PDA

View Full Version : Props at Acen - what counts?

AuraAnchar
03-05-2004, 04:31 AM
Would Sesshomaru's tail-mane 'fluffly' count as a prop or part of the costume itself?

99Machsoul
03-05-2004, 11:40 PM
Would it stay pinned to the actual costume? Unless you take it off and carry it around I'd consider it a part of the costume.

I think of props as stuff like, say... swords, guns, stuffed pink bunnies, etc. Stuff that you carry with you.

XJhideSB
03-06-2004, 01:35 AM
Basically, if it is something that you carry around with you, and can block an exit and or trip someone in an emergency, then it would not be allowed. I think the tail would be fine though, as long as it it attatched to your costume.

AuraAnchar
03-06-2004, 10:20 PM
Okay thank you. The tail isn't pinned to the costume itself but it's never going to be carried seperately. I'm going to wear it the whole time.

jennekohan
03-06-2004, 11:07 PM
Costumes are not to extend more than six inches(6") from the wearer in any/all directions.

Honestly I don't think they will be able to keep up with all of their new rules. ^^; There have been so many Sesshoumaru cosplayers in the past (myself included) and I've never heard of them causing any trouble. If you're really worried you can e-mail them about it and ask, but if they ban your tail then there are going to be a lot of unhappy kitty girls and boys at ACen this year. ; o ;

Hilary
03-07-2004, 12:46 PM
I know! Almost every costume in Anime sticks out 6 inches from the body. Ambitious rule, if you ask me. Usually they let things slide, such as last year I saw several Seras Victorias prancing around with their cannons, which are obviously over 4 feet long. I left mine in the car for no reason, then. What will all the Anthys do if this rule in enforced? Their poofy skirts stick out waaaay more than 6 inches.

CapsuleCorp
03-07-2004, 09:45 PM
I would laugh SO hard if security actually walked around with rulers in their pockets measuring cosplayers. Do they have any idea how much 6 inches really is?

There are going to be a LOT of winged-costume people who'll be very upset, that's for sure. I hadn't thought about the tails, though, good point.

R1KKu
03-07-2004, 10:45 PM
Did they even have that rule last year? I saw plenty of large wing cosplayers flying around. And prop weapons...well I can say I saw a few Sephys with 6-7 ft swords. As long as your not flapping and swinging around, trying to hurt people on purpose, Im sure no one would bother you. I just hope they dont take my swords away.

..maybe Ill bring along a ruler just to spite you. hehehe.

jennekohan
03-07-2004, 11:12 PM
I didn't know about any of those rules until I actually got to ACen last year. They told my brother and myself that our Domo-kun was too large, but then allowed us to use it. Supposedly the new rules were inforced by the hotel, but the hotel said it was because of ACen. They gave us such a hard time about it and told us we could only use Domo-kun in the masquerade if we disassembled him right after we were done, yet on Sunday there was a giant No Face walking around that literally touched the celing. u_u; They had the 4 foot prop rule last year when people got to the con, but I don't think they had the 6 inches rule until now. If they really inforce those rules there are going to be a lot of unhappy people that might not want to go back.

XJhideSB
03-07-2004, 11:25 PM
The 6 inch rule is even worse than the prop rule. Although I don't think they are going to go around and measure your costume, I do believe that they will make you take it off if it is obviously larger than 6 inches. Such as a pair of wings of something like that. The main reason they have this crap is incase of a fire, which kind of makes sense, but is still a stupid rule.

Menchi
03-08-2004, 10:25 AM
they brought about the prop rule last year due to new sprinker heads in the hyatt, but was brought up rahter last minute for them by the hyatt. the 6" prop rule is a new one to me but all things being i woudnt make fun of the rule...woudnt epect them to come out with a tape measure an meaure 2500 costumes. but i think if your costume is cleary huge like say a mecha costume or something they may do soemthing if its a obvious issue. but ya never know how things go till it happens. ^^;; jus be mindful of con sec, ^_~

BlitzballMstr
03-08-2004, 05:17 PM
I would say as long as it isn't flying about and hitting people it should be okay, I think the 6inch and 4 foot rules are somehwhat based off of if the costume is effecting something like the flow of traffic or could possibly hurt someone ( A example may be: someone walking around as Legato BLuesummers with like foot long spikes. This couls be a problem if that person was not careful. (not to say that all people who play as legato cause trouble or anything just the first costume that came to mind. ^^)

CapsuleCorp
03-08-2004, 09:57 PM
Oh, yeah, I can understand and agree with the reasoning behind the rules, but there's got to be a much better means of balancing safety/personal comfort zones with people's cosplay dreams. That, or get a hotel with less narrow corridors!