PDA

View Full Version : dumbest mistake

engrish
11-16-2002, 10:23 PM
We've all made mistakes when making our costumes. It's really easy to point out all the mistakes when the costume is done but it's pretty hard to see it beforehand while the costume is being made. However there are some mistakes that are so ridiculous it makes you want to kick yourself in the ass. Here's my dumbest mistake and I think it takes the cake! :D

A funny story about crossplaying. I was making a tight fitting blouse so all my measurements had to be pretty accurate. However, there was one thing I forgot. I didn't put on my "falsies" when taking my measurements. Lets just say my blouse was too tight! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

psythe
11-16-2002, 10:32 PM
Now there is something I didn't think of....

This thread could become a good learning resource, if everyone was to post their worst mistake ^^v

Miaka No Baka
11-17-2002, 03:33 AM
heh I have one. When I was sewing oukichi I had it so you couldn't see the zipper except for the teeth even on the inside so it went pink fabric zipper batting then black fabric. so I was sewing it so when you turned it right side out only the zipper teeth would stick out from the seam. Needless to say I was stupid when I did it and treated it like a normal zipper application so when I went to turn it right side out the teeth were sealed in between the layers of fabric. Tons of stitching had to be removed -_-;

Miaka no Baka

KnuxieChan
11-17-2002, 09:12 AM
My Shippo tail. x.x Way too heavy, it left marks on my shoulders and the back of my neck. And it didn't look fuzzy, so I have to make a new one.

Maryssa
11-17-2002, 02:37 PM
I think every one of us has accidentally sewed a sleeve hole closed ^^;;; Derrrrr

sailor-moon
11-17-2002, 02:45 PM
in the sieya siut i made for a friend i kinda sewed the pants closed^.^ LOL i dont knwo how it happened:thumbsup:

Usagi

Lilli
11-17-2002, 03:54 PM
._. My dumbest mistake... well, I actually have two that come immediately to mind, both done while I was sleeping ^^;; (which I guess is my first dumbest mistake. If you're snoozin, turn off the sewing machine... You'll thank me when you wake up! e-hehe...)

I was making a Hakkai costume from Gensomaden Saiyuki for my boyfriend, and I was... asleep ^^; I was cutting out the pieces for the shirt, and it's that Chinese style top, where one side overlaps the other, and I drew it out correctly, had it in my mind to cut it out correctly, but when I started cutting, I was like, "Hey, why did I draw this so long, what's wrong with me?" So I cut about halfway up the shirt before I realized what I was doing. "...well s***." I didn't have time to run to the fabric store, cause it was last minute, and it was like 4 am ._.;; Hehe, so Hakkai just had a funny seam up the front of his shirt. *throws that costume into the "re-do" bin*

My other majorly stupid thing I've done that I can think of, was when I was sewing my Bulleta (from Darkstalkers) costume. I was sewing the waistband onto the skirt, but I was... asleep ^^;; (again) and by the time I realized what I was doing, I'd sewn the waistband halfway up to the middle of the skirt. I dunno how it happened, but it wasn't anywhere near where it belonged ._.;; Started to take the stitchings out, but decided it'd be faster just to make a new one. And so I shall!! And out of a different fabric, tooo, I think.

Koumori
11-17-2002, 04:35 PM
The underdress for my Nuriko costume is a good six inches too short, because I accidentally cut the front that much shorter than the back and had to cut the back to match. Didn't have enough extra fabric to redo the whole dress. It looks idiotic.

