PDA

View Full Version : Toku Cosplayers...ASSEMBLE!

tokyobarnrat
05-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Hi guys, just wanted to see if any of you wanted to post some of your cosplays and share with the community...and if we have a community....

My costumes are in the works, I plan on doing rule 63 Gokai Red and RJ from Jungle Fury, as well as Wizzard at some point....

RJ is going to be the least difficult, Gokai Red will be....alright to get done, and Wizzard's gonna be the hardest mainly because I'm putting the most attention to detail in W's outfit.

Anyone else care to share? Man, I feel like we're in Tokusatsu Group Therapy or something....

Darkaus001
05-18-2013, 02:45 AM
I would be more than happy to obliged :)

tokyobarnrat
05-23-2013, 01:59 PM
We seriously need to have more Toku stuff.

Felidae Pounce
06-19-2013, 01:58 AM
Miss America from Battle Fever J is currently in the works to debut at Otakon in August along with Yellow Ninjetti Ranger for this upcoming fall and GekiYellow for early next year

SuzuStarlight
07-01-2013, 03:16 PM
I planned to do Go-On Yellow/Saki from Go-Onger next year and maybe I can get GoseiPink/Eri from Goseiger done by next year as well. As for the rest, I haven't decided, but I've planned to do some more Sentai Cosplay next year ^^

EDIT: I decided to make my first Sentai Cosplay this year already, as I have one spare week of free time (I need help for my next cos, so I can't start it until my mum's here next week). So I thought I needed something easy and thus (even though she has been cosplayed a bit too much by the female Super Sentai fans imho) I decided on Luka Millfy. There aren't many Sentai cosplayers here in Germany, so I guess it will still be kinda unique :D

Moon Prince
07-27-2013, 05:35 PM
Toku, and Power Rangers. I am not a 'snob' when it come to PR vs Sentai.. I don't like some of the PR shows but it is what it is and brought me back to the world of Sentai... that and the Sailor Moon Musicals.

I currently have made a Gao Yellow jacket, Jasmine's uniform (deka), Naoto's uniform (time), a Trini's "Clean Up Club" shirt, a "Angel Grove Sweepers" shirt, and a Jungle Karma Pizza uniform.
I also have made a SPD red jacket for one of my nieces for Halloween.

I also have an official Bandai Bouken Pink jacket, a fan made Captain Marvelous coat and vest (Gokai), and a Bouken Pink suit.

I have in the works King from the Kyoryuger... although I might do Dr Ulshade because I love the actor and he does a voice in my fave anime of all time Patlabor.

I love that more females are getting into Toku cosplay. don't see to many female characters. I don't mind the 'crossplay' either. Females dressing as males. Heck I do it. Tuxedo Kamen being my first and most of my past non toku cosplays have bee male looking females... I am sorry in advance if you are a part of this group, but what I do have a problem with is the so-called 'gender-bent' cosplay. To me, most of what I've seen looks like just it's excuse for "t & a" and is an insult to the character.

SuzuStarlight
07-27-2013, 05:56 PM
Yay, another Fan of both Myu and Super Sentai :D

I had a great time in my Luka Cosplay yesterday (gonna wear it again tomorrow) and funnily enough, I even met another Luka! :D Can't wait to wear even more Toku Cosplays from now on <3

EDIT: Wore my Luka cosplay again (love~) and I got asked by a friend if I'd like to be the Yellow Ranger from Mighty Morphin and join the group (they had all except for yellow). Though I'm not 100% sure as I don't really remember MM and am more into Sentai than Power Rangers, I'll still consider it. And, as you may see in my signature, I also thought of doing Saki's G3 princess outfit from Go-Onger. If I can get my legs in shape, that is xD)

Skeletoast
07-30-2013, 04:52 PM
Since I'm lazy but still want to cosplay (or do SOMETHING) from Kamen Rider, lol, I'm trying to do my own thing currently. Like right now I'm working on some character hoodies and I think I'll make a few helmets without going as far as making entire suits/etc.
I just want to wear things to cons that scream HI I LIKE TOKU!! in the hopes that other fans will approach me xD

Helmets/things in the works:
Meteor, Amazon, X, OOO

Felidae Pounce
07-30-2013, 08:18 PM
cosplay update: miss america (battle fever j), gokai yellow (gokaiger), and secret super sentai cosplay for otakon ^^

SuzuStarlight
07-30-2013, 08:41 PM
Can't wait to see all your new cosplays, felidae! Especially Miss America!

And Skeletoast: That's just what I feel like as well atm!

Moon Prince
07-31-2013, 07:48 AM
I forgot about Toxica/Duke Argh Tsue Tsue. I made that for Power Morphicon 2. I walked around with a friend who was dressed in a Gao White suit.. We met Jessica Rey who played Alyssa in Wild Force.

(OT: yes, myu and sentai. :D I hosted a panel at AX about SeraMyu and had a what else have they done segment and showed some sentai clips.)

Yay! Miss America. I have always want to do that because it's kind of odd.

SuzuStarlight
07-31-2013, 11:51 AM
I wish I could also just go and meet actors on a con, but here in Germany, we only have anime cons, so we rarely get to see Toku-related people here. Though Hironobu Kageyama (and pretty much the rest of JAM Project) were pretty amazed that there was people in Germany who knew Super Sentai, especially the older seasons. ^^

Btw. felidae, do you make your helmets yourself? If so, would you mind telling us how you do it?

EDIT: Posted some photos of my Luka cosplay. Hope you like it ^^

SuzuStarlight
08-09-2013, 12:50 PM
Update: So as I wanted to have another Cosplay for Connichi in September and didn't want to bring my old Sailor Moon and Disney stuff, I'm throwing stuff together for a very spontaneous Kotoha (Shinken Yellow), as I now have a Shodophone and don't want to wear Luka 3 days in a row. And I don't have time to sew :/
And Luka got some upgrades ^^

yaybit
09-05-2013, 03:27 AM
uwu I just recently got back into Super Sentai and I really want to cosplay ShinkenRed but ughhgitgfhd wearing skin-tight cosplay definitely shows off womanly curves, no matter how much you try to bind and stuff.
I might either just stick to doing Shiba Takeru in normal clothes or even Kaoru as ShinkenRed.

Also, shodophones are so expensive x_x

SuzuStarlight
09-06-2013, 04:15 PM
I think Hime Shinken Red would be pretty cool ;)
Ah yeah, the prices really suck these days if you want to get merch from the older seasons. Though my friends who were in Japan lately said that it was a whole lot cheaper there :/ But hey, at least the Shodophone isn't as expensive as the Tensouder X_X I still need a Magiphone, which is also very hard to get these days. The only affordable merch is that of the current season, Kyoryuger and the Go-Busters stuff (because Go-Busters was really unpopular).

Speaking of Kyoryuger, we'll have a small Kyoryuger group at Leipzig bookfair next year, consisting of Daigo, Ian and Yayoi (me). ~Excited (((o(*゚▽゚*)o)))~

eddietai78
09-06-2013, 09:55 PM
I'll be going as dyna blue from kagaku sentai dynaman. It won't look exactly like the one on the tv show. I don't like the gloves or boots. The side arm (gun) will be different too. Can't find an original weapon from the show. Also looking for a helmet. Was going to buy from cosplay house, but they've gotten mixed reviews. Any suggestions? I don't want a helmet kit. Hope I don't piss off cosplayers by making changes to the costume.

SuzuStarlight
09-09-2013, 11:42 AM
Oh wow, Dynaman! That's surely one rare season to chose :)
Don't worry, a few changes are okay. Of course there will always be people who complain, but in the end YOU have to like it because YOU are the one wearing it. ^^

For helmets, most people around usually suggested Aniki Cosplay, if I remember correctly. He also has a facebook page. Maybe someone can help out here?
I never bothered because I'm too proud and too stingy for commisioning :P

anotherIronman
10-25-2013, 05:57 PM
Oh wow, Dynaman! That's surely one rare season to chose :)
Don't worry, a few changes are okay. Of course there will always be people who complain, but in the end YOU have to like it because YOU are the one wearing it. ^^

For helmets, most people around usually suggested Aniki Cosplay, if I remember correctly. He also has a facebook page. Maybe someone can help out here?
I never bothered because I'm too proud and too stingy for commisioning :P
You should find him easily by googling the keyword aniki cosplay. Other than aniki there was anders..(maybe it should be anderson or something...I forget his name sorry) back then when I was still with aniki cosplay this guy so called "anders" was making great costumes. A bit more expensive but he was making top class quality costumes.

Felidae Pounce
11-11-2013, 09:23 PM
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=219780294854525&set=pb.109817102517512.-2207520000.1384222969.&type=3&theater

work in progress

Shiftercat
12-12-2013, 02:47 AM
Hi! This is my very first post here, and to be honest, this is slightly terrifying, since I've been living in a lovely little bubble where I have had no contact with either the costuming/cosplaying community at large (at least not in years), nor the toku fandom outside my household (ever). It isn't something I ever thought I'd like (toku, that is, not costuming, I've done that for years, but stopped for a few for a number of personal reasons), yet here I am, feeling fannish about something for the first time in a long time and that has always meant one thing for me...

Costumes!

