PDA

View Full Version : How much $ do you plan to spend at AN?

Lil
03-09-2004, 12:51 PM
A bunch of my freinds are going, and I'm considering going to A North. But... they keep saying it isn't that expensive and not giving me any dollar amounts. How much $ depends on if I'm going or not, So I figure it'd give me a better idea on how much I'll spend if every one shares how much they are spending on hotel/food/dealers room. Thanks for helping!

Minakolabelle
03-09-2004, 01:08 PM
umm my room ad reg is about $120-40ish some where around there, plus about $20 for food that weekend, and we all chip in $10 to help pay for gas/parking. Plus alachol, if you plan to drink any, that is if you are legaly able to do so. plus spending money. When I say $20 for foo, I mean buying food before you go; if you plan to eat in the hotel resturants/fast food places you might wanna keep $30-40 for food. Or you can always got uber cheep and live off 6 packs of Mr. Noodles and a 12 pack of your fave pop but I don't suggest doing that... you starve for teh weekend ^^;

Con's are only as expensive as you make them. I use to bring $400 for just spending money but over the years my tastes in merchdise/the reasions why I go have changed and I'm lucky if I bring $100 to blow now. The only garenteed amount I can give you is the $150ish number for room and reg *shrugs*

Mage
03-09-2004, 02:06 PM
In terms of spending money, since other people can give better figures on food/hotel, I'd advise bringing at least $100 for dealer's room. Aside from registration and the food-related events (i.e. the brunch and so on) that you usually have to get tickets for in advance, the dealer's room is the only other expense, except the aforementioned food/hotel. I say at least $100 because even if you're not planning on getting anything at all, there's always a chance you'll run into an artbook or a model or something else that you really want and you may not be able to bargain it down to less than that.

How much money I'll bring will depend on if I have a job before AN or if I'm still looking. If not, I'll bring $100 and what I don't spend in the dealer room will likely be spent on the artist alley or at the bar, since I'll actually be legal by the time AN rolls around.

Spatx
03-09-2004, 02:59 PM
I have no money to spend! I'll be lucky if once I pay for Artists Alley and my costumes I have 20 dollars left over. o.O Ah well, hopefully I will be able to break even selling art. ^_^ So.. I'd say I'll be paying about $80 for the actual con.

All the rest of my money goes towards pre-con stuff. Costumes, and making art prints. So maybe about $200 - $300 dollars in the end.

JustinCredible
03-09-2004, 03:30 PM
I was disappointed that there were no video games or the like type of merch available. So I spent only $5 in the dealers Room. As it was said before, it is as expensive as you want it. Keep in mind the hotel, transportation, food and emergency fundage are a given... outside of that, its up to you!

lainey
03-09-2004, 05:05 PM
yeah what i did, i packed DELUXE sandwiches for myself, and i saved A LOT of money! my friends were always buying food at each meal, while i popped out my yummy sandwiches and cookies :D

plus, it makes it easier since the food will be far this time, and you can open up your food and eat anywhere without worrying about missing things.

for the cosplayers, i made my non-cosplaying friends carry my stuff teehee :D

though i did treat myself with something warm for a meal or two ^_^

archangeli
03-09-2004, 05:11 PM
^ you were at AN last year Lains?

anyhow, I didn't spend more than $30 at the con last year. Anything that I *really* want I can usually find cheaper on eBay or if I do a bit of searching online.

There's not much that I usually want - I'm into FF merchandise and artbooks mostly and I found that stuff at AN that I wanted was viciously overpriced *glares at Kikiwai table*

I won't pay $30 for keychains or UFO plushies... :p

Kia
03-09-2004, 05:13 PM
I was disappointed that there were no video games or the like type of merch available. So I spent only $5 in the dealers Room. As it was said before, it is as expensive as you want it. Keep in mind the hotel, transportation, food and emergency fundage are a given... outside of that, its up to you!

