PDA

View Full Version : Anbu Cosplay - please help?

PanDo
03-30-2004, 11:28 PM
hmm...i am totally new at this so i need help...i want to cosplay as an anbu either the ones with the robe (that seems a bit easy) or the kakashi kind...i just need help with putting together the clothes (the vest and arm guards) i already know how to make a mask...so if anyone has experience with this your help with be appreciated

heres an example of the kakashi kind http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Club/2574/anbu.jpg

thanks again!

Eleryth
03-30-2004, 11:51 PM
For starters, you only need to post in one forum; people will find it.

Second, try this thread: http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=23305&highlight=anbu+kakashi

Third, to search a forum, use the purple button in the upper right corner, and enter your search words. They have to be at least 4 letters long, though.

There's another thread about the anbu with the robes - basically, its the usual anbu with a black robe on top. It's only got 3 or 4 posts in it. You can find it using the search method I suggested.

You can check out the props forum or the FAQ if you want armor making advice.

Also, since many people are wondering how to make the masks, think you could share your method? :bigtu:

FiFi
03-31-2004, 12:43 AM
hmm...i am totally new at this so i need help...i want to cosplay as an anbu either the ones with the robe (that seems a bit easy) or the kakashi kind...i just need help with putting together the clothes (the vest and arm guards) i already know how to make a mask...so if anyone has experience with this your help with be appreciated

heres an example of the kakashi kind http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Club/2574/anbu.jpg

thanks again!
Anbu...I love the Anbu outfit~~~~
well the arm guard...= =b how can I explain it to you?!! I know how to make them...just.....arggggg.....not good with English T.T
well, most of the Chinese cosplayers they use normal fabric, polyester mostly, or or something that's stretchy to make the arm gard. The thickness of it nor the hardness of the armgard have been denial by most of them~ o>v<o

How do you make the mask?? I can't figure that part out~!

PanDo
03-31-2004, 01:27 AM
well Iím going to use a balloon, (or something close to the size of my head) and mold a mask using paper mache, which consists of glue and cut up paper. Once I have the shape id cover the paper up with clay and then sculpt it to the shape I want. Iím not sure if Iím going to fire the clay because it usually needs about 300 degrees and when I tried it myself at home my project blew up...so Iím going to try to find clay that dries and hardens...hahaha...but Iíve made a mask before so this method does work

oh im sorry about posting twice i thought that no one saw it...hahaha and thanks for the advice!

Karisu-sama
03-31-2004, 05:06 AM
I saw it, and I'm going to merge your threads.

PerniciousJuJu
07-08-2004, 01:16 PM
I'm also looking for anbu masks. I noticed that some anbu cosplayers have the animal like look in the anime. I tried making it out of paper mache but it didn't turn out so well. Now my only choice is to make buy a regular human mask and make it look anbuish. Is there anyway i can get the real anbu masks?

WaZzUp115
07-14-2004, 03:28 PM
hm.. i want an anbu mask too... im thinking of taking bandages and dipping it in plaster and just lay it all over my face and let it dry.. it works.. :)
but the ballon and paper version also works.. dunno wich ones best...

also should the wests be gray or white??
its grey in the anime... but many cosplayers have white.. and some pictures too...

Eleryth
07-14-2004, 07:50 PM
I think most cosplayers wear white because they use tanktops or alter t-shirts. I personally think the grey should be quite light (not a dark grey) for the vests if you are choosing fabric to make your own.

Some people use human-shaped masks first, and build them up with paperclay. I haven't seen "ANBU" masks, but the 100 yen stores in Japan usually sell a 'fox demon' mask that is somewhat similar, so you might be able to find a store online that sells them. It's thin plastic, though.

WaZzUp115
07-15-2004, 05:44 AM
but what _IS_ an "anbu" mask?
you mean the back of the mask should be round?
you could do that with a balloon

Eleryth
07-15-2004, 08:14 AM
I think "Anbu" masks are just masks that have an animal essence to them - some have ears, some fox snouts, some bird-like features... anything. Make a neat mask, and I am sure it'll do. Most are oval shaped, so they cover your face.

