PDA

View Full Version : BlizzCon 2013 is announced!

dbchan
02-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Yay!

http://us.battle.net/blizzcon/en/blog/8713023/BlizzCon_2013_Storms_Anaheim_November_8-9-2_19_2013

Shaylyn
02-20-2013, 12:33 AM
Ahhhh! SO excited! I'm redoing T3 human warrior with the arena shield and sword. Can't wait!

Aerlyn
02-20-2013, 03:52 PM
Hotel room has been booked. Will be staying at the Hilton right by the convention center this year. I'll see you guys there!

moldycheese
02-21-2013, 12:28 PM
I plan on going!!!! And starting earlier this year on a costume so I don't pull a 2011 again =(

cowsrcute
02-21-2013, 12:36 PM
Ooo, I really wanna go for years now. It will be my first time. Are tickets really as hard to get as people say they are?

Aerlyn
02-21-2013, 12:48 PM
Tickets aren't too difficult to get. If you don't get them in the initial release, a lot of people sell their extras on eBay. You can even get them below cost if you hit it right. The initial release is okay if you have a good Internet connection speed; we've done it with no issues 2010 and 2011.

Rumor mill, too, says they're going to increase the number of tickets sold by 30k or something. I wouldn't worry about it.

cowsrcute
02-21-2013, 01:50 PM
Alrighty, thank you. =) I was so scared I never tried the past years.

Reformed Tomboy
02-21-2013, 07:45 PM
I'll be there! Really on the fence this year about a costume. I know what I want to do, and even have a back-up plan, but I've been stalling committing to either. Probably because I'm planning on going in over my head, again. As per usual. At least it's in November! That'll buy me more time to decide hehehe

Aerlyn
02-21-2013, 08:02 PM
What are you thinking of doing? Your costumes look great so, either way, I'm sure it'll look great.

Shaylyn
02-22-2013, 12:28 AM
I'm so glad it's November too, Reformed :) Even though it's only a few weeks farther out it feels like a huge difference.

LalaFTL
02-22-2013, 11:23 AM
See you guys there! Got MAD PLANS! Woo.

Reformed Tomboy
02-22-2013, 05:11 PM
What are you thinking of doing? Your costumes look great so, either way, I'm sure it'll look great.

Thinking about doing a Wizard from D3.

Syrinx
02-23-2013, 10:32 AM
i hope i'm able to go this year! i had a great time back in 2010! now... to pick a costume :)

Kyleia
02-23-2013, 01:48 PM
Super excited. Kinda down on myself that I didn't start earlier on the costume because I was pretty solid on the idea, but I have to start booking now if I expect to get it done in time. My project today is to see if I can figure out what the model of the weapon is my character is holding, I'm pretty sure it exists elsewhere in game.

StRoughNeck
02-26-2013, 02:39 PM
I'm super stoked! I've had enough watching it Direct TV style, I think its about time I go! Just need to settle on a costume!
@Aerlyn, or anyone really :), Do you have any idea how fast the hotel rooms get booked? I would book now, but a different convention has hotel priority at the moment.

Aerlyn
02-26-2013, 03:29 PM
Hotels usually fill up pretty quickly. If you want to stay in the hotel right next to the convention center, I would reserve a room now. If not, you can probably wait until the tickets are released. Either way, the earlier the better. I don't believe it costs anything to reserve a room, too.

Caeron
02-26-2013, 11:13 PM
I would love to go for the first time this year. I plan to have my Tier 2 Druid done for a local con in April, so it would be easy to just stick with that. Now to convince someone to come down with me :)

ProjectMatrix
03-01-2013, 08:54 AM
I should reserve a room 0.0 so excited that this gives me more chance to work on kerrigan! Money has been so tight it's been difficult to work on her. But that'll change soon and I'm having my helper move in so that'll speed things up! Glad it's going to be cooler, I was really worried about heat in kerrigan :( don't wanna pass out

Pyoska
03-05-2013, 02:24 PM
Woot!

Hoping I'm going to be able to go this year, since I had to forego it in 2011 due to deployment. I've got a few ideas, but I'm still not sure what I'm going to try. I'm thinking either Freya or Adarrah . Freya would be more complex (whereas Adarrah would be crazy simple in comparison.) We will see. :)

Also, are t here any plans for a theme cosplay for day 2 yet? I haven't seen anything.

Cheers!

ProjectMatrix
03-08-2013, 01:04 PM
No one has an idea for day 2? Formal? Steampunk? Burlesque again? Zombie versions? Asian fusion/kimono versions? Anything?