Yeah... at my first CN Anime I think I broke the bank. I remember spending almost everything I had brought with me to spend. The only reason I ended up with leftover money was b/c my mom gave me my birthday money early that year... and then the next year I hardly spent a thing because they basically had all the same stuff from the year before, which I had already bought. So I figure, if this is your first con you're probably more likely to spend more that you will next year. If you spend about $100 this year in the dealers room and on food/extras people usually learn from their mistakes and find ways to cut costs the next time around. ^_^
So if you end up spending more than you thought this year, just think of it as an investment. ^_^

lainey
03-09-2004, 06:55 PM
yup archangeli i was at AN last year.... i've been going to cons for quite awhile.
i didn't started cosplaying until last summer though :D

but yeah, most of the stuff you can find on ebay and at Pacific Mall.

But pacific mall usually doesn't carry UFO dolls and stuff like that, and then the shipping and handling on ebay is sometimes really pricey too.

so search around ebay now for the things u like, and then compare to see that when u are at AN, if u like it or not.

The thing is, when you're in the dealer's room, everything is there and tangible and you feel the urge to take out your wallet and buy everything in site teehee

that's the effect of the dealer's room, so shop smart!

kenhidaka
03-09-2004, 07:10 PM
Hmm costs for me at AN for the last two years minus hotels, food, etc. was $140 and $100 but what everyone pretty much mentions is true. After the first year, they usually have everything that you wanted before either you have now or know places cheaper. But then again a few of the stores are very local in my area. ^_^; Listen, unless you got a really big wish list, you shouldn't bring a lot of cash if you are not planning on getting much and beware of dealers who sell stuff for American dollars. They're very crafty people.

Machiko
03-09-2004, 07:41 PM
i don't even remember how much i paid for AN...

since my sis and i didn't stay in the hotel, didn't have to pay like $100 lol *go dad and crazy car driving w00t*

i know i bought some manga...that was like $40 total...bought a Pupu doll, cause i've always wanted one, and 15 bucks wasn't that bad ^___^" bought my sis a neko-sama keke...so cute.

as my sis said, kikiwai totally OVERPRICED >____<' geez...those artbooks tho...*sobs* had most of them LOL my sis bought a really cute ff9 ufo model thing for me (yes, model, NOT ufo). then...i ran out of money lol...

i'm bringing over $100 this yr, just in case lol (it's all for the books....*grabs my friend who barters like mad* mwa haha...)

JustinCredible
03-09-2004, 09:05 PM
Oh... I dropped some cash at the DDR room last year because you have to pay, to play! If the rumours are true and they got their hands on a PPP machine... I have to set aside coinage for that!

Sarcasm-hime
03-10-2004, 11:31 AM
I used to splurge at dealer rooms but these days I'll walk thru the whole thing and only see one or two things that I REALLY want. Kikiwai is just downtown, so it's not like I can't get most of the stuff fairly easily. The past couple of years I think I've only bought maybe 1 thing in the dealer's room. Plus our house is only 15-20 min away from the con, so we haven't stayed in the hotel....plus I'm on staff so don't need to buy reg. So my expenditure at AN has been pretty much for food and that's it.

I guess it all balances out, considering the immense amount of money that goes into my costumes...*rofl*

heki-chan
03-10-2004, 12:21 PM
i bought one chobits manga last year. yep. one.

year before that, i bought a nausicaa manga, and 2 ffx posters.

i dun spend very much in the dealer's anymore. I can buy it from EK Trading whenever i want *plugs EK*

ahahah

Oshi
03-10-2004, 01:17 PM
I plan on spending... as little as possible XD I don't plan on bringing more than US$150... that should be more than enough, I hope

Lil: I see you're from Jersey... assuming they're giving estimates in CN$... so take about 85% of those nums for US, I believe...

Meh, that's gonna be a new experience, having to convert my money ^^;;;

Nagii
03-10-2004, 08:35 PM
Does anyone know how high prices in the dealer room go and how low?

Kia
03-10-2004, 08:59 PM
Does anyone know how high prices in the dealer room go and how low?
It really depends on the items your're looking for. Count on the dealers to try and get as much $ out of everyone as they can. But just a tip, if the price seems to high for you wait until Sunday afternoon and them try and bargin with them. I've gotten some pretty good deals that way. ^_^

Lil
03-11-2004, 04:22 PM
Hmm... So I could probably get away with 200$ USD for the con if I bring my own food. Bringing my own food shouldnt be a problem since for Anime Boston I'm gonna have to bring all my own food since it happens on passover. :) Now I just have to talk to my freinds and make sure the space is still open. :D

I'm guessing That I'm going to have to use CD $ in the dealers room and such. I heard from someone that using your debt (check card) at an atm is the way to get the best conversion rate. Anyone know if this is true?

