PDA

View Full Version : A Big Dinner Get-Together for AN

neko rinchan
03-29-2004, 08:37 PM
Hey, wouldn't it be fun if a big group of us cosplayers get together and had dinner one of the nights? Nothing's more fun than causing some big scene at a nice restaurant by wearing strange costumes... and it's really funny when the host puts all the costumed people in a dark corner away from everybody else...

Kaijugal
03-30-2004, 12:16 AM
Hey, wouldn't it be fun if a big group of us cosplayers get together and had dinner one of the nights? Nothing's more fun than causing some big scene at a nice restaurant by wearing strange costumes... and it's really funny when the host puts all the costumed people in a dark corner away from everybody else...

:bigtu: I'll be the first to say it sounds like a fun idea. Perhaps lunch would be better tho, the reason being , Friday night is the RED & WHITE SHOW and SKIT COMPETITION, (which many of the cosplayers will be in), and of course Saturday Night is the MASQUERADE and between last minute freaking out/getting ready, the check in times, the workmanship judging, the actually show itself, the awards ceremonies etc, who here actually ever gets a proper dinner on Sat night? *rueful chuckle*

If I had to choose. I'd say Friday before the RED & WHITE STARTS.

Any comments?

Cheers!
~Kai

Infini
03-30-2004, 04:27 AM
As long as I make it to Toronto by then, I would come.

-Infini

Kia
03-30-2004, 08:24 AM
Even after the Masquerade on Saturday night might be bad... I know I'll be furiously getting out of costume and ready for the dance. But I still like the sounds of a big dinner gathering type thing. Any suggestions on where to eat?

Irvy
03-30-2004, 10:29 AM
A dinner get together sounds like a lot of fun. I haven't been to the convention center before so I am not exactly sure where it's located and what's by it. But there's an awesome place called Freddie Tomatoes which you guys have probably heard of and that's a really nice place to eat. It's quality (and I do mean quality) Buffet food so we don't have to wait for our orders. It's kind of like a banquet.

dani
03-30-2004, 11:36 AM
I'd probably join, but... I can only go to the con one day and dunno if it will be fri or sat yet, depending if my group participates on the skit or the masquerade.
So if this lunch/dinner concides with my con day I'll be happy to go scaring the natives with you all :)
Dani

Jeannie
03-30-2004, 12:09 PM
That would be really funny lol
hehehe...my friends and I who are going as characters from Inuyasha plan on doing that for lunch on Saturday.

hellbelle
03-30-2004, 01:36 PM
(wrong person posted)

Sarcasm-hime
03-30-2004, 02:49 PM
I'd personally prefer a Sunday wind-down relaxing dinner...but other than that Friday is best. I'd be completely unavailable on Saturday night as I'll be DJing after the masquerade.

Bata
03-30-2004, 04:47 PM
(laughs) yep that would definatly scar waiters for life if everyone went in their cosplay outfits i can see the possiblities now ^^

lainey
03-30-2004, 05:07 PM
well there were 16 of us at East Side mario's at TAC...

a couple of us still went in BR uniforms...we just got some stares because of our very large group

Kawaii_Omi
03-30-2004, 05:50 PM
Well I'm going to be there on Saturday and it sounds like a great idea.Lunch is also good to but it depend son when I arrive -.-;. Plus I might be busy at the dealers room or getting ready for the dance.So ,If I can then I won't mind tagging along ^.^;;

Saffi
03-30-2004, 11:59 PM
i'd love to join! This time i'll keep track of when it is.. i'm so upset I missed the TAC one *sigh* oh well.. next time!

-saff

lainey
03-31-2004, 07:46 AM
i didn't go to the dinner organized on this board...

it's just because we had a large group anyhow and i doubt the restaurant could serve like 50 people

Squall1882
03-31-2004, 08:09 AM
I'll attend depending on the timing.. cause I plan on entering the masquerade, jrock cosplay and jrock fashion shows... so if it doesn't conflict with any of those then I'm in.. but is there any good restaurants in the area?

neko rinchan
03-31-2004, 11:19 AM
So, all you Toronto natives, what are some good restaurants in the area? And real restaurants, not like McDonald's or Timmy's. So far, it's either: Friday lunch, Saturday lunch or Sunday dinner. The problems with Friday is from 3 to 5 is the meet and greet of the AN guests (and for the out of towners, it's really hard to get there before 3). Saturday, from 11 to 1 (or something along those times) is the AN Momiji awards brunch. And Sunday, a lot of people will be leaving around dinner time ( I know I will). So, the Friday luch will probably end up being a late lunch, possibly during the meet and greet and depending on the time, the Sat lunch may be a late lunch as well. What we should do is pick time for all three days and have a poll vote and the day with the most votes will be the lunch day.