Aerlyn
03-08-2013, 10:34 PM
Well, I was thinking of doing a tuskarr on vacation. Hawaiian shirt, khaki shorts, flip flops, that sort of thing.

Reformed Tomboy
03-11-2013, 01:08 PM
No one has an idea for day 2? Formal? Steampunk? Burlesque again? Zombie versions? Asian fusion/kimono versions? Anything?

I think most of the discussions for day 2 moved to facebook when everyone made pages (and/or groups). Mine was deleted, and I've yet to make a new one and get back in the loop. I just don't have the energy to go two days in costume anyway, so I haven't kept up on any discussions. Last I heard, someone was trying to put together a "level 1" group of the races/classes in their starter gear. But that was a while ago, so I have no idea if it got off the ground.

LalaFTL
03-14-2013, 02:57 PM
We currently have 2 different Day 2 groups going:
Low-level WoW characters
Companion pets

https://www.facebook.com/groups/210233372327722/
Facebook group if you guys haven't joined yet. :)
There should be lists for all the groups on there because my OCD dictates such things.

PS - Burning Crusade Club still looking for more members this year... >_>

ProjectMatrix
03-14-2013, 03:48 PM
It sounds crazy but my other half is a little upset that he can't cosplay on day 1 on account of being my kerrigan handler. We may make two diablo costumes as well. Probably archangel auriel (hope) and archangel malthael (wisdom). He really want to make those wings. This would be the first time I cosplayed on all the days of the convention 0.0 I hope we have the funds to pull it off

Shaylyn
03-18-2013, 08:28 PM
PS - Burning Crusade Club still looking for more members this year... >_>

I'm not noticeably Burning Crusade, but if I remember correctly arena season 3 was BC! I'm excited to see your costume, your post ops are so cool

Also, I just booked a hotel to get dressed in (lol I live 20 minutes from the center)! It's at this little hotel called the Eden Roc. I stayed there before, it's low quality but it's spitting distance from the convention center and it's $55 a night so works for me ^_^ Blizzcon feels real now!

RedeadDie
04-02-2013, 12:10 AM
I really wish I can attend this year, but I already laid out my money to continue on my Varian cosplay. Not to mention, I'm saving for a large new project for myself and a guildie. We want to attend Blizzcon 2014 as Thasarian and Koltira and if you know the DK armor, it's gonna be a challenge.

I really hope to see pics of everyone's epic cosplays for this year though! Good luck with all your work!

winterdream28
04-02-2013, 01:59 PM
https://www.facebook.com/groups/210233372327722/
Facebook group if you guys haven't joined yet. :)

Are very new folks welcome to the FB page? This will be my first yea attempting to cosplay:)

ProjectMatrix
04-04-2013, 06:13 PM
The date for the tickets announced!!!!! WEDNESDAY APRIL 24th at 7 pm PDT and SATURDAY APRIL 27th at 10 am PDT!!!!!!!!! $175 again this year

Fireshark
04-23-2013, 11:34 PM
Good luck to everyone on the first ticket camping session!! :) :)

ProjectMatrix
04-24-2013, 06:39 PM
i'm so nervous!!!!

ProjectMatrix
04-24-2013, 10:26 PM
So sad.....i was #9000 as soon as I got in the que right on time. I thought there were like 20,000 of these things. I don't know, should I be freaking out and crying right about now?

Fireshark
04-24-2013, 10:43 PM
So sad.....i was #9000 as soon as I got in the que right on time. I thought there were like 20,000 of these things. I don't know, should I be freaking out and crying right about now?
Don't cry yet; try again on Saturday!!
People may have already given the advice on how to get them, but this was our method:

3 of us camped (for 3 tickets), spamming f5 (refresh) on the page at about 6:58. Don't change quantity on that screen, just click the button to buy the instant it appears.
Later, after the queue, in the orange box "Change Quantity" on the right just before you confirm purchase in the process, you can change the amount to the ticket # you need.

I hope this helps somebody.

Irarenovo
04-25-2013, 06:57 PM
I GOT MY TICKETS TOOO!!! so exciting!! :D

general tips... my BF got about 1000 and I got about 2600 in que...

1) have good internet connection-- we have fios at home, if you or one of your friends has it, recruit them to help! also SHUT DOWN ANY PROGRAMS USING THE INTERNETS!! you dont want any slowness!!

2) Use a fast browser! I use google chrome with no crazy addons!!

