PDA

View Full Version : Animazement first timer!

Linear-chan
04-12-2004, 12:05 PM
Ohayo! My name is Angelica aka Linear as my friends call me (the name just stuck). I am going to animazement this year. It is my first time at a convention ever!! I am 18 years old (yeah I am old.)and I am from St. Louis, Mo. I have always wanted to go to a convention but never had the money or transportation! This year I can finally go to one after watching some of my friends get to go for the last 3 years (yeah I was the one always left out, some friends). I am going with my boyfriend this year. I have never made a costume or anything. And yes I suck at sewing. But I am going to try to cosplay Linear from Evolution:World of Sacred Device. Anyone have any advice for a first timer to a convention? I have no clue what its going to be like and I know no one that is going. I hope to become friends with some people before I go so that I have some people to hang out while I am there. Hope to see you all there! You can IM me on aim or just send me a message!

Lin-chan

onnawufei
04-12-2004, 12:13 PM
Make sure you bring your camera! *LOL* And though I'm sure other cosplayers would say differently, I say you shouldn't stress too much about your costume. I tend to stress out WAY too much, so much so that while it's fun, it's still not as much fun as it should be. That's why I'm not cosplaying Mana (from Malice Mizer) this year, unlike the last two. Last year I spent so much time trying to be the perfect Mana that I missed a lot of opportunities to have fun. So if you can't get a costume 100% perfect, so what? The only ones who will care will be cosplay snobs and who needs 'em! ^_^

Of course this is all from someone who finds all her costume bits at the Goodwill. *LOL* Found cosplay all the way!

Rei2Rei
04-12-2004, 12:27 PM
AZ was my first Con too, a few years back. Its a really good convention for your first time! :heart:

Like onnawufei said-Make sure you bring your camera (and lots of film!). Money is good to have, also. You see lots of amazing stuff at convention's. Even though some stuff can be kinda pricey :sulk:

I wouldn't worry to much about a costume your first time. The first time I went I cosplayed. My costume was really bad. :thumbsup: I was so worried about what people would think and if anyone would take my picture. I think that might have taken away a little bit of my fun. But I don't regret it.

When my friend went with me last year she didn't cosplay. The whole time she kept telling me how she felt left out. So I dunno..It's up to you! ;) I wouldn't stress to much about it.

Hope this helps~!

~Rei2Rei

Farmboybob
04-12-2004, 01:04 PM
Here is some excellent info on what to do when attending your convention. (http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=404084&highlight=#404084)

This is helpful to newcomers and old-schoolers alike.

QuickSilver
04-12-2004, 07:55 PM
Hiya! *waves*
Oh, last year's Animazement was my first convention, so I guess I'm fairly new as well. Advice? YES as onna said, Thou shalt bring a camera!! Believe me, you'll want it! I wish I would've taken more now that I go back and look at it, but I won't make that mistake again!
I know how you feel, NO ONE I know goes.... but this year I hope to make lots of new friends too.
My boyfriend and I will be prowling the halls, feel free to drop in on us if you get too bored, na? ^_^

Linear-chan
04-12-2004, 09:11 PM
Thanks for all the info to help make my first convention a sucess! Sure, if anyone wants to hang out I am all up for it! I am currently trying to make my costume. No sucess so far, but hey I can dream can't i? ^_^ Hope to see you all there! What are you all cosplaying as and do you have any pics so I can pick you all out?

Farmboybob
04-12-2004, 10:25 PM
On the subject of making costumes Linear, I'll be the first to admit that I suck at it. So don't feel so alone if your having trouble making something. I have to get friends and family to make my stuff, at least you're trying, and that's all that counts.

quadrain61
04-13-2004, 04:17 PM
<--- Helped Farmboybob design something http://quadrain.classycutssalon.com/thing.htm

Lyn
04-13-2004, 05:31 PM
This is my first AZ (if I go ^^; still haven't got the final word on that x_x) but definently not my first convention. ^_^ I'm expanding my convention horizons a bit by going to some cons other than just Katsucon and Otakon now.

onnawufei
04-13-2004, 07:54 PM
The first time I went I cosplayed. My costume was really bad. :thumbsup: I was so worried about what people would think and if anyone would take my picture. I think that might have taken away a little bit of my fun. But I don't regret it.

