PDA

View Full Version : New With Question

Treksavvy
05-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Hello Guys and Gals,

I have a question about cosplay, and was wondering if you all would be kind enough to lay my concern to rest.

Can one cosplay a character to live in the world, rather than a character themselves?

I have watched tons of tutorials online, gathered materials like a banshee, and even created my own dress form out of duck tape. The part I'm stuck on is design.

I am heading to Blizzcon this year for my very first time, second convention ever; PAX East being my first.
As a wow player I decided to go as my much loved blood elf rogue. Unfortunately I dislike most of the tiers, and want to redesign an outfit mixing fantasy and Blizzard template. It will still follow the basic guidelines of gear for a mut rogue, leather and daggers. The problem is that nothing in the game will look like it, instead it will look like it should be in game and lives in the same world. Is that allowed?

Thank you for your help,
Treksavvy

Michi
05-05-2013, 06:06 PM
I'm a little confused as to what you're asking. Are you asking if it's okay to modify a costume and add original touches to it? It totally is okay. Cosplay is your own effort, and your money and time. That means you should make and do things however you want if it makes you happy.

Irarenovo
05-06-2013, 06:37 PM
"allowed" is kind of subjective

are you "allowed" to enter the cosplay contest with it? probably not

are you "allowed" to walk around with a pile of leather taped to your body and call it cosplay? i dont see why not... noone will start throwing their tacos at you[if you didnt know, the nearest food is a taco stand outside..!]

I dont think anyone will really call you out and say OMG YOU DIDNT MAKE TIER 2!! YOURE TERRIBLE, but cosplaying anything that is original designed always has the downfall of not being recognizable, and so you might not get as many compliments.

but allowed? hell yea, and post pics D:

Reformed Tomboy
05-06-2013, 09:31 PM
"allowed" is kind of subjective

are you "allowed" to enter the cosplay contest with it? probably not

You can absolutely enter the contest with a Blizzard-inspired costume that does not exist in game. I did, and to some success.

Pyoska
05-07-2013, 03:22 PM
Like Reformed, I have entered the BlizzCon costume contest with an original cosplay inspired by Blizzard IP... and won! I took second place in the costume contest in 2007 with my original Diablo 2 Assassin cosplay! There are images up here under my costumes as well as on my Facebook page. The link is in my signature. Can't wait to see what you come up with!