Bell-chan
11-17-2002, 05:12 PM
I....didn't wash the fabric before starting (oi...). This was when I was working on my first costume...Miaka. I think I measured everything a little too small anyway, then the shrinking after washing...and I could not wear it at all @_x

Recca-kun
11-17-2002, 05:16 PM
We tried making Bart's jacket in three parts - top red cut along the bottom to show the black, black under that, and then red below that. It wasn't looking too great as is, and then we realized that on the back where the black is supposed to go like _/-\_ we had made it go like -\_/- (you get the idea). Needless to say it didn't match up with the front and the jacket needs to be redone before I can wear it. On the plus side I have a good many things for him ready as well as ideas how to do things right/better which makes it a lot easier than starting the whole thing from scratch. ^_^;

Chosuke
11-17-2002, 05:18 PM
I don't know why but for Knight hunters ran aya I sewed sleeves,the best I have ever sewn,onto the jacket..forgetting I didn't need them.. so I had to remove them AND I wasted fabric.

SailorAndromeda
11-17-2002, 09:24 PM
Well, amazingly, I have (as of yet) sewn no arms or pants shut. However, I do have a funny-ish story. I was working on my Evila costume (my avatar) the day before I would leave for Otakon (it was Wednesday afternoon). I was hand-painting the turquoise design onto the shirt and skirt. I figured I would spray the items with some sort of varnish, to protect and seal in the paint. I had opened up the garage door on my mom's side to ventilate. It was about 4 and I had left the skirt (and the spray can) in the garage on papers to dry. I went inside to work on other costumes. This is where it went bad. My mom came into the house and said "I don't know what you were doing, but I ran over something". Whoops. I had forgotten to tell her NOT to pull into her garage, and she ran over the skirt and can ><
It looked pretty funny, tire marks on the skirt. Of course I was panicking, since I had like NO time left. Luckily for me, paint covered them up well enough.
So the lesson? Next time you need to spray something anywhere a car may drive, warn all who drive in your household.
~*liz*

Jibrille
11-17-2002, 10:30 PM
>I think every one of us has accidentally sewed a sleeve hole
closed ^^;;; Derrrrr

i have a bad habbit of sewing sleeves on inside out...
did it to both my mimic sleeves, then half way to one of my mediator sleeves. ><
keeping track of whats inside out and right way and everything makes my brain want to explode.

sailor-moon
11-17-2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Jibrille
>I think every one of us has accidentally sewed a sleeve hole
closed ^^;;; Derrrrr

i have a bad habbit of sewing sleeves on inside out...
did it to both my mimic sleeves, then half way to one of my mediator sleeves. ><
keeping track of whats inside out and right way and everything makes my brain want to explode.

haha i did that too one time^.^

Usagi

KnuxieChan
11-18-2002, 04:07 PM
>I think every one of us has accidentally sewed a sleeve hole closed ^^;;; Derrrrr

XD I accidently sewed my No.9 vest too tight, so I had to tuck it in, other wise I'd walk like I had a stick up my butt. Not the best way to walk.

Rosiel
11-18-2002, 04:22 PM
I used to always forget to put in wingholes in my Rosiel outfits, and would have to rip my seams (for my harness it means down both sides and the collar) to do it right.

Then I finally got used to adding them in without having to think about it.

And, lo and behold, I started adding wingholes to costume which did not need any. X__X I can never get things right.

> keeping track of whats inside out and right way and everything makes my brain want to explode.

Especially when you are dealing with cuffed sleeves that have a different color inside and need to be lined. Screwed up twice sewing the vinyl on the wrong side for Seed because I was not paying attention. X__X

Karisu-sama
11-18-2002, 06:23 PM
Keeping track of what's on the inside and outside has deviled me a-plenty; then I have to rip out all those stupid seams again, arggh...

Must stop sewing when asleep, like Lilli says... :)

Shinobu
11-18-2002, 08:10 PM
heh heh I make mistakes a lot.... one I spent so long on and had to re-do it but I think it was so bad it blocked out of my mind, lol.
But the worst I can think of right now is this Gotenks vest I made for my brother. I didnt measure the fabric to cut off the bottom and it's all uneven and scrood.... Ill need to butcher it up when I get some more gold fabric for the poofy sleeves....

