PDA

View Full Version : Lumberjack related problem?

stefaniecat
04-04-2004, 11:21 AM
HIya, I used to have no problem visiting galleries and seeing images, but now all I'm getting from member galleries are those little red Xs and no pictures. As I completly wasn't on for the entire lumberjacking incident, I'm a bit confused as what that entailed (i'm guessing script changes judging from the 'help i'm confused' posts... however, it is from that time that I've been unable to get images to load...

I don't think that anything has changed on my end (I checked out my firewall, and all seems normal there), so I was wondering if anyone here knew anything...

KusanIvy
04-04-2004, 11:44 AM
I've noticed the same problem as well. I haven't been on the boards for about a week. (and am now sad that I missed the whole lumberjack thing - oh well). But none of the pics are showing up in any of the member galleries.

UnwantedKikyo
04-04-2004, 02:10 PM
Yea the same thing for me...I checked my PC and firewalls ok and all that stuff...so *shrugs* dunno..

Eleryth
04-04-2004, 07:05 PM
Pehaps its fixed now, because I have no problem seeing them.... I just tried seeing all three of your galleries (by clicking your user name and choosing photo gallery), and no issues for me.

KusanIvy
04-04-2004, 07:17 PM
I just tried - still getting little red X's and no pics

stefaniecat
04-04-2004, 10:11 PM
Pehaps its fixed now, because I have no problem seeing them.... I just tried seeing all three of your galleries (by clicking your user name and choosing photo gallery), and no issues for me.

Well, no, because the problem had nothing to do with my specific image gallery - it included all image galleries on this site. Avators and sigs load, but none of the galleries load...

Eleryth
04-04-2004, 10:30 PM
This is copy and pasted from another thread like this...

You need to clean out your temporary internet files & cookies. If you are using Internet Explorer, go to Tools and select Internet Options. On the General tab, there should be three options under Temporary Internet Files to Delete Cookies, Delete Files, and Settings. Select Delete Cookies and you will receive a prompt stating, "Delete all cookies in the Temporary Internet Files folder?" Select OK and wait for the computer to complete the task.

Next, select Delete Files and you will receive a prompt stating, "Delete all files in the Temporary Internet Files". You can also delete all your offline content stored locally." Select OK and wait for the computer to complete the task. Once it is through, select Delete Files and check the box to "Delete all offline content" and select OK.

Once this is completed, you should be able to refresh the galleries and the images should show up again. Remember to do this periodically if you regularly view image-intensive websites.

You mentioned that it wasn't the firewall, so this might be another option to try.

As for me opening the galleries, I knew it wasn't issues with your galleries, but viewing galleries in general. So I tried to open yours, because they were there. Before finding the post by Huongstar, I tried opening 5 random galleries in the Anime and Manga costume forum, and all of them worked. This is even a different computer than the one I used before.

Hope deleting the temporary files helps.

stefaniecat
04-04-2004, 10:38 PM
Thanks Eleryth for the suggestion... I'll do that as soon as I get back on my own computer. On this one, my boyfriend's laptop, he's never been able to get the image gallery images to load, and thinks its his firewall. But then, as he's not really as currious about cosplay stuff as I am, he hasn't cared enough to do anything about it either :)

*EDIT* Back on my own computer... and all is miserable... I just wiped all my cookies, my temp internet files, and the offline content as well. Then I cleared my history, just because, and then started up IE again... went to member galleries, and all the little pics were red Xs still :waaaah:

So, yeah, that would have been a nice quick fix... but, no dice :lost:

KusanIvy
04-06-2004, 05:53 PM
I tried Eleryth's suggestion as well - the attack of the little red Xs continues!

:(

Eleryth
04-06-2004, 09:26 PM
I know you just reformatted your computer, KusanIvy - is there any way a setting could have changed somewhere and you forgot to reset it? Because if it's not the cache being full, then it's got to be something else...and the firewall or whatever is the only thing I can think of.

