PDA

View Full Version : "Be cruel, be brutal. Because heaven knows they will" (Sailor Venus)

dani
03-24-2004, 02:04 PM
(title reference compliments of The Producers)

I didn't feel ready to post here till now. But my costume has debuted at a con last week, so I guess it's time to submit myself to the critics... :)

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=120111&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=118879&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1
(and adjacent pics)

Dani
(takes cover)

Adara
03-24-2004, 02:32 PM
Ahh, the wig. That struck me first. Sailor Venus' hair is a light blonde. Its a more realistic color than Sailor Moons OMFGYELLOW colored hair, like your wig. Her bangs are also a little bit longer [pardon the nit-pickiness]

I think the orange part on the gloves should match the skirt and collar better. However, the actual construction of the gloves looks amazing. O.o I havent seen the ends of the gloves [the orange bumpy part] look that good anywhere else. They look cool, may I ask what you made them out of?

The round tubey part at the top of the skirt gets gradually thinner as it goes down into the V shape in front.

Other than that, great job!! ^_^ Much props for making a good Sailor Venus!

chibi_kitsune
03-24-2004, 03:15 PM
wow that's pretty good, that was based on the sera myuu ( or however you spell it)musical right?

dani
03-24-2004, 03:33 PM
Yes, Sera Myu. Here is a reference pic:

darkfirewolfe
03-24-2004, 03:39 PM
Your legs look great

Sammie_San
03-24-2004, 03:43 PM
Very Very Pritty ^^ I like the whole costume. and I agree the the colored part of the gloves should make the skirt and color ^^ buuut thats just me other then that I love it ^^ its the best Sailor Venus I've seen since. .well .umm. .actually i haven't seen anything better awsome job! I love the skirt so much awsomeness

Xx Lulu xX
03-24-2004, 04:28 PM
Great job!! I think overall its a great costume, cept like everyone else said, the bumy glove things shouldve matched...and i think you shouldve used a matchign wig cap, cuz you can see your natural hair under the wig.

Lu

Tenshi
03-24-2004, 05:19 PM
OK, you asked for a critique and I'll give you one, as a ridiculously anal fellow Sera Myu costumer ^^.

I think the biggest detraction is your wig. I know how hard it can be to find good-quality wigs, especially that long, and on a budget. But, if your wallet allows, I would suggest buying a yellow Enchantment wig from Amphigory and cutting bangs into it. You might have to get some extensions for the pulled-back part as well.

I also noticed the mismatched glove puffies. Some myu Venuses have blue puffies. You might want to go that route if you're having trouble finding the right orange.

The gold trim on the collar runs on the edge, not set in like the anime. I have no idea if you intentionally did that or not, it's just an observation ^^.

I noticed something on your Myu costume that almost everyone forgets -- the gold trim on the skirts overlaps the edge, like a piece of double-faced bias tape. What I did to solve this problem was to sew on a strip of gold bias tape, then sew the pineapple trim over it. It's a pain because you have to either machine stitch it insanely slow or handstich it, but it turns out beautifully!

It looks like you used satin on your bow, correct? I might be wrong, but eh :P. I need new glasses. Anyways, providing you can afford it, I would try to get some tricot lame. It's hideously expensive, but it's nearly perfect for the bows. Satin is a good cheap alternative, though.

OK, after all my nitpicking, I have to say that you did a wonderful job overall! Myu costumes are the devil, and you handled it better than most I've seen ^^.

Adara
03-24-2004, 05:54 PM
Ah, sorry!! I guess the wig color isnt wrong after all. ^^; I knew it wasnt one of her regular costumes, but it didnt occur to me that it was based on the Sera Myu costume. And the bumpy belt-ish thing is the right width too... >.>;;

so sorry!
*scampers off and hides in a couch*

Infini
03-24-2004, 06:08 PM
In the reference image it looks like the elbow/sleeve bumpy things are the same color, but a different material the other orange bits. I imagine that it would be very difficult to replicate that. I love the fabric choices, and I think you did an awesome job!

Everything comes together so well on your costume, and the only thing I would recommend (which has been stated already) is the wig style. It looks like the color is accurate, but if you got a better quality wig to go with the costume then I think that would just add the perfect touch.

I'm really dissapointed that I didn't get to see your costume at TAC since I arrived too late. -_-

-Infini

dani
03-25-2004, 12:45 PM
Gee... tough crowd :)

Just kidding. It's exactly what I needed. It's like proofreading. Once you've read something too many times you can't see the errors anymore, and need to borrow an extra pair of eyes.