Ninjafu
11-19-2002, 11:13 AM
Ash Ketchum

Nuff said

Daala
11-19-2002, 11:36 AM
Making pants has to be the biggest pain for me. I aways sew the legs the wrong way....never fails (one's right the other is inside out ).

Bell-chan
11-19-2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by SailorAndromeda
My mom came into the house and said "I don't know what you were doing, but I ran over something". Whoops. I had forgotten to tell her NOT to pull into her garage, and she ran over the skirt and can >< oh how sad!!! ;__; I'm so sorry that had to happen to you! >.<

Celine
11-19-2002, 12:33 PM
So, I didn't realize until my fifth or so costume that there was a difference between the "right" and "wrong" sides of the fabric. ^^ Needless to say, if you look at any of my old costumes, the fabric doesn't always look quite right. I also never bothered with matching up grainlines until I tried using some 2-way stretch fabric... and it didn't stretch the right way. Ah well, I learned the hard way.

Then, I went to JoAnns one day to buy stuff for my Sabrina costume. I wanted something sleek but not as shiny as satin... and, due to my infinite retardation, I purchased red and black *lining* and made an entire dress out of that. ^_^;;; It's very bizarre, and I had to add emergency fusible interfacing (my best friend with thin fabrics) to make it decent. Hehe.

Recca-kun
11-19-2002, 02:40 PM
Yeah I've been there with using the wrong side of a fabric too... didn't look wrong, but the other side was the better. ^_^;

Pink Bunnie
11-21-2002, 06:47 PM
I dunno what happened but I was helping a friend sew some shorts. I figured she could do it. Turn away, hear sewing and then "Meeelanieee!!! Somethings wrong" I turn back and She's holding up these insanely short hoochie short-esque shorts and are uuuber wide. Was friggin hilarious.

Beware of super glue too...I've had every conceivable thing glued to mah hands...my own fingers, fabric, costume pieces, even once the bottle of super glue was glued to my thumb >.<;;

Miaka No Baka
11-22-2002, 01:19 AM
yeah sewing pants and shorts are evil. If you accidently sew them the wrong way you get the ghetto shorts that no one could even wear ^_^; I always got confused at that step in the instructions I tried pinning them like it said but every time I had it the wrong way, funny how when I can just get the right sides together without making that mistake again lol ^_^;

Miaka no Baka

Peppermintstix
11-22-2002, 08:31 PM
Man that was pretty darn funny. I haven't been sewing very long (only a year) and the worst mistakes i think i have ever made was marking the darts on the wrong side. no biggie.

BlueLady
11-22-2002, 09:43 PM
I had a corset in my costume that had boning in it so I could tight lace. It turned out beautifully until I tried it on with the 3 layers that went underneath. Needless to say I got alot of compliments but sitting and deep breaths were a major issue all night. Another thing I've learned is never attach wings directly to a costume...

Peppermintstix
11-24-2002, 05:18 PM
Blue lady i really love you avatar. what is that from?

cutekawaii
11-24-2002, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Maryssa
I think every one of us has accidentally sewed a sleeve hole closed ^^;;; Derrrrr Ah yes, but have you sewn a sleeve to the neck hole? After taking out the sleeve, I sewed it onto the sleeve hole. but I did it upside down, so the cap was at the bottom.

This happened at 3am the day before dragon con. weeee

cutekawaii
11-24-2002, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by SailorAndromeda
Next time you need to spray something anywhere a car may drive, warn all who drive in your household.
~*liz* Haha! I can relate...sorta. I was working on Ulala's back pack, actually, and I left it in the garage. Dad knew it was there so he didnt run over it, but I guess one day he forgot...it had been sitting out there for a while. Then after he ran over it my dog chewed the top off.