Mage
03-11-2004, 04:57 PM
Just to follow-up what Kia said...

if you want to really bargain the price down, offer to do something really stupid (but legal)....the stupider the better. Some dealers...one table in particular...will go for this tactic (sometimes loudly proclaiming that you can get 15% off whatever if you do such-and-such stupid person trick), especially if they have a video camera to get it on tape.

Nagii
03-11-2004, 05:59 PM
Well I'm most likely gonna get some Manga, a plushie or two.. You know stuff I really want that looking for in my city is a pain in the ass.

Kia
03-11-2004, 09:37 PM
Just to follow-up what Kia said...

if you want to really bargain the price down, offer to do something really stupid (but legal)....the stupider the better. Some dealers...one table in particular...will go for this tactic (sometimes loudly proclaiming that you can get 15% off whatever if you do such-and-such stupid person trick), especially if they have a video camera to get it on tape.
REALLY?!?!? I've never heard of that tactic before.... wonder where I was when that stuff went on... ^_^
hum.... must contemplate evil ideas for this year's cons.... :: in a sing-song voice :: Hey JustinCredible! Feel like getting me a discount?! :razz:

dani
03-11-2004, 09:50 PM
I'm guessing That I'm going to have to use CD $ in the dealers room and such. I heard from someone that using your debt (check card) at an atm is the way to get the best conversion rate. Anyone know if this is true?
Last summer I used both my debit and credit cards (issued in local canadian currency) when in Europe, and when I came back and checked the statements I was given a LOT better exchange than the cash euros I got at Thomas Cook before the trip. I guess they are getting competitive because they used to gauge with the exchage rates before.

On a separate (sad) note, almost every day of that vacation I went through the train station that got bombed today :( Oh, well....

Dani

Kia
03-11-2004, 10:13 PM
One problem with ATM's, they charge you to use them. I think it's at a rate of something from $1.50-2.00 CND, which to some people isn't much, but it's usually worth it to just walk the extra block to use an actually bank machine from your bank. (This only really applies to CN b/c I know round about where all bank machines are in walking distance. I figure at AN finding a close bank machine will be a lot harder, so it's alot wiser to bring money with you instead of using the ATM's at the convention center.)
When it comes to which type of currency you can use I honetly wouldn't be suprised if you can find at least *some* dealers that will do business with you in American funds. If I remember correctly at least one of the dealers had American addresses on the bag (as in their base store) and I think that there are some dealer that are actually comming from the states (at least I know this for sure at CN, not sure about AN though).
I doubt any of this will help you, but I tried. :thumbsup:

Lil
03-12-2004, 09:41 AM
I'll probably bring half cash and half leave in my checking then. The 1-2$ CD on the atm doesn't seem that much to me. I got charged 2.50USD$ when I used one in NY city.

For the dealers room thing....

This works for me...

Example: If you see something that is like 15$.. Stand there and stare at it. soon enough the Clerk will come over to help you. Tell them that you really want it but you only have 11$ left to spend. They will usually let you get it for the less. Just make sure you don't hand them a 20$ and ask for change. That kinda ruins the tactic. Hand them exact change.

lainey
03-12-2004, 03:18 PM
ooo lil i like that :D

LOL

i tend to start bargaining almost right off the bat.

But i still get good results... i think being in costume helps too!

Akari
03-12-2004, 10:26 PM
Well I don't have alot of money to spend (my parents won't let me use so much) For my first con (last year) I brought about $100 with me and I packed myself a lunch and drink. I actually didn't spend alot of the money, less than half. I couldn't bring myself to spend alot of money u_______u

Sala
03-14-2004, 05:15 PM
Hmmm...yes, to all those who asked: ATM machines are great. Also, if you have a credit card, many booths accept them - so you don't have to pay the ATM fee and you get the good exchange rate! It can be a real joy.
I never spend that much in the dealers room unless I see cels that I want. Does anyone know if there will be any cel dealers at AN?

