PDA

View Full Version : Airbrush Makeup

KusanIvy
03-10-2004, 01:44 PM
Ok, my B-day is rapidly approaching and I've decided that the one thing I really want is an airbrush. I want it primarily for three reasons:

1) Doing T-shirts and wallscrolls
2) Painting my various papier mache creations (masks, armour and so forth)

and

3) Make-up

My question is - does anyone know if you can use a regular hobby airbrush for doing make-up or if you need a special type?

At first I thought they might have to be separate to keep the make-up from becoming contaminated with paint. However further research reveals that you have to completely clean an airbrush after each use so that it doesn't become clogged with dry paint. So I don't think contamination is a big concern anymore.

Then I thought about the air compressor. I know that compressed air can be dangerous if directed at the skin at too high a pressure and in too fine a stream.

Does anyone have an airbrush they use for make-up? Or any airbrush buying tips in general?

mikazuki
03-10-2004, 02:57 PM
Here are some websites in regards to airbrushing makeup. Personally I've never done it but have seen the results of airbrush makeup... flawless, perfect. Sally Beauty does have a airbrush for makeup if you own your own compressor. Shoot, lost the link but just go to Sallybeauty.com and type airbrush makeup and it'll pull it up.

http://www.airbrushshoppe.com/makeup/makeup.html
http://www.airbrush-makeup.com/
http://themakeupshop.com/airbrushbootcamp.html
http://www.makeupmania.com/artist/airbrushes.cfm?dept_id=11
http://www.cosmeticconnection.com/012904.html
http://www.airmakeup.com/

One more link:

http://www.usluairlines.com/uslu.html

KusanIvy
03-11-2004, 07:46 AM
Thanks! The airbrushshoppe link was a big help (it had a marvelous FAQ).

Although some of the cosmetics pages said you needed a specific type of make-up airbrush several of the other sites said you could use a standard airbrush as long as you turned the PSI down on the air compressor (no higher than 25 PSI)
I may, in the future, look into getting the usulairlines cosmetic airbrush though, only because it is extremely portable (the compressor is designed to be small and run on rechareable batteries). But only in the far future, and only as a possibility.

I'm really looking forward to getting my brush now. The one major thing I disliked about my Nightcrawler costume was my make-up job. Because I was "between shades" (ie. all the blue make-ups I could find were too bright, and I couldn't find black and blue cream make-up of the same brand) I ended up having to sponge on a layer of black "greasepaint" and then a layer of blue - all the while trying not to disturb my liquid latex "tattoos". This resulted in rather patchy coverage. An airbrush would make things so much easier (it's what they used in the movie to paint Alan Cumming blue)

mikazuki
03-11-2004, 10:42 AM
Glad the links helped! I love the way airbrushed makeup looks and you end up using so much less then normal makeup. Have fun and let us know how it works out!

RoxieRocket
03-12-2004, 01:08 AM
Hehehe! I just got an airbrush about a month ago... I used to have one years ago, but I am rusty because I seriously forgot how to use it. ;P I want to try it with makeup now as well... so I've been researching the matter myself.

The fact of the matter is there are only two kinds of airbrushes, hehe. Single action and Dual action. I reccomend single action (s'what I got) because they're a lot cheaper, and much easier to use. With single action airbrushes you have to stop painting and turn a little knob to adjust airflow, but it's really not a big deal.

My advice is don't get a compressor unless you plan on airbrushing things ALL THE TIME. Compressors suck a lot of electricity and they are noisy and hella expensive.

Cans of air are your friend... you can get them at art stores for around ten bucks a pop.

Check out http://www.fxsupply.com/makeup/mu_body.html for liquid bodypaints...

KusanIvy
03-12-2004, 07:34 AM
I do want a compressor - only cause I do plan on airbrushing a lot. I suspect I'm going to go airbrush crazy. I have a whole stack of T-shirts which are long overdue to be painted hee hee.

I was thinking of buying a few small cans of air for when I go to cons since I can't drag the compressor with me (I heard you can't take air cans on planes but then I drive to all the ones I go to so it's not a big deal).

SMoogle
03-12-2004, 11:57 AM
How do you hook up the cans of air to your airbrush? would i have to buy a special hose?

