PDA

View Full Version : Not exactly crossplay, but...

SpikesRose
03-05-2004, 09:29 PM
Okay, just a noob question:

If one were to take a male character and 'feminize' the costume (ie tigher, shorter, accentuating curves, basically making a girl's version of the character's costume) and not simply dress up like the male version, is that considered bad form among cosplayers, or is it accepted?

I'm considering Vincent Valentine for a costume and would prefer to dress it up a bit and make it girly, but I don't want to be laughed out of a con for making an unknowing booboo.

Thanks fer the help in advance!

topleka
03-05-2004, 09:40 PM
Of course not. There are a bunch of "femme" versions of male characters. It'll definitely be fine.

DJ_Izumi
03-27-2004, 05:53 PM
If one were to take a male character and 'feminize' the costume (ie tigher, shorter, accentuating curves, basically making a girl's version of the character's costume) and not simply dress up like the male version, is that considered bad form among cosplayers, or is it accepted?

A boy, dressed as an feminized male character...

Wanna guess how many times something like that happens in various yaoi manga's amongst my collection? :P

Karisu-sama
03-27-2004, 09:26 PM
It's usually girls in the cosplay world who dress up as feminized versions of male characters. :p

I don't see any reason it couldn't be done by a boy, though.

ArashiSakura
03-27-2004, 09:47 PM
I think it's fine. I think it's called genderswitch in yaoi.. Plus I think it's creative to design basically a new outfit for that character.

FromHerAshes
03-27-2004, 10:04 PM
I actually did just that this past Ushi-con. There's some pictures of me in the costume on the Ushi-con picture page here.

Myself and my best buddy (if you check out the picture, she's the Sephiroth) were not the only people there to do it either.

So I'd say it's fine.
And if you need any tips, just wanna chat or feel like commissioning/buying a Vincent cape, gimme an e-mail at fromherashes@yahoo.com.

Nine
03-28-2004, 12:40 PM
I will be making a male version of a female outfit, worn in a Para Para Paradise video by Miho. ^^d I would feel so stupid, and it wouldn't look very good to have me going up on stage in a mini skirt and tube top, when I'm trying to preform Para Para, but I wanted to make a outfit from the Para Para Paradise video series... so I just decided to design a male version of one of the costumes in that video series! :)