PDA

View Full Version : You're at a con....

!*Jessi-Chan*!
11-17-2002, 08:50 PM
You're at and ANIME convention when Harry Potter comes by. Or the Powerpuff Girls. Or a Power Ranger. So, what are your thoughts on what can and shouldn't be cosplayed at a con. I think that anything fictional should be cosplayed, but only the japanese oriented costumes can be judged for awards. I'm planning on going as a Gryffindor Quidditch player at a con and just want to know what everyones thoughts were on the subject! :D

XxNANA_AYUxX
11-17-2002, 08:53 PM
....i think... ehh? ehh.. not Anime=ish but HEY it;s still cosplay!

sailor-moon
11-17-2002, 09:00 PM
its an anime convention "ANIME" japanese animation.

Usagi

XxNANA_AYUxX
11-17-2002, 09:07 PM
WELL shoot me in the head while on high on penicilin! Nu'DUH. i know it's an anime con nu'duh duh duh.. still i kinda think if it's an anime con dress as anime or manga chars. but i really don't care, it's still cosplay... i'm i done?

Gingerbread Man
11-17-2002, 09:09 PM
hey, the powerpuff girls rule! also I personally think that anime kids should be very acceptant, I mean, if someone want's to run around in a kilt (nekocon) then that's fine by me, it's all fun....or at least that's what I think....

!*Jessi-Chan*!
11-17-2002, 09:09 PM
I think that too. I mean yea sure go as an anime charrie...but if you wanna have fun go as what yoa want!!!!! I love Harry Potter so i'ma BE harry potter[not exactly.....but you get the pciture] I really don't care what anyone thinks as long as i'm ahving fun

Spooky Brew
11-17-2002, 09:10 PM
Go to a Star Wars convention dressed up as a anime character and ask them how they feel.

sailor-moon
11-17-2002, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by XxNANA_AYUxX
WELL shoot me in the head while on high on penicilin! Nu'DUH. i know it's an anime con nu'duh duh duh.. still i kinda think if it's an anime con dress as anime or manga chars. but i really don't care, it's still cosplay... i'm i done?

::takes out bunny gun, aims and shoots:: yeah you're done alright..... mwhahahah:devil:

XxNANA_AYUxX
11-17-2002, 09:17 PM
::twitch twitch::

Sami
11-17-2002, 09:20 PM
It makes me a little twitchy, because Harry Potter has absolutely nothing to do with Japan aside from the fact that some doujinshi were published and a lot of anime fans seem to be Harry Potter fans as well. I don't mind it, but I probably wouldn't do it myself.

Didn't I just say this in a different thread a few days ago..? ^_^

sailor-moon
11-17-2002, 09:20 PM
MWAHAHAHAAA^o^ ^.~

Usagi

XxNANA_AYUxX
11-17-2002, 09:23 PM
i like HP, ::Harry is gonna' be a cute guy when he grows up!::

!*Jessi-Chan*!
11-17-2002, 09:24 PM
well......i guess i'm more of a hardcore HP fan then Anime because with Anime there's more a variety to love and hate, but with HP there really isn't and i just LOVE it....and i loved it before anime so....but i still like Anime, but only a selective few....AND *whew* don't even really like to cosplay from an anime...i'm always making up original anime characters....don't really know why...just do. When i 1st got into cosplay it was because the HP movie came out and i wanted to make the costume. And cosplay is the Costume Play....the name doesn't really limit you to anime....well...there's my life story....

!*Jessi-Chan*!
11-17-2002, 09:25 PM
oh yea...he's gonna be REAL cute..*dreaming*

sailor-moon
11-17-2002, 09:29 PM
i dont care for him much.

Usagi

Sion
11-17-2002, 09:38 PM
When I think of Harry Potter, I think like Dilandau... "MOERU MOERU!!!" That pretty much is self explanitory on what I think about non anime things at anime conventions, just doesn't seem right.

Yeah and I agree on the "try going as an anime character to a star wars con and see how they feel" Its the same thing.

Eriku-san

sailor-moon
11-17-2002, 09:44 PM
haha^^ take a look at this, and it wa an anime sci fi con^.^

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=14584&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

Maryssa
11-17-2002, 09:56 PM
I think its fine for people to be fans of HP and other things like that. But I do not think it belongs at an anime con. Maybe a general fantasy con or a costume party... but not a japanese animation convention -_- Its like HEY i am in a costume, take my picture even though i have nothing to do with this convention, Its a costume and you must love me for it! Not everyone comes off that way, but that is definitely one scenario. THis is also my feeling regarding original costumes.

An anime con is just that; i do not feel it is just an excuse to dress up in any old thing other than your regular clothes.

sailor-moon
11-17-2002, 10:10 PM
nicelly said maryssa! so smart,...getting out of V-Babe character? :thumbsup:

Usagi

Maryssa
11-17-2002, 10:21 PM
ehe ^^; hey I am an old fart, I am more mature than most think! Though I dont always act it!

And ppppbbbbtttt =p v-chan was smart in the manga! dont be dissin on mah chica ;D

sailor-moon
11-17-2002, 10:25 PM
true tru she was^.^ i love the sailor V mangas there so cute^.^

Usagi

Jinx
11-17-2002, 10:49 PM
I don't think Harry Potter and such don't belong at anime cons either... I mean, yeah, it's cosplay, but they're not _cosplay_ conventions now... there are other places to cosplay HP, Star Wars, etc...

sailor-moon
11-17-2002, 10:57 PM
yea, sci -fi cons^.^

Usagi

Jibrille
11-17-2002, 11:21 PM
i dont really care.
its just more variety of costumes to look at. ^^
and i definitly have no problem with it as long as things like the masquerades and whatnot are anime only.
other than that i dont care what costumes people walk around in.
cosplay what ya like i always say. ^_^

psythe
11-18-2002, 07:55 AM
Lots of conventions tend to have representatives from other types of cosplay. *shrugs* Doesn't really bother me, I'm more inclined to be like "Oh, check it, a Slytherin student", because they are set apart from the other costumes.

Sami: Yeah I think another thread was already up ^^v

Daitenshi
11-18-2002, 08:11 AM
I don't think HP really belongs at an anime con, but not everyone has the luxury of wearing it to a sci-fi or comic con. Trying to justify it using doujinshi as examples, however, is kinda pathetic...

As for American characters.... eh..... I'd rather not see it at an Anime con.

