PDA

View Full Version : Young cosplayers

~*kawaii neko*~
04-04-2004, 12:28 PM
hey hey!! ^__^ i was just wondering if there are any young cosplayers out there, like @ the age of about 16 and below. Its because I'm 13 `nd sumtimes its kinda scary hanging out with older strangers @ a convention. @_@ ahh not like im calling everyone that 17 up old, its just that, that age group is a bit, well i dunno. anyways, i'd b nice to meet ppl/ friends @ the fanime con that are around mai age group. thanks, kupo~ bye

domestik
04-04-2004, 04:28 PM
Ahh.. sweet memories. I remember when I first started cosplaying. I was 15 though. ^^~

Kinda funny to look back though, when I was 13. Sorta like a, "I can't believe I was that young. ;.; I'm such an old fogey now!" And only five years have passed since then. XD; *dork* Time flies by as you get older. =__=;;

In any case, I'm sure there are younger cosplayers that will be attending. ^^;

Kokuu
04-04-2004, 07:32 PM
Great, I'm old at 18 now >.<

It seems like the most common age would be around 16-17 at most cons, but there are still quite a few "younger" people in the 13-15 range cons. I first went to Fanime when I was 14 and my little sister and a couple of her friends went last year and she was 13. When I first went, I hung out with both kids my age, and older kids. And I still do today. I have very close friends who are 14, and I have friends who are in their 20's. I think one of the great things about anime, is that you meet and befriend many different people of different ages, though I understand your wanting to be with kids your age. But we "old fogeys" aren't bad. XD

~*kawaii neko*~
04-04-2004, 07:46 PM
Great, I'm old at 18 now >.<

It seems like the most common age would be around 16-17 at most cons, but there are still quite a few "younger" people in the 13-15 range cons. I first went to Fanime when I was 14 and my little sister and a couple of her friends went last year and she was 13. When I first went, I hung out with both kids my age, and older kids. And I still do today. I have very close friends who are 14, and I have friends who are in their 20's. I think one of the great things about anime, is that you meet and befriend many different people of different ages, though I understand your wanting to be with kids your age. But we "old fogeys" aren't bad. XD
ahh sorry, i didnt mean to call yooh old. and really? would everyone older than i am, be nice? friendly is good =D hehe, accually I didn't want to seem like the "pueny" insignificant little person in the older crowd thats all xD

Tevina
04-04-2004, 08:26 PM
Well I dont see why it would be scary to kick it with someone that's older than you, unless one is the type that is immature and giddy and the other is..not. lol. I have friends that are my age and friends that are in their early 20's. I don't really see any difference aside from the occasional, "Ah, you're too young to understand". Which is total bs, and that's not a real friend!! lol.

ChibiHiku
04-06-2004, 02:00 AM
^_^ I'm 20. Starting going to cons when I was 16. And since then I have made friends from a range of 15 to mid 30's. It's not about how old they are that could be scary. I think it's more of the type of people they are! ^_^ Cuz some of my older friends are REALLY awesome! And then again, some of my younger friends are just as awesome as well. I think you just need to mesh with the people at cons and choose who you feel the most comfortable with. For the most part, I've noticed that people are really friendly at cons! ^_^ And even with the rare occasion of meeting someone who isn't very friendly, you've got a ton of bystanders around you who will back you up if that person starts being mean! ^_^ So yah!... Hehe

felicity869
04-07-2004, 01:04 PM
That's one of the great things about anime cons, it doesn't matter how old you are. I'm 19 and have many younger and older friends. Don't be afraid of people just because they're not the same age as you. Think of it like this: we'er all tehre to have fun and make new friends and we all have a lot of th same interests. I'm bringing my 10 year old brother but he'd probably think you were old :)

~*kawaii neko*~
04-10-2004, 01:24 PM
ahhh.... sorrry everyone, if i offended any of you. its like... this is the first convention that im attending and i don't know how the atmosphere is around conventions. i really didn't mean any harm. reallly really sorry... i hope you all will forgive meeh and i hope i'll be able to meet you all there.

ChibiHiku
04-10-2004, 01:25 PM
^_^ Nooooo! You don't have to apologize! Everyone is just showing you that you have nothing to worry about. I'm sure no one was offended by your statement! I know I wasn't!

DayDreamerNessa
04-11-2004, 12:50 AM
I kind of figured when i read the topic in this thread you were a newbie to cons, not that thats a bad thing, but most aren't aware of what a con's atmospheres arelike. Last year when i went i was 15 and was hanging out with college students who were 18-23.