Otaking97
03-14-2004, 10:12 PM
Spending money at cons is great. I like the whole no tax thing. And since I am not too close to Toronto I can not get to the Anime shops easily......I'm an hour or so away.
So anyway I will likely bring another $400-$600 and spend like crazy. I usually buy a tonne of Dvds, Vhs, Manga, wall scrolls, cds, toys, etc.....I like to buy a little to lot of everything. I usually spend $400 at every Con but since I actually missed A.North last year (first con ever missed in TO) I'm gonna splurge this year.

Nagii
03-14-2004, 10:21 PM
What is the highest priced item in the dealers room?

Sala
03-14-2004, 10:45 PM
It all depends on what you're looking for. This past Katsucon (in Virginia), I saw cels there for $1300. The current popular high-priced item was the pocket watch from Full Metal Alchemist - for around $250. Stuff in the dealers room runs from around $1 - $1000+...just depends on what you're looking for.

*all prices are USD.

Infini
03-14-2004, 10:55 PM
I'm only planning on spending about $60 on merchandise, since I'm probably going to be poor by then. :0

Nagii
03-15-2004, 05:40 PM
Hmm.. better be some pocky there ;-;

the_tennyo
03-15-2004, 11:02 PM
this year for me, im coming up from ALbbbeeeeertttaaa but free plane and hotel, so maybe only reg for me, and food, I don't really buy anything from dealers rooms, unless its a cool poster or something, but meh :D

Chosuke
03-16-2004, 11:09 AM
If I had money I would spend it --

Spatx
03-16-2004, 12:32 PM
I would like to buy things at Anime North.. but I think before I even get to the con I'll be dead broke.

I spend far too much money on making costumes, and even more money on useless things. (trips to the arcade and movies..) I mean.. I just spent 80 dollars on a wig. o.O But luckily its not actually my wig, so my sister will be paying me back some of the money. I need that money to make art prints! T_T

I don't know If I'll even have enough money to buy my own wigs. Um.. I might end up a brunette Katan. Lol. Or I could say I'm Rasiel. I need to buy feathers and supplies to make wings still. Feathers are going to cost me a LOT of money. 50 dollars just for the feathers - Without shipping and handling which will add on about 15 dollars. And then I still need to buy wire and small fluffy feathers. At least if I make the wings really pretty - I can reuse them and do a whole bunch of Angel Sanctuary costumes. Maybe someday even Alexial (If I feel like being a girl for a change. lol)

the_tennyo
03-16-2004, 02:35 PM
50 dollars for feathers? are you MAD!?

Spatx
03-16-2004, 05:14 PM
50 dollars for feathers? are you MAD!?

Possibly so. ^_^ I actually might not spend that much, becuase I think I can get enough feathers for 30 dollars from this other place. *sweatdrops* Bless the Internet. XD

Who knew feathers would cost so much? :eeek:

Nagii
03-16-2004, 10:48 PM
I'm planning on bringing between 200-300 CAN cause I need to grab all the anime stuff I can. Plus it's for cost of food. hotel is already kinda paid for with credit card.

Arcueid
03-17-2004, 03:21 PM
i'm packing my own food and snacks for the con, :burger: and i'm planning to bring only about 60 dollars spending money for the dealer's room. i'm not one for buying dvds or anything expensive anyway. if i'm semi-successful at my art table, i might use that revenue to buy small things as well. :dance: but then again, that's IF i'm successful... :thumbsup: help feed a starving artist and drop by my table! :spinner:

Kia
03-17-2004, 09:43 PM
Last year my food for the entire weekend consisted of:

2 containers of Burbon Chicken (one bought Friday, one bought Saturday)
a big yellow plastic bag full of various pastries that were "stolen" from the Staruday morning brunch. (which can be seen in my gallery)
A hot dog

= not a lot of money spent on food, but I survived. ^_^

Harsh Reality
03-22-2004, 07:29 AM
Honestly, I never bring much money to cons.

It'd just... after you pay the entry fee and spend the money to purchase things you need for a costume, I just never have much left over.

For the March TAC I brought $20 spending money,for AN I might have $30 or $40. Although I am party of the Communist Party of Canada and the Youth Communist League, so part of it is that I'm generally not encouraged to go on materialistic spending sprees.

