PDA

View Full Version : An odd question...

Pata
03-30-2004, 08:28 PM
Hi ho ^^; I've been reading the crossplay boards for a long time and it seems like you're all very helpful...so I hope someone can give me a few tips on an interesting problem I've run into.

How does a female CONVINCINGLY cosplay a man...dressed as a woman? I'm a female Jrock cosplayer and I really want to accomplish the effect of being (in short) a man in a dress/makeup/whatever without looking as though I skipped the guy step. I find that a lot of the charm of this kind of cosplay is lost if it just looks like a girl wearing a girl's outfit, instead of having the male element in there. Am I making any sense at all? ^^;

I've "strapped down" every time, and I've worked on my posture and carriage...but something is missing. Does anyone have any tips for preserving the "male" appearance and air while wearing makeup and feminine clothing?

WoodenCoyote
03-30-2004, 09:37 PM
A woman playing a man dressed as a woman? Um... o.o you got me there.

Zhalfirin
03-30-2004, 09:41 PM
I as well am pretty stumped on this one...the only help(at the moment) I can give is it'd be pretty kuu to look like you have a 5 o' clock shadow goin' on...would add to the effect without being too over the top.

vash_humanoid
03-30-2004, 11:25 PM
well... are u gunna make it so its obviously a guy dressing as a oman or a passable guy dressing as a woman?

if ur trying to make it obvious that ur soppose to be a guy, you can wear the girl clothing but have broad sholders and less hips and butt. there is a thread on how u can d those things in here. then once you have the sholders and stuff put on the outfit and maybe try putting on make-up differently (if there is a way *_* im a guy so im just trying my best ^^v) and that should werk ok... the rest is the way u act, try not walking with so much hip, altho i hear its hard for a girl to do that, hehe, and walk more like a guys, not so much in a straight line with the feet and all...

if ur trying to do the guys as passable you could... uhhh... just wear the costumes regularly i guess *_* hope i hlped ^_^.

topleka
03-30-2004, 11:41 PM
Well, if you strap down and use the right posture, then you don't really have to look too many or anything, right? Since you'll be doing J-rock, the makeup will help a lot. Guys and girls have differently shaped facial features, and if you copy the male features more (thinner lips, lower brows, etc.) it might look more masculine.

dani
03-31-2004, 12:10 AM
I would study the makeup of people like Annie Lennox. In some of her videos she purposedly looks like a guy in drag.
Dani

Decibella
03-31-2004, 02:23 AM
Heheh, nice reference, Dani! Love Annie Lennox. She was actually dragged into court to prove that she wasn't in fact actually a man.... but that's besides the point.

I'd say it's all about attitude. and big feet...

Pata
03-31-2004, 01:56 PM
Hey, the Annie Lennox idea is really good ^^; Thanks, and thanks for all the suggestions, everyone ^_^

It's just kind of hard to look like a man who is as made-up and beautiful as a woman...they're small, they're clean-shaven, they don't usually have very broad shoulders or anything...

I've experimented with facial contouring using makeup to give the illusion of stronger cheekbones, but it ends up looking pretty unnatural and therefore missing the point :/ I need practice.

For example...that's me in my icon. The redhead in my sig is the person I was cosplaying. I don't know what I'm doing wrong T_T;;

Karisu-sama
03-31-2004, 09:27 PM
The person on the right of your sig has a more angular face with a lower collagen content typical to many males (and many woman past their 20's), but the left-hand pic looks completely like a girl (angle? pose?). However, the right-hand pic could still persuade people that there's a "she" under all that makeup, just one with wider more stick-out lips and somewhat lower brows.

Extremely androgynous. More like the look would read as "male" more if you actually KNOW it's male.

ACXchan
04-03-2004, 03:55 PM
Pata, there's a movie coming out soon about two women that sneak their way into a drag queen show and try to pass themselves off as men costuming as women. You might want to check that movie out just for fun and maybe even some tips on how to pull this type of costuming off ^ ^ The movie is called Connie & Carla, it's by the people who produced My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

edit: My bad, one of the characters is played by Nia Vardalos, the woman from My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

inertia
04-03-2004, 10:03 PM
It helps if what you're wearing is recognizable as "drag" to everyone, like in Victor/Victoria. Julie Andrews did an *incredible* job of looking like a man dressed as a woman. Unfortunately jrock costumes don't have that feeling outside of Japan...

There's only so much you can do to change your look. If you have big hipbones, you're stuck with them. (like me -_-) But one thing I've found that always ups my masculinity factor is to have a REALLY feminine companion, preferably one who's both shorter and much more voluptuous. I'm lucky to be in Japan, where there's no shortage of girls who are tiny and cutely feminine in a way that makes me look masculine. It's unbelievable -- my "Metamorphose" Kamijo costume and hair/makeup looks very feminine if I'm by myself, but as soon as a tiny Mana or cute Lolita stands next to me I suddenly become much more "male". o_o

Schu
04-05-2004, 10:50 PM
One thing I've noticed with a lot of female crisscrossplayers is they are way too pale to look like the jrockers they are going for. You might try a strong yellow based foundation underneath the ultra pale powder. Also, play down your upper lip alot. Go for thin, bright lipstick, possibly even using foundation over part of your lips to make them smaller. also, like Karisu-sama said, really play more towards androgyny than going so far as looking like a guy looking like a girl.