PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to show my costume for an award.

Songstress_Yuna
04-09-2004, 08:29 PM
I just started cosplaying in the last year, and I want to put one of my costumes in for an award, at Anime North. Im not sure what I have to do, do I have to do a skit, or go in for a Masquerade?

I'm just not clear if I just go up show my costume, and then get off or do I have to do a little skit thingie. Lol please someone help me!

Sarcasm-hime
04-10-2004, 02:15 AM
You have a number of options. If you wish to show your costume on stage, you can either enter the Masquerade (which is a bigger event but has a time limit of approx. 1 minute per entry) or the Skit Contest (which allows up to 5 minutes IIRC). For the Skit Contest, obviously, you need a skit of some sort.

Many people in the Masquerade don't have a skit per se--walk-ons (where you walk on, do some poses to show off your costume, and walk off) are perfectly acceptable--but you can also do a dance number, short skit, etc. It's up to you--what kind of ideas do you have, how comfortable do you feel performing on stage, etc.

Kaijugal
04-10-2004, 02:53 AM
Since it's your first time you might like to do a walk on in the masquerade instead of something really complex for the skit competition. You can add alot to your walk on by just pre-recording some music or diolouge to be played during your walk on.

You can also be judged for workmanship on your costume backstage before the show.

If you choose not to compete in the masquerade or Skit Competition and just want to wear your costume around the hall, there is always a chance that you could get a 'Hall Costume Award'. *you may only win a hall costume or Masqerade award.

I highly suggest you attend the one of the panels at Anime North aimed at new cosplayers, you will be able to get many of your questions answered there as well.

One last note, you do not require an elaborate skit to win, Sarcasm Hime has won Best in Show with a walk on as have I. :)

I hope this is helpful!
Cheers!

Sarcasm-hime
04-13-2004, 12:18 PM
Heyyyy, I never won best in show. I got Best WORKMANSHIP in show...but that's not the same thing. I got Best Presentation in Class IIRC. Which is still pretty good...so yeah. Walk-ons can be good. ^_^

Lyulf
04-13-2004, 05:34 PM
Im going to try be a walk-on if I ever get this sewing done. Why cant bias tape come in my colour as well as thread being right to :angry:

dani
04-13-2004, 06:01 PM
One important point that Kaijugal mentioned is that the craftmanship judges look at your costume BEFORE the masquerade, so it doesnt matter what you do on stage for that particular award.

The story of my first ever masquerade adventure is here:
http://forums.cosplay.com/showpost.php?p=664803&postcount=11

Dani

Kaijugal
04-14-2004, 11:10 PM
Heyyyy, I never won best in show. I got Best WORKMANSHIP in show...but that's not the same thing. I got Best Presentation in Class IIRC. Which is still pretty good...so yeah. Walk-ons can be good. ^_^

My apologies. BEST WORKMANSHIP IN SHOW. :bigtu:
Heh. That's a super awsome award. ^_^ I :heart: Workmanship. (obviously)

Cheers!