PDA

View Full Version : Henna

Arrow
03-12-2004, 10:56 AM
I've never used Henna before, but my friend has and I've watched her several times. I'm interested in using it, to experiment with some things and everything. I figured this could be used for others so that they can post whatever questions they may have about Henna, etc.

These are mine:

1) How long does Henna usually stay on the skin? Is there a special remover that can be used in case one needs to get it off ... or makes a mistake?
2) Can you make your own 'stencil' like things, and if so, what should they be made out of? Can you use, say, paper, or does it need to be something that the Henna won't bleed through?
3) What areas of the body should Henna not be applied to?
4) Do they now make different color "Hennas" or is it just the one?
5) Are there different 'brands' of it, and if so, which is the best/worst/cheapest, etc.?

Any other tid bits would be greatly appreciated, I'm sure. Anyways, thanks in advance, as always. ^^

Sarcasm-hime
03-12-2004, 12:27 PM
1) the longer you leave it on the skin, the darker the design will be. It's recommended that you leave it on for a few hours at least, the best is to wrap the area and leave it on overnight. So it doesn't leave a dark mark immediately; you can wipe it off if you're quick. It lasts about 2 weeks usually.
2) I haven't used stencils....but I'd suspect it should be something inert like plastic.
3) Henna takes best to areas where there are blood vessels close to the skin, like hands and feet. It can take other places but the design will not be as dark. I'm not aware of specific 'bad' places, but I'd imagine you should keep it away from eyes, mouth etc.
4) There are lots of different colours but I haven't used them personally.
5) There are all sorts of brands - what you want is the freshest henna (it should be green and smell fresh) for the best results. It should also be very fine-grained powder (no big chunky bits) if you want it to go through your applicator smoothly.

I never managed to get the tube applicator thing to work properly so just applied my henna with a toothpick (the really old-fashioned way). ^_^

Arrow
03-12-2004, 01:19 PM
Thank you so much. ^^

Alanna-chan
03-13-2004, 04:03 AM
1- commercial, pre-mixed henna normally stays on for only a week (yet they say a month) no matter how long you keep it on. But if you get the good quality stuff you mix yourself, it should stay. And if you make a mistake, wash it off quickly, before it appears of the skin.
2- Try paper with pen then go over the pen with the paste
3- I'ld guess eyes, and if you're kinky, I suggest not going to low ><
4- Not that I've heard of, though there are darker ones, some are more yellow-orange, some brown, some red.
5- yeah, and stay away from hot topic's henna (it's the typical premixed, week long and I'm pretty sure it's toxic too, I don't feel too good when I use it), but internional markets/craft stores should have some good quality henna.

Jinx
03-23-2004, 11:23 PM
Ha.. this is late, but oh well.

I used a pre-mixed brand that comes ready in a tube called "Rani Kone". I don't remember where I ordered it online, but just do a search and you'll find it. It's about $7.00 a tube and it's great.

BEWARE OF COLORED HENNA!! The natural color of henna is brown/red, and anything colored has dyes added to it. The dyes will stick to your skin more than the henna will. I suggest just going natural.

In order to make your henna last longer, leave it on longer. You can do this by making a lemon and sugar mix and putting it over your henna as soon as it dries. I do a lazy version and I put on tape. o.O;;; And then sleep on it. But the problem with that is that moisture gets caught in there and ruins the design. You can also try using that liquid bandage stuff which I've been meaning to get. It's a little pricey though.

Lastly, keep your henna refridgerated for a long lifetime. Hope you have fun!

Kanna-chan
03-24-2004, 05:46 PM
1) How long does Henna usually stay on the skin? Is there a special remover that can be used in case one needs to get it off ... or makes a mistake?
I don't know about remover, but if you leave the henna on for at least an hour it should show up pretty dark. I left mine on for a half hour last time I did it, which was last week, and it was pretty dark, and it's still on, so it should last at least two weeks if you leave it on your hand for a looooong time before washing.