3) use CTRL-F5 for a complete refresh! normal F5 might not cut it!

4) The image to order will be right where the "not currently available" message is... position your mouse there and DO NOT PICK QUANTITY! do it later!

In other news............... I have no idea what my cosplay will be...... :\ I want something elaborate for the cosplay contest, but I live in NY so it has to be small enough to pack or ship :\ my current thoughts are inflatable baneling or pandaren mage/priest D: but I wont start it until july.

ProjectMatrix
04-27-2013, 01:22 PM
Thanks soooo much for the tips guys! thanks to that, I got my tickets! Myself and my better half will be attending Blizzcon this year! Such a dream come true to meet all of yall (I'm from Texas, saying yall is a habit) ! My heart nearly sunk when I realized I didn't have my credit card on me, so I ran outside in my PJs to get it out of my car! lolz, I must have looked like a crazy person. See yall at the show

Pyoska
04-27-2013, 01:30 PM
Woot! My husband and I got our tickets, too!!!! Gonna start working on our cosplays soon, prepare to be bombed by pics! Can't wait to see you all there!!!!

Psycho Sukafu
04-27-2013, 01:31 PM
Well that was disappointing. Got in at 6000 and missed. My counter when up at one point. Sigh~

PS Did anyone have there counter jump up? At one point I was at 3000 or so but then went back up to 4600. Very annoying.

Aerlyn
04-27-2013, 06:43 PM
My husband and I got our tickets today! Can't wait to go. We're going to try for the charity dinner on Thursday night. Anyone else thinking about going?

ProjectMatrix
07-23-2013, 01:53 PM
So now that the costume contest rules are up, I'm a little worried about size requirement...no wider than 4 feet, I wonder what that means for my wings D: glad I haven't made them yet but I wonder if I'd be disqualified if I opened them on stage then retracted them before I exited the stage

Shaylyn
07-23-2013, 07:41 PM
As long as they can naturally fold back down to under 4 feet wide they're allowed! :)

Irarenovo
07-27-2013, 07:47 AM
yeah I was leaning toward baneling when I saw STAIRS ... my heart weeps but I might try it anyway. -.-; as long as I can lift my costume I could do stairs... I was planning on getting into it that way anyway...... but that also means smaller legs.. hmmmmmmm crap :(

Aerlyn
07-27-2013, 10:08 AM
I'm concerned about the stairs as well. I know I can manage them with my suit but I would feel way more comfortable with handrails going up. Also, I wonder if they're going to add a rail to the bottom of ramp where it turns so we don't have a repeat of mine craft paladin.

Safety first!

Irarenovo
07-27-2013, 11:58 AM
yeah with my moonkin i could see my feet thru the hole in the mouth... with baneling i was going to make the bottom completely open so I could see everything.

just taped out the dimensions on the floor, I think I could do 2ft wide with 1 ft legs and not look stupid >_>

When I saw you could enter the same costume again I was almost tempted to re-do moonkin.. but idk.

that 4ft rule though... I almost hope they change it to 5.. I'm just thinking about the SHOULDERS on the WoW cosplays... making it proportional will already break that rule I think... hope there's no orc cosplay this year! X_x

ProjectMatrix
07-27-2013, 12:25 PM
Honestly I wish they would just go back to a FLAT stage. Have a flat stage, people come out 3 at a time one stage left, one center, and one stage right, have them cycle through each of the spots to give the cosplayer a chance to calm down so they don't come on and run off stage, gives photographers plenty of chance to take pictures of them and just announce the person in the center. And even the three at a time isn't necessary, just when done right works really well. I feel so bad when I see people struggle with the ramp/stairs and there is nothing they could have done to their costume to help, it's just the nature of the design.

Irarenovo
07-27-2013, 02:36 PM
true. I didnt see the point of having that small ramp to go down right when you came out.. everyone had to watch their step! kind of kills the aura when everyone leans over to look ahead haha. I kind of wish they had better direction too.. I didnt realize I should wave at that final camera :0 i was trying to find the dark cave to go back in lol

Eurobeat King
07-27-2013, 02:43 PM
Heh I made a thread in the "Others" Convention section a while back ;)

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=314689

I got my ticket, my hotel, and Megabus tickets to/from San Francisco to LA for $1 each way! :D

It'll be my first time there, so I'm really excited! What a way to end my 2013 year of conventions!

Aerlyn
07-27-2013, 02:44 PM
A flat stage would be amazing but it's not like blizzard can do. They don't own the convention center. I'm sure the ramped stage is more aesthetically pleasing to the convention center but still.