Nietsche
11-18-2002, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by sailor-moon
its an anime convention "ANIME" japanese animation.

Usagi

...which would thus make games, manga only and jrock unacceptable as cosplay choices....
I think i wrote a longer reply on a previous thread of a similar vain...

quite frankly i don't care much for Harry Potter or Star Wars cosplay but it doesn't offend me if i see them at anime conventions. I will favour costumes of anime, anime related, game related, manga related even anime inspired Korean game related persuasion. Thay are the ones that'll grab my attention anyway.

engrish
11-18-2002, 10:01 AM
Storm troopers and Sailor Scouts unite!!!

I'm a pretty laid back type of guy. I don't mind if non-anime costumeers show up. Besides isn't there some type of weird anime con law that says there has to be at least 1 Star Wars/ sci fi cosplayer floating around at each con?

Lovelyangel_81
11-18-2002, 11:04 AM
It wouldn't bother me, but when you see more Star Wars, Harry Potters, or Star Trek cosplayers than anime cosplayers. Then we got a problem. I like Harry Potter. Personally, I wouldn't cosplays any Harry Potter or whatever to anime cons. To me, it's okay to see a couple, but not con full of them.
...that's my 2 cents...^__^

Koumori
11-18-2002, 11:40 AM
I'm not the Cosplay Police, and I don't want to be. I wouldn't wear a non-anime or non-Japanese-media-related costume to an anime con, but I see no reason why I should tell anybody else what they can or can't wear.

engrish
11-18-2002, 12:23 PM
I predict in the future there will be even more sci fi costumeers and non-anime costumeers in general at anime cons. why???

because anime cons are growing by leaps and bounds. It's the hot new place to be unlike most of the other cons that are either flat lining or going down.

Radical Urd
11-18-2002, 01:07 PM
WAH!! NANA YOUR SO RIGHT!! HARRY IS GOING TO BE SOOOO CUTE WHEN HE GETS OLDER!!! But for now I focus on Sean Biggerstaff the Quidditch team captain. I love Harry Pottter but honestly if it has nothing to do with Japan or Japanese culture i don't like it. And don't get me started on Star Wars at anime cons! What that has to do with anything Japanese i don't know, go to a Star Wars con dressed as Sailor Moon and see what you get. Everything has its place:
Star Wars costume=Star Wars Con
Anime Costume=Anime Con
Fantasy Costume=Fantasy/Science Fiction con
Come on people thats why they have them!

sailor-moon
11-18-2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by engrish
Storm troopers and Sailor Scouts unite!!!

I'm a pretty laid back type of guy. I don't mind if non-anime costumeers show up. Besides isn't there some type of weird anime con law that says there has to be at least 1 Star Wars/ sci fi cosplayer floating around at each con?

http://www.itsumademo.net/_Misc/stormtroopers.jpg

haha!

Bell-chan
11-18-2002, 01:48 PM
XD hahaha Star Wars! I personally didn't mind seeing Storm Troopers and Darth Vader in the halls at Anime Expo, but I thought it was weird that they were just standing there. (expecting photo shoots...?..yet I had walked through the building various times throughout the day...and they were still there). Unless they had a sign somewhere that I didn't see.

Hikaruchan
11-19-2002, 11:35 AM
I don't mind seeing non-anime stuff being used as hall cosplay. Makes for some great pics sometimes.

sailor-moon
11-19-2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Bell-chan
XD hahaha Star Wars! I personally didn't mind seeing Storm Troopers and Darth Vader in the halls at Anime Expo, but I thought it was weird that they were just standing there. (expecting photo shoots...?..yet I had walked through the building various times throughout the day...and they were still there). Unless they had a sign somewhere that I didn't see.

yea but that pic wa taken at a sci-fi anime con, there were leass anime cosplayers though, but slowely were gonna take over that con.!!!:devil: :bouncer:

Usagi

Sakura
11-19-2002, 02:12 PM
I get really annoyed when I see those damn storm troopers running around an anime convention... and Queen Amidala, too. Don't get me wrong, Star Wars and Harry Potter is cool and all, but while at a JAPANESE ANIME convention, try to stick with something of the culture ^_^;

Recca-kun
11-19-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by sailor-moon
haha^^ take a look at this, and it wa an anime sci fi con^.^

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=14584&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

The description on this is priceless. Thanks for the laugh! :D

If I see something that isn't with the culture at a con generally I won't be excited about it unless it's something I like or it's something silly (i.e. friends walking around conventions in home-made wrestling outfits can be quite funny). I don't really mind it that much either though, it's what they want to wear at the con. ^^;

!*Jessi-Chan*!
11-19-2002, 07:10 PM
hmm.....great o-pin-ions....[i always gotta keep posting on my own thread! heeheehee!] I dunno.......i'm still cosplaying HP quidditch uniform at AZ.......gonna make TWO now that i've found great pics of the slytherin's uniforms! [YAY!] I just don't find a problem with it. And original costumes are cool too! It proves you to be creative! [i'm more into original cosplaying....] I just hate the feeling that i'll go there and someone will be wearing the SAME costume and it'll be better then mine [if it's worst...don't care....but even I know when to say a costume looks better then mine.] Oh well......never been to con...can't wait to go to AZ!!!! WHOO HOO!!!!

sailor-moon
11-19-2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Recca-kun
The description on this is priceless. Thanks for the laugh! :D

If I see something that isn't with the culture at a con generally I won't be excited about it unless it's something I like or it's something silly (i.e. friends walking around conventions in home-made wrestling outfits can be quite funny). I don't really mind it that much either though, it's what they want to wear at the con. ^^;

glad it made some one laugh^.^

Maryssa
11-19-2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by !*Jessi-Chan*!
I just hate the feeling that i'll go there and someone will be wearing the SAME costume and it'll be better then mine

then you're missing the point of cosplaying entirely. thats kind of a cheap excuse to not wear anime-related costumes to an anime con. you should be dressing up for your love of an anime character, nto to compare it with anyone elses.

!*Jessi-Chan*!
11-19-2002, 10:34 PM
im not NOT gonna wear anime-related costumes....i was so it's not a cheap excuse not to wear them becasue i WAS gonna wear an Ash and a Sakura costume...i still AM gonna wear them! I mean i'm not really going there to compare my costumes.....don't really care what everyone else is wearing. It was just a statement.

Studmaster
11-19-2002, 10:49 PM
Hmmm....*Must do elaborate non J-Culture Charcter in the future*

Really unpopular Potential Ball Busting for myself opinion coming up.

