PDA

View Full Version : Gasaraki

psythe
12-02-2002, 07:47 PM
I was listening to the soundtrack, made me think of something.

Gasaraki is an excellent anime series with a great plot and depth, yet I hardly ever hear anyone talking about it. Is it just a highly overlooked series? or have not alot of people seen it?

I really enjoyed it, wondering what others opinions on it are...

Sakura
12-02-2002, 09:59 PM
It was recommended to me by a friend so I went out and bought the tapes that were out (up to 5) but it was kind of confusing to me. It does have a great soundtrack though. I'll re-watch it again soon to give it another chance ^^;

psythe
12-02-2002, 10:00 PM
Yes by all means do, it just gets better as you get closer to the end! ^^v

Ayaka
12-03-2002, 12:54 AM
I've only seen the first few episodes; I think it's a great series, but, I don't know, somehow it hasn't really sunk its hooks into me. I'm certainly going to give it the chance, though, I am going to continue it. I think it's probably mostly just that there was a big gap between when I got the first volume and the second, and I haven't gotten back into the rhythm.

3-D
12-03-2002, 01:39 AM
It's a very slow paced anime with an intricately weaved plot. Truely the Tom Clancy BOOK of anime, not a Tom Clancy movie. I actually rate it very highly, but I can get very few friends to watch it because even though the animation is quite good in the battles, very little happens for most of the first half.

I would definitely rate it "overlooked" because it's very hard to see in the early episodes that something big and bad is developing for later on in the series. That and the fact that there's no really really memorable characters (art or characterization-wise), just a good deep story and sweet battle animation.

psythe
12-03-2002, 06:56 AM
Ayaka, funny thing is that's how I watched it first ^^; I watched DVD 1 and 2 and then for whatever reason didn't go out and buy the rest right away. So when I actually went back to continue it, I watched 1 and 2 again and continued on, maybe it sunk in a little better that way *shrugs*

I agree with 3D in that is is slower paced than most people are used to. I would say DVD wise you have to get to DVD 3 before you are glued to the set, wanting to see the next episode like so many anime hook us.

Rosiel
12-03-2002, 09:03 AM
Gasaraki is great. Probably my second or third favorite series ever. The only problem, and I don't want to spoil anyone, is that the pacing gets screwed up towards the end and that for the last episode is spirals out of control in a deus ex machina that left me HIGHLY disappointed.

I was expecting more from this little gem, and I was expecting a meaty ending, as dense as the rest of the story had been.

But it's still quite a ride, a smart thought-provoquing mecha show that does not look like it's trying to pawn off as many toys as possible to its otaku audience.

Hard-core politics, mecha action, Noh... so many things that seem utterly disjoint manage to come together in a coherent whole... and I will never forget the scene when the main character starts to dance in the middle of the artifact dug into the soil of the desert. lovely.

As for memorable characters, I beg to differ.

There are no memorable characters from the usual fan POV: there is no one who is heroic and greater than life and glitzy and and /pretty/. But there are characterts who made my skin crawl, who made me think, who enthralled me despite their very human condition, despite their ugliness. Nishida being one of them, and opposed to him the fay-like Ghost. The Gowa did not make nearly as much of an impression on me as they were all archetypes more than characters, all the same person switching between masks to play different roles. But I think that was the point.

psythe
12-03-2002, 09:18 AM
Nice review Rosiel, I couldn't have said it better :bigtu:

The characters really do stick in MY mind, even some of the non-main characters just because of the emotional impact alot of the scenes held. IMPACT is what makes me like Gasaraki so much, visually, and mentally, it's a sledgehammer.

3-D
12-03-2002, 01:32 PM
Eh, my point on characters was definitely that the usual reasons for noticing characters certainly aren't there. Gasaraki is definitely more "realistic" than a lot of animes out there. I have to admit that the old man, Mr. Nishida (I think that was his name) stayed with me merely because he was so absolutely devoted to his cause, and it was hard to guess if he was a good or a bad guy by the end, hehehe...

Ayaka
12-03-2002, 10:37 PM
Well I kinda have to see the rest of the series, anyway, I have two cels from it. :D

But I'll put DVD 3 on my list for the next round of DVD buying . . .

KaineMaxwell
04-03-2004, 09:47 AM
Any Gasaraki fans about?

JustinCredible
04-03-2004, 11:00 AM
I saw the first couple of episodes and a few scattered here and there... nothing shown really has motivated me to get into the series. Its not that I think its bad, quite the opposite, rather I haven't connected with the story nor its characters.

KaineMaxwell
04-03-2004, 01:30 PM
I'm borrowing the first dvd from a friend and trying to get into it right now myself. i do like the mecha designs thus far.