My toku fandom vector has thus far been Wizard -> Kyoryuger -> Kiva, and I could see myself doing cosplay from ANY of them. Actually, I already put together (with much sweat and tears and as always, thanks to slips of pins, blood) a Daigo vest from Kyoruger... and wore it with some thrown together other bits to assemble the outfit (roughly) for Halloween, seeing as how my sewing machine chose nearly the exact moment I finished top stitching to promptly and spectacularly die. (It was not a good machine.) I am now waiting for my new machine to arrive (an early Christmas present), which has got caught in a shipping snafu, which is probably the ONLY reason the crocheted Christmas presents I'm making are getting done, since otherwise I would be making SOMETHING costumey.

Of course, I cannot quite decide what to actually make. I think (and this feels traitorous to my first love, Wizard), I love Kiva the best, and the itch is on to do something. (I have not, incidentally, quite made it to the end of the series yet, I'm about 8 episodes away, so...)

Anyway, I do not know if I "count", yet. I've not finished anything properly (thank you, old sewing machine, for dying JUST when I started sewing again!), and I only have forty jillion ideas on my head, all of which are only quarter to half formed at best, but I have every intention of being a toku cosplayer, and it is probably going to get me to venture into Anime Expo for the first time ever. I hear there's some stuff there.

Honestly, I'm thinking I ought to go as Wataru from Kiva... then when I hide behind my partner and let him 'social tank' for me, it's just in character. (Early in the series, anyways...)

So... hello! I am long winded. Sorry!

aethernity
12-14-2013, 08:35 AM
So I'm pretty new to cosplay, and you cannot imagine my relief when I found this thread because Super Sentai is the reason why I'm interested in cosplay \o/ It's actually always been a bucket-list item, but I never got around to actually getting something done about cosplaying a character until Kyoryuger.

My little foray into the toku fandom began with Dekaranger after I watched it on a whim four years ago, and ever since then I've covered everything since Hurricaneger with the exception of Abaranger, Gekiranger, Goseiger (I watched a bit, but dropped it halfway due to a lack of time irl and never got back to it) and Go-Busters. Right now, I'm following Kyoryuger ^^

I've never cosplayed before, honestly, but I'm currently working on Ian Yorkland (Kyoryuger - Kyoryu Black)'s civillian clothing with lots of help from cosplayers I know, and with any luck I'll be able to go for a cosplay convention next year in that costume! (Even though I'm really not sure just how many Super Sentai fans there are in Singapore, I'm going to go there and just be in my own world unless approached haha all for the experience, I suppose!)

So...let's chat? :D

Shiftercat
12-14-2013, 03:10 PM
You know, aethernity, I briefly thought about Ian, but that jacket intimidates me! (Most jackets do, honestly.) I've seen pics of a few good ones, so I know it's possible. Unfortunately, I don't know who did them, so I couldn't point you toward anybody for help. :(

I'm much, much newer to the fandom than you are. Probably newer to it than most people on this thread, actually...

aethernity
12-15-2013, 04:23 AM
You know, aethernity, I briefly thought about Ian, but that jacket intimidates me! (Most jackets do, honestly.) I've seen pics of a few good ones, so I know it's possible. Unfortunately, I don't know who did them, so I couldn't point you toward anybody for help. :(

I'm much, much newer to the fandom than you are. Probably newer to it than most people on this thread, actually...

I'm still thinking about what to do for the jacket! Either I'll get the actual jacket from Bandai Fashion itself, or I'll just give up and get any other biker jacket that looks similar (but less cool D: ). I'm trying to make most of Ian's accessories, though! (Guy has two rings, one necklace, that chain by his hip, AND a bracelet grrrrrr even Amy has fewer things on her) I thought I'd start from something small, and go from there - maybe some other time I'll try cosplaying someone else XD

It's great to meet you! Don't worry about being new to the toku fandom, most people are friendly :) I haven't been very active in the toku fandom either, at least not in the forums - I'm in the fanfiction half of fandom most of the time XD

Seems like there aren't many other people still active on this part of the forum, unfortunately, but that's okay. :D It's nice to meet you!

Shiftercat
12-16-2013, 03:55 AM
I'm trying to make most of Ian's accessories, though! (Guy has two rings, one necklace, that chain by his hip, AND a bracelet grrrrrr even Amy has fewer things on her) I thought I'd start from something small, and go from there - maybe some other time I'll try cosplaying someone else XD

I can't say as I've examined Ian in quite enough detail to notice all those bits, though I've taken a fair inventory of Daigo's accessories (which I still haven't finished assembling... got distracted by Kiva....). I'm pretty decent with jewelry and the like, but rings I'd probably try to buy lookalikes, because that usually requires casting, which I know the principles of, but don't have the materials or space to try. (Or money, if it comes to that.)

Hadn't thought about buying the jacket... for the fabric bits of costumes I usually think of sewing it up or butchering something found at a thrift store! Most of the jacket stuff I've done has been fairly minor alterations on thrift store finds after tearing my hair out over patterns that are a bit beyond my means. I'm filled with (probably false) confidence these days though, I feel like I can tackle some harder things.

As I am suddenly realizing how very many things I am planning lately, and wondering where the time, energy and money is coming from... oh well! I will get done what I can in time to nervously edge my way into the con in July!

Nice to meet you, too! It's true, it doesn't seem all that active here, at least at the moment, sadly..

aethernity
12-17-2013, 05:49 AM
I can't say as I've examined Ian in quite enough detail to notice all those bits, though I've taken a fair inventory of Daigo's accessories (which I still haven't finished assembling... got distracted by Kiva....). I'm pretty decent with jewelry and the like, but rings I'd probably try to buy lookalikes, because that usually requires casting, which I know the principles of, but don't have the materials or space to try. (Or money, if it comes to that.)

Hadn't thought about buying the jacket... for the fabric bits of costumes I usually think of sewing it up or butchering something found at a thrift store! Most of the jacket stuff I've done has been fairly minor alterations on thrift store finds after tearing my hair out over patterns that are a bit beyond my means. I'm filled with (probably false) confidence these days though, I feel like I can tackle some harder things.

As I am suddenly realizing how very many things I am planning lately, and wondering where the time, energy and money is coming from... oh well! I will get done what I can in time to nervously edge my way into the con in July!

Nice to meet you, too! It's true, it doesn't seem all that active here, at least at the moment, sadly..

I've never done casting for cosplay before, but I've worked with materials and so I'm giving it a try! Unfortunately the jacket, if i DO buy it, is going to take up half my budget (20000 yen on the official site...), and that's why I don't intend to simply get the official replicas of the accessories from Bandai. There's also the problem of a fairly simple necklace being sold for 14000 yen, which I am...not willing to pay XD

There's a con in July here in Singapore (if I haven't gotten the date wrong OTL), and I'm trying to see if I can make it for that one, AND if there's anyone I can go with haha I'm a bit intimidated by the thought of going for a con myself >.<

Shiftercat
12-17-2013, 04:33 PM
I've never done casting for cosplay before, but I've worked with materials and so I'm giving it a try! Unfortunately the jacket, if i DO buy it, is going to take up half my budget (20000 yen on the official site...), and that's why I don't intend to simply get the official replicas of the accessories from Bandai. There's also the problem of a fairly simple necklace being sold for 14000 yen, which I am...not willing to pay XD

There's a con in July here in Singapore (if I haven't gotten the date wrong OTL), and I'm trying to see if I can make it for that one, AND if there's anyone I can go with haha I'm a bit intimidated by the thought of going for a con myself >.<

Okay, that is a heck of a lot of zeros on those prices. After converting it to currency I'm more familiar with though, for a leather jacket (assuming they actually used leather, that is, and that may be a big assumption), that's not TOO outrageous, really. Of course, my one and only leather jacket I got at a thrift store for about $15USD, but if one were buying new, $200USD isn't out of the usual at all. Again, that's making the assumption they haven't cut costs and used vinyl or something as a substitute. Since it's a custom/specialty product, I'm kind of thinking it would be more if they DID use leather, but I don't really know.

On the other hand, $140USD for a necklace just makes me choke. It'd better be real silver and gold for that! But since I make jewelry, I just can't see paying that much for any piece of it pretty much ever. (Unless, as mentioned, it does have genuine, expensive materials in it.) I'm not at the moment finding pictures of his necklace easily - everything I see has it tucked in under his shirt, so you could really pretty much wear anything, I'd think, and just wear it like that. (I did, however, find a fantastic closeup of Daigo's necklace that ought to help ME out! Oh resin casting, how you scare me, but still...)

That's so funny that you and I both have cons in July, that we've never been to, that we're nervous about attending, and have costumes from Kyoryuger! (Though I'm doing the others from Kiva as well, but still!) Are there message boards or something for the con you're going to? Maybe you can meet people who are going before you get there. When it gets closer to time, I'm going to see if I can find a few people headed to the con I'm attending... but I'll still be nervous. I always am in new social situations.

aethernity
12-18-2013, 04:02 AM
Okay, that is a heck of a lot of zeros on those prices. After converting it to currency I'm more familiar with though, for a leather jacket (assuming they actually used leather, that is, and that may be a big assumption), that's not TOO outrageous, really. Of course, my one and only leather jacket I got at a thrift store for about $15USD, but if one were buying new, $200USD isn't out of the usual at all. Again, that's making the assumption they haven't cut costs and used vinyl or something as a substitute. Since it's a custom/specialty product, I'm kind of thinking it would be more if they DID use leather, but I don't really know.

