PDA

View Full Version : Awards question

FalconW
03-17-2004, 11:08 AM
I was just wondering something about the contests and the winners. When you're in a group skit and you end up winning an award, how do you decide who gets to keep the award since you are from different cities and/or states? Do you give to the person who came up with the skit idea? Or pull a name out of a hat?

Hikaruchan
03-17-2004, 12:26 PM
If one person did the majority of work - like make most of the costumes - then think they deserve whatever award was if cann't be split. If there wasn't a clearly defined person who put in way more effort, then should draw name if cann't split whatever was given.

Icequeenkitty
03-20-2004, 06:06 PM
Well when my group won they gave me everything swearing up and down that it was *my* award.. ^^; I wrote our script but they put work in as well memorising my ridiculous lines so I feel guilty about having everything, Trophy and the spoils.... well they all know they are more than welcome to take them I guess that's the important part. As long as the "caretaker" of the winnings keeps them available there shouldn't be any problems...

Eleryth
03-21-2004, 09:45 PM
Many conventions that I attend give ribbons and/or certificates to all the members of the group, so this decision never has to be made. I would rather see prizes like this than one tropy or plaque for a group, precisely because of the problem you mentioned. Perhaps it's something that could be suggested to the convention organizers for next time?

Congrats, though, on winning something. Way to go!

FalconW
03-21-2004, 09:55 PM
Congrats, though, on winning something. Way to go!
No, I didn't anything yet. I was just asking how others decide. You know, just asking some advice for when the time comes.

Eleryth
03-22-2004, 06:32 AM
Aww, too bad. I guess it was an assumption made because there was a "mini-con" in Toronto this weekend, and for some reason I thought you might have won something there. I suppose it depends what conventions you go to, then. Seeing as you are in Manitoba, are you attending Anime North? AN is the one that gives ribbons to all the group members, so you wouldn't have to worry about it. Torontro Trek gives certificates. I have no idea what CNA gives, though, if anything. Or Ad Astra (but it's probably certificates).

Gargoyle1983
03-23-2004, 07:06 PM
With my group, we usually just ask who wants it? Someone will say, "I do" and we give it to them, but that might just be us. Another idea is the one who did most of the work keeps the actual award, but you guys can make something for the entire group, like take a group picture and put it on a plaque with the name of the award and make multiples of them, or something to that effect, just so everyone has something to remember the con and masque by.

Eccoglyph
03-25-2004, 03:44 PM
Our group occasionally rotates the trophies, too. So after a year, they may have been passed to a few different people. We considered choosing a good neutral zone to put the trophies, like a geocache that only we know about (see www.geocaching.com to discover treasures hidden right under your nose). Maybe we'll make that the goal of a skit meeting this summer. :-) Would make for a nice post-con tradition, too. The secret trophy burial/picnic. <g> Need to write this down.

Xanthix
03-25-2004, 06:02 PM
You could do what we did when we won a prize: First split up the loot depending on who wants it, then take the trophy to a copy shop and have them make 3D cardboard copies, so everyone can have one. :)

Nine
03-28-2004, 01:24 PM
Generally, just the acklodegement of having a skit you were in win an award is enough for some people, but not everyone is like that, so if you're in a jam weither to figure out who gets the "goods" in the award, think of some of these things:

- Who came up with the skit idea?
- Who wrote the script?
- Who was in charge, or had a big part of organizing and creating, producing and directing the skit?
- Who's preformance got that skit an award?

:)

Miaka No Baka
03-28-2004, 01:35 PM
My group won I think a tshirt and I think that was it besides the certificate. It was a judges award and was given to the group (although I was pointed out as being the reasoning behind it) although it was for the whole group. I gave the shirt to one of the members cause he really wanted it, besides how can you split a t-shirt between 5 people? lol! I kept the certificate but lol I dunno where it went ^_^;;; If it's a presentation award I think nine has the best method of figuring out who gets to keep the trophy/certificate. For craftsmanship you should take into account who made the costumes and if each person did their own costume by themselves then that kinda puts it in a bind, but if the judge who hands that award out is mentioning specifics on just one person mainly then I'd say them. Rotating the trophy works just as well too. As for swag you win just simply decide who wants what and if it's something that every group member wants draw a number or something for it, that way everyone gets something and it's fair.

Miaka no Baka

Psychotic Jei
04-09-2004, 11:01 PM
My group had those problems...I got ganged up on and forced the award... because I did most of the work. Maybe the easiest way is to just draw names if everyone wants it. =o

Hikaru Tsuki
04-10-2004, 01:34 PM
When my group won the Busting Loose award at Sakura Con 2003, we were given a bunch of goodies, so there was no hassle in splitting it all up. Personaly, I really didn't want anything we were given. XD

If an actual award (like a trophy) was given, then I think we would've had a bit of a harder time. Like Nine said, it should depend on who did what. In our group, so far all of our performances were created by myself, but Nine is the one who always steals the show. XD So, I think it would be harder to decide where the award would go in that case.

Kaijugal
04-21-2004, 08:22 PM
I've been lucky as only one of my trophies has been won in a group situation. In that situation each of us kept the trophy for some time, to show family and friends. Ultimately I was lucky that the other people involved in the winning sketch allowed me to ultimately keep the trophy.

Eleryth made a good point however, that we are lucky enough that locally there are ribbons and certificates awarded at the fan run conventions so each person in the winning group is awarded.

Like this:
http://imagehost.vendio.com/preview/ka/kaijugal/AnimeNorthRibbon.jpg