I left the hearts for my Eros costume on the driveway to dry, and once again the dog went to town....i hate that animal sometimes >< Also, when I was outside spraying the mask chrome, the sun reflected off of it, right into my eyes. I stumbled inside and everything was black...literally black....I seriously thought I went blinde. It was pretty scary.

cutekawaii
11-24-2002, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Jibrille
[BSorata: Let's fight and exchange witty banter!
Yuuto: Sounds like a lark!
-X handpuppet theater
[/B]

That is HILARIOUS!!!!! *dies laughing* Oh, those two~

cutekawaii
11-24-2002, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Karisu-sama
Must stop sewing when asleep, like Lilli says... :)

This is funny.

http://www.cosprey.com/share/UC_2k2_002.jpg

but so true....

BlueLady
11-24-2002, 11:02 PM
Side note ~ sorry to disrupt the thread, but I felt rude not answering a question. My avatar is of my own design, originally created as a CD cover for a friends band. It was also an experiment as I usually paint ,not use the computer.

Peppermintstix
11-25-2002, 02:10 PM
*nods* I usually paint too. But once I got into photoshop I couldn't stop. Did you draw the image first and then scan and color it? or did you do the entire thing in ps?

SailorAndromeda
11-25-2002, 04:17 PM
Nikki~ That's pretty funny about your mishaps, I'm glad I don't have a dog. I'm also glad you're not blind^^
I assume you meant Ulala from Space Channel 5? What is it about characters from that game getting run over? :P

mandichan
11-25-2002, 06:26 PM
When I was making my Ecoko costume, I did it all looking in the mirror and put the bow on the wrong side like an idiot!!! >_< The worst part is, I didn't notice till I got to Otakon.. ToT (Not like anyone else noticed, but still ^_^) I need to fix it and wear it again!!!! >:D

---Mandichan
http://mandichan.easter.ne.jp
http://shounenaigo.keenspace.com
http://ecoicepure.tripod.com
http://www.livejournal.com/users/mandichan

Amethyst Angel
11-25-2002, 07:17 PM
On the subject of not trying to sew when one is falling asleep, here's a corollary:

Never ever try to carve things with sharp objects if you're tired and it's after 11pm. Learned that the hard way one night. I was carving a wrist amulet for my Filia costume out of styrofoam and I cut such a deep gash in my thumb I had to go to the emergency room. Didn't get back home until 3 in the morning. Oy. I won't ever forget that lesson because I have a nice big scar to remind me of it... (Right close to the scar I got at my first day at Arby's when I was first trying to work the roast beef slicer, but that's a cautionary tale for another day...)

Kamui Motoaki
11-25-2002, 07:20 PM
my dumbest mistake is when i was sewing this foam thingy to Pleather. . .and i had the lil lock thingy up. .and sewed my middle finger. . .LoL. . .

BlueLady
11-25-2002, 07:28 PM
That one I did all in photoshop, but usually I will do a tight shaded pencil drawing and then scan it. I color it by using trasparent layers so I can keep the " hand drawn look " It's so easy to de-humanize a peice.;)

ling_xiaoyu2002
11-25-2002, 07:28 PM
OWwww...Kamui-Sama...did it get better? The only horrible or stupid mistake I remember to date was when I was making a bracelet one of those metal spiral ones...the metal went right through my index finger..I was in so much pain that I wandered down the stair and ended up cutting the backs of my feet open! It hurt really really bad!!! Oh well...it's better now!

cutekawaii
11-26-2002, 07:59 AM
Ah yeah, I had some chicken wire out to make a form or something and I stepped on a cut edge. 3 lil end things went into my foot. So I grimaced and pulled it out....kept coming...pulled somemore....kept coming....finally it came out x-x my foot was sore for 2 days after.

engrish
11-29-2002, 10:36 PM
My gosh these injuries are pretty serious. >_< Lucky for me I haven't accidentally stabbed myself with a sharp object.........................yet. I was at a sewing class one time and the whole class was in awe at how fast the instructor could stick pins into the fabric. Well she told us that if you do this enough then it gets pretty easy but she said she stabbed herself once with a pin right in the finger, right under the finger nail! O_o