PDA

View Full Version : Cataclysm Thrall

hisserbee
03-25-2013, 04:32 AM
Hello all! I've never cosplayed before, or been to a con, but I' going to Blizzcon for the first time this year, and I really want to make an awesome Thrall costume for it. This is the look I want to make:

http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/images/news/2010/august/thrall.jpg

I want it to be as realistic looking as possible without being obscenely expensive. The thing is, I'm not really sure where to start. It seems like I should probably do the tunic first, but I don't know what materials would be best and, construction wise, I don't know how to make the seams look the way they do on the character model without having big gaps. I feel like I can probably make the armor pieces by going through the various tutorials. I also figure I can do a resin cast to make the jewels, but I have no idea how to make the gold pieces that connect the jewels. Does anybody have any tips, or links to tutorials that would be particularly useful for this costume, or general advice for a noob?

empyriel101
05-19-2013, 10:48 PM
Tunic looks like it could be a mix of thick linen and faux leather. Maybe faux leather for the belt and the 2 wrist pieces?

Neener_nina
05-20-2013, 03:54 AM
I'm no tailor, but you could probably make the seams the normal way (or hidden), but add the "ropes holding them together" afterwards.

The gold parts of the shaman beads you could probably just hot glue craft foam to them and with several layers of primer/pva glue/gesso, it would work. Attach them together using small O rings behind each bead, as it looks like they just have a flat backing and either buy them in that colour, or paint them gold as well.

Looking forward to seeing it! :D

openedbook
08-13-2013, 10:40 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/bf474m.jpg

I used microfiber for everything. I used pre-quilted fabric for the bracers though. I used model magic for the jewelry and the chain is plastic chain from the hardware store painted.

Yumiro
08-16-2013, 08:52 PM
Hm. I would also say Resin Casting for Thralls Gems is a good idea.
Use the technique that Kamui uses with Nailpolish it makes them look more Realistic and not plain.
Used the same Technique for Wrathions Turban Gems and i can say its pretty cheap but looks really fantastic!