RoxieRocket
03-12-2004, 12:22 PM
KusanIvy: Yeah, any sort of canned air and spraypaint/aerosols aren't allowed on airplanes and in most cases can't be shipped either (FedEx will ship them as "dangerous goods" but that will cost you money). If you did take a can of spraypaint on an airplane the changes in air pressure would probably make it explode. When I was leaving college for home a few months ago I was so sad to have to leave my can of chrome spraypaint, but then I ended up taking the train so I got to take it with. :D

SMoogle: The airbrush I got is a cheap amateur airbrush and it came with the attatchment for aircans... but you can get them seperately. It's just a little thing that you screw on to the top of the can. I'm really blurry on this part but I -think- it's the same kind of thing that attatches aircans and compressors to the brush-- it's the sort of aircan you get that is special. Every craft and hobby store I've been to has them, so they shouldn't be hard to find.

Tiirz
03-13-2004, 02:42 PM
I'd suggest a refillable air tank and a compressor. Unless you buy a very expensive compressor that it very quiet, it'll drive you crazy with the noise! And a refillable tank will save you a lot of money in the long run in comparison to air cans, which really don't last long for me. I've used a couple in one painting when I was doing airbrushing.

KusanIvy
03-13-2004, 08:49 PM
Actually the whole air can thing was what prevented me from getting an airbrush u until now. But I recently found a few different art stores in town that sell 5 or 6 different models of airbrush and different compressors as well, so I'll be able to choose the model I really want.

archangeli
03-18-2004, 11:47 PM
I was reading the catelog for Holt Renfrew's (a VERY high end dept store in Canada) and they did a feature article on a company that has just released an airbrush product especially for makeup! (including foundation, eyeshadows and blushes).

The company is called Uslu Airlines and the makeup system costs a pretty $660 (CAN). However, it is quiet and portable for travel.

From what I was reading about it, there is no "valve" so the airflow is constant helping to create a smoother application. I don't know anything about airbrushing in general so if that means something to you, good :)

I think I'll sit tight as some company like Igia is going to create a cheaper knockoff sooner or later ;)

KusanIvy
03-19-2004, 08:56 PM
I was reading the catelog for Holt Renfrew's (a VERY high end dept store in Canada) and they did a feature article on a company that has just released an airbrush product especially for makeup! (including foundation, eyeshadows and blushes).

The company is called Uslu Airlines and the makeup system costs a pretty $660 (CAN). However, it is quiet and portable for travel.

Actually one of the links mikazuki posted (http://www.usluairlines.com/uslu.html ) will take you to the webpage for that company.

I really like how small and portable that airbrush is, and if I was getting an airbrush just for make-up that would probably be the type I'd want to buy. However I want it for painting other stuff as well.

I actually found a make-up artist in my area who is going to teach me how to airbrush make-up. Now I just have to buy myself a brush!

flying cabbit
03-30-2004, 08:07 PM
There are small air compressors, I own one, it's still really loud, but it's not bigger then maybe a foot (and half). I'm not sure, I haven't brought it out in a long time.

You might also want to look into nail airbrushes, they might have the low pressure used in make-up since they are for a rather small canvas (fake nails XD)

Machiko
03-30-2004, 11:26 PM
--- wrong posting ----

archangeli
03-30-2004, 11:28 PM
I had time to kill today so I went into the Holt's in downtown Toronto. The girl there was super sweet and did my makeup for me using the Uslu Airbrush product.

It's really cute and compact - and it's rechargeable so after a while you can unplug the AC adapter and take it with you.

It was quite a different experience but the overall effect was lovely. The only down side is that you have to apply a separate concealer afterwards since the airbrush will only do foundation, eyeshadow and blush.

Pics in gallery:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=122009

yakineko oni
03-31-2004, 08:27 AM
The fact of the matter is there are only two kinds of airbrushes, hehe. Single action and Dual action. I reccomend single action (s'what I got) because they're a lot cheaper, and much easier to use. With single action airbrushes you have to stop painting and turn a little knob to adjust airflow, but it's really not a big deal.

i started with a dual action airbrush, and really, i couldn't imagine going to a single action! comparably, (imho) the single action airbrush is barely a step above rattle-can spray paint.

the dual-action is not hard to learn to use. one direction controls the paint flow, and the other direction controls the air flow. it's amazingly versatile- i have actually been able to simulate calligraphy brush strokes with my airbrush (yes, <i>that's</i> pretty hard. but it looks <i>really</i> good..)

anyhow.. i would suggest that, if you can, give the dual action brush a try.. don't be afraid! if you honestly don't like it, then you never have to again. but give it a chance, at least. ;) if it's price you're worried about, ask around.. i bought mine slightly used for $50 (half the price in a store, at the time..)

archangeli
04-03-2004, 05:25 PM
Yet another interesting "airbrush makeup" type of product.