The first year I went my costume sucked, but it was from an obscure anime so nobody noticed. *L* And since it involved two girls (my sister went with me that year) in little dresses nobody cared. :crylaugh:

Neko Cathy
04-15-2004, 03:31 PM
Hell... this is my first out of state con (same as what Lyn said).

QuickSilver
04-17-2004, 01:47 PM
I'll be in my Shuichi garb most of the time, and also Kagome. And of course, my boyfriend will be my pairing Yuki and Inu ^ ^

DDR Faery Spice
04-17-2004, 02:43 PM
Welcome to AZ, Linear-chan! I'm sure you'll love the con--It's small enough so you're not overwhelmed, but big enough that you'll have fun. I have loved AZ with all my heart since my first time in 2002. ^^ I did cosplay that first year, but, like many first cosplays, it had some...failings. I cosplayed as Asuka from Evangelion, and the lining for my dress wasn't finished in time, and the slip I wore under the dress kept falling.me trying to hold up my slipping slip onstage... (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=83218)
but this year I'll be wearing this (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=81805&password=&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=) mostly, and I'll prolly be following the Sake Ninjas around alot. I'm always wandering or playing DDR, so feel free to join me!

Tips for N00bs:
1. CAMERAS ARE ALL-IMPORTANT. I usually bring a few disposable camers. Unless you have high-quality or digital cams, I find that Kodak disposables work REALLY well.
2. Don't feel inadequate. There are many other people who are here for the first time as well, and many more besides who will think you're costume is awesome no matter how crappy it looks. There are also those who will think your costume sucks no matter how awesome it is("Oh, look-the thread she used is seafoam. Imagine that! Episode 30 of ---- CLEARLY showed that to be AQUA!"), but nobody pays any attention to them.
3. Make sure you stay well-fed. Nutrition is very important, at cons or otherwise. Caffeine and sugar(and alcohol, for the Sake Ninjas) are all good and well, but you don't wanna get sent to the hospital like some of us. -_-; Take my word for it--a liter and a half of Mountain Dew Code Red and some Goldfish on an empty stomach is NOT a good idea. Have fun, but remember to drink plenty of water and such. This may seem like common sense, but a lot of people forget this at cons. I did. ^^;
4. Be open! Don't be afraid to approach new people. Most likely, they won't be afraid to approach you. Be prepared for random glompage, for fangirls and fanboys will attack if given the chance. They're fun people. XD So don't be too introverted. A con is the most fun when you're running around in a sleep-starved, caffeine-induced sugar high. Whee!
5. Watch out for man-Faye.
6. Bathe regularly, and watch out for those who don't. This happens, and is BAD. euuuuuu. >.<

That seems about it. Just have fun! Sorry if this post was so long....I just hope it helps some. I hope you enjoy yourself, and see you there!

meedlymee
04-22-2004, 03:38 PM
this is my first time at animazement too! im really excited and hope my chii costume turns out as well as my mom is saying it will be (hey what can i say, im a student AND i work..)

i cant wait to meet new people though! (i'll be the one in a peachy chii costume with a HUGE sailor moon tattoo on my arm..sheesh i need to grow up)

HurricaneSpence
04-28-2004, 04:16 PM
Animazement last year was my first con ever. I threw together a rather hasty and none-too-grand Kakashi costume. It was kinda shoddy, but it was a really good time all the same. So i'd say if you can rig up a half-decent costume, then give it a shot. It's good fun. And all the advice so far has been good. Just go ready to meet some fun people and hang out. I know I'll be going back this year with a much improved Kakashi costume, and looking forward to it.

quadrain61
04-28-2004, 06:18 PM
4. Be open! Don't be afraid to approach new people. Most likely, they won't be afraid to approach you. Be prepared for random glompage, for fangirls and fanboys will attack if given the chance. They're fun people. XD So don't be too introverted. A con is the most fun when you're running around in a sleep-starved, caffeine-induced sugar high. Whee!