I'll address some of the points that were raised:

- The gloves cuff: on the reference pics, sometimes it looks shiny orange, and sometimes gold. My stock of possible fabric includes orange creppe, orange broadcloth and gold lame. I didn't used either. Instead I found a very shiny orange tricot that has tiny round silver dots stamped, like mini mirrors. It its a lighter orange but I thought the little sparkly dots would make a nice effect. It would be easy to redo them, with either the crepe, or the gold lame. Actually, I plan to include a hidden card-pocket into my next version of cuffs.

- I DID use a wigcap. For reasons too boring to detail, I met the wig and the wigcap for the very first time when I was getting dressed with my costume, the day of the con. That meant I had no time to play with them and do adjustements. For next time, of course, I'll be a lot more careful, including shaving my sideburns so they don't show.

- Re the wig itself, it's the closest I've found , so far. I'll keep looking, locally, for something better. Doing mail-order from the states is something I'm not too fond of, as it involves exchange, international shipping, and other paperwork. Having this "somewhat similar" wig already, I'm in no hurry so I'll definitely keep looking but without a deadline.

- The outer collar trim runs on the edge. That detail escaped me because I didn't look at the proper reference. I had the school uniform collar in mind. If I ever redo the collar I'll take care of this. It would be an outrageous amount of work to fix this now, as the collar has a top and a bottom piece top-stitched, that would have to be taken apart to rip and re-sew the trim.

- The blue bow is made of satin backed creppe, on the satin side. Not cheap but shiny enough and the crepe makes it more structured. It has netting inside to make it even stronger. If I see the proper tricot lame I could replace it, as I became some kind of an expert in making bows :)

I plan to be at Ad-Astra on sat afternoon, for the locals who wants to pay a closer inspection.

Thanks ALL for your comments....

Dani

Kurai Kaze
03-25-2004, 02:43 PM
My critique is more an issue of personal preference: I was never particularly nuts about the bright yellow wigs. That was one of the few hair colors that was easy to interpret into a real hair color, still, it is a Sera Myu (with bright yellow hair and all) so for this particular costume it works. You did a good job. My want to take a warm rag and straighten out the back of the hair just a little. Not too warm or else the entire wig will melt together, though.

Limeyaku
03-25-2004, 04:37 PM
the only suggestion i really have ( other than the gloves which have already been adressed and explained ^_^ ) would be makeup. makeup makeup makeup! use a nice concealer and a powder to lighten up your face and minimize shine. in a couple of your other photos it looks like you used coverup to make your eyebrows seem smaller too, which is great! try looking into something that can temporarily colour eyebrows too. some anime-ish eyeliner and light pink lipstick would triple the femininity. ^_~ nice work!

Saria
03-27-2004, 07:55 AM
Omigawd, wow. O___O Awesome. ^____^

Eleryth
03-28-2004, 12:37 AM
Also, something that I have noticed on me personally, fake eyelashes really help the eyes stand out, and might help make it more feminine looking. Lots of Japanese girls wear them here, and there's so many different styles, I would be surprised to find out if the SeraMyu didn't wear them (I know nothing about them other than being able to recognize a myu outfit from a normal one). Might be worth looking into.

Have fun at AdAstra! (P.S. Enter the Masq! I hear they are looking for entries, as they usually have around 20 or so)

dani
03-28-2004, 01:13 AM
some anime-ish eyeliner
What eyeliner would you consider anime-ish?
fake eyelashes really help
Not time for Ad-Astra, but I might experiment with them for AN.
Have fun at AdAstra! (P.S. Enter the Masq! I hear they are looking for entries, as they usually have around 20 or so)
That's the plan. I want to enter. Still debating about what to do when on stage...

Thanks all for comments, suggestions and kudos....

Dani

Eleryth
03-28-2004, 03:26 AM
Hmm. If you wanted something really simple for the skit, see if you can get a copy of her opening phrase....its been ages since I watched SM, so I don't remember how it goes... or write one yourself, then either have the MC read it while you strut and pose your "entry sequence", or have a female friend read it, or see if you can get a voice clip of it to use on stage. I suggest using something prerecorded onto a CD (you can download equipment and the like for use on the computer) and if you don't have time to do that, go the MC route.

And my own "anime-ish" eyeliner - I use liquid liner, and fairly thick but not really thick, just to make my eyes stand out more than they do normally. Requires some experimentation and a steady hand, but usually works out ok. There's an entire thread in the makeup section on liquid liner.