On the other hand, $140USD for a necklace just makes me choke. It'd better be real silver and gold for that! But since I make jewelry, I just can't see paying that much for any piece of it pretty much ever. (Unless, as mentioned, it does have genuine, expensive materials in it.) I'm not at the moment finding pictures of his necklace easily - everything I see has it tucked in under his shirt, so you could really pretty much wear anything, I'd think, and just wear it like that. (I did, however, find a fantastic closeup of Daigo's necklace that ought to help ME out! Oh resin casting, how you scare me, but still...)

That's so funny that you and I both have cons in July, that we've never been to, that we're nervous about attending, and have costumes from Kyoryuger! (Though I'm doing the others from Kiva as well, but still!) Are there message boards or something for the con you're going to? Maybe you can meet people who are going before you get there. When it gets closer to time, I'm going to see if I can find a few people headed to the con I'm attending... but I'll still be nervous. I always am in new social situations.

Agreed! I'm fine with buying the jacket, but the accessories are ridiculously expensive :( so... If you do need reference pictures, the Bandai Fashion website (http://search-fn.p-bandai.jp/?lang=ja&page=1&q=&C1=c00010501) (where I'm getting some of my stuff haha) has decent pictures of everything Daigo's worn on the show, accessories and all! It's in Japanese, but I think the pictures should be more than enough XD

Indeed! I've actually given up hope when it comes to finding people to go with - the Sentai fandom is ridiculously small here in Singapore :( I'll probably just go in costume and see if people notice, but if they don't, then I'll just be there for the atmosphere, and be in my own little world (wouldn't be the first time XD)

Shiftercat
12-20-2013, 08:23 PM
Agreed! I'm fine with buying the jacket, but the accessories are ridiculously expensive :( so... If you do need reference pictures, the Bandai Fashion website (http://search-fn.p-bandai.jp/?lang=ja&page=1&q=&C1=c00010501) (where I'm getting some of my stuff haha) has decent pictures of everything Daigo's worn on the show, accessories and all! It's in Japanese, but I think the pictures should be more than enough XD

Indeed! I've actually given up hope when it comes to finding people to go with - the Sentai fandom is ridiculously small here in Singapore :( I'll probably just go in costume and see if people notice, but if they don't, then I'll just be there for the atmosphere, and be in my own little world (wouldn't be the first time XD)

I think I can actually help you out a bit with this... thanks to Chrome's translate I stumbled my way to Ian's page to look at his stuff. The necklace is really just an engraved dog tag, and you can get dog tags engraved online for stupid cheap. (Shipping to Singapore, not sure how much that would run you.) If you can basically create a black and white image file of the design on it, I think you could get it done for way less than they're asking. Even on eBay there are a bunch of folks who'll do engraving for you: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/photo-engraved-dog-tag

I think you could come in, even with shipping, at at LEAST half the price of what Bandai wants for it, and even if you don't get the design spot on, you could get it real close.

And for chain and all the clips and stuff, I'd recommend Fire Mountain Gems: http://www.firemountaingems.com/shopping.asp?skw=KWCHAINBULKALUM

There's their aluminum chains. I'd just go with that, I mean, it comes in silver finish and gunmetal, you might want to mix the two and get a couple sizes of chain for some visual interest...as far as the dog tag chain goes, http://www.firemountaingems.com/itemdetails/H202150CH that one might be a decent match at a reasonable price. You'll need some clips and clasps and things but they have those too. I know they do international orders, but I can't speak to the shipping costs. You might want to have a wander through their ring section too to see what they've got right now that might be a decent match and save yourself some trouble.

And I'm surprised at how well I managed to do at replicating things so far for Daigo without closeups like that. The "wallet chain" type thing actually turned out pretty close. I'd probably do it over if I have a chance though... need some yellow leather dye. I actually HAVE leather, but not yellow. Or I guess if the dye is too much, maybe a scrap of yellow leather isn't that much. I'll see. I haven't had any success finding red glass beads that match those sort of barrel ones though, at least not yet.

Going in costume and hoping people notice is kind of my plan, too! How funny. Although I do hope to meet at least a couple of people online before I go... but we'll see.

aethernity
12-29-2013, 04:29 AM
I think I can actually help you out a bit with this... thanks to Chrome's translate I stumbled my way to Ian's page to look at his stuff. The necklace is really just an engraved dog tag, and you can get dog tags engraved online for stupid cheap. (Shipping to Singapore, not sure how much that would run you.) If you can basically create a black and white image file of the design on it, I think you could get it done for way less than they're asking. Even on eBay there are a bunch of folks who'll do engraving for you: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/photo-engraved-dog-tag

I think you could come in, even with shipping, at at LEAST half the price of what Bandai wants for it, and even if you don't get the design spot on, you could get it real close.

And for chain and all the clips and stuff, I'd recommend Fire Mountain Gems: http://www.firemountaingems.com/shopping.asp?skw=KWCHAINBULKALUM

There's their aluminum chains. I'd just go with that, I mean, it comes in silver finish and gunmetal, you might want to mix the two and get a couple sizes of chain for some visual interest...as far as the dog tag chain goes, http://www.firemountaingems.com/itemdetails/H202150CH that one might be a decent match at a reasonable price. You'll need some clips and clasps and things but they have those too. I know they do international orders, but I can't speak to the shipping costs. You might want to have a wander through their ring section too to see what they've got right now that might be a decent match and save yourself some trouble.

And I'm surprised at how well I managed to do at replicating things so far for Daigo without closeups like that. The "wallet chain" type thing actually turned out pretty close. I'd probably do it over if I have a chance though... need some yellow leather dye. I actually HAVE leather, but not yellow. Or I guess if the dye is too much, maybe a scrap of yellow leather isn't that much. I'll see. I haven't had any success finding red glass beads that match those sort of barrel ones though, at least not yet.

Going in costume and hoping people notice is kind of my plan, too! How funny. Although I do hope to meet at least a couple of people online before I go... but we'll see.

Happy holidays everyone!

My goodness, you're a lifesaver \o/ Thank you so much! I'll go check out those places :) While on holiday in a foreign country, I managed to find a ring that's somewhat similar to Ian's, so I'm pretty much done with that. The chains and the necklace, though, I'm still looking for, and local craft shops aren't very easy to find or navigate here :( I'll go take a look at those sites! It's certainly going to be cheaper than ordering from Bandai Fashion, what with the astronomical costs and shipping and middleman fees. :/

That's great to hear! It's quite amazing that you've managed to replicate Daigo's accessories. If only I had such skills... XD

All the best with finding people to go with for your convention! I will...try to find people in my country to go with... /cries/ I know there are Shinkenger and Gokaiger fans, but so far I've only met one other Kyoryuger fan. :( Ah, the downsides of having a small fandom in a small country...

SuzuStarlight
01-05-2014, 06:44 AM
Ohhhh, new members in this thread! Welcome to you guys!
Haven't been online for a while due to technical problems and lack of time. It's great to see more Toku-Fans around. And YAY for Kyoryuger-Fans :D

As for the few fans, going on forums might help you. The Toku-Fandom, especially for the Japanese versions is also extremely small here in Germany, but I got lucky on a forum, where I also met my current boyfriend, whom I always talk about Kamen Rider and Super Sentai and we also plan to cosplay together.
Up next we'll have a small Kyoryuger group with me as Yayoi, my boyfriend as Ian, Ucchi and (hopefully) Daigo. Also, if things work out, we'll do Terui and Akiko in their wedding outfits from W and OOO Movie Taisen Core for my birthday (which is the Sunday of my favorite Con).

Shiftercat
01-05-2014, 06:06 PM
Happy holidays everyone!

My goodness, you're a lifesaver \o/ Thank you so much! I'll go check out those places :) While on holiday in a foreign country, I managed to find a ring that's somewhat similar to Ian's, so I'm pretty much done with that. The chains and the necklace, though, I'm still looking for, and local craft shops aren't very easy to find or navigate here :( I'll go take a look at those sites! It's certainly going to be cheaper than ordering from Bandai Fashion, what with the astronomical costs and shipping and middleman fees. :/

That's great to hear! It's quite amazing that you've managed to replicate Daigo's accessories. If only I had such skills... XD

All the best with finding people to go with for your convention! I will...try to find people in my country to go with... /cries/ I know there are Shinkenger and Gokaiger fans, but so far I've only met one other Kyoryuger fan. :( Ah, the downsides of having a small fandom in a small country...

No problem! I've put together a few costumes in my time. I've learned a few resources. Since I'm notoriously camera-shy, however, there exists very little photo record of these things!

Oh man, I dunno what I'd do in a place without craft shops. Seriously. I practically visit one of the three chains here (Joann's, Michael's and Hobby Lobby) every week. In fact, I may go today. I do all sorts of crafts, it's actually kind of ridiculous. And yes, ANYTHING is cheaper than Bandai Fashion... jesus christ. I could not BELIEVE the prices on some of those things! Just a note, it looks like Ian's jacket from them is indeed faux leather, not real, (at least, from what I get from translating the page?) so their price is definitely high on that. However, it would probably cost you that if not more to commission it if you don't sew, and nearly that much to sew it yourself if you had to do a lot of test, alter and adjust, so you might as well get it from them.