Add this to it: There's gonna be some people coming out of nowhere and ask for your picture. Unfortunately the guy from Rising Sun isn't coming and I doubt Kevin Lillard himself isn't coming (i gotta check on that) but one of his partners is bound to come (This team are the guys that take pictures for Animerica). So just be ready anyhow.

evaneko
04-28-2004, 07:24 PM
Just gonna kinda throw this out there...
Maybe all us cosplay.com'ers should wear a ribbon or something with our names on them so that we will be able to pick each other out? I know I wasn't able to identify anyone last year and am really looking forward to meeting some new peoples this year

DDR Faery Spice
04-29-2004, 05:05 PM
ribbons are a good idea...However, someof us don't wear our badges in a very conspicuous(sp?) place. Maybe a ribbon around the wrist? Sticker on the hand? Giant penguin on the head??Yes, I know I'm being silly...

meedlymee
04-29-2004, 05:42 PM
everyone should wear a very large cowboy hat with our names on them.

Farmboybob
04-29-2004, 06:19 PM
Good idea Meedlymee. I'm going to try and see if I can find a hat (or a penguin hat, my friend has one) that will fit my cactaur suit. :D

ShatteredSunset
04-29-2004, 07:00 PM
I would! But I dunno where I'd put it where it'd be obvious, but not in the way. Oh well. I'll be the chick with three giant wings strapped to her back. *g*

meedlymee
04-30-2004, 11:42 AM
cowboy hats for all!

i dont know anyone, but you can tell its me by the very large sailor moon tattoo on my right arm. i'll be dressed as chii so it wont be that hard to see my arm. so if you wanna say hi, please do!

onnawufei
04-30-2004, 06:29 PM
Well, if you see a freak in a lab coat with a Pikachu mask... that's me. Unless of course I don't do that one. *LOL*

Goddess Cookie
05-03-2004, 06:59 AM
My first year was last year at AZ...I had a grand total of $2 and no camera...but I took pics with other peoples cameras...this year I am prepared!

M.O.M.O
05-03-2004, 12:57 PM
Last year was my first con too :P. Its insane fun,or atleast it was for me. Hehe it was the only place I felt safe running up to someone and just randomly talking to them about anime and then random things. First year at a con and then cosplaying=crazy stress ;_;. I was so nervous that my costume would look weird around all those amazing ones.

Oh. And brings LOTS of money because the dealer room will steal you.[I stole too much from my parents!]

FRANK THE BUNNY
05-03-2004, 04:05 PM
yeah, this my first convetion too.

im gladd i finally get to met some anime fans, there hard to find in my town

5. Watch out for man-Faye.

im scared

M.O.M.O
05-03-2004, 05:06 PM
Hm I thought that man faye was only at Anime Expo. Though last year there was a man Sailor Chibi Moon :P

onnawufei
05-04-2004, 07:42 AM
Hm I thought that man faye was only at Anime Expo. Though last year there was a man Sailor Chibi Moon :P

Personally, I think Man Scouts are funny, but I'm a twisted girl. Man Faye now... I dunno... haven't seen it, sounds kinda freaky. *L*

DDR Faery Spice
05-04-2004, 05:58 PM
man-faye is a horibble abomination that should be annihilated. yeah. People should recognize me...I'll either be with the Sake Ninjas, who're impossible to miss, dressed as the DDR Faery(also hard to miss), or with a big One Piece group. I'll find you all!!!