You shouldn't just hang out with those around your age though, most people at cons *especially at fanime* are very nice no matter the age. if you haven't already i suggest you sign up to the fanime message board, there are quiet a bit of people there that are around your age and people become good friends there, I mean i have a best friend that i made through the message board XD

Kokuu
04-11-2004, 12:56 AM
ahhh.... sorrry everyone, if i offended any of you. its like... this is the first convention that im attending and i don't know how the atmosphere is around conventions. i really didn't mean any harm. reallly really sorry... i hope you all will forgive meeh and i hope i'll be able to meet you all there.

Nope, I wasn't offended either. I'll take it as a complement, since I'm still a young'en by most people's definitions. Just don't sweat it, and have a good time. >.< Hopefully I'll meet you there- I'll be dressed as Baralai from FFX-2.

Genki Panda
04-11-2004, 04:04 AM
Yeah, everyone who's posted is right ^_~. It has more to do with how a person acts as opposed to their age. After all: age is just a number ^-^.

And you said nothing offensive, lol! I joke all the time about how I'm getting old... and I'm only going to be 19 in a few weeks, XD! And it's really funny when I say it around people who don't know my real age. In my everyday wear the oldest I've ever passed for was 15 and I've passed for as young as 12 or 13 (as in I was able to get into a full-priced movie on a child's ticket price ^_^).

I do understand the wanting to hang with people around your age, though ^_~. It does feel a bit more comfortable if that's what you're used to. I have so many good friends younger and older than me, though ^_^. One of my really good friends is in her late 20's and has three kids X_X (the oldest of which is 10-11 years old right now >.<;;.)... and I have some good friends younger than you ^_~. Lol! It was so funny when I was having my friend Nata spend the night a few months ago (she's 14) and her mom was all freaking out about her hanging out with an 18 year old college student, XD! But we had Nata's dad meet me (mom wasn't around, said she trusted her husbands judgement) and I passed the test. I think she was just afraid I'd be one of those punk or wannabe goth kids (I have nothing against goths, but it's the ones who do it because it's cool that bother me) Nata also hangs with >.>;;... and it probably also helped that I live at home so we made it clear my mom was there to make sure we didn't burn down the whole house, XD! Although those pancakes we made looked like they'd been through a war or something, LOL!!

So yeah, I have no idea where I'll be, but I'm cosplaying May from Guilty Gear XX with a few of my friends. Not sure which colour yet =/... definately one of the alternates (I look horible in orange, XD)... but yeah, just say hi if you see me ^_~.

Hope you have lots of fun and find great people to hang out with whether they're your age or not ^_^.

*huggles*

Love,
Genki

Karisu-sama
04-11-2004, 04:15 AM
My kids made their cosplay debut a few years ago at Fanime, and my oldest is now 13 (and doing cosplay commisions!!! o.O )

Fanime is VERY iffy for us this year though, as the committee moved it to the same weekend as Baycon in their *heavy sarcasm* "infinite wisdom". I know several of my daughter's age-mates will be attending (chaperoned!), however, so you should be in good company. ^^

Mink
04-11-2004, 12:46 PM
I wasnt really allowed to go to cons until I was 18 (though my younger brother could attend with me grrrr double standard) so you should feel lucky you could even go. Ive never had a problem with age at cons....heck half the time I dont even know the persons age until they tell me! Then I usually do a double take...because Im lame like that lol. Anyway dont let it intimidate you...go and be friends with whoever. Cosplayers tend to be really really nice and friendly. Ive met a ton of friends through cosplay so enjoy! /end cheesy reply

Astro
04-15-2004, 09:58 AM
But we "old fogeys" aren't bad. XD

I'm only fifteen, but the older people that I met last year were very nice (plus they tend to have nicer costumes to drool over)

I also think alot of the people are younger than they look.

Kokuu: Can't wait to see your Baralai!

dreamseerx
04-15-2004, 02:21 PM
Oh man, I know what you mean! Istarted cosplaying only last year when I was 13!!! This yera Im 14, so yayness! Don't worry, if you need soemone to hang out aroudn yuor age, you cna hang out with me! Just look for a Mikoto ((ff9)) cosplayer! You cna tell with the short blonde hair and the monkey tail. ;P

alostblackcat
04-19-2004, 11:50 PM
well i'm 13

if that matters....

but i'll be 14 in two months...

i dun have a costume though

i just started a Sesshoumaru costume

and i doubt i'll have it done by late may with all the stuff at my school..

i'll probably still be there though!

who are you gonna be?

if you wanna talk IM me

ifoundmyblackcat
or
ilostmyblackcat