-27-2004, 01:39 PM
That...was...disturbing...

I think you broke my brain, but I'm really bored, so no complaints. Still...dude...XD

Team_kibosh
04-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Back to the topic at hand, I think cosplay has become to commercial. Everyone is just trying to outdo each other. Whatever happened to the LOVE? Back in my day, we worked together on out costumes, on account our pants were needed for our troops in the war.