Seriously though, I really don't care what you cosplay,or who you cosplay as in the halls of any convention. If you spent the time, effort and cash to make a nice Costume...go and wear that shit till it's ruined. As long as you're not taking any awards on the stage or in some cases Hall Contests, then they're not hurting anyone.

And as for the Star Wars Convention thing..It doesn't really count for starters on one level, it is Star Wars, it's a very central thing. If there was a Pokemon convention (God Forbid) would you cosplay as Sailor Moon. I know this can be reversed too, but here comes my other point.

Do we really want Anime conventions to become "J Culture Charcter or we're not your friends" type of environment. Sci-Fi conventions used to be like this, I really don't want to see Anime conventions become the same way.

Michi
11-20-2002, 12:11 AM
I could go off on a big tangent but I'm sorta sick right now... x_x So I'm just gonna say... If you aren't gonna cosplay from Japanese video games or anime, please don't compete. I don't mind Jrock so much, but I think AX had the right idea with their Jrock events/masquerade seperate from the main masquerade. If you find it insanely necessary to wear your Star Wars/Harry Potter/whatever costume, then go ahead and walk around in it... But remember there ARE better places to walk around in it, like general scifi/fantasy cons and the like. Just DON'T COMPETE. It just REALLY bugged me when I went to AnimeFest this year and a Queen Amidala entered the cosplay contest and GOT AN AWARD. I was really bothered by it. -.- Soooo. Yeah.

Daitenshi
11-20-2002, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by Radical Urd
Anime Costume=Anime Con
Come on people thats why they have them!

While I agree with the general catagorization, I feel that I must repeat not everyone has the luxury of going to more than one type of con. It isn't an excuse for Storm Troopers to start invading Anime cons, but it makes it quite forgivable to see one or two running around (who aren't part of a charity group or something).

Same really goes for original costumes. I'd love to wear my halloween costume to DragonCon, but that con is across the country from me and I may not be able to afford attending next year =/ But I love my costume and really want to wear it again, so maybe Fanime or AX......

As for people competing, Michi, I almost agree. non-anime/game/manga shouldn't compete _by itself_ at an anime con... but that doesn't mean it can't be integrated into a skit. For example: the Harry Potter/Hellsing skit at Nekocon =D
Unless, of course, the rules strictly forbid it.

Gah... imagine having "Cosplay Police" O.o...... "I'm sorry, ma'am, that RenFaire/Goth outfit isn't normal clothes or cosplay, I'm going to have to ask you to change." .........eh, no.

Nine
11-20-2002, 05:07 AM
If I saw harry potter walk by.. i'd shudder because I hate harry potter.

If I saw the powerpuff girls walk by I'd be stoked and want a picture with them, cause I love the powerpuff girls!

If i saw power rangers walk by, I wouldn't care... because power rangers were origonally japanese right? Hell even like half of the first series was filmed in Japan... remember Rita? XD She ruled.

I want to do a non-anime cosplay.. I want to cosplay Geri from the Spice Up Your Life preformance in the Spice World movie.. um yeah that probably means nothing to you, but here is a picture from it... lol. I'd prolly go to an anime convention in that with my other friend (who wants to cosplay Mel C.) lol ...or at least the mall XD

Shi
11-20-2002, 04:23 PM
Ideally, it is an anime con, and not a wizarding con and the like. I'm all for having fun cosplaying, but I personally think that cosplay at anime conventions should be realted to some sort of media centric Japanese culture. Happy Potter, Powerpuff girls, and the like just don't seem right to me, but that's just my opinion. In the end, you are cosplaying, and I suppose that's what really counts.

Lightning Count
11-20-2002, 07:52 PM
I refer to all costumes as cosplay....................so what??

Karisu-sama
11-20-2002, 08:56 PM
Costuming = making costumes (& to some, it also means wearing them). Cosplay = wearing costumes. The term "cosplay" predates anime cons AND its use in Japan, and while it is typically used to mean wearing ANIME costumes these days, that's not what it originally meant.
And since when is Star Wars NOT Science Fiction??

Gee, y'all are so LUCKY now to have all these "specialized category" cons; *cough*backinthegoodolddays*cough* all we HAD were "SF" cons, which really meant SF/Fantasy/Comic books/Anime/Gaming/Etc. cons. There WAS no specialization. (Shoulda been called Eclecti-cons!!)

Those cons had anime video rooms, and costumers walking around as Capt. Harlock and Rick Hunter from Starblazers, as well as Elves, Lensmen and Stormtroopers, Green Lantern and the Silver Surfer, et al.

There's always been crossover. EE Doc Smith's Lensman was made into an anime movie, Star Wars was made into a manga, George Lucas was HEAVILY influenced by Samurai movies when he made Star Wars... To try to draw unyielding "don't ever cross this!" lines between the genres now seems a bit arbitrary to me at this point. So many people who are into one type are also into several of the others...

For the record, all those "related" genres are STILL welcome at SF cons (many still have anime rooms too), even in the Masquerade. (We put an anime entry in the SF Worldcon Masq. this year - no problem.) They are still basically "Eclecti-cons", most of 'em...

I'm not saying that there should be straight Harry Potter skits in an anime con masquerade, but a Hellsing / Harry Potter spoof skit sounds hilarious to me, and should be just fine, IMHO.

Karisu-sama
11-20-2002, 08:59 PM
Addendum: The AX Tokyo committee is the VERY SAME group who is also putting out the Nippon bid for the 2007 Science Fiction Worldcon.

Just so you know. :)

MarshalBanana
11-20-2002, 11:41 PM
harry potter, stars wars, powerpuff girls, power rangers, et cetera belong at an anime convention just as much as j-rock and video game characters... if you are welcoming of anything that is not strictly anime then you must we welcoming of all things not strictly anime, to think otherwise is hypocritical.

Ringo
11-21-2002, 12:11 AM
Why should it be a problem at all?

-If you want to get technical. PPG is in Japan (dubbed with big seiyuu), Koge Donbo (creator of digi charat) does doujinshi of Harry Potter, Star Wars had a manga, and so did spawn. To me it's a all relative, wear what you like (as long as it's legal).

-If you want to argue non-anime at an anime convention you have to throw out all the J-rock, j-pop, and even video games. Is Final Fantasy an anime? All the video game cosplayers would have to leave their costumes @ home. And hey, even Harry Potter even has a video game.