2) Can you make your own 'stencil' like things, and if so, what should they be made out of? Can you use, say, paper, or does it need to be something that the Henna won't bleed through?
I don't know, but my mom tells me there are stencils that can be used.

3) What areas of the body should Henna not be applied to?
I'm guessing around the eyes, mouth, and stuff like that.

I think it depends.

5) Are there different 'brands' of it, and if so, which is the best/worst/cheapest, etc.?
I have NO idea. My mom just uses leftover henna stuff from when she colours her hair to hide the gray hairs. xD

Olivia
03-25-2004, 01:02 AM
Oh goodies!- I'm a henna queen :thumbsup:

You can add henna multiple times to make it darker. To make it its darkest, use a terp.

You can make "Persian Gold" to add a yellow stain to spice up your henna look. It lasts 4+ days I think.

You can make your henna crimson with turmeric and pickling lime, wine dregs, and other things.

Use indigo for blue.

STAY AWAY FROM BLACK HENNA

Maryam
04-10-2006, 01:54 PM
Hello eveybody ..

I am using Rani Kone Henna Paste in Saudia and its really very nice henna.
I check other henna also in the market but some time they give dark black some time they give brownish they dont have a quality control....
But when i use Rani Kone Henna it was really unbelievable it gives me a good experience ..;

I just visited their website: www.ranikonehenna.com and checked that they have more products also...

just check ... hope you all like,,..

Bye......

kittyfresca
04-12-2006, 12:24 AM
oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh.........i think im gonna go buy some henna! the only kind ive seen around here is this: http://image.misterart.com/grouppix/528x352/2000/g2028.jpg
is it a good brand to buy???

bob-chan
04-12-2006, 02:12 AM
Well, given henna is basically a ground up plant mixed with water to become a muddy paste... It's hard to figure out what works and what doesn't, and where to get the right kinds and whatnot..
That brand, kittyfresca, it looks aight. The design is pretty amateur, and they probably didn't leave it on long enough to make it come out darker. Or maybe the quality is bad? You can't tell with these online things.. >_<
The reason henna shows up dark on skin with plenty of blood vessels underneath is because it reacts to heat. I like to put my hands over the stove, because my hands are always cold. ^^
To purchase henna, forget online stores, because you have no idea what quality/condition/age it will be. Find your local Indian/Pakistani store. Those guys know their stuff, so ask em about what henna they carry, and where you can find the freshest supply. (as mentioned, fresh henna is a dark green. When it gets older it turns more brown.) From my experience, powdered henna doesn't work for much more than dying your hair..
Don't even try putting on henna with a toothpick. It takes forever and is messy and wastes toothpicks like anything. You will hate yourself. And you will scrape yourself many times when you get tired. >_< If you can't make a cone out of plastic... Put it in a ziploc baggy, and poke a needle through a corner. Basically, apply it like cake icing. Except don't try to eat it. XD
Uh.. I wouldnt recommend putting tape or whatnot on the henna until its *completely* dry, becaues the last thing you want is for your design to smear. Any moisture will cause it to run and get icky. I haven't tried that liquid bandage idea though. Sounds interesting.. Theoretically it should work, right?

kittyfresca
04-12-2006, 08:32 PM
hehe i bought henna, im still waiting for 7:30 tomorrow morning when i get to take the crusty parts off ^.^ :P

bob-chan
04-13-2006, 01:25 AM
You wash it off, silly. ^-^
Then you smell nicer too. XD Henna smell is unwelcome to many people..

kittyfresca
04-13-2006, 03:00 AM
well i knew ya wash it off, but ya knows what i mean :P by the end of this coming summer i want to get really good at henna. when i opened the box, the smell was very strong but it didnt bother me and i just figured that it means its fresher XP and it was a dark green..so i think it was pretty fresh. but its all dry now and its a brown color, but morning will be fun when i can wash the crustys off. o.O school will be interesting when vacation is over...

Maryam
04-29-2006, 03:56 PM
Try Some Rani Henna ......