Good luck!

cutekawaii
03-28-2004, 10:57 AM
eyebrows O_O

~Nikki

TristenCitrine
03-28-2004, 11:51 PM
Meep. This is my first time on the critique, but I've done this cosplay, soooo I figured I'd put in my two cents. I'm also going to use my programmes and memory from seeing the show in person to help me out. :)

You have chosen to do the Seramyu Super Sailorvenus, wheras I made the earlier "S" version. They are pretty close and use a lot of the same materials.

I'm going to start from the skirt and work upward. Please excuse my nit pickiness.

Skirt-
Honestly, I think it is a little short on your body. In Seramyu, the bodices are cut a little shorter and the skirts a twinge longer. Same length overall, but the proportion is different. The fabric is a mid weight twill weaveish dull crepe or even a thick cotton would work. I used a mid weight crepe for mine. In the show it is matte and holds a pleat well. Your pleats are also a little on the thick side for the reference pictures you provided. In earlier shows yes, the pleats were a tad thicker and lately, they seem to get thinner. I applaud you on making them go the right direction, though! Overall nice.

Trims. The main trim is a gold woven mylar and LOTS of it. it is used on the collar, bodice, bows, and skirts. You appear to have used a sequin based trim and gold ribbon instead. On the skirts the trim is tricky because it has a gold facing on the underside and the entire perimeter is beaded on top with 4mm faceted gold beads by the yard. This is a very minor and tedious detail, though. However, the weight of the beads do help the skirts get their signature twirl. If you will be performing in this, I highly suggest the beads.

On the bodice and colar the trim is used as is with no beading.

The bows and gloves are supposed to be made from theatrical weight lame` or metallic coated tricot. The lame` will run you about $12-15 a yard and the tricot half that. Not cheap, yes, but hehe, Seramyu costumes weren't meant to be done on a tight budget :). Earlier shows appear to use the tricot, the later definitely use the lame`.

The insides of the glove tops should have the gold mylar trim as well.

The trim on the skirt roll should be the same faceted 4mm beads by the yard as on the skirt hem.

Depending on your Venus, the gloves could be orange or blue.

You sleeve bumps look nice and the beads you used are correct! However, in the sheer part, the fabric is shimmery but not irredescent and there are small flat sequins inside.

On the wig, the only way to get the true look of the show is to color a blonde wig. The standard yellow costume wig is neither thick enough nor does it have the right shading. This, along with all that hand beading is TEDIOUS.

The only other thing I could comment on is makeup. With stage costumes like these, you simply MUST wear eyelashes. The actress you showed also uses black eyeliner. Orange lipstick also adds a nice, Venus-y touch. (Remember her SuperS transformation sequence?) Makeup can do sooo much especially with a costume as bright and showy as the one you have chosen.

I'm so sorry to be so picky, but since you asked for constructive criticism, I thought I would do my best to provide it. Overall the look of your costume is nice and you did a very good job on it! You have every right to be proud of your creation :)

I look forward to seeing more work from you as well!

Lady
03-29-2004, 01:53 PM
Have you considered getting rid of the eyebrows via wax? I know I read in one of Kevyn Aucoin's books about using a wax to cover the eyebrows and then drawing in a new set via a pencil. I think that making the eyebrows thinner via this method might do alot*nods* I also agree with the wig and false eyelashes comments.

Really incredible costume. I wish I could costume that well.

And I want your legs.

dani
03-30-2004, 12:10 AM
I'm paying close attention to all the comments, and adding many things to my list of stuff to do, to experiment, to practice....
Now... the next con is this weekend, so I won't have much time for experiments. I'll basically bring to this con the same show I took to the last one. This doesn't mean I'm not listening here, just that I'm not comfortable with trying new stuff the day of the con.
After this one I have a month and a half before the following one, which should allow for incorporating some upgrades to my look.

Thanks all... keep them coming....

Dani

BTW: I think the quote of the thread title is very apropos for this situation. If you haven't seen The Producers.... go and watch it! you'll thank me :)

Xanthe Kelsylva
04-07-2004, 07:10 PM
Hmmm... I'd say the wig needs to be more realistic. Much more realistic. And your eyebrows need to match it.

livvylove
04-08-2004, 12:07 PM
Maybe the bow could be a little bigger and poofy. She seems to have a huge bow in the front. Everything else thats been mentioned too. Maybe thinning out your eyebrows would make it look nicer too.