I'm okay with stairs but get really nervous when it comes to the floor just dropping out at the turn of the ramp. Watched the guy fall and have nightmares of that happening to me, too. If anything, they could just have an employee at the end of the ramp making sure people know where to turn.

Irarenovo
07-27-2013, 08:17 PM
honestly the ramp really wasnt that hard to see, that pally was in full out cardboard so he probably wasnt able to look down at all. they also allowed handlers to go on stage if needed to assist with walking[aka ragnaros]

ProjectMatrix
07-28-2013, 08:01 PM
From the looks of things they are trying to keep that from happening. They seem to be moving away from having handlers on stage to assist with the difficult to walk in costumes, such as those poor female protoss/dranei. I get where they are coming from with those costumes but honestly don't "exclude" 2 whole races from the contest if they can't walk down a steep ramp in 6 inch stilts...

Aerlyn
07-30-2013, 11:50 AM
Is the costume contest sign up like the ticket queue? As in insta-sold out or is it pretty easy to sign up? Do they have you fill stuff out at that time?

Reformed Tomboy
07-30-2013, 10:37 PM
I'd do it asap, but no, it's not like the ticket sales. They ask for your name, b.net email, and a short description of what your costume will be.

ProjectMatrix
08-02-2013, 01:22 PM
is the description what they announce?

Shaylyn
08-02-2013, 09:55 PM
Last Blizzcon I participated in, they asked you how you wanted to be announced when you checked in earlier in the day.

Reformed Tomboy
08-03-2013, 09:37 PM
is the description what they announce?

No, at check in at the con, they give you a card to fill out with what you want announced. But they didn't read the card I gave them in '10, so I have no idea how they actually decide it.

Shaylyn
08-05-2013, 04:23 PM
Contest sign ups were pushed back until tomorrow! The rules say 12:01 pm PST!

ProjectMatrix
08-06-2013, 03:08 PM
Naturally, waiting to sign up and they are late, they say it's open but the page still says coming soon... :(

EDIT: finally got signed up! Best of luck everyone! can't wait to see you there!

Aerlyn
08-06-2013, 03:29 PM
Do they generally send you a separate you made it to the contest email or is it just the confirmation of your submission?

ProjectMatrix
08-06-2013, 04:05 PM
I just got a confirmation of my submission

ProjectMatrix
10-10-2013, 12:25 PM
I have a question for you guys...I ordered some contacts online for my kerrigan costume and when i got them in they didn't fit right. I knew my base curve was different because I have regular contacts. My question is do you think I would be burned at the stake if I just had my blue eyes instead of kerrigans purple ones? no one sells contacts under $200 a pop with my base curve, but I would really like to not be criticized for something so small.

Aerlyn
10-10-2013, 12:54 PM
I think blue would be close enough. Honestly, I don't think anyone would really notice even though it might bug you.

Out of curiosity, how different was your base curve amount? I bought some pretty green ones that just came in with a base curve of 8.6 but my actual contacts are 8.4.

ProjectMatrix
10-10-2013, 11:08 PM
My base is 8.3 and when I put them in they didn't feel right. Kinda like how you feel when there is like an eyelash on your contact when you put it in. Just physically uncomfortable. At least I won't have to walk around blind now. Prescriptions is like +3.45 and no one sells in the + prescription online unless insanely expensive.

fenix96130
10-22-2013, 03:34 AM
I'm looking forward to Diablo3's expansion pack, it is said it will be available on PS4!

Idmaif
10-24-2013, 02:56 AM
I noticed that the costume entries are closed online... does anyone know if you could still possibly get let in if you talked to the help desk while there? i think that might have worked a few years ago

ProjectMatrix
10-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Imadif there is already a wait list but I believe you can go sign in where the contestants and wait listers go. If there are openings then u could get in if all the wait listed people in front of u get in too.

Irarenovo
10-27-2013, 03:06 PM
Did anyone get a response about getting into the contest yet??

finishing up my baneling today so I can ship it this week.....

project, i would loooooove to get a picture with you!! and any other kerrigans i can find D: maybe I can find a tasty terran...

random question-- do any of you guys live in cali?? the ONE thing I am missing, that I would love for my costume.. is a small battery operated fan that is not too loud. They dont sell them anymore in NY and the one I have right now sounds like a motor boat LOL I'm hoping I could find one at target when I get there Wednesday. Or I might try to order one online and hope it gets to me before I leave :\