As far as skills... Daigo's stuff isn't really that complicated, accessory-wise, except for a bit of leatherwork (I need to revisit that cuff now that I've seen it up close) and what should be some resin casting (for the necklace). I only have a faux-amber pre-made bead for the necklace at the moment, and it does not (obviously) have the tooth inside. I would like to TRY to cast something, but I've never worked with resin, and it tends to be a bit expensive to get going.. anyway, what I'm saying is I don't think my skills are that special, but then I always say that and people are always telling me I'm wrong? I'm not trying to humble-brag here either, because seriously, there are many many many people who are WAY BETTER at anything I do than I am. I just know enough of lots of things to scrap stuff together in a way that looks okay most of the time.

Also, I had a TON of help from my mother with the vest. I do sew, don't get me wrong, but I had NEVER altered a pattern like that before. I'm hoping that I learned enough to be able to alter the denim jacket pattern I bought for my Wataru (from Kamen Rider Kiva) costume...all they had was women's patterns... I think all I need to do is straighten out the lines so it doesn't have a bust shape to it. But I think I'll only know once I put together the muslin version to test my alteration. We shall see.

Sorry for the delayed response... had a major life crisis I've been having to deal with, haven't had any time for myself lately. Won't get into it, but just FYI, replies may be slow, dunno if it's settling down yet or not.

SuzuStarlight
01-06-2014, 05:21 PM
Also, I had a TON of help from my mother with the vest. I do sew, don't get me wrong, but I had NEVER altered a pattern like that before. I'm hoping that I learned enough to be able to alter the denim jacket pattern I bought for my Wataru (from Kamen Rider Kiva) costume...all they had was women's patterns... I think all I need to do is straighten out the lines so it doesn't have a bust shape to it. But I think I'll only know once I put together the muslin version to test my alteration. We shall see..

As long as it's your size, women's patterns should be fine. Not all of them have the lines to shape bust and hip, depend's on the pattern, really. Usually, those which actually do that have special seams in the middle of each side front.
Altering a pattern for Wataru should be easy though, he does wear rather simple clothing. Sentai Jackets are usually much worse. I remember my Gekiranger cosplay... so much details and different colors to cut out ;_;

As for Ian, we decided on getting a regular leather jacket with a similar look. Though it would also be a possibility to use his summer jacket...

Shiftercat
01-06-2014, 07:10 PM
Wataru's clothes are MERCIFULLY simple. That vest for Daigo was deceptively COMPLICATED... it's a long story. It took weeks. Anyway. The jacket pattern does go up to an 18, for women, and although I haven't measured yet (the pattern was on sale, so did I do it then? no, even if it was sensible..), I think I can't be more than an 18, really. (Girth wise? Probably close... but then I'm going to have to adjust everything for height because I always do since I'm short.) It DOES have some bust/waist shaping... the outer edge seams are a little curved, and there's seams that go down the front which... isn't show accurate I don't think but maybe I can take 'em out once I do a muslin of it, since they are only there to add another curve which I will straighten.

What I really am having trouble with, for him isn't the jacket, or the red pants (or the purple pants or the maroon pants... what is it with the riders I like and red pants? Haruto wears 'em too in Wizard..) or even the combat boot style shoes although finding them in my size is going to be... trying. (Short guy with small feet.) The scarf is giving me slight trouble in that I need to find the right dyes to tie dye the red/orange one he wears a lot (that nobody else seems to notice is a frequent scarf? Am I too obsessive now?), but that's still not the problem. No, it's the shirt. Wataru wears some fabulous tees that have nonsense English all over them. (In fact, there is one that has English words literally ALL OVER IT but we cannot make out all of them and nothing we can makes any sense.) Firstly, the style is different from what I'm used to finding - all the necks are cut lower in more of a ... do they call that a 'boatneck'? It's not a standard tee neck. Secondly, the print... how the heck am I going to manage something like it? Where does one buy these shirts if one is 6 years late and in the wrong country? (Although the actual things are probably some like, couture line that I could never afford... surely there are normal tees like it?) I don't suppose you have ideas....

Also I need a wig. With regrettably early thinning hair and flat hair to begin with, even IF I was willing to grow it out, it's never going to be doing what his hair is doing. I've never done a wig before, ever. No idea how to go about this and so far all the wigs I'm finding are really anime type deals not 'real person' styles. (His hair is not, for example, bright blue with pigtails.) Oh, and the makeup for the sort of tattoo things that crawl up his face when he henshins (because they are awesome and also then it looks like a costume and not... street clothes). The only problem there is that my skin is ASTOUNDINGLY oily and I'm afraid everything I can get will dissolve in .5 seconds. I've been to the dermatologist... the acne's under control now... but I'm still oily as all getout. And the last time I did costume makeup was before the oil kicked in, so I can't resort to what I used to do! Argh!

Anyway, the alterations on the jacket shouldn't be TOO bad. (Famous last words...) Once I get the house settled here, I can set up the new sewing machine I've been waiting for. Then I can really get to work on this. And I might even have a way to obtain a Kivat driver... trying not to get my hopes up.

SuzuStarlight
01-25-2014, 08:11 AM
Sorry for the late reply. Was awfully busy with university these days.

The curvy lines might also be lines to adjust the thing more to the body shape. There's straight jackets and those that are a bit tighter around the waist. I don't know which one yours is, but trying is sometimes the best thing to do ^^

As for the T-Shirt, have you tried going for shirts that are made for women? As you're short, it might be possible to find the suitable neck with girly cuts. For the print, look for something similar or paint it yourself. For my Kotoha cosplay, I used a similar, older T-Shirt and just repainted the faded writing. I think for stuff like that you can't be 100% show accurate, but at least get close to it. As for shoes... I can't help you with that, sadly, because shoes are my biggest problem as well. Getting affordable ones in the right form and size... I hate it. I'll have to go with bootcovers for Yayoi :/

I'd recommend not to look for cosplay wigs, but for regular wigs, like everyday people wigs. Try entering "wig short brown" on amazon. I'm usually lucky with finding wigs there.
For the make up thing, this is kinda tricky. But there is different kinds of make up for different skin types. I'd suggest you go ask the dermatologist for help, maybe he's got ideas. Or ask in a shop that sells that kind of make up.

Good look on the Driver buying. I guess I'm gonna go with the Triple Henshin Belt, but it's just for my collection anyway.

Shiftercat
01-26-2014, 03:46 AM
As for the T-Shirt, have you tried going for shirts that are made for women? As you're short, it might be possible to find the suitable neck with girly cuts. ...As for shoes... I can't help you with that, sadly, because shoes are my biggest problem as well. Getting affordable ones in the right form and size... I hate it. I'll have to go with bootcovers for Yayoi :/

...Good look on the Driver buying. I guess I'm gonna go with the Triple Henshin Belt, but it's just for my collection anyway.

I'd probably have to alter a tee made for women, they tend to have high arm holes and short sleeves and are cut in a curve. Usually. I actually can obtain the right cut from an import site... it just would be nice to find one that's just covered in writing. I'm not actually going for exact show accuracy - in fact, I have yet to see/check if Wataru actually wears all the pieces I'm making in any episode at the same time, since what I'm more going for is "hey, these are all things that 'say' Wataru to me, out of his wardrobe, since he actually doesn't wear the same clothes every day". I'm not quite THAT much of a stickler for pure accuracy. Just the feel of things. More like I went and stole from his closet than tried to imitate an episode as seen on screen!

Oh, and the jacket? Finally found a men's pattern. I'm ordering that instead of fooling around with altering things. I'll just work on the other stuff before the jacket, that's all. It's not like I've had the energy to make progress lately anyway...

Shoes are a nightmare. I should look at boy's shoes, probably. I buy boy's socks. Confession of the day! Lol. The boy's shoes just tend to be a tiny bit too small at the largest sizes, but then men's, I have to go to only certain stores or they don't go down small ENOUGH. Depending on whether we're talking dress shoes or sneakers, wide or regular width, and when and what brand I'm buying, I wear anywhere between a 6 and a 7 1/2. Usually 6 1/2 or 7, but it can range out that far either way. In other words: shoes do not exist for me. And combat boot types? Oh good LUCK. I haven't even TRIED yet.

Since you say Yayoi and not "Violet", I'm assuming you're going for the not-in-suit look? A brief look at her boots (Yes, I do watch Kyoryuger... no, I didn't pay attention to her boots...) says "painted rain boots" to me, and those I think can be found in most sizes and I didn't think were too expensive? Maybe I'm wrong. I've never shopped for those before!

Through a series of extremely unfortunate life events all around, the good news is I had some money given to me to "get something fun" as a consolation, and was thus able to snag what was at the time the cheapest Kivat on Ebay. Well, on the web, so far as I could tell, and no, not by a large margin, as they all have been running pretty close in price. I do not have him in hand yet, but as of his last tracking scan he had made it from Hong Kong to California, so now he just needs to wend his way down the state to me. Which with my luck will now take 3 times as long as it took to get across the entire pacific ocean. Fingers crossed. Once he's here (for Kivat, somehow it seems wrong to just be "it", a "belt", he's... a character), I'll be delving into the process of adding a belt extension to my Kivat belt and to my partner's Fourze driver. Based on my inspection of the Fourze driver, it looks easy enough. Unscrew three screws, insert belting of your choice, mark screw locations, create screw holes, screw new belt into bracket. Based on my inspection of Kivat extensions on eBay, it's just like that for that one too. I saw the triple Henshin belt. Almost went with it. Probably should have! But I'm just such a fanboy I wanted the full deal, despite in normal life being utterly unable to justify spending that sort of money on a toy.