-I have a friend who went to Comiket and he said there were tons of Harry Potter Cosplayers so it's the same here as in Japan.

- What happens if someone thinks you regular clothes are a costume? Or thinks your costumes isn't anime? There's is no way to judge.

*Besides just have fun that's what cosplay is about! * =D

Yes Daniel is going to be a very handsome you man, but I more of a Oliver Wood girl and Nine--> Spice Girls Rule!

scandia
11-21-2002, 06:41 AM
Sincerely, cosplayers should stay related to something related to Japanese animation, comic books, and video games. Hey, I don't even like J-Rock/J-Pop cosplay. Some things can be stretched a bit, such as an elf or fairy or princess extra. Last year I wore my dirndl and it could have been a female extra from any anime in a Germanic setting. But a specific character from a specific non-anime work, I dunno. For a general sci-fi convention, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Star Trek, and other fantasy works are perfectly acceptable though.

Nietsche
11-21-2002, 07:54 AM
In all fairness there are relatively few non-japanese originated cosplay at any anime convention, and hall masquerading has always been fair game for almost anything. If anything the proportions of japanese/non japanese cosplay reflects the current trends in Japanese pop culture. I reckon it would be unfair to scoff at non-anime cosplayers, have fun at the convention, take pictures, enjoy the company of fellow cosplayers...real life stresses me out enough, I'd rather be easy going at a con.

Maryssa
11-21-2002, 11:01 AM
I just dont understand why people plan to go to anime conventions, and then think Oh hey I will wear my star wars (or whatever) costume there! Its as if an anime convention is just a random excuse to dress up. Why are you even going to an anime convention then? Its not a Costume con. I think thats my problem with it. That it seems like nowadays anime cons are just turning into places where people can wear whatever and get away with it. The convention is about celebrating anime (and to a -small- extent japanese culture), not to show everyone your obsession with something outside of it. I personally think its just stupid to do that.

Yeah i could debate a little about j-rock too. I'm iffy on that.

And as for videogames, the cosplay we see from games are mostly from games which were conceptualized in japan, and very heavily anime influenced ones. You look at the character designs for many fighting games and they are obviously japanese. Final fantasy came from the spectacular artwork concepts of *gasp* a Japanese man. They were out in Japan far before they reached america (hell why do you think everyone has their PSXs modded? because the games come out there first).

Star wars or harry potter manga...in my opinion this is a poor excuse. Both of these titles are American created and those things only came out after we had them. They are a part of American/English culture no matter how many people in japan are fans of it. Someone releasing a doujinshi doesnt turn it into japanese culture.

Rey-Rey
11-21-2002, 11:21 AM
I'd go on a long rant about this.

But anime cons have been overshadowed by cosplay nowadays in my eyes. And anime cons have seemingly lost their purpose.

And branching off into sci-fi, J-Rock, and such just for the SAKE of COSPLAY? I don't agree with that. = (

Celine
11-21-2002, 11:44 AM
>But anime cons have been overshadowed by cosplay nowadays in my eyes.

Eh? While it's true that the number of cosplayers at conventions is growing exponentially, I still think that cosplayers are less than half of the total attendees. I don't think that most people go to conventions to either cosplay themselves or look at cosplayers. I believe that those of us who are into cosplay might start feeling this way, but if you look around, there is a lot more going on! ^_^

>And anime cons have seemingly lost their purpose.

Please elaborate on this, I am curious.

>Someone releasing a doujinshi doesnt turn it into japanese culture.

I completely agree with this. The Japanese make a ton of doujinshi. They make it about just about anything that can sell. This only means that there is a fanbase in Japan, not that it is necessarily a part of the culture. It is still native to the country it was originally created in despite the international fans. If you want to do one of these costumes (Star Wars & Harry Potter & all that), please don't use this reason that there is doujinshi about it in Japan.

Rey-Rey
11-21-2002, 11:57 AM
Maybe it must be ME hanging out with the wrong crowd... but I hear a lot more people nowadays thinking of their next costume rather than what anime is coming out. I mean, yes, there are still the people that are there for the anime... but it seems like everywhere I go, there's a costume here and there's a costume there. I'm not saying that cosplay has COMPLETELY taken over anime conventions but it seems like that anime is now playing second fiddle in its own convention. Less and less panels about anime. More and more panels about costuming. Granted, I could be wrong, of course, because I only go to the California conventions.

But, back to the original topic at hand, maybe next time you should cosplay as Rey-Rey once he becomes a manga character, right? >=D

There's a time and place for everything.

Celine
11-21-2002, 12:06 PM
>I'm not saying that cosplay has COMPLETELY taken over anime conventions but it seems like that anime is now playing second fiddle in its own convention.

Haha, there is a fantastic mental image! A convention, completely overrun by wild cosplayers! XD

I think that since so many anime conventions are now encompassing a broader range of interests, it is true that anime isn't the sole purpose anymore. I just think that there are other things, not just cosplay, which are collectively taking away the attention from anime. This is happening more and more, but some conventions are more affected by it (I think AX is definitely a cosplay-happy convention!).

As for being on topic, Michi pretty much said everything I agree with... ^_^

Makoto
11-21-2002, 01:11 PM
Lucrezia Borgia from Higuri You's manga series "Cantarella" has one of the most beautiful character designs I've ever seen. It's a historical manga, and her outfits are in a classic Renaissance style. I'd like to cosplay as her one day. And I already know that I will get more RUDE comments than I can stomach from people who don't think it's appropriate for someone to invade their convention with non-anime costuming. I'm not looking forward to it one bit. Maybe I'll carry a sign. -_- But then, it's from a manga, and will never be animated, so I guess I don't have any justification by the anime-con standards to begin with...

In the end, I'm going to cosplay Lucrezia and all her insanity and be happy with myself and my beautiful manga costume, and maybe a few people will learn something about the huge variety of subjects you can find in Japanese manga.

Maryssa
11-21-2002, 03:03 PM
That sounds okay, however on another board someone was discussing a HITLER costume just because there was some OBSCURE manga with him in it. That is simply NOT acceptable. Someone may have written a stupid story with him in it, but he is strictly a historic figure and cannot at all be considered a manga character. The whole topic disgusted me.