Akari
04-06-2004, 06:38 PM
I'd like to attend, but it depends if my parents let me. [They'd be like "Whoa, do you know those people o_____O?]

If they let me, that'd be awsome! We'd be in costumes going into a restaurant and it'd be funny if a kid saw and he'd be like "Mommy! It's ______ (fill in anime character)!" and that kid's mom would be like "Are you people dressing up like that so that you can kidnap my child??"

The greatness of it all ^________^

(I'd mostly come on Saturday, it's the only day I have)

xiola
04-06-2004, 07:21 PM
ok i just have ONE THING TO SAY:

after attempting many post-con dinners, post-anime club dinners and especially after last weekend, i'd like to ask WHO AMONG YOU HAS TRIED SEVERAL TIMES TO GO UNANNOUNCED TO A RESTAURANT WITH MORE THAN 20 PEOPLE? there is a certain percentage of time this will work and a certain percentage of time it will SO NOT WORK. unfortunately, the side of the equation you come out on is usually unpredictable, and whenever it's something important, or you're in a rush or you're really damn hungry, there's bound to be a hold up.

a) most restaurants don't even have SPACE for a single group of more than 20 people, but if they do, there will only be ONE area for a group of this size and if it is already being used you are effectively SCREWED. do not bother waiting, even if they say the group is getting their bill soon - large groups almost always sit around and talk for another hour.
b) if you try and organize it on this board and succeed and everyone who's involved also drags all their friends AT the con to this you will have WAY, WAY, WAY more than 20 people, unless it's a bad time of day.
c) if you're thinking "hey, no prob, we'll just make reservations ahead of time"... there's no good way you'll be able to guess at the number if you want to go the route of trying to make reservations ahead of time; you'll either make a reservation for 20 people and it'll turn out to be an unexpectedly bad time of day and no one will come, OR, you'll end up with like 35 people, and never get seated, and just be shoved off to the side for HOURS.

personally, thsi is why i've never bothered trying to organize a group dinner any way other than just grabbing whoever is around at the time, and i've STILL had to run around to multiple restaurants on MANY occasions and/or wait around for hours to get seated - and waiting to get seated at lunch hour at a con isn't good because everyone always has something specific they have to get back to.

anyway. feel free to ignore this. i'm just bitter. VERY VERY BITTER, DAMMIT! NEVER AGAIN! T_T;;;;

*skulks off to make pasta*

lainey
04-06-2004, 09:14 PM
that's why we want to keep our con dinner "small" even though it'll be like 20-25 people....it's not that we don't want people to come...if it's too big it'll be insane.

our TAC dinner was good just because i had organized everything carefully...even though the restaurant does NOT take reservations, i spoke to the manager for a good while and when we arrived we got seated in 5 minutes ^_^

kenhidaka
04-06-2004, 10:24 PM
Yes well we did have 20 going to a restaurant at TAC but half of them deserted us. Oh well. I'm willing to go if you need the space. I just rather not go Saturday. Too many good events on Saturday. Friday is good before Red and White.

xiola
04-07-2004, 02:36 AM
that's why we want to keep our con dinner "small" even though it'll be like 20-25 people....it's not that we don't want people to come...if it's too big it'll be insane.

our TAC dinner was good just because i had organized everything carefully...even though the restaurant does NOT take reservations, i spoke to the manager for a good while and when we arrived we got seated in 5 minutes ^_^

yeah, but "your" dinner isn't the one being organized on this board, i'm assuming. smaller un-huge groups are what i prefer to do when i make dinner plans as well, but i'm talking about the Big Huge dinner being organized here, and why i think it's a lost cause - so you're basically agreeing with me yet sound like you're arguing. *sighs*

not that i'm planning to go to this dinner anyway, i'm just going to my usual dinner with my usual people on sunday, and probably can't afford more than a coffeeshop lunch on saturday, so i don't know why i'm bothering to post on this thread ^^;;

lainey
04-07-2004, 07:33 AM
naaaw i agree with you xiola :D

that's why i stated....i didn't wanna be a part of the big organized dinners ^_^

it's just easier with smaller groups and friends ^_^

Kaijugal
04-09-2004, 02:13 AM
ok i just have ONE THING TO SAY:

c) if you're thinking "hey, no prob, we'll just make reservations ahead of time"... there's no good way you'll be able to guess at the number if you want to go the route of trying to make reservations ahead of time; you'll either make a reservation for 20 people and it'll turn out to be an unexpectedly bad time of day and no one will come, OR, you'll end up with like 35 people, and never get seated, and just be shoved off to the side for HOURS.