I didn't find anything else helpful in these threads, unfortunately. Perhaps you could PM Admin after doublechecking it's not the firewall?

stefaniecat
04-07-2004, 02:01 AM
I figured, why not check the firewall out, just in case something changed without it bothering to tell me (I know I didn't change settings, so maybe my computer is trying to outthink me)... I dropped my security level to 'let everything in and attack my computer please!' aka 'low security' and gave it a try... nothing changed. all red Xs.

The odd thing is that it relates to the whole timing on the April 1st Lumberjack joke. Whether or not this is coincidence remains to be seen.

KittyCanuck
04-07-2004, 11:30 AM
Do you have the latest version of Java?
When I was at my parent's place for Christmas holidays, I just got all red [X] for the image galleries too. I complained to my boyfriend that I thought it was the fact that they only have dial-up so I thought it was just timing out trying to load all those images, but he said it was a Java problem.

Getting the latest version of Java on their computer fixed the problem. Maybe it would for you, too?

^_^

Dewy
04-07-2004, 05:09 PM
Yeah, I had that promblem in school...but not here. Do you guys have apples? Maybe its a browser promblem...

stefaniecat
04-07-2004, 07:00 PM
I'm actually on a pc. I'm up to date, according to windows update. I checked just to be sure I had the latest IE, etc. as well...

For the latest version of java... what version would that be, and where should I get it?

Admin
04-08-2004, 01:18 AM
the red x's are a result of either having your firewall setting turned up too high for the image gallery script (which blocks offsite referrers from viewing images, stopping hotlinkers) or having your javascript turned off in some cases.

Mizuho
04-08-2004, 01:30 AM
I've noticed that cosplayer profiles still have Lumber-related in them. Is that something I can correct (clear my cookies/etc.), or is it something that still needs to be fixed on Cosplay.com's end (and has probably been pointed out already)? Not like I care if they still say Lumber and all that... In fact, I kind of like that more.

Admin
04-08-2004, 01:38 AM
Can you link me to a page that shows this? Also try refreshing the page. It's probably just a cached version of a page you viewed during that day.

Mizuho
04-08-2004, 01:54 AM
http://forums.cosplay.com/member.php?userid=8772

There should be a few little lumbery things in there that show up when I view it on this computer (his website being CartoonTailors instead of AnimeTailors, etc)... If if doesn't show up on yours, I'll clear my cookies and see if it corrects itself.

Catboi Blues
04-08-2004, 01:59 AM
I got it. I changed it back on my own just a minute ago but yeah, it was listed as Cartoontailors.com. I didn't even realize it until it was brought to my attention.

Edit: now that I've looked over my profile again, the lumberjack changes are still there in my bio. I can change them on my own, but they are still there at the moment.

KusanIvy
04-08-2004, 09:53 AM
the red x's are a result of either having your firewall setting turned up too high for the image gallery script (which blocks offsite referrers from viewing images, stopping hotlinkers) or having your javascript turned off in some cases.

How would I go about checking/fixing that? I checked my firewall (I'm using Norton's) and it said it was set at a low enough level that it wouldn't block cookies etc.

And how can I check to see if my javascript is turned on or off?

I'm actually pretty clueless with all this computer stuff. "Dammit Jim. I'm a cosplayer, not a computer programmer."

stefaniecat
04-08-2004, 07:18 PM
"Dammit Jim. I'm a cosplayer, not a computer programmer."
lol.

Basically what Kusan Ivy said there... I've had my firewall security setting set on medium and was fine, then we had lumberjack invasion, and it was no longer fine... I've dropped my Norton configuration to low, and still Xs everywhere... Am I in the wrong catergory in trying to check this?

AS far as the java/javascript fixing goes, where do I go to check those settings?

KusanIvy
04-09-2004, 09:44 AM
I'm pretty sure mine is a firewall problem now. Yesterday I was installing a program that required me to disable Norton Internet Security completely while it was being installed. After that was done I quickly popped over here and sure enough I could see the pics again.