So now I'm struggling with trying to come up with money and then justify using it for Wizard's driver and the IXA driver... Did manage to snag a whole pile of Wizard rings secondhand without packaging for 3/$10(US). Course, no idea if they work unless I get a driver, but hey, they'll fill out a holster for cosplay at any rate.

As to wigs... been looking. Have concerns about my ability to style the thing once I've got something close-ish in hand. I have concerns in general as I've never done a wig before!

And as I will have to visit the dermatologist again for other things, perhaps I can ask her about the oil. It does kind of drive me insane just in general, cosplay makeup concerns aside, because I just feel dirty all the time. Maybe there's a solution that isn't one of the more awful drugs you can take. I don't think, for example, that Accutane would be a great idea for me for a few reasons. But surely oily skin isn't a huge deal to a professional, I hope.

SuzuStarlight
02-02-2014, 06:19 AM
Ah yeah, the covered in writing thing might be an issue... Maybe it didn't appear to me as one as most women's shirts in stores here have tons of nonsensical writing on them. My mum used to wear these a lot, haha. But I see what you're getting at. To me, this all sounded so much like somtething I've seen on Wataru at some point, I didn't even realize it was pretty much improvisation xD So I guess you're on the right track.

Well, good that you found another pattern. What fabrics will you use? I mostly remember him wearing jeans jacktes, but that's quite hard to sew...

If that helps you in any way, buying shoes is horrible even if you have the average sizes. My shoe size is so average, that mostly the shoes I like are sold out in my size.... :thumbsup: There's still a chance with boot covers. It might take some experiments in shaping, but it might work better than searching for ages with no success.

Yup, it's all civilian forms. Of course rain boots might be an option, but as Germany seems to have a nationwide shortage of ANY sort of white boots, I guess I have no choice anyway. Besides, I've hated rain boots ever since I was a child. They're uncomfortable and your feet get all sweaty if you wear them for a long time *shudders*
I already checked a store close to my place for artificial leather and lucky me, the have it in white and it's not that expensive.
Oh and my mum is so nice to get the glasses for me. She already found a pair, but she tries to look for a better one. I love how she gets all worked up when she offers me help with my cosplay xD

Congrats on your buy :) I hope it will arrive in time! Yeah, belt extensions shouldn't be that hard. They also offer official ones, but I think it should be possible to make them yourself. The belts have some parts that stick out where you can klick the wholes on the other end in. But I think there are also tiny wholes under the parts that stick out, so you might be able to connect them to a regular belt.
Yeah, I'd also love to have the real thing but I'm spending so much money on other tokusatsu toys and cosplay, I just can't afford it x,D So triple henshin is the most affortable alternative.

As for good prices, I suggest you check Mandarake. They sell used items (which means box opened, item expected, returned to the shop....) and have mostly fair prices. The shipping is also pretty fast.
As for the rings, they won't work without the driver. My boyfriend has the driver and the rings, and they only make sounds when they are placed in front of the scanner inside the driver :/

Wig styling, well... It takes a bit of bravery, but it's not that bad. As for the cutting to look natural, you need a sharp pair of scissors (a razorblade works to, but.... it's dangerous) and then cut the hair from above and in an 30 degree-ish angle. (Heres a vid of what I mean- it's in german, but I think you get it from what you see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEVllGVGVaI)
Most wigs work with regular styling products. Just heat might be dangerous ;) The straithening iron used in the video is special and works only for their wigs.

I'm sure professionals have to deal with different types of skin too, so it shouldn't be much of a problem. And I'm also pretty sure your dermatologist should know some helpful tips. If he doesn't I dare say he has the wrong job.

aethernity
02-02-2014, 06:33 AM
Hi everyone! sorry for the long absence, life has been ridiculously busy :( I only just realised I've never introduced myself - you can call me Jia :)

@MirniMausi: Hello! It's nice to see you around here :D I'm currently working on an Ian Yorkland cosplay, so since we're all working on Kyoryuger pieces, let's get along ^^

@Shiftercat: All the best with Daigo cosplay! I'm currently just worried about styling the wig for Ian - I have everything else down and waiting to arrive in the mail, including his jacket (I gave up and decided to spend money on it :/) but not the wig. I'm kind of worried about it too, because I have never styled a wig before /cries/ There's also the rather upsetting problem of really /no one/ on the Singapore cosplay forums being interested in toku D:

SuzuStarlight
02-02-2014, 06:44 AM
Welcome back :)
Yay for Kyoryuger-Cosplayers ;D

As for the wig styling thing, which hairstyle do you plan to make?
One of the wavy versions
http://i60.tinypic.com/1z23gv8.png
or the smoother one with more volume from the early and late eps?
http://i59.tinypic.com/28a4w2d.png

He also had one with two small braids on the left, but I have no picture of that one ;)

Depending on your wig and skills, I'd rather go with the straight one, because it's easier. Though, admitted, the wavy hair looks fabulous...

aethernity
02-02-2014, 06:47 AM
@MirniMausi I'm probably going to go with the straight+volume one, it's a lot easier and I have a little more confidence in my ability to not screw that one up XD The wavy version might have to come a little later... As for the one with the cornrows, that's quite out of the question XDD (this will be my first cosplay, and I'm pretty sure I'm not at that level of styling yet)

SuzuStarlight
02-02-2014, 07:07 AM
Haha, okay xD

My suggestion for that the straight style... get a short wig that's slightly longer (probably one in Wataru's length, just black). Put it on a polystrene head for wigs. Use a tail comb to move the parting from the middle (as most cosplay wigs have it in the middle) to the left, so most of the hair will be on the right side (seen from the perspective as if you wear it on your head, of course). Pull up a strand of hair from underneath and comb it from the end to the head (back combing- I never did it myself, but I've seen people do this a lot). If you put the upper hair over it, you'll have some amazing volume, while it still looks straight on the outside. I hope that was understandeable? xD

Also, you might need hairstyling products like spray and wax. But just in case, I'd recommend some with higher quality. I use Wella on my wigs, don't know if that brand is available where you live? It's easy to comb and wash out if you want to change the styling ^^

Don't forget pins and a wig cap to attach the wig on your head, because if you don't, the wig will wobble around on your head and your natural hair might stick out somewhere.

aethernity
02-02-2014, 10:11 PM
Haha, okay xD

My suggestion for that the straight style... get a short wig that's slightly longer (probably one in Wataru's length, just black). Put it on a polystrene head for wigs. Use a tail comb to move the parting from the middle (as most cosplay wigs have it in the middle) to the left, so most of the hair will be on the right side (seen from the perspective as if you wear it on your head, of course). Pull up a strand of hair from underneath and comb it from the end to the head (back combing- I never did it myself, but I've seen people do this a lot). If you put the upper hair over it, you'll have some amazing volume, while it still looks straight on the outside. I hope that was understandeable? xD

Also, you might need hairstyling products like spray and wax. But just in case, I'd recommend some with higher quality. I use Wella on my wigs, don't know if that brand is available where you live? It's easy to comb and wash out if you want to change the styling ^^

Don't forget pins and a wig cap to attach the wig on your head, because if you don't, the wig will wobble around on your head and your natural hair might stick out somewhere.

My gosh <3 thank you! I already have everything else, just waiting for the wig, wig cap and the stand to arrive :D I'll try that when my wig arrive ^^ thanks so much for the help! I really appreciate it!

Shiftercat
02-04-2014, 04:55 AM
MirniMausi:

Re: Shirts - There is an admittedly severe bias to my sample here, but what I have seen of Japanese fashion - and since that's in Toku and other media-centric, not necessarily "real world" stuff, you see where the bias is - they have a rather different attitude to what is "men's" clothing and what is "women's" clothing compared to what I note here in the States. So it's entirely possible that you've seen some extremely passably Wataru-ish shirts in the Women's department. I would not be at all surprised. It's honestly going to take a little bit of guts for me to wear something that's... well, it's a bit feminine by the standards I have to compare to, really, if I go with reasonable style accuracy. But well, cosplay. I wouldn't say it's improvised, per se, so much as a mix of "Oo, I like that piece of clothing" (.. mostly that shirt, honestly) and "that is the {scarf, shirt, pants, jacket... whichever piece} I notice him wearing the most". While I haven't gone and counted, for example, the number of episodes I've seen the red/orange tie dyed scarf in, it's the one I notice the most, and is therefore the scarf I picture in my head when I pull up a mental image. That sort of thing - true to show, but not all at once.

Re: Jacket - I've got a lightweight denim for it. His is more traditionally thick denim, but as the con I'm planning on going to is in July in southern California, I have to worry a touch about heat exhaustion! I decided in the name of health that a little draping accuracy could be sacrificed. He has a dark jacket, a denim one and at least 1 sweatshirt/hoodie. Certainly he wears the dark one in the opening credits - but I don't recall it much otherwise. The mid-to-light color denim is more iconic I think. It also has a light colored pattern painted/printed on the back which it took ages for me to even notice (maybe he has more than one jacket and only one has it on there? I should check..) which might present a challenge.

Re: Rain boots - You know, it's been years since I've worn the things. I grew up in a rainy area and have now moved to a dry one, and I guess the intervening years have let me forget how uncomfortable they are, but now that you mention it.. yeah. They really are. I seem to remember a few blisters, too, as sweaty, ill fitting rubber boots are practically a breeding ground for that sort of thing. Your boot cover solution is bound to be WAY more comfortable. I suspect, on reflection, that it's not just Germany lacking in white rain boots. I mean... you wear rain boots when it's gross and muddy. And white doesn't exactly go with that. They probably don't make many anywhere!