Celine
11-21-2002, 04:08 PM
Actually, Maryssa, "Adolf" is pretty decent... ^_^;;

But yeah, that person wasn't using common sense. Manga character or not, some things are not acceptable. If you're going to seriously offend someone, then just don't do it. Thankfully, I think that person gave up on their idea. Otherwise they were seriously going to be lynched by the entire convention.

Makoto- I know how you feel. You know about my manga cosplay plans for next year. It's obscure, it's *American*, but the creators are going to be at the con I'm attending. I doubt I'll have too much problem though, since it's a kitty girl, and heavily inspired by Japanese comics.

Lightning Count
11-21-2002, 06:05 PM
How can you say Adolf was "pretty decent"? Even if you were kidding, it was not funny.

Celine
11-21-2002, 06:44 PM
Dude, chill out. It's this obscure manga CALLED "Adolf". The title, get it? It's by Osamu Tezuka, and it is pretty good, in my opinion. ^^;;;

Maryssa
11-21-2002, 08:03 PM
hence the QUOTES

Kellie
11-21-2002, 10:08 PM
Heehee. Glad I read this. I was actually going back and forth whether or not I wanted to drag along my HP gear to Katsucon just to romp around in Friday night, but I don't think I will. Only because, the point was well taken. o_o;; Not that I'm going to delve into the issue since I'm really not good at arguing points like this since I've only just started cosplaying (And nothing serious mind you).

And Usagi - I LOVE that picture of you with the storm troopers! Classic!

sailor-moon
11-21-2002, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Maryssa
I just dont understand why people plan to go to anime conventions, and then think Oh hey I will wear my star wars (or whatever) costume there! Its as if an anime convention is just a random excuse to dress up. Why are you even going to an anime convention then? Its not a Costume con. I think thats my problem with it. That it seems like nowadays anime cons are just turning into places where people can wear whatever and get away with it. The convention is about celebrating anime (and to a -small- extent japanese culture), not to show everyone your obsession with something outside of it. I personally think its just stupid to do that.

Yeah i could debate a little about j-rock too. I'm iffy on that.

And as for videogames, the cosplay we see from games are mostly from games which were conceptualized in japan, and very heavily anime influenced ones. You look at the character designs for many fighting games and they are obviously japanese. Final fantasy came from the spectacular artwork concepts of *gasp* a Japanese man. They were out in Japan far before they reached america (hell why do you think everyone has their PSXs modded? because the games come out there first).

Star wars or harry potter manga...in my opinion this is a poor excuse. Both of these titles are American created and those things only came out after we had them. They are a part of American/English culture no matter how many people in japan are fans of it. Someone releasing a doujinshi doesnt turn it into japanese culture.

...:::::claps cause maryssa is so smart^.^ :::::..... i widh i could elaberate on things liek this like you^.^ my explination:
if you want to dress in a costume that isnt anime related, and yet ALSO want anime cosplaying involved, go to a freaken sci fi anime convention!!!! ^o^:thumbsup:

Usagi

sailor-moon
11-21-2002, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by cherii chan

And Usagi - I LOVE that picture of you with the storm troopers! Classic!

thank you!!!! i saw them and was like "STOP" "i must take a picture with you guys!!!!!

heres a funny one

http://www.itsumademo.net/_misc/no!.jpg

KaitouKurogo
11-21-2002, 10:51 PM
::scratches his head::

I've been noticing a trend...it seems that every anime fan I know loves Harry Potter as well...except for my girlfriend, but I'll convert her yet. ::Evil Laughter::

But anyway, I don't see the big deal with cosplaying as characters other than J-Culture. My friend Scott is going dressed as Ivan Isaacs from the new manga "Priest", which I understand to be of Korean origin, if I'm not incorrect.
Personally, I wouldn't find an Anime convention complete without seeing at least one Stormtrooper wandering around. AX2002, I saw a Slytherin girl with a very well-made Nimbus2000 posing with Kiki from "Kiki's Delivery Service".

While they are anime conventions, there is no distinctive limit on what one can dress as. It's not a "Japanese Popular Culture Cosplay Convention". I say just do what you like and if someone gives you a hard time, just think of how close-minded they are to bug you on it.

On the other hand, I don't think I'd like it if the conventions became overrun with any old costumes...it's not Halloween, after all. -_-' Sorry...conflicting opinions.

!*Jessi-Chan*!
11-21-2002, 10:57 PM
*Claps for KaitouKurogo* YAY!

Ringo
11-21-2002, 11:07 PM
Just wanted to state I feel people should be able to wear what they like and that "anime" conventions should be about culture (video games, music, fashion etc) too but for the sake of debate.....

If Harry Potter as doujin is a poor excuse because it just part of japanese culture, than so is the fact that video games are part of japanese culture. Just because it comes from Japan does not mean it belongs at an 'anime' convention. If your going to argue that only anime costumes belong at anime conventions then why should you make any exceptions to that rule?

I don't know why someone would make (let's say) a spiderman costume for an anime convention, but if they do they should be welcomed. Wear what you want, have fun and don't be insulted they take up space they pay just like you do.

Michi
11-21-2002, 11:39 PM
As for people competing, Michi, I almost agree. non-anime/game/manga shouldn't compete _by itself_ at an anime con... but that doesn't mean it can't be integrated into a skit. For example: the Harry Potter/Hellsing skit at Nekocon =D
Unless, of course, the rules strictly forbid it.

Yes. As long as the Harry Potter cosplayers don't want an award for their craftmanship, they can go do a silly crossover. :P Sure, whatever.

It's so dumb sometimes. I know someone will yell at me when I finally do my Rose de Versailles costume and they think it's just some French historical garb and... BLAH.

Karisu-sama
11-22-2002, 12:15 AM
OK, right. Anything non-anime, OUT OF THE POOL. No manga, no J-rock/J-pop, no Kimono wearing workshops, no anything without the actual word "anime" in its "official" name, no... you get the picture, ne? And so where are you drawing these lines?? Japanese culture does not exist in a vacuum, and neither does anime. Anime (and manga) creators are influenced by cultures and works from other parts of the world, and they make these things "their own" as well, and vice versa. If the Japanese don't have a problem with "maintaining anime cultural purity" (ie: Harry Potter cosplayers at their own cons!), why do some people here? I dun get it...

Originally posted by Rey-Rey
Maybe it must be ME hanging out with the wrong crowd... but I hear a lot more people nowadays thinking of their next costume rather than what anime is coming out. I mean, yes, there are still the people that are there for the anime... but it seems like everywhere I go, there's a costume here and there's a costume there. I'm not saying that cosplay has COMPLETELY taken over anime conventions but it seems like that anime is now playing second fiddle in its own convention. Less and less panels about anime. More and more panels about costuming. Granted, I could be wrong, of course, because I only go to the California conventions.

