PDA

View Full Version : Questions about scars

RMK
03-07-2004, 01:36 AM
I'm in the process of tweaking my Yamcha costume (of DBZ fame). The current look for my scars is rather sad and I was wondering if anyone knew any sort of make-up or whatnot that would look realistic and also be safe to put near one's eyes, since Yamcha has a rather large one that goes from his brow to his cheek.

I had read somewhere that "Collodion" was good for scars since it shrank on contact with skin and stretched the surrounding tissue convincingly, but I have no idea if it's ok to put near one's eyes.

Anyone have any good ideas?

mikazuki
03-07-2004, 02:07 AM
Ben Nye does make a scar kit. You can probably get one at the local costume/party shop.

RMK
03-07-2004, 05:05 PM
Actually, I *was* looking at Ben Nye's stuff, but it didn't say anything about eye safety. This stuff has gotta be able to be applied to my eyelid.

shiroi_yukiko
03-07-2004, 10:07 PM
Don't put it on your eyelid! I can't remember where I read that, but it's not safe. I was looking for something I could put on my eye area a while back, and didn't come up with anything that was safe. You don't want to take any risks with your vision after all. ^^

Gren
03-08-2004, 01:24 AM
Why would you put dangerous stuff on your eyelid if your eyes are going to be open for all your pictures and such?

RMK
03-08-2004, 01:34 AM
That's just the point...I wanted something that wasn't going to be dangerous, just for accuracy. I know my eyes would be open, but I'm a stickler for detail, and if Yamcha's scar is actually over his eyelid, that's what I was going for.

Kokuu
03-08-2004, 02:16 AM
Well, as the scar is over your eyelid, you are really limited on your options. Most scars are created using latex or molding wax, and require an adhesive like spirit gum to attach it to the skin. DO NOT to use spirit gum near your eyes. Trust me, getting that stuff in your eyes, HURTS, so you do not want to risk it. Your best bet would be to use eye safe makeup, such as eyeliner and draw a scar on. There are makeup books that you could probably find at your local public library (There's this one really good old book, that I can't think of the name of at the moment, but I will check and see what it is called) that can show you how to effectivly create a scar using eye makeup. It won't look quite as good as if your were creating it from latex or wax, but don't mess around with your eyes.

kitsunered
03-08-2004, 11:23 AM
Most scars that cross eyes (like you see in the movies) are a combination of a latex prosthetic and makeup. Spirit gum is used to attach the prosthetic, but since the prosthetic itself is generally a good bit larger than the eye, the spirit gum never comes in contact with the eye itself.

It's possible to get liquid latext from theater stores and make your own prosthetics, but it can be time consuming and difficult if you don't know what you're doing. If you'd like to learn, however, sometimes employees at the theater stores will be willing to teach you, or there are a few books out there on how to create your own prosthetics.

As for rigid collodium, although it's one of the best things with which to apply scars, it actually pulls your skin, so if it was over your eye, you would likely be in danger of having your eyeball dry out. Your lids are there to protect your eye from the air, as well as maintain moisture, so it's probably not a good idea to mess with them. :)

Another suggestion which I haven't seen anyone make so far, is to make the scar go across your browbone and stop just before your eyelid, then continue below it in a connecting line. Trust me, no one can tell it doesn't go all the way through when your eye is open.

-Kits

ZiggyB
03-08-2004, 06:00 PM
Try checking out the Cosplay.com FAQ (http://www.cosplay.com/faq.php). There's a few threads linked there about how to make all kinds of scars.

KusanIvy
03-08-2004, 06:17 PM
I just checked several of the SFX make-up books I have. In each one if there was a scar needed that ran over or very near the eye it was done with a prosthetic eye or a latex appliance.

I think Kits idea sounds like a good way to go. You could use eye make-up to draw in the scar over your actual lid and then use collidon (or another scar-making technique) to continue the scar below and above your eye.

RMK
03-08-2004, 06:34 PM
Wow, thanks everyone. I didn't expect there to be such a good turnout of helpful people. I really do appreciate it. ^^

I think I'll go with the collodion/make-up hybrid method. Now, all that's left is for me to figure out just how close I can get with the collodion.....dangerous waters indeed.

RoboGundam6
03-09-2004, 04:21 PM
I use lip liner (yes lip liner) thats the color of a scar and apply it. Since you put it on your face area anyway, its safe I suppose....well if you don't jab it in your eye! (Plz don't do that.)

Lip liner is thin enough to make thin scars & can be added in more to make big scars. Thats what i used for my Halloween pirate costume. Not on my lips but on my face ^^;.