Re: Belts - I've got the Kivat driver in hand now! He's fabulous. No lie, there's something special in having him in your hand and then doing the clip 'n flip to put him on the belt! Now that I've got it, however... the belt alteration seems... more complicated. I was basing my extension theory on the Fourze driver, as that was, at the time, the only one I'd been able to examine in person, and comparing that to the supposed Kiva driver extension belt on eBay. (More on that in a minute.) They are very different hookups. The Fourze one is almost begging for the belt to be replaced. Unscrew three screws, pull out the plastic, insert new strapping, screw through, glue if you want, I guess, but you're good to go. Kivat... does not want to be altered. One side unclips, and you can remove about... six or seven screws... to totally dismantle the plastic casing (the screws on the Fourze driver do not dismantle the casing), at which point you could remove a metal pin, slip off the plastic belt, and install something else. On one side. The other side would involve dismantling the ENTIRE MAIN PART of the driver just to get at that metal post. And even if you did, the belt is actually a good third wider than the part that can go around the post. I suspect, without trying it, of course, that if I were willing to attempt to risk the contents of the driver to get at the second side, that I would be disappointed with how the alteration went in the end, structurally. Kivat is pretty heavy. I highly suspect that with how relatively small a contact point it has on each side, in most weights of strapping, it would sort of... flop over, if it wasn't mostly-rigid plastic. So far, searching for instructions on modifying that specific driver have yielded me no results. Except for that eBay listing... and about that: it would fit the Fourze driver. There is literally no way that you could use the belt they have pictured to alter the Kiva driver that I can see. While it is perfectly suited and perfectly made for the Fourze driver (including 3 holes in the strapping for the 3 screws!) it would not fit the Kivat hookup. They do have an altered Kiva driver pictured in their listing, but they could not have done it with the belt end they picture... and honestly, I don't think I want to spend 30 dollars on something where the listing is that iffy.

After my last post, I stumbled on a ridiculously cheap Wizard driver (my shopping luck is probably over FOREVER, now), so that's on the way. My understanding is that at some point along the line, they became aware that adults were altering the belts and made it easier - I think the Fourze one is an example of that, whereas the Kiva one is not. (Both sides of the Fourze one unclip from the main driver, and it has the nice easy screws.) My guess, sight unseen, is that the Wizard driver is like the Fourze one, and will be easy to fix up. Since it's also way flatter than Kivat, I doubt that the flopping over would be an issue - plus, the contact points are much wider on the Fourze one than they'd be wrapping around the Kiva metal posts, for better weight distribution. I will have an opportunity to test my theory soon. In the meantime, I have NO idea what I'm doing about the Kiva driver. I don't WANT to just tack strapping on the ends of the plastic belt somehow... but it might come to that.

Oh, and I know the rings don't do anything without the driver! Lol. I meant that there are I think a couple different "grades" of ring out there, and some do nothing with the driver, some are lights only, and some are sound and lights. Since the bargain rings came without any sort of packaging material, and since I am no expert on distinguishing the types of rings from one another, I'm just going to have to wait and get the driver and just test them to find out! Even if I ended up with 5 that are just purely decorative, they'll fill out a ring holster nicely, and they were cheap.

Re: Wig (as if this wasn't long enough already, right?) - I'm having a huge amount of wig-based anxiety, actually. I've never ever worn a wig. I've never bought a wig. I've spent the last week or so intently (overly intently?) browsing the wig forum here, absorbing as much information as I can, in between checking out the sites recommended for things for wigs that look... close.. ish. I learned something critically important from the forums already that has fortunately prevented me from making an utterly useless purchase: my head is going to be far too large to buy wigs from China or Korea. While they are nicely priced and do come in more "realistic" styles... my head is deceptively huge. When I tell people it doesn't fit in normal hats, they don't believe me. My head is an amazing illusion. It doesn't look big, but I dare you to fit a "one size fits all adults" hat on it. (Unless it's a baseball cap with those adjustable things in the back.) Most non-adjustable hats sit comically atop my head, by which I mean ON TOP of my head and not remotely around it! That being the case, since "asian wigs run small", as I understand, I've learned to just write those off and forget about it. I'm actually terrified of styling the thing once I've got it. And color..! There's no such thing as a wig (in my price range) with roots.. so.. get as close to the reddish brown as I can and just forget about the darker roots? Attempt to *gasp* color the roots??? I don't know if I can! It's this whole other world, this whole new medium I've never ever tried, and since I don't actually know anyone who uses them... I don't even have close-enough-to-touch-it experience with them. I think I might start by just ordering a bunch of sample bits from Arda wigs just to get the fibers to see what the hell I'm even approaching, here. And later in the process, I may swallow my pride and approach a co-worker of mine who a.) does not know I cosplay, and b.) does not know the sorts of stuff I watch, and see if she will style the thing, as she's a hair stylist as her other job. I'm reasonably certain she won't laugh to my face and will probably not express derision all over the workplace... That still wouldn't fix the color issue, since she does, you know, HAIR hair and not wigs, so she couldn't do the coloring... but the cutting, the part that's even more terrifying? She could probably handle that. I hope. She does not yet know she is my hope. We'll see how this goes... I need to get myself a bit less scared of the whole idea. (When I dive into every other craft medium ever, I don't know why wigs scare me, but they do! Resin is the only other thing that I want to do and am afraid to try.) I'm not entirely sure yet what makes some of the pictures I've seen look like very bad wigs and some look like real hair. Especially when we're talking about pictures from the Arda example files, where the wigs are all from the same place and all started as the same style and are all made of the same fibers. What do some people do differently? I just don't know. At least I still have some time to sort this out, I guess... but I'm very anxious about it for some reason, anyway!

SuzuStarlight
02-07-2014, 09:34 AM
aethernity: You're welcome. Let us know if it worked out!

Shiftercat:
Okay, admitted, it sounded a bit like you wanted to be show-accurate xD But I'm sure you'll be fine the way you planned it. As for the scarf, if anything happens, you could still change plans, right?
Yeah, it takes some bravery, but I guess that's something you have to invest for Tokusatsu cosplays. I finally convinced my male group members to wear make-up and lipgloss when in costume. It just looks better on photos if your skin looks smooth and your lips shine a bit. After all, they use the same stuff on the show.
If you wear it manly enough, girly clothing and make-up isn't that bad ;) Talking about make-up, any news on that?

The fabric for the Jacket sounds like a good option to me. How does the print look? Do you have a photo or screenshot of it? If I know what it looks like, I might be able to help you ^^

As for the boots- it's not just no white rainboots. There's no white boots in general. It's crazy. It's all black or brown this year. Sometimes I hate seasonal trends... >,>

For the belts, I think they sell extra extensions for the toys. I don't know where to get them cheap atm, but I can ask my boyfriend for help, because he has one of these.
They all have the same color, but if it isn't fitting for the Kivat Driver, you could paint it ^^ And sorry for the ring-thing (xD), it sounded a bit like you didn't know at all.

Don't be afraid to ask for help. So far, most people I have told about my hobby had a really positive reaction. You don't need to tell her what kind of show it is, if you don't want to, but I guess she'll be fine with cosplay. Most people admire my interest in crafting when I tell them about it.

As for my own stuff, I had my first fabric-shopping-session today :D
http://i58.tinypic.com/2zhhxz8.jpg

I got the fabric for the bigger parts of the jacket (still need fabric for the cuffs and buttons) and the skirt. Still have to get the artificial leather for the boots and the belts. I also need to figure out how to do the emblem on her left sleeve and the belt. Aaaand if I have the time, I'd like to sew a pair of bloomers to wear under the skirt, because she does wear them on the show.

Shiftercat
02-08-2014, 01:16 AM
...I finally convinced my male group members to wear make-up and lipgloss when in costume. It just looks better on photos if your skin looks smooth and your lips shine a bit...

If you wear it manly enough, girly clothing and make-up isn't that bad ;) Talking about make-up, any news on that?

The fabric for the Jacket sounds like a good option to me. How does the print look? Do you have a photo or screenshot of it? If I know what it looks like, I might be able to help you ^^

For the belts, I think they sell extra extensions for the toys. ....

Don't be afraid to ask for help. So far, most people I have told about my hobby had a really positive reaction. You don't need to tell her what kind of show it is, if you don't want to, but I guess she'll be fine with cosplay. Most people admire my interest in crafting when I tell them about it.

... I also need to figure out how to do the emblem on her left sleeve and the belt. Aaaand if I have the time, I'd like to sew a pair of bloomers to wear under the skirt, because she does wear them on the show.

Trying not to stay up too late having a major costuming jam session tonight but.. okay, quick reply, I can do this. Really. (We'll see.)

Re: Makeup, I actually have less of a problem with makeup than with feminine cuts of clothes! I don't know why. I guess because I played with CATS makeup (as in, from the musical) back in high school. And no, no news on that front at the moment. Research on that's on the back burner, as is a visit to the dermatologist, money and all...

Re: Jacket pattern, I will have to go back through the archives and find the episode where I noticed it! (Oh, poor me, I might have to scan through Kiva again? What torture...)