There's a time and place for everything.

Methinks you are thinking especially about Ani-Magic, which is definitely, and unabashedly, a "cosplayers con". :)

I'm a fervent anime fan; I've been watching anime since well before Rey-Rey was born. I can get my anime online, at the store down the street, from friends, etc. (Loads of sources for anime in the Bay Area - maybe we're spoiled here.) That's one reason you won't find me hanging out a lot in vid rooms at a con.

Time and place for *everything*, IMHO, = a CON. People have many different reasons for going to these cons; some people do indeed go to learn more about costuming. Where else are they going to find lots of like-interest costumers with good advice in one place? (OK....cosplay.com! :) )

I personally go to cons for:

1) Hanging out with friends with similar interests, who may not live anywhere near me. Where else can we get a whole big fun Kenshin-gumi together?

2) Costuming and cosplay with friends with like interests. Halloween is far too mundane and "mainstream", and "anything goes". I LIKE to costume. I want many excuses each year to cosplay (and party!) IN GENRE, along with others with similar interests!

3) The dealers room. How else can you get all those dealers of obscure merchandise from far and wide to meet in one place and sell you stuff?

4) Panels about an anime I particularly enjoy (especially if the creators show up!), manga-influenced webcomic panels, panel discussion of Yaoi/Yuri themes in doujinshi, etc. Where else does one have a chance at, say, seeing / listening to Watsuki, or Kawamori?

5) Random other things I might at least drop in on, like AMV's and Karaoke contests.

6) Parties, parties, parties. I gotta say, though, that the anime party scene absolutely can't TOUCH the SF con open party scene. Maybe someday, as people get *ahem* a bit older... :D

These are all related, in one way or another, and most people have multiple interests. If we have "cosplay-only cons" and "anime-only cons" and "manga-only cons" and "J-rock only" cons etc., lots of people will be rather unhappy, especially those who can only afford to go to 1 or 2 cons per year. I go to 8 or so cons a year (anime, SF, & other genre) and I still would prefer to feed as many of my interests as possible in one location.

Interesting that I never hear talk at "SF" cons about kicking out fantasy, anime, Regency dances, computer labs, table-top and LARP gaming, Celtic Rock concerts, etc. Everything is still welcome there. I'll be at LosCon this year (an "SF" con), and you can bet I'll at least drop by their (very good) anime vid room. (And at the Saturday night dance last year, they were projecting anime vids all over the ballroom walls.)

Karisu-sama
11-22-2002, 12:25 AM
Mebbe I shoulda put that in the "rant board". :p

Aw, c'mon Rey-Rey, since you're the Ani-Magic Masq. MC, we thought you LIKED cosplay!

Maryssa
11-22-2002, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Ringo

If Harry Potter as doujin is a poor excuse because it just part of japanese culture, than so is the fact that video games are part of japanese culture. Just because it comes from Japan does not mean it belongs at an 'anime' convention. If your going to argue that only anime costumes belong at anime conventions then why should you make any exceptions to that rule?

Please reread my post. HP doujinshi is NOT part of japanese culture. Videogames are closely related to anime.

Daitenshi
11-22-2002, 09:55 AM
If Harry Potter as doujin is a poor excuse because it just part of japanese culture, than so is the fact that video games are part of japanese culture.

Your logic on this is quite flawed ^^;;;
Harry Potter was created and originally marketed in England.
The video games that people cosplay from at cons are created & marketed in Japan. Hence them being "acceptable."

Video game costumes are in the same somewhat iffy catagory as J-rockers. It isn't anime or manga, but it's a part of the modern Japanese culture.

As for HP cosplayers at Comiket, I can't wait to take pictures and hopefully talk with a few of them this winter XD _Anything_ goes at Comiket~!

Ringo
11-22-2002, 10:17 AM
This is only for the sake of debate I think that Anime conventions are as much about culture as they are anime. People should wear what they want but I would'nt want a group of hogwarts students to win anything in a competition at an anime conveniton. However

Originally posted by Maryssa

And as for videogames, the cosplay we see from games are mostly from games which were conceptualized in japan, and very heavily anime influenced ones. You look at the character designs for many fighting games and they are obviously japanese. Final fantasy came from the spectacular artwork concepts of *gasp* a Japanese man.

Just because it it closely related to anime and conceptualized by a Japanese person does not make it "anime". If you argue only anime costumes at an anime convention then there should only be that, no exceptions just because it's closely related.

So you say that Harry Potter is part of Ameican culture? Well guess what it's from England not America. It has been hugley popular in the states and has become part of our culture. How can it be part of American culture when it's from England?
The same thing has happened in Japan, just because it's NOT from Japan does not make it part of Japanese culture.

If you argue that it has to originate in Japan throw out all those animes that are based on forgien folk tales. Bye bye Dragon Ball. Journey to the west is a Chinese story that has become part Japanese culture, Harry Potter is doing the same thing, becoming part of Japanese culture.
It IS part of Japanese culture, just because it's not from the originating country does not mean it's not part of the culture.
Like Karisu-sama said, Japanese culture does not exist in a vacum.

Videogames are closely related to anime.

Ok if you except video games you must accept Harry Potter, Star Wars etc. because they are ALL video games.
They are also all excepted cosplays in Japan, and if we are trying to emulate Japanese culture than it should be accepted here as well.

Ringo
11-22-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Daitenshi
Your logic on this is quite flawed ^^;;;
Harry Potter was created and originally marketed in England.
The video games that people cosplay from at cons are created & marketed in Japan. Hence them being "acceptable."

But the doujin IS created in Japan and marketed to a Japanese audiance. Doujin is just as much a part of Japanese culture as video games. They are taking a story from another country and making it Japanese, like many of the anime's out there.
If making it "acceptable" means it has to be totally from Japan then there are lots of things you have to throw out the window.

Daitenshi
11-22-2002, 10:58 AM
Doujin are merely fanworks. Just because a Japanese girl decides she wants to draw Harry Potter _does not_ make the story Japanese in origin.