Kokuu
03-18-2004, 10:21 PM
I went to this makeup workshop last weekend, and I found out about this new product called RCMA scarring gel. It's similiar to a scarring wax except it's like a putty, and it's resuable. It's about $25 for about 3 oz. And the thing is (I made sure to ask) it IS safe to use around the eye. I've never actually used this product myself, but the instructor seemed to be really excited about it. So I'll take his word that it works well.

Also, Cinema Secrets makes this product called an "injury" stack that gives you more realistic looking colors for "injuries" then normal makeup. This stuff is really cool and it's pretty cheap- around $7 for four colors. Sometimes I show up at school with random "injuries" to see what kind of reaction I'll get. XD So you could maybe try playing around with the colors to try and get a realistic scar. And this makeup is eye safe too... That I have tried for myself.

http://store.cinemasecretsonline.com/halloweenfx-cr-me-colors-stacks.html

Genki Panda
03-19-2004, 05:34 AM
Little more info about the rigid collodian(sp?)... the fumes from this really make your eyes burn badly. Even if it's a few inches away. So yeah, listen to those people that said don't put this on your eyelid.

By the way... it obviously stops burning after it dries and is set ^_^. Otherwise I wouldn't even bother with it, lol! Irriatated eyes aren't fun at all... and are even worse with contacts X_X...

Oh, and a tip to make a rigid collodian scar stand out more... colour it with stage makeup slightly. A deep purple is good for adding just a touch of shadow to it to make it look older... and red is good for making the scar look fresher. Just not too heavy, though ^^;;. Heaviness is for stage under bright hot stage lights, lol!

That new stuff sounds neat... I'll have to ask my old makeup prof if he's ever heard of it/used it before...

Anywho, sorry I'm not much help... ^_^;;.

*huggles*

Love,
Genki

RMK
03-21-2004, 08:43 PM
Wow, Kokuu, you remembered about my question? Thank you very much for your help. ^^ I'm amazed you went out of your way for someone you didn't know. Very refreshing. I'll check out the link you sent.

Oh and Genki, thanks for the tip about making scars look old, not fresh. Yamcha's scars are rather aged after all.

Kokuu
03-22-2004, 01:48 AM
Oh no problem! It's a good thing in general to know which products are safe to use around the eye. I think the instructor got a bit annoyed though, when I asked if just about every product was safe for use around the eyes. >.< Kept getting "no" until the RCMA scarring gel.

Schwarzwald
03-22-2004, 02:50 PM
It's rather good to see that some people know what they're talking about. Sorry, I should rephrase that, it's good to see people here know make-up techniques that have been outdated and useless to anyone but cosplayers for years. Collodion is nice, sure, but it's rigid, that is it's downfall. When your face moves, it doesn't, that causes it to break and look horrible. Gelatin is nothing new either, it has been in use for years, it's tricky to work with. A giant downfall of gelatin is that it melts. You can put addatives in it, or buy it with addatives to keep it from doing that, but that makes it even more tempermental. Oh, back to collodion, it leaves marks and it tricky to remove for some people. The burning eye sensation comes from the ether in it, and never try to remove it with alchohol... you're better off trying to shave it off with a straight razor.

I see a few people were on the right track with semi good suggestions on doing a scar. An appliance is prefered, because then it will look the same every time you use it, at least in film it would be prefered. But you don't want to be making or using a slush latex apliance, they're not so good. You want to use something that's foam or silicone. I'm not gonna get into how to make those and I imagine you won't be able to find a place online that sells them in the shapes you need.

My suggestion to you? Well, this comes straight from someone I know, so I can't take credit for it myself... ca+pa. You apply it with a syringe in a line or whatever shape you need, give it a second to dry and start blending the edges into your skin. It'll be a little hard to remove, which is good and bad. You don't want to apply po over your eye either, but I think the eyelid scar is silly, nobody will notice. It would be hard to scar an eyelid like that without damaging the eye beyond repair, and to the best of my recollection yamcha isn't blind in that eye. Seriously, think of how thin your eyelid is, and then think of how deep those scars on his face are.... if it got that deep on his lid it would puncture through to his eye. Any less deep and it probably wouldn't be too visible, so you can just bypass it in my professional oppinion. Of course the CA+PA method won't look the same every time you do it, but it's the best effect you'll get for a short time limit, and it'll be near indestructable.

KakashisAngel
03-23-2004, 10:01 AM
ok i am gping to be cosplaying as kakashi from naruto.can you tell me where to get the makeup for his scar and droppy like eye?

ChicoChan
03-24-2004, 11:55 AM
you could always take a knife and give yourself a real scar :D??
I KID I KID!!
don't do that X_x......