Re: Belts - I have re-examined this problem, and come to the conclusion that there are no 'functional' pieces in the holster (that is, where Kivat clips in, and where the straps attach), so I'm only dismantling hollow plastic if I take it apart to remove that side of the belt, so actually, I'm going to do that. (Although I did find some other tips and tricks that seem okay, too, if I CAN pull it apart without actually messing with like, computer chips or something, I will.) And look what I found for strapping....! http://www.strapworks.com/product_p/pewut2.htm See the red strapping with silver chains?? I know what I'm going to do!

Re: Asking for help... cosplay has a really bad name around here for some reason. Maybe it's all the cons that come through the area? I don't know, but it's maybe a little less friendly to it around these parts than other places, I guess. Still, I think I could get help without getting teased too horribly.

Re: Emblem, I've pondered that problem myself, for the holsters. My thought was to paint it with opaque fabric paints onto a separate, smooth piece of fabric, then applique that onto the final piece, that way it has that little bit of 'patch' type dimension that the actual emblems seem to have on the show. I think what they have are actually either screenprinted on or like a vinyl/plastic print adhered on there... though it's hard for me to say for Yayoi specifically since most of the image results I just found cut off right above the emblem or are really really little.

And yes, bloomers would probably be a very good idea! Lol.

Do you think we should split all the Kyoryuger costuming discussion out into its own thread so other people can tell we're talking about that if they want to join in? Should I split my Kiva business into a thread? I don't know how things go around here.

kimuhalu
02-11-2014, 12:39 AM
woohoo a toku thread! :D I love Kamen Rider but I always end up cosplaying from Sentai (of which I've only watched Gokaiger and Akibaranger). I have cosplayed Captain Marvelous and Moegi Yumeria. Both were really fun.

At the moment I'm working on an outfit inspired by Kamen Rider Decade for just something nice to wear around the con and maybe even the raves at ACen this year. I actually disassembled a lot of Fourze rider switches for it. Though I have no idea how to incorporate them into the outfit. I have a wig for it and glasses which I will be dyeing green. It's a perfect "Decade" pink despite the photo's color. I'm very excited to work on this.

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3470067/

Moon Prince
02-11-2014, 11:27 PM
a lot has happened since my last posts... health issues but it's all good now. and with that part over with, it has opened cosplay opportunities that I would never have been able to do..

I am going to cosplay Doctor Ulshade and not King. I might have it done by Anime Expo, but definitely Power Morphicon in August. I will also try and cosplay Tetsu from Deka Ranger to go with my friend as Swan, and posibly my 10yr old niece as Jack, red SPD ranger. She might want to do something else, but I made her a Red SPD uniform two yrs ago for Halloween and she still says SPD is her favorite season. It would be cool to get a picture with Brandon Jay Mclaren. I got her an autograph the last PMC.

I can wear my Bouken/Operation Overdrive Pink suit without worry not too.

SuzuStarlight
02-12-2014, 07:50 AM
As suggested by Shiftercat, I'm gonna open some new threads to keep it organized ;)
Shiftercat, feel free to post what you wrote in those threads as well.

Also, welcome to the other two who were posting here (^-^)/

You know, I was thinking about creating a platform just for Tokusatsu Cosplay, as a forum of its own. But I haven't found a suitable hoster yet, so it might take a while until I can make that real...

Shiftercat
02-13-2014, 12:47 AM
As suggested by Shiftercat, I'm gonna open some new threads to keep it organized ;)
Shiftercat, feel free to post what you wrote in those threads as well.

Also, welcome to the other two who were posting here (^-^)/

You know, I was thinking about creating a platform just for Tokusatsu Cosplay, as a forum of its own. But I haven't found a suitable hoster yet, so it might take a while until I can make that real...

Will do! Gathering a few images here, reference shots and the like. I did, for example, finally find a shot or two of the design on the back of Wataru's jacket. I also have pictures of how the Kivat driver and Wizard driver (which I only learned when I got the thing is officially the "Wizardriver", one word) are different, in terms of modding the belt, for those who are interested in belt mods.

I'd go to a Toku specific cosplay site. :)

SuzuStarlight
03-08-2014, 05:39 PM
Awww yeah <3 I finally finished my Yayoi Cosplay. Can't wait to wear it next weekend!

Shiftercat
03-10-2014, 12:59 AM
Awww yeah <3 I finally finished my Yayoi Cosplay. Can't wait to wear it next weekend!

I saw it, and it looks great! I hope your con is a lot of fun, maybe you'll get some pics of your group?

I'm jealous of your progress. I'm completely stalled at the moment (granted, I have more time before my con, but still). With a family emergency followed by an illness followed by a bad injury to my hands, followed by ANOTHER injury... my luck's been awful and my ability to work on stuff even worse. :bigcry: I hope I can get back to this stuff soon. How much longer can my luck be this bad, right...? Right.....?

Kagomekai
03-10-2014, 06:38 PM
I'm a little late to the party but last year at Anime North I did my first Sentai cosplay which was also my first couple cosplay with my boyfriend. I went as Fem! Joe Gibken civilian version and my boyfriend went as civilian Captain Marvelous.

This year however I will be going as actual Gokai blue but I'm debaiting on making a skirt for it so it will be a female version.

I will also be doing a female version of human Ankh from Kamen Rider OOO if I can get the glove done in time.

aethernity
03-14-2014, 05:49 AM
I'm finally back! school + waiting for supplies that got lost in the mail has drowned out any chance of cosplaying, but finally I'm back \o/ now waiting for two parts needed to complete my Ian accessories (so many of them ugh the man wears more accessories than any girl I know), the wig and the shoes! So excited to finally get things done :D

hope everyone's doing well!

SuzuStarlight
03-18-2014, 06:39 PM
Hey guys, how have you been? I'm back from my boyfriend's place and the bookfair was a blast. Even though our Daigo did have some trouble the week before and couldn't fully complete his cosplay, we made the best out of it. And oh my gosh, my boyfriend looked gorgeous as Ian!!! <3 I'll post some photos during the next weeks.

Also, my plans have changed a bit. While my Mystery Girl and Kagura cosplays will be done, I realized that I won't be able to make Akiko and Trini this year, so I decided to postpone those two.
Instead I'll be doing Kotoha's kimono from the Shinkenger VS. Go-Onger ending, with my boyfriend as Ryunosuke and for next year's bookfair in Leipzig, we planned to have an Energy Rider group, with this year's Ucchi as Sengoku, our Daigo as Takatora, my boyfriend as Sid and of course me as Marika. I just wanted my friend's Peach Energy lock seed when we came around his place yesterday xD

aethernity
03-19-2014, 10:28 AM
Hey guys, how have you been? I'm back from my boyfriend's place and the bookfair was a blast. Even though our Daigo did have some trouble the week before and couldn't fully complete his cosplay, we made the best out of it. And oh my gosh, my boyfriend looked gorgeous as Ian!!! <3 I'll post some photos during the next weeks.

Also, my plans have changed a bit. While my Mystery Girl and Kagura cosplays will be done, I realized that I won't be able to make Akiko and Trini this year, so I decided to postpone those two.
Instead I'll be doing Kotoha's kimono from the Shinkenger VS. Go-Onger ending, with my boyfriend as Ryunosuke and for next year's bookfair in Leipzig, we planned to have an Energy Rider group, with this year's Ucchi as Sengoku, our Daigo as Takatora, my boyfriend as Sid and of course me as Marika. I just wanted my friend's Peach Energy lock seed when we came around his place yesterday xD

I saw some of your photos! They look amazing :D great job!

It's unfortunate that you can't complete two cosplays, though, but glad you found something to work on! And oooh an Energy Riders group 8D Looking forward to it! All the best ^^

---

Finally finished Ian's bracelet and the metal chain he wears OTL the wait for parts to arrive is so much worse than any confusion over where they're supposed to go :( Also, my Gaburevolver + Ian's clothes arrived! At this rate, I might actually make it in time for some of the cosplay events here. :D

Shiftercat
03-22-2014, 04:25 AM
@MirniMausi: I saw your pics, your group looks great! I hope the con was fun, too. :) I'd be interested to see more pics of your Ucchi (It's hard for me to spell it that way, our fan translation spelled it "Utchy", so I'm used to that, but based on everyone else's spellings of almost all the names ever online, our translation bucked the trend for many of them, so...)... That's the costume I probably would have done if I hadn't married myself to Daigo's vest from episode one. It's just a cool design! (So is the vest though, so....)