anyway. feel free to ignore this. i'm just bitter. VERY VERY BITTER, DAMMIT! NEVER AGAIN! T_T;;;;

Tee hee, that was more than one thing ^_^ *ducks* You wouldn't be speaking from experience would you. *winks* Take heart, there is a Tuckers Marketplace nearby. ^_^ I think with reservations it should be okay. :jjacks: In other news, I personally will probably not have time to eat, but who knows? :burger:

neko rinchan
04-09-2004, 03:32 PM
Well, how about this: On Saturday, at around 12:01 pm (noon - lunch time) all of those who would like to/can/etc have lunch, meet at the front/main entrance of the convention centre. And then, once we have the exact numbers, a lunch place can be decided upon. And if a lunch place (restaurant) cannot be found for whoever wants to have a cosplay lunch, then we can always get fast food somewhere.

Saffi
04-09-2004, 11:11 PM
Or we could always just bring some sandwiches, treats, snacks and drinks for ourselves and a bit to share and have a picnic type thing in an open area in the con center... *grin*

a potluck type thing might be easier...

just an idea that came to mind

-saff

Kaijugal
04-10-2004, 02:55 AM
Or we could always just bring some sandwiches, treats, snacks and drinks for ourselves and a bit to share and have a picnic type thing in an open area in the con center... *grin*

a potluck type thing might be easier...

just an idea that came to mind

-saff

That's a cool idea Saffi. ^_^ Hehehe You've just given me a funny idea. How about a "COSPLAYERS NEED TO EAT MEET AND GREET" panel? It's a one hour panel where we all get to sit and eat together and discuss how things are going. ^_^ LOL! I think it would be the first ever well fed cosplayer troupe!
:bigtu:

hellbelle
04-10-2004, 12:03 PM
(wrong person posted)

Irvy
04-10-2004, 12:24 PM
oooh, a potluck sounds like a really cool idea. I wouldn't mind doing something like that ^^

Lyulf
04-10-2004, 07:27 PM
There are a few asian restaurants right close to the con and a japanese steak house to in the Marriot, Ginkos japanese restaurant in the double tree, Sishi-Ya japan just across the street, to name a few

dani
04-10-2004, 08:07 PM
I think Kaijugal's idea of a "Lunch Panel" is very interesting, because we would have "official" time and space to do our picnic, which had been a problem in the past.

Unless the weather really decides to be on our side, and we could sit outside at some patio or garden the hotel may have.

Just a thought...
Dani

Ravnos
04-11-2004, 01:50 AM
You know what the problem is right? AN is in etobico , in the middle of buttf*^*) nowhere , unlike CN , which is downtown , the closest restaraunt which is any good to AN is on airport road and is an indian place. Well the only affordable place ..

Infini
04-11-2004, 04:01 AM
I think that the picnic is the best idea, since that way everyone is still close to the convention area. Maybe we can even send someone with a car out for donuts or something.

I'm going to be in the area on Monday, so I'll try to see what the setup is there.

-Infini

Chosuke
04-11-2004, 11:39 PM
I think I like Kaijugals idea the best so far.
As for saturday brunch...
Everyone will be wearing their best on saturday IMHO and won't have time to go out somewhere.
At least not the people I know.

Kyrie
04-12-2004, 06:12 PM
I'm all for the picnic idea, myself. I'll check back in to find out when and where, if it's what we decide on. I'd be able to suggest places where we could go if it was CNAnime or something else downtown, 'cause that's what I'm familiar with, but as for AN, I got nothin'. In any case, I'm new and haven't ever cosplayed at a convention before, so it'll be a nice way for me to meet people, hopefully. :bigtu:

(On the other hand, I'm not even 100% sure whether I can stay for the whole weekend or not -- but that's another story.)

Lyulf
04-13-2004, 05:27 PM
The Renaissance hotel doesn't look landscaped to well yet, it's still under construction as i saw of Friday. The hotel is easy to find though. :-)

Xanthe Kelsylva
04-16-2004, 01:01 PM
Ooh, I'm going to have so much fun wearing costumes and embarrassing Murray! :D I'll see if he'll let me do this.

Bata
04-17-2004, 07:46 PM
YAY to picnics!