This one comes with a headband to keep your hair out of the way.

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml;jsessionid=4CYX2IMQBHHFZLAUCLBBXCQ?i d=P62331&categoryId=

A bit pricey at $55/ kit but the color selections look better than the Sally Hansen product.

Kaze
04-03-2004, 06:02 PM
I've been thinking about getting into airbrushing myself but strictly for make up and body art purposes. What would guys suggest as far as what type of airbrush to get and prices and things like that?

KusanIvy
04-04-2004, 11:37 AM
I got it! Went out last week and bought myself an airbrush (dual action). It's an Iwata Ecclipse I believe. I also bought a compressor. Final bill (including airbrush, compressor, air hose, moisture trap, and a small set of paints) - $500. The airbrush itself was $199.

Unfortunately I have not yet had a chance to play with it. I'll let you know the results when I do. It will probably be awhile before I try any make-up, because short of practicing on my arm with food colouring or something, I have no airbrush make-ups yet.

Kaze if you want your airbrush strictly for make-up you might want to try the Uslu one. Part of the reason I got the Iwata though was it came highly recommended as a good all-around airbrush. The one website I visited did talk about make-up and body-art and they said they used the Iwata all the time.

Katachi
06-06-2004, 06:30 PM
Wow sounds like fun! Hope that compressor has a regulator tank! My crappy old one didn't and it didn't provide a constant stream....

but if you REALLY want to get fancy some day:
http://www.graftobian.com/
The guy who did all the airbrush work in the pics and the how-to vids is going to be teaching me how to do it this fall :P And anything I learn I'd be happy to share :P

I got it! Went out last week and bought myself an airbrush (dual action). It's an Iwata Ecclipse I believe. I also bought a compressor. Final bill (including airbrush, compressor, air hose, moisture trap, and a small set of paints) - $500. The airbrush itself was $199.

Unfortunately I have not yet had a chance to play with it. I'll let you know the results when I do. It will probably be awhile before I try any make-up, because short of practicing on my arm with food colouring or something, I have no airbrush make-ups yet.

Kaze if you want your airbrush strictly for make-up you might want to try the Uslu one. Part of the reason I got the Iwata though was it came highly recommended as a good all-around airbrush. The one website I visited did talk about make-up and body-art and they said they used the Iwata all the time.

China-Lilly
06-06-2004, 08:37 PM
If you get the USLU one, don't believe everything they tell you. They say that you can only use the USLU foundation with their airbrush, when I know people have used others with it. It because foundations is where they can make money off you on an on-going basis. I know a lot of people use Colorstay thinned with 244 fluid, or MAC Face & Body thinned with water.

I have a foundation airbrush and compressor, but have found it's not the quickest way to do things. To set it up, spray and then clean up takes more time than conventional makeup. I wouldn't bother on myself, but if I had to do a couple of people it would be useful. I kind of regret getting mine, and am probably going to try and sell it off sometime, but all up, mine only cost about $350 inc foundations, so I'm not too bothered.

Edited for typo.

KusanIvy
06-08-2004, 06:48 PM
Wow sounds like fun! Hope that compressor has a regulator tank! My crappy old one didn't and it didn't provide a constant stream....

but if you REALLY want to get fancy some day:
http://www.graftobian.com/
The guy who did all the airbrush work in the pics and the how-to vids is going to be teaching me how to do it this fall :P And anything I learn I'd be happy to share :P

I got some airbrush make-up from graftobian the other day. It works fairly well so far, although I've only been doing single colours "foundation style" (ie. one colour over my whole face)

I haven't tried specific patterns or using a stencil yet.

Katachi
06-09-2004, 12:48 AM
Sounds fun! I can't wait to see pics!

I got some airbrush make-up from graftobian the other day. It works fairly well so far, although I've only been doing single colours "foundation style" (ie. one colour over my whole face)

I haven't tried specific patterns or using a stencil yet.

Kira_Yamato
06-09-2004, 01:47 AM
Nice, Iwata Eclipse! I have a Double Action Eclipse myself, it's a great airbrush, and is nearly indestructable as well. I use mine for models, though, so I'll be interested in seeing how it performs in another role.

KusanIvy
06-09-2004, 07:31 PM
Sounds fun! I can't wait to see pics!

Well I used my airbrush quite extensively on my TMNT costume (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=140213&password=d5df9803295c5185b159ae9bbc2a8b6b&sort=1&cat=500&page=1) (both for make-up and for painting details on the shell and body suit)

I'm really happy with the stencil work on the shell.