I never liked how he ruined the lineup during henshins with his different dance though. Couldn't he have stood on the end so that everyone is in a line doing the same thing...? No..? I did love the episode where they switch bodies though. I'll give them that one. ;)

@aethernity: Would love to see some pics of the bracelet and chain, see how that all came together. And congrats on getting the clothes and revolver... hopefully you're finding the gaburevolver easier to operate than I am. For some reason, it's the one toku toy I have that I keep forgetting how it's supposed to go. Dunno why.

aethernity
03-22-2014, 05:14 AM
@Shiftercat: I'll upload pictures soon! My camera isn't cooperating grrrr I think it's time I went out to get a better one :( I agree on the Gaburevolver, I was very confused at first, and even now I keep forgetting to press that little button near the hammer :/ For something that size, though, it is heavy, and it is LOUD. I'd actually considered finding some way to muffle the speaker just so I wouldn't startle myself every time I accidentally pressed something XD

---

Edit: if anyone has a Flame Wizard Ring + Water Wizard Ring to spare, please give me a nudge hehe helping a friend look for it for her cosplay XD

Shiftercat
03-23-2014, 05:27 PM
@Shiftercat: I'll upload pictures soon! My camera isn't cooperating grrrr I think it's time I went out to get a better one :( I agree on the Gaburevolver, I was very confused at first, and even now I keep forgetting to press that little button near the hammer :/ For something that size, though, it is heavy, and it is LOUD. I'd actually considered finding some way to muffle the speaker just so I wouldn't startle myself every time I accidentally pressed something XD

---

Edit: if anyone has a Flame Wizard Ring + Water Wizard Ring to spare, please give me a nudge hehe helping a friend look for it for her cosplay XD

AMEN about that stupid little hammer lock button. I'm afraid I'm going to break mine by trying to force the hammer someday. :dunce: And it IS heavy, and it IS louder than I thought it would be, especially since for some of the Wizard rings I have to practically lean over it to hear the thing. Which, speaking of, I think I actually HAVE a spare water ring - I don't have a spare flame, but I think I ended up buying a water and then the water came with the belt when I finally got it. I'll check for you! ... Yep, I do have a spare water, since my belt came with one, but I pre-bought one in a batch before I got it. I have no idea what the shipping and stuff would be like, but it's small and light, so I wouldn't think it could get TOO bad... Would definitely trade it for something I don't have (zyudenshi, Wiz ring or Beast ring), but we can hash stuff out in PM. Can't help much with the flame one, I'm afraid, although I don't think that one should be too terribly hard to find. Unless it ONLY came in the set with the belt, in which case maybe it is. I don't think I've seen it at the local (ish) anime/toku/fandom store where I got the other rings, but I can look next time I'm up there. For imports, they aren't too badly priced there. (They're all out of box and used, though.)

On that note of Wiz rings though, anybody know where to find the larger sized ring adapters? My fingers are actually long and thin and the regular ones ALMOST fit on me... except my knuckles are weirdly wide (it has looked like I've had arthritis since I was a teenager, but I actually don't, they just ARE that way) and it won't fit over, and I'm afraid to try to stretch the split part to just pop it on past the knuckle (it might never come OFF!). Ebay's not lending me much help here, and I'd rather not have the store special order something (if they even CAN) because I'm sure it'd get crazy expensive.

aethernity
03-24-2014, 08:22 AM
Pictures of Ian's bracelet (http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu243/viridian-blue/ChainDone_zpse853a6af.jpg) and his chain (http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu243/viridian-blue/ChainDone_zpse853a6af.jpg)! Finally my camera + lights are cooperating somewhat haha (used a filter to bring out some of the features of the chain and bracelet, because the lighting in my house is fairly disappointing D:)

---

@Shiftercat Bandai Fashion sells L-size (http://p-bandai.jp/item/item-1000076933/) and LL-size (http://p-bandai.jp/item/item-1000076935/?utm_source=search&utm_medium=pc&utm_content=imglink) adapters (L = 17mm and LL = 20mm across at the widest points) in sets of four for 210yen, excluding shipping! You might want to contact a proxy buying service to order them, though, because Bandai Fashion doesn't allow anyone without a Japanese address to create an account :/ also, thanks! I'll send you a PM :)

SuzuStarlight
03-27-2014, 08:08 AM
As for the rings, CS toys also offers the LL ring adapters (though admitted, the shipping is extremely expensive there, so you should order something along with them to justify the price) ^^ If they don't fit (which is the case with most people I know), I'd recommend to get some cheap rings somewhere else, remove the ring part on the adapters and attach them to the plate with hot glue. At least for Cosplay this should be the best solution.

Glad you like the photos, everyone. I have some more of the rest of the group on my facebook, but those are mostly the ones I uploaded directly after the con, so no edits done on them. I also added a new one with photos of everyone put together. Still have to look through the photos from time to time to see which ones I can use, some of them are somewhat blurry due to the lighting :/

On a side note: Got my Kyoryuger photobook and the Brave Finish OST today. I also ordered the Peach Energy lock seed.... I hope it isn't sold out again before they have checked the store *prays* Gaim toys are so hard to get these days. So far, I only managed to get the Ichigo and Orange Lock Seeds from friends and the Ichigo and Matsubokkuri padlocks. Still need the Energy Lock Seeds, the Genesis Driver and Sonic Arrow though.

Also can't wait for the Helheim fruit toy and the other Resshas from Toqger to come out so I can get those for my next two cosplays ^^ I also need the buckle, so that everyone in our group will have a pass of their own. So glad we have all 5 Toqgers together *-*

SuzuStarlight
04-06-2014, 11:48 AM
http://baronknight.tumblr.com/post/81826633190/our-cosplay-group-at-leipzig-book-fair-2014

http://baronknight.tumblr.com/post/81876545527/another-video-of-our-cosplay-group-hear-our

Videos kitaaaaa! Also, if the character turns out to be fitting the guy we asked, we might expand our Toqger group to all six. WHEEEEE *-*

sekitar555
07-09-2014, 06:12 PM
how did you guys learn to make helmets and stuff... and how can i learn! i desperatly want to learn how to cosplay kamen riders!

SuzuStarlight
07-10-2014, 09:41 AM
how did you guys learn to make helmets and stuff... and how can i learn! i desperatly want to learn how to cosplay kamen riders!

This is the best helmet tutorial I found so far. Never tried it myself though :/
http://www.instructables.com/id/Power-Rangers-Helmet/

tyr333
07-11-2014, 02:33 AM
Hiya, I'm working on a ToQger cosplay. Here's a trial run I wore to Anime Expo:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BruSdMGCAAEnfU9.jpg:large

I learned a LOT doing my first helmet like this. I did a lot of research but had trouble finding any good tutorial. I took a lot of progress pictures, though, if you're curious.
I made my helmet by starting with papercraft, then fiberglass, then bondo. I'm glad to answer questions!

SuzuStarlight
07-15-2014, 03:47 PM
Looks great for your first try :D The tracks are a bit to big, but overall pretty cool.
I'd do something about the pattern on the suit though, the white squares are also a bit to big and look deformed. Maybe try a different technique.

Hoshi26
10-23-2014, 10:14 PM
Yay, Toku thread!

I have become hooked by Kamen Rider W and am highly tempted to cosplay Phillip! I think the shirt and pants would be fairly easy to find at Goodwill, but how would I make that green jacket thing he wears? It looks like a shrug with a hood attached. Also, I have never searched for Drivers in my life (just getting into this) so I'm not sure where to start!

Also, I'd need a Shoutaro to pair with, but that can be figured out.

SuzuStarlight
10-28-2014, 05:00 PM
Yay, Toku thread!

I have become hooked by Kamen Rider W and am highly tempted to cosplay Phillip! I think the shirt and pants would be fairly easy to find at Goodwill, but how would I make that green jacket thing he wears? It looks like a shrug with a hood attached. Also, I have never searched for Drivers in my life (just getting into this) so I'm not sure where to start!

Also, I'd need a Shoutaro to pair with, but that can be figured out.

Hi there and welcome!

As for the jacket, I guess I'd go with some sort of vest pattern and just lengthen it (maybe widen it in the lower regions as well?). Also, make sure to use a soft fabric that flows well.

As for the drivers, your best adress is probably Mandarake. It's a Japanese store that sells used items for nice prices and in good condition (Just make sure to enter the name of the show in Japanese, so you'll get results at all).

Lost Cause
10-30-2014, 05:12 PM
A quick look on Plamoya shows they've got the "Super-best" W Driver (with all six main Gaia memories) for under $50 before shipping.

SuzuStarlight
11-02-2014, 07:48 AM
Ah right, tend to forget Plamoya has some older stuff too as I rarely even check there. Thanks for the research.

Lost Cause
11-02-2014, 08:38 AM
Ah right, tend to forget Plamoya has some older stuff too as I rarely even check there. Thanks for the research.

I'm a little bit annoyed that someone in the anime society at my university introduced me to the site *after* I'd eBay'd my Sengoku Driver when it was cheaper there.

I also think that price might be less than I paid for my Korean standard W Driver.

SuzuStarlight
11-02-2014, 08:49 AM
It seems like a good price, yeah. I'm in the lucky position to have gotten mine from a friend for just 15€, but Plamoya's offer seems fair. I payed around the same for my Fourze Driver at a bring&buy and my IXA Driver.
The only thing to be careful with are the shipping costs.

Lost Cause
11-02-2014, 08:53 AM
And getting shafted with import fees.

Because it seems that the UK postal service expects 13 as a handling fee on top of the actual import tax.

SuzuStarlight
11-02-2014, 01:14 PM
Yeah, we had that happen a lot here too. While the actual import fee might not be as big (depending on the content of the package), the handling fees are just overkill, that's why we decided to not order via DHL again.

Lady Marie
11-12-2014, 11:43 PM
Just when I think of buying micchy's jacket(since my sewing machine did'nt fixed in time) , It's sold out (and since Kamen Rider Drive has started and airing, will never be restocked), I'll have to find another toku related charater (rider or sentai) that's a easy cosplay.

SuzuStarlight
11-13-2014, 09:48 AM
Ah damn. But aren't there other sites that still sell those? I think Taobao had one in stock a few weeks ago.

Lady Marie
11-13-2014, 05:52 PM
Ah damn. But aren't there other sites that still sell those? I think Taobao had one in stock a few weeks ago.

Dang I forgot about that. I'll try that option. :)

SuzuStarlight
11-15-2014, 01:18 PM
Good luck :D