So when I turned Internet Security back on I disabled the firewall but kept the anti-virus on - and all of a sudden the red Xs were back. So obviously I'm not setting something right.

Admin
04-09-2004, 06:22 PM
Question on the profiles: Did anyone who is having a problem happen to update any portion of their user profile that day?

Catboi Blues
04-09-2004, 08:31 PM
Actually now that you mention it, I did. To match the theme I put up a different avatar and changed my Custom User Title. I see what happened now. That's some good thinking there, thanks.

Mage
04-13-2004, 07:54 PM
I had that problem happen to me too, actually, but didn't edit anything in my profile that day. I'm not sure if all the lumberjack-related stuff is still there, since I haven't checked. Will do that after I post and edit this to reflect it.

(Edit) Everything looks perfect now. ^_^ I kind of miss the lumberjack in the banner, though. :P

KusanIvy
04-18-2004, 08:19 AM

I am still having the same problem - little red X's everywhere. I have checked my firewall numerous times - the cookies settings and so forth are as low as they will go. In fact I have even tried turning the firewall off entirely and still no go.

The only thing that seems to work is disabling Norton Internet Security completely, including the anti-virus and we all know having no anti-virus on is a no-no.

So I must be missing something. Can someone please, PLEASE help?

DJCelicaStyle
04-18-2004, 03:49 PM
I don't even have a fire wall, and I've tried EVERYTHING to fix mine. Still won't work. :(

stefaniecat
04-19-2004, 11:01 AM
Well, so far the only thing that works for me is turning off Internet Security completly too, and that is not good, as the internet is a great hive and scum and villianry...

After trying to delete temp files (offline content too), cookies, history, and turning firewall settings to low instead of medium, turned computer security settings to low instead of medium, and even went in and added the cosplay domains (forums.cosplay.com and images.cosplay.com as well) to my list of favorite 'trusted' sites in both the computer and the norton firewall configuration -nothing worked. Turned off firewall completly, still no pics. Turning off 'ad blocking' doesn't work. Turn off Internet Secruity completly works, but is bad.

Any suggestions?

KusanIvy
04-20-2004, 08:47 AM
Yatta! Ok I know what to do now!

If you have Norton Internet Security like I do the problem is not with the "Personal Firewall" at all. It's with the "Privacy Control" settings. To add cosplay.com to your list of trusted sites do the following:

1) Open Internet Security
2) Click Privacy Control. Off to the right click the Configure button.
3) Click on Advanced
4) In the window on the left where it shows all the websites click Add
5) This is the important bit. Add images.cosplay.com not www.cosplay.com
6) Now that it has been added to the list click on images.cosplay.com
7) Select the tab that says Global Settings
8) Where it says "Information About Your browser" deselect Use default settings and then click Permit
9 ) repeat step 8 with "info about visited sites"
10) Almost done! For good measure click on the tab that says "Ad Blocking" and add and permit images.cosplay.com

Click Ok for everything and exit the program.

Hope this helps everyone. It took almost an hour of trial and error to figure this out.

stefaniecat
04-20-2004, 10:56 AM
Agh, when I first saw this I was totally :crylaugh: for I would be able to see images again... But I wasn't able to do step 3... there was no advanced option in my Norton's Privacy Control configuration stuff... :waaaah:

When I click configure it only has the slider for 'low medium high' and a custom level, which is basically 'low medium high' but with a drop down menu instead....

I've Norton Internet Security 2003, is my version different than yours?

I do agree the issue is with Privacy control though, as turning it off completly lets me see images...

KusanIvy
04-20-2004, 08:41 PM
I've Norton Internet Security 2003, is my version different than yours?

Yes, unfortunately - I have Norton Internet Security 2004

stefaniecat
04-20-2004, 10:29 PM
Yes, unfortunately - I have Norton Internet Security 2004

::mutters under her breath and goes off to maim small woodland creatures::