HuongStar
07-15-2004, 09:58 AM
I haven't seen "ANBU" masks, but the 100 yen stores in Japan usually sell a 'fox demon' mask that is somewhat similar, so you might be able to find a store online that sells them. It's thin plastic, though.

I actually prefer how the Japanese cosplayers do the ANBU costumes and it looks like the trend is catching on here in U.S. :heart: I've seen many Japanese cosplayers with the same style mask that you're describing but they seem more "substantial" than flimsy plastic. Are there any masks like you described, except higher quality?

By the way, are you going to TGS?

WaZzUp115
07-15-2004, 01:31 PM
hm.. my misstake.. i thought you where saying that you havent seen any "real ANBU" masks.. and that you meant that the ones wich other cosplayers use are "not real"... :P

i think ill use the balloon technique...
and maybe i can persuade my dad to buy a katana for 130$ :)

Eleryth
07-15-2004, 11:34 PM
I've seen many Japanese cosplayers with the same style mask that you're describing but they seem more "substantial" than flimsy plastic. Are there any masks like you described, except higher quality?

By the way, are you going to TGS?

I haven't looked for more substantial masks, but I am sure there are. I think they're used at special festivals... I haven't kept a look out, but if I see a good one, maybe I can make note of it. Chances are, a store in Tokyo or Osaka or something would have them.

No, sadly, no Game Show for me. I don't have the time or money... I *really* wanted to go to the Character Show, but maybe I can go next year. It's too far away for me - I'm up in Aomoriken. I am going to Comiket, though. Quite excited! Can't wait to see all the Naruto cosplay. I'm actually planning Tsunade (but not for comiket) - bought shoes yesterday. :)

WaZzUp115
07-16-2004, 06:45 AM
hm.. i think ill go for a white colored west..
seen alot of people whom have it and it looks cooler than grey IMO.. :)
also those arm protector.. things.. what are they made of? iwe seen some that have ones in metal others in fabric and some in white..

HuongStar
07-16-2004, 03:18 PM
I haven't looked for more substantial masks, but I am sure there are. I think they're used at special festivals... I haven't kept a look out, but if I see a good one, maybe I can make note of it. Chances are, a store in Tokyo or Osaka or something would have them.
Do you know what they're called? I've scoured the internet for any kind of online store that carries masks but no one has anything remotely like those mask! >_<

rdawg5
07-16-2004, 04:02 PM
Don't worry about the mask too much. As long as it looks like an animal and it's white, it's good. All my references pictures show them to be white. Some don't even have the shape of a particular animal, as some of them appeared to be generically oval, and had designs on the face to give the impression of a particular animal. Not one of my references shows a "back" to the mask ... it's all "frontal." I also don't see any elastic or string used to keep the mask on though, but they probably focus their "chakra" to their faces and keep the mask on that way [in reference to the Naruto manga/anime].

I'm not sure about using bandages or papier mache, but celluclay is pretty good and consistent as long as you don't allow for "lumps" and holes. Then sand, baby, sand!!!

BountyBebopLuva
10-23-2004, 03:02 AM
Allllllrrrright! I say make the arm protector armor thingys out of craft foam! Lookie at the neat thingy! (http://entropyhouse.com/penwiper/costumes/helmsdeep.html) I asked Gen who did this if it hold up if I made the arm protectors out of that and she said yeah, just double the foam. I'm doing a "le femme" Kakashi.. female style Kakashi all the way, babah! Lol.. and I've been wondering about the vest as well. I'm doing the rest with really tight black pants and a black turtleneck which I'm gonna chop up.. so.. yeah.. o.o :bigtu:

kerochan
10-24-2004, 01:39 PM
Another way to make the mask is to get a wig head and papermachie over it. I did 2 masks this way and they came out pretty good(has to post pics) and I used thin clear bead elastic called Stretch magic to hold the mask in place and its hardly noticable at all. For the armor stuff I made a template of what I thought the armor looked like out of foamies then I covered it with the same stretchy white vinyl that I used for my vest and put elastic to hold it in place. The armour doesn't way too much either.