And goodness no, I'm not saying that anime, manga, j-rock, etc has to be based soley on traditional Japan. Japan is very well known for integrating religion and customs from other countries. So, sorry, but just because Toriyama's Dragon Ball is based off a Chinese tale doesn't mean his work didn't originate in Japan. I'm just saying that if it ain't made in Japan, it ain't Japanese. Why is that so hard to understand???

Celine
11-22-2002, 11:12 AM
If you argue only anime costumes at an anime convention then there should only be that, no exceptions just because it's closely related.

Yes, and there's already a thread discussing exactly this (well, it branched off into this very quickly): http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3135

I don't have any problems with people cosplaying whatever... but saying "this belongs at an anime convention because someone made a manga of it" isn't logical to me. First of all, you can either argue that you are trying to conform to the 'standards' of 'accepted' cosplay (anime, video game, manga, etc.), *OR* you can argue that it is a part of Japanese culture and therefore belongs. The truth is, Harry Potter is not a doujinshi. It is a book series, which has spawned a few movies and games. These books, games, and movies are commercially released in many countries, but the fan-made doujinshi is not. That is exclusive to Japan. When people say "Harry Potter" they are not talking about some doujinshi. They are referring to the books or movies. Or quite possibly the video games. ^_^

There are many borrowed things from other countries which are a part of Japanese culture and I'm not going to deny that- all countries borrow from each other, which makes the world great. However, I just don't think this particular reasoning (that a manga or something existing for it necessarily makes it a part of the culture) is very strong. For example, a person in Japan might make a doujinshi about some American movie they saw. However, the film might have been a huge flop in Japan. So, is that particular movie a part of Japanese culture? No. If you want to argue that something from another country is a part of the culture, all you need to do is show some way in which it has impacted a large portion of the population. Harry Potter, it seems, has done just that- I've seen a lot of evidence of Pottermania in Japan. It's sort of like how Pokemon invaded the world a few years back.

Ringo
11-22-2002, 11:14 AM
^_^ I do understand. All of it, I just want to point out both sides of the arguement.
I just think that if people decide that everything has to come strickly from Japan and be strictly Anime then that arguement is flawed. That's all i'm trying to prove.
If you say no non-anime costumes at a convention then sadly that does include vidoe games because they are not anime. However because they ARE closely realted to anime and japanese culture they are accepted. The same goes for j-pop and j-rock etc.
As far as Harry Potter goes, it may not neccesarily have a set place at an Anime convention, but you can argue several points for it. It is part of Japanese culture and has influenced many Manga authors out there.
Hey we all go to conventions for fun if someone wants to wear there Harry Potter costume to add to the fun then wear it. Now I don't know why someone would MAKE a Harry Potter costume for a con but if you have it you might as well wear it. ^_^

Daitenshi
11-22-2002, 11:34 AM
1) I _never_ said no non-anime costumes. I was just saying that you can't call something anime (or manga) because someone made a doujinshi out of it.

I'd humbly like to refer to Celine's last post as everything I was trying to say ^^

Studmaster
11-22-2002, 12:01 PM
Seriously, the biggest problem and the biggest debate is the competitions, and I think this where the nature of the arguement is coming from, and the nature of the arguement aganist it is strong, and I really agree to the extent that non Japanese Anime/Manga and Videogame charcters should not be allowed to compete by themselves or for craftsmanship on any level. (Even though Karisu-Sama is right, in the fact that you either go strictly Anime or this arguement doesn't exist.

There is something I want to question, however? (and this is only an inquiry here.)

One of Yaya's pieces from her original Manga. Now I have to wonder? Is the Manga Japanese in origin? (because Manga is the Japanese word for Comics in reality) Wouldn't this technically DQ her from winning any awards (and she did win too) for a costume that is not Japanese? Now without going how each convention is different, here those who are not competiting in Costumes in Japanese origin can win. (And no, it being Manga, Korean or anything else Would not be acceptable under what people consider to be acceptable)

Conclusion....Even though there is a "standard" this standard is varies and differeiantes from each con. And it fuels even more debates as well. I don't think we'll have a conclusion in a while, until we get more organized.

In the end, I think the debate is here, and should remain here. However, in the halls, the cons have grown so diverse that it goes beyond Anime, and it really should. So in the spirit of that, lets get the costuming on no matter what you should cosplay.

Jibrille
11-22-2002, 12:40 PM
>In the end, I think the debate is here, and should remain here. However, in the halls, the cons have grown so diverse that it goes beyond Anime, and it really should. So in the spirit of that, lets get the costuming on no matter what you should cosplay.

*applauds*

i mean really, cosplay whatever you want to cosplay/costume/dress up (whatever technical word you want to pull out on it)
until a con itself says 'NO' to non anime costumes walking around nothing can be done about it anyway, and i dont think anything should be done.
heres why:
if i was really in love with a non anime costume and wanted to make it, i would make it, and wear it at an anime con, cause that is the only place i would be able to wear it. anime cons are the only cons for me.
i would wear it there because i know there are people there who would appreciate the costume, the time to make it, the effort, all that, cause cosplayers understand costumes.
i of course, wouldnt wear it to compete. (as studmaster said and i said in my first post here) i dont care what people walk around in the halls wearing, as long as they dont compete and win awards for non-japanese-culture related things. (to ME- anime, manga, japanese movies, and video games are passable things for competition)

as long as they arent allowed to compete at cons, i dont give a rats ass what people walk around the halls wearing, if its what they like and they are having a good time, then more power to them.
and sometimes they can make for some of the best pictures. (like Cosmos and storm troopers)

and now really, this is rediculous to even debate if you think about it, because:
if they can wear non-anime costumes at Japanese cons then why the hell do we (who model our cons after japanese cons and clutlure) care if people wear non-japanese-culture costumes at our cons?
it just makes no sense for american cosplayers to be all strict and anal retentive here, if they in japan accept non-anime/japanese costumes in their OWN country.

Maryssa
11-22-2002, 01:06 PM
i also never said costumes should be only-anime. And i DID say above that harry potter was american (SLASH) english. I also said how iffy I was about J-rock. ANd by videogames I obviously do not mean games like the Harry Potter videogame. I mean the conceptualizations and NOT that the original idea was from Japan (your poor Dragonball example). Do not put words in my mouth, thanks. again, please read carefully before you respond.

Studmaster
11-22-2002, 01:13 PM
Maryssa: Question? Who was your last post directed to?