~Konrad

lainey
03-22-2004, 07:38 AM
spatx i got like 600+ feathers for a total of 45 including shipping harhar.

do you need them for wings?
i bought some goose feathers and the stiff turkey feathers too.

Kia
03-22-2004, 07:45 AM
spatx i got like 600+ feathers for a total of 45 including shipping harhar.

do you need them for wings?
i bought some goose feathers and the stiff turkey feathers too.
O_O wow... that sounds like an awsome deal to me.... doubt that would work for Ostrich feathers though...

neko rinchan
03-27-2004, 08:29 PM
yeah, since i'm getting one or more of those copic marker sets, i'll be spending quite the pretty penny...

Mia-P
03-27-2004, 10:23 PM
Mmm I'll be buying nothing, I've spent a lot of money on comics/merchandise the past few months so...I'm almost broke of the "spending" moolah. I can only afford the hotel/food and that sort of stuff XD;; I also spend a huge chunck of money on stuff for cosplay of corse!!! X3

Duckie
03-28-2004, 09:20 PM
I've been saving up and I havent bought much anime or manga in the past few months, so I'm probably going to spend like...200$ or so, since there isnt hardly any anime in Montreal :bigcry:

Lyulf
03-28-2004, 09:40 PM
Now that is hard to answer, especially if the anime movies i have been searching for
are there, so I'ld say in the more than $200, not including hotels

Nagii
03-31-2004, 10:45 PM
I'm bringing 200+ !

Cause:
St.Catharines + Anime/J-music/manga= NOTHING BUT YU GI OH AND POKEMON >.<;;; need.. goodies..hmm..I wonder if they will have anything Yaoi related there....?

Team_kibosh
04-05-2004, 08:51 PM
I think that all depends....are you including strippers and drugs?

Ryukka
04-05-2004, 09:30 PM
I'm bringing 200+ !

Cause:
St.Catharines + Anime/J-music/manga= NOTHING BUT YU GI OH AND POKEMON >.<;;; need.. goodies..hmm..I wonder if they will have anything Yaoi related there....?

I remember last year there was one stand in the dealers room with douj. and they had a yaoi panel... I think o_O;

kingbunny
04-06-2004, 01:24 PM
Spending 200, will have to spend, 130 at this rate. >_<
XD I need a job.

miao says neko
04-06-2004, 07:07 PM
in keeping with the tradition of the last 3 years i'm bringing $2000 for the dealer's room/auction and $100 incase my friend and i wanna go to a restaurant or something on the sunday night.

sadly i was wanting to cosplay this year but i got a job later than expected and won't have time to make the costume i was hoping to wear =( meaning another year i have to wait before i dive into my first cosplay experience *sniffle*

Ravnos
04-11-2004, 02:00 AM
hmm god , i hope not too Much

Nagii
04-11-2004, 09:34 PM
yummy Yaoi

Dj_[K]
04-11-2004, 11:39 PM
If i bring money, i'll bring money to spend on Initial D or Goldenboy dvd's

Most of the times, when i went to previous AN conventions, i usually ended up coming there with a 100$ bill, spending about 50-60 on 2 dvds or 4 mangas, and the rest of the money would usually go into the ddr machine in the gaming room
lol

Chosuke
04-12-2004, 12:02 AM
Haha, now that I HAVE a little bit of money...
I'll probably see if I can get a good deal on an artbook.
I'm more an art person then a toy/model collector.

I mannaged to get the Saiyuki Salty dog artbook last year for 28$
That made me very happy.

mikcy
04-12-2004, 10:12 AM
I'll probably bring enough money to buy at least ONE cd. Oh let's just hope I work before AN. pleaseee.

heki-chan
04-12-2004, 03:20 PM
$50. for food and random stuff.
$30-40. for the hotel room ^_^

nuriko001
04-12-2004, 03:59 PM
0$ :)oh yeah!

Xanthe Kelsylva
04-16-2004, 12:08 AM
I have such a nice brother who will pay for me to go! *snuggles with very reluctant older brother who tries to pull away* All I need to do is talk him into taking me and my parents into letting me go. But who can resist paying for such a cute lil' sister? *looks adorable wearing cute red Maria dress* It can be an early birthday present from him.