-Nayami-
03-24-2004, 03:13 PM
I've used the Cinema Secrets Injury Stack, and the results from that have been satisfactory. When I was first practicing my scarring technique, I tried to get people's reactions from seeing it--and all the reactions were quite humorous, especially depending on where I placed the scar. I would usually apply this over liquid latex.

Yeah, I don't know about putting a scar over your eyelid. I think its running a little bit too much of a risk there. Plus, even if it doesn't hurt the eye, there's the possibility that it'd rub off or smear because of the blinking, no?

KakashisAngel
03-24-2004, 04:33 PM
emmm i was thining of useing lip liner it seems to work for me.*nods*i have the color of his scar in lipliner form.anyhow thanx

Kokuu
03-25-2004, 06:28 AM
Yeah, I don't know about putting a scar over your eyelid. I think its running a little bit too much of a risk there. Plus, even if it doesn't hurt the eye, there's the possibility that it'd rub off or smear because of the blinking, no?

If you use translucent powder over the face paint, it shouldn't smear. The trick is not to "fluff" the powder like most girls typically do when they apply beauty makeup, but to press the powder in to the makeup. Apply powder onto a powder puff, and rub it into the powder puff. Then gently press, with a slight twist where the makeup is.

KakashisAngel
03-26-2004, 09:45 AM
ok i just got scar and nose wax will that work for kakashi's scar?

Wolf Warrior
04-08-2004, 03:40 AM
RMK, take it from a guy who has cosplayed as Yamcha for years. Use one of those eye-liner pencil things (with a brownish-red color) for the scars. It's simple to use and looks pretty real. aply it on and run your finger on the scar (from the center to the ends) very gently so that the scar slightly blends with your skin and and the ends of the scar slightly disapears. It also stays on for a long while! I remember one of the conventions I went to, it was the last day and I was wearing my regular clothes but I still had the scars on. I was talking to a girl I met and some time in the conversation she asked me what could have happened to me to get scars. ...I still smile about that. .....anyway... Give it a shot, pal. P.S. In the begining Akira Toriyama drew Yamcha with the scar right over his eye lid, but later on in Dragonball Z he corrects this and stops drawing the scar over the lid. It starts on the forehead, runs down and stops at the brow. Then starts again under the eye and half way down the cheek. / x

Wolf Warrior
04-08-2004, 03:41 AM
RMK, take it from a guy who has cosplayed as Yamcha for years. Use one of those eye-liner pencil things (with a brownish-red color) for the scars. It's simple to use and looks pretty real. aply it on and run your finger on the scar (from the center to the ends) very gently so that the scar slightly blends with your skin and and the ends of the scar slightly disapears. It also stays on for a long while! I remember one of the conventions I went to, it was the last day and I was wearing my regular clothes but I still had the scars on. I was talking to a girl I met and some time in the conversation she asked me what could have happened to me to get scars. ...I still smile about that. .....anyway... Give it a shot, pal. P.S. In the begining Akira Toriyama drew Yamcha with the scar right over his eye lid, but later on in Dragonball Z he corrects this and stops drawing the scar over the lid. It starts on the forehead, runs down and stops at the brow. Then starts again under the eye and half way down the cheek. / x

KakashisAngel
04-10-2004, 04:27 PM
and what about kakashi's scar?

EKYO
04-11-2004, 12:50 AM
I needed to find a way to make a scar safely near my eye, too. So, I visited a local costume shop and one of the employees told me I could make realistic scar with liquid latex and some tissue paper. She had given me directions on how to do that, but I lost them. ^^; So, I found this!

Materials: Hot glue gun, wax paper, and other accesories you decide to use. (wax paper can be replaced with tissue if nessesary)

01) Make a line across wax paper with glue gun and let cool.

02) Cut around the glue scar, making sure to leave some wax paper around scar to later be used as base for prostetic.

03) Apply to face, neck, etc., using either Spirit Gum or Liquid Latex. (I prefer to use latex since spirit gum is somewhat hard to work with on wax paper.)

04) Then, carefully use make-up to conceal.

(Taken from this site (http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Lot/9373/SCREAM/mkpsimpl.html).)

I tried it out and it worked pretty well for me, but I don't have any pictures of my results. XD; I forgot to take pictures. :B

xie-chan
05-20-2004, 02:24 PM
sorry for revivifying this thread. I've read through it and it's given me pause for thought.

I realise what everyone has said about certain types being bad because of eye irritation and how it shouldn't matter the eyelid because the eye will be open in photos.

However, how realistic do things like eyeliner look if the character IS blind in that eye and the eye WILL be closed in pictures?

I usually try to figure out these things myself, but it never hurts to ask for help.