Karisu-sama
11-22-2002, 02:46 PM
I think we're really dealing with the "should it be in a Masquerade?" issue here again. How far do you go before the gist of an entry becomes no longer centered around anime? "No, you CAN'T use that cool gothy music for 5 seconds of background music in your skit; it's from a Danish composer, not an anime-related one!" "No, you CAN'T base your Kenshin skit on a spoof of an American TV advertisement!" Ultimately, that will have to be up to SOMEBODY's discretion.

In any case, hall cosplay is hall cosplay, and as Jibrille states, there may be no other place for someone to wear their "non-anime' costumes.

Personally at an anime con, I prefer to wear my anime costumes. I have the luxury of wearing my others (as well as the anime costumes!) at SF cons, etc. However, I have a friend who cosplays a Harry Potter-derived character at anime cons, and I'm going to be the last person to tell her she "shouldn't". It's not my place to impose my preferences on her.

MarshalBanana
11-22-2002, 03:47 PM
hahahaha... you all are very funny... hahaha

A J
11-22-2002, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Bell-chan

Just for the record... The LA StormTroopers were there as part of a fundraiser for the City of Hope which does charity work with kids. They do AX every year because they can get a lot of publicity and support for the charity there. Which is also why they weren't wandering around too much. It was probably hard to see the table with their fliers and info with them standing around it. :)

What's the big deal if someone wears a non-anime costume to a convention? We're all viewed as weirdos by the rest of the world. I'd think the more of us, the merrier. :) If they competed, I'd have issues but non-anime costumes are never going to outnumber anime costumes at an anime convention and they're not hurting anyone.

Besides which... who's going to go police this kind of thing? It's America, freedom of expression and all that... :)

Rey-Rey
11-22-2002, 05:21 PM
Hey, I like cosplay as much as the next person... and it's great that there's VARIETY in anime conventions. Hell, my gf cosplays. If I hated cosplay, I wouldn't even think about MCing the Ani-Magic Masquerade. =O

However, the usual purpose of an anime convention is to promote the word on anime. Yes, cosplaying is a huge facet and I understand that. But if anime is now playing second, third, or fourth fiddle in an ANIME convention... then I think something is wrong here. It's like seeing basketball promoted in the NFL, where they're trying to promote football as their main product.

No, it's not just Ani-Magic. But you did bring up a good example. But I'm also talking about the other California conventions I've been to. I mean, Anime Expo has to have a masquerade, a MINI-masquerade, and a fashion show. That's quite a lot and that's obviously not even all the cosplayers involved in the convention.

ANIME getting lost in the shuffle is my main gripe about the whole thing. What's next? The ho from Grand Theft Auto III? ^__^ v And GTAIII isn't even a game from Japan. If we see about 100 Harry Potter or LOTR cosplayers in an anime convention, then we know it's really time for a change. I'm not going to stop you from wearing a costume from Braveheart; that's all on you. Just don't say I didn't warn you. ^__^ v

Just my two dollahs.

Michi
11-22-2002, 05:21 PM
Yeah. Unless hall cosplay at a con has rules against it.... eeee... we can't really say not to wear it. Masquerades are where it usually gets much more picky.

Sometimes you can think of the non-anime cosplay as just that person's.. wear. No one's gonna yell at a fan wearing a Star Wars shirt in the anime con dealer room are they? o_o; Or if someone went in normal clothes that were Gothic, and got yelled at for being a wannabe Jrocker when they were being themselves?...

We're getting confused between masq/hall cosplay wear and junk, and cosplay versus... I dunno. I have mono. I'm gonna shut up and go lie down again. ^_^;

soshi
11-22-2002, 07:01 PM
I think that a big reason that we're seeing non Japanese stuff being cosplayed at cons like Harry Potter, Star Wars, ect, is because.. er.. list time. XD

-many anime fans happen to like Harry Potter and Star Wars (and everything else, I don't feel like spelling everything out...), and make costumes from those things

-there are sooooo many anime conventions all across the country, but have you ever seen a Harry Potter convention? maybe, but, it's not like every HP fan can go to the scant few there are (I've heard of two, and one was 18 plus, for the older fans who twitch at small children in theaters ~ TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS admission - year RIGHT is that getting too many people going!). it's the same with scifi and comic conventions - there's a good deal of them, but let's face it - anime conventions happen more often, and have better and more widespread locations. so where else are you going to wear those costumes except to movie openings and Halloween? anime cons! why? because you CAN!

I think it's GREAT to see such diversity at an anime con. who cares if it's not anime? if you want to go to a con for anime and anime only, then just ignore the cosplayers. I agree that cons have lost a lot of their anime-centric roots, but that's ok. they're now mostly big meeting places for nerds. XD cosplay is a great way to broadcast to other people "hey, this is what I like." and you meet other great people through stuff like that. it's harded to be so social and diverse at scifi cons, because it seems everyone that goes to those things are trekkies o_____o and they seem to be really ... er.. prejudiced.. against other non sci-fi fandoms. the fact that people can walk around an anime convention dressed like Harry Potter says a lot of good stuff about the people at the con.

Jibrille
11-22-2002, 11:59 PM
SOSHI!!!! I LOVE ALAN RICKMAN!!!!!! YOUR ICON ROCKS!!!

good post too. ^_^

soshi
11-23-2002, 12:25 AM
wahah O.O sankyou. ^^ altho it may be soon changed out for Seishirou. :F

thanks again. ^^

Karisu-sama
11-23-2002, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by soshi
it's harded to be so social and diverse at scifi cons, because it seems everyone that goes to those things are trekkies o_____o and they seem to be really ... er.. prejudiced.. against other non sci-fi fandoms. the fact that people can walk around an anime convention dressed like Harry Potter says a lot of good stuff about the people at the con.
Ano... Soshi, I think you are thinking about Star Trek-specific cons, and Creation cons (ACK!)

All the SF cons I'm used to attending have had NO PROBLEM with other non-sci-fi fandoms. Including Harry Potter and Anime.

katchoo
11-23-2002, 01:25 AM
Michi--- get better soon! I had mono when I was a freshman in college, and it kicked my a$$. Good luck and I hope you get better soon. ^_^

Karisu-sama
11-23-2002, 06:46 AM
Oooh, Michi, get better fast, I hope. Mono is awful. Nasty and depleting.

D-mon Onizuka
11-23-2002, 08:16 AM
Never watched the movies, but I'd really have no problem with anyone cosplaying as him. S'all for good fun. But, I'll admit, it'd be kinda weird for a Harry Potter cosplayer to enter an anime costume contest...