PDA

View Full Version : Makeup Question for the Guys

Leon
03-07-2004, 01:48 PM
This may sound a little odd, but while in costume, do you wear makeup, knowing that you'll be photographed? Not necessarily costume make up (To, say, cosplay as a character with blue skin) or crossplay, but like you would stage makeup, or to make yourself camera-ready. If so, then what do you use?

Volksen
03-08-2004, 03:25 AM
I always wear makeup no matter the costume. It helps with pictures and will also help if you are on stage. Most of the time it is just foundation and powder. For my Cloud costume I cannot wear contacts so I just apply blue eyeshadow. You can also use tinted chapstick to redden up your lips if they are too light. All my foundation and powder are Ben Nye products and usually my lipstick, eyeshadow and eyeliners come from the local drug store.

Sarcasm-hime
03-08-2004, 12:31 PM
Guys on TV and movies wear makeup....it really helps when you're being photographed. Get some foundation and concealer to even out your skin tone, at the very least.

HuongStar
03-08-2004, 02:25 PM
This may sound a little odd, but while in costume, do you wear makeup, knowing that you'll be photographed? Not necessarily costume make up (To, say, cosplay as a character with blue skin) or crossplay, but like you would stage makeup, or to make yourself camera-ready. If so, then what do you use?

(You don't have to use the exact products I mentioned; there are plenty of suitable alternatives.)

You'll find that men can mostly use the same products & techniques as women. When I apprenticed with a studio photographer, I had to give some of the men a natural but polished look.

Start out with a skin perfector like Idealist (http://www.esteelauder.com/templates/products/sp_nonshaded.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY5860&PRODUCT_ID=PROD1679) to fill in pores, minimize oil (men tend to have larger pores & more oily skin than women), and reduce blotchiness/redness. Afterwards, use a moisturizer with light reflectors (http://www.revlon.com/product.asp?ProductID=6237&Mode=brand) to even out the skin tone without "masking" the face. Follow it up with some eye cream if necessary.

After your skin is properly prepped and moisturized, you can add some subtle "color" with an easy-to-use gel bronzer (http://www.clinique.com/templates/products/sp_nonshaded.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY4908&PRODUCT_ID=PROD505). If you still need a healthy flush (think of how you look after a workout), use a tiny bit of gel/liquid blush (http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P1272) on where you naturally flush (nose, cheeks, chin, and forehead). I only recommend gel & liquids because the color looks much more natural and transparent, as though it's coming from within and not caked on top of your skin.

If you have blemishes and/or undereye circles, apply a yellow-based, oil-free creme concealer with a concealer brush sparingly to the corresponding areas and blend well. Skip the powder & foundation.

Shape your brows accordingly and lightly fill any sparse spots with brow powder (pencils look too harsh); set into place with a clear mascara. Eyedrops always help as does curling the eyelashes to achieve a bright-eyed appearance. If you have dark eyelids, use a matte skintone eyeshadow, applied from the lash base to the eyebrow and blend with your fingertips. I've used a white eyeliner to brighten the inside rim of the lower eyelid but forgo eyeliner unless your character calls for it. Clear mascara can be used for eyelash definition if necessary.

If your lips are chapped, buff them lightly with a wet toothbrush and then apply clear lipbalm; they do make matte moisturizing lip balm for men.

I think I may have some before and after test shots to post....

HuongStar
03-10-2004, 10:26 AM
Actually, most guys don't need to fill in their eyebrows unless they're like Stallone sparse. X_x

archangeli
03-10-2004, 08:42 PM
Considering the situations at conventions...

- fluorescent lighting
- usually "yellowish" lighting
- some outdoors areas

You would want to invest in AT LEAST some concealer and a translucent powder to even out your skin tone. This way you will look consistent in all your photos (low light, outdoors, flash photos :) )

If you want to diva it up a bit, HuongStar's instructions are awesome for anyone ;)