PDA

View Full Version : Blood

onnawufei
03-29-2004, 01:34 PM
Well I think blood counts as makeup... hopefully.

I know there's always the fake blood standby of corn syrup and food coloring, but what is the best type of fake blood for clothing? I need to get blood spatters on a coat, as well as some big stains on a dress, and I want it to look at least somewhat decent.

Should I go out and buy some fake blood, or just use straight food coloring?

Oh, and while I'm asking, what's the best method for blood spatter? I've been told putting it in a syringe and pushing the plunger as hard and fast as you can will make good spatter, but I haven't tried yet.

Adara
03-29-2004, 03:44 PM
Ooh, fake blood on clothes is funn. I had bloody handprints all over a shirt for Halloween :D

The syringe idea sounds pretty good too me.
When me and my friends were painting some stupid wood thing in school, we used a kind of weird method that kind of made the paint look splattered. What we did was take a paintbrush and loaded it up with paint so that it was dripping with it, held it over the area we wanted to get the paint on, and just moved our hands really fast back and forth. The paint gets flung off of the brush in drips. It looks pretty cool.
Its not exactly splattering, but it could look like some blood got splattered up onto the fabric. It can get pretty messy, though.

If you have a cruddy spray bottle, the kind that doesnt actually spray, but rather makes the liquid just squirt out, that would probably work pretty well too. It would probably be the easiest to control where the blood goes.

Hope this helps. Good luck ^_^

Kokuu
03-29-2004, 06:57 PM
Ooo... Blood. Something I actually know something about >.< I just recently took a makeup workshop where we spent a lot of time working with blood. There are three types of special effect blood:

FX blood- This is the most standard type of fake blood. If a bottle is labeled "blood" chances are its FX blood. It's light in color and doesn't dry. This is good for a splatter effect. Beware, because it will stain ceramics.

Blood gel- This is very dark, almost black in color. However it does dry and clot.

Mouth blood- This is a special, flavored blood, especially designed for the mouth. The colors very from light to dark, and come in many different flavors such as mint and cinnamon.

For a splatter effect, take a black stipple sponge (can be found at any costume store), and pull off the hard edges with your fingers. Dip into the blood, and dab onto face/body. This gives the nice, random splatter effect, without being messy and unpredictable.

Wolfwood6
03-30-2004, 07:35 AM
I like your idea kokuu, But i think a random Splatter is much more effective then a controlled one. Unpredictability is a key factor when blood sprays. If you shot someone in the head you wouldnt have control of where the blood landed on you. I'm just saying that Unpredictability gives a much more realistic feel to a costume

::remembers his halloween Zombie costume:: lol

bipolarbunny
03-30-2004, 09:16 PM
well after watching CSI i have learned that blood spatter does make a difference, as it determines how the victim died, and therefore how the victim spattered you with blood.

for example, if you slit someone's throat, arterial spurt goes about 6 feet and comes out in a thick heavy spurt, like coming from a syringe

if you shot someone, blood would spray outwards from the wound in a circular way, such as from a squirt bottle (try taking a pin and stabbing some extra holes so the spray is irregular)

if someone stands over you and bleeds on you, gravitational drops would form circular or oval drops, such as holding a brush over the material and just letting it drip

you could drip your fingers in fake blood and flick your fingers outward to simulate blood moving at a fast speed, but you have to becareful where you position your hand.

and you would also have to keep in mind the position of your character in accordance with the position of the victim, reference pictures would help, or just someone with a good imagination
yes. too much tv.

LuckInSpades
03-30-2004, 10:25 PM
My blood splattering technique, which I used for a painting, and for other applications of fake blood:

Very similar to the toothbrush technique as mentioned by Sickness. What I do is I just take a very soft paintbrush (not plastic, stiff bristles) that is good sized (about 1/2" of bristles high, and 1/4" thick-ish), and load it up with the fake blood/paint.

Here is where you have to practice technique. Depending on the fake blood you get (do not use just food colouring. That will just soak into the clothing and looks horrible and fake), or if you just use red acryllic paint (which will work well on clothes for a permanent costume, since it will dry as is not water soluble once dry) make sure you add some water to whatever you use so they are a touch less on the gooey side, but just before they madly drip from the brush. A drip or two after you soak the brush is fantastic.

Here I have an illustration to help understand the technique
1) Soak the brush very well with your blood substance.
2) Position your non-dominant hand above the t-shirt (or whatever clothing article) about an inch or so, and so your index finger's side is facing up. You can position your hand higher or lower for different splatter intensities, lengths, etc. Play with this.
3) From not too high (don't overkill or anything) swing the brush down so about the middle of the handle strikes the edge created by the side of your hand and index finger.
4) Check out the splatter (the illustration is actually rather accurate as to how the splatter will look. There will be a considerable focus in the middle, and depending on the hight of your hand, the power of the swing, etc. there will be more side splatter).
5) Repeat from different angles, hights, etc. Be sure to get a lot of variation on a battle-stained shirt. Single injuries really only need one major splatter around the wound, but you can increase the splatter size by repeating the splatter in the same spot.

I hope this gives you some idea. You can probably do this technique with a toothbrush, too, if that is what you have. Just always do a test or two on paper each time you go to splatter something new, mostly to check the consistency of whatever blood-substance you use.

RoboGundam6
04-01-2004, 09:42 AM
Well what about kowagulated blood? You know for the zombie look.

Just a little off topic, but Nick Lachey said once on Newlyweds, the thought he had rigamortis -__-; sigh.... you only get that if your dead...or undead ^_^; I'd like to try a zombie version of Jill &/or Claire from Resident Evil/ Biohazard.

bipolarbunny
04-01-2004, 01:09 PM
i have this tube of fake blood that came in a make up kit, it dries and scabs like real blood, but it makes my skin tingle in a most unpleasant way.

you could try looking in costume stores for them, or try watered down acrylic paint, mix a bit of dark blue or black in with the red...but i'm not sure if that is ok on skin...

don't try the food colouring and cough syrup method, as it contains a lot of sugar and will crystalize

RoboGundam6
04-01-2004, 03:40 PM
Ok! Thanks bipolarbunny, I'll try that out, cuz I dunno if it will stain my c0stume or not.

Pata
04-01-2004, 08:18 PM
I did Kyo (Dir en Grey)'s blood-spattered labcoat from the Cage PV...I used red fabric dye, very concentrated, and a spray bottle. Got an awesome artery-spray effect, and then I had my sister dip her hands in it and do streaky clawing-grabbing handprints on the back. Awesome effect.