Squally2207
05-04-2004, 06:35 PM
My 2nd AZ! Yatta! >^_^<

meedlymee
05-04-2004, 08:28 PM
sweet my chii costume is almost complete..but now instead of being peachy colored its pink and white gingham patterned. which is totally sweet i swear.

darienicole
05-05-2004, 11:13 AM
Last year at AZ was my first con! It was really awesome. But, um, yeah. Money. Camera. With lots of film. All my friends cosplayed, but I just wore some cute little wings. This guy was taking pictures for a magazine or something. "Are you cosplaying a Megatokyo character?" "No..." And he ignored me after that.
I'm going as Rakka, Soujirou, and Subaru-kun, I think. I'll probably be up on stage as Subaru. If we get around to finishing it, please watch for the Angst-O-Meter skit!

Shadablade
05-05-2004, 12:11 PM
ok this is a tad offtopic, but this is gonna be my 6th AZ, and not once hav i signed up for the cosplay due to stage fright (why i like to VA...no one to see me LoL) Anyways anyone hav advice to overcome as such? The underware trick dont work either :p

Kilayi
05-05-2004, 03:37 PM
Giant penguin on the head??
Heh... i am taking Kamin and he's cosplaying ad Tuxedo Gin... so I think i will go with the penguin not necessarily on the head tho XD.... (By the way: I will most likely carry him around in my nurse outfit... thats the only one it wont look too wierd with XP... ohg and for those who are wandering who Kamin is, hes my stuffed penguin... XD)

Edit: Might as well say what im cosplying as again since i have changed the lineup...
A chocobo, Milly, a nurse, and Naota... look for any of those
I guess i can wear a ribbon... what color/size? So that we all are uniform in our ribbon-ness...

Maybe you could tell me apart due to the fact that I will always have my Wolfwood keychain on my badge or somewhere on me, so I guess you can look for that too, and my badge name is Kilayi, if you are looking close enough XD

darienicole
05-05-2004, 09:57 PM
Okay, I'm a theatre geek, I had to overcome the stage fright thing too. One of the best things to do is try to immerse yourself completely in the character, so you forget about the audience. This is a general pain in the ass, and never worked for me, but it works for some people. My first time acting on stage, I took my glasses off so that I actually couldn't see the audience. After that I worked on concentrating on just my lines, only my lines, &$% the fricking lines, until I was offstage. If you want to practice, try acting in front of a bunch of friends first, and then see if your English teacher will let you do something in front of the class.
That's all I can think of. Let me know if any of it helps!

GreatSG
05-05-2004, 10:06 PM
Heh... i am taking Kamin and he's cosplaying ad Tuxedo Gin... so I think i will go with the penguin not necessarily on the head tho XD.... (By the way: I will most likely carry him around in my nurse outfit... thats the only one it wont look too wierd with XP... ohg and for those who are wandering who Kamin is, hes my stuffed penguin... XD)

I like that, your now Nurse Minako. Make sure your Kamen has a little tie or something. XD

BTW, i'm the doc she's being a nurse for along with Avanon and Cookie_goddess. Dr. Hentai, E.D. 'Master of Gropu no Jutsu' :bigtu:

Shadablade
05-05-2004, 10:07 PM
Thanks For the tps, Ill give them a shot :)

Goddess Cookie
05-06-2004, 06:45 AM
Nurse! XD I'm am evil!!!! Well my outfit isn't the traditional stupid color of a nurse outfit...mines black!

GreatSG
05-06-2004, 02:12 PM
Nurse! XD I'm am evil!!!! Well my outfit isn't the traditional stupid color of a nurse outfit...mines black!

\Your name shall be Nurse Freya then.

DDR Faery Spice
05-06-2004, 05:27 PM
I have a gothloli outfit I may bring if it's finished in time that looks a lot like a nurse's outfit....but it's all black and red and frilly and stuff. ^^ I love making clothes...half my closet is stuff I've made or altered in some way, which is t3h awesometastic. At least nobody will be wearing my clothes!!!I wish I had a big group of people to go with...I have a "cosplay contest" group, but not a themed thingy to just wander around in. Maybe I'll find a bunch of DDR players, give them big stickers that say "ACOLYTE" on them, and get them to follow me around. XD DDR is a cult, I swear! And I'm the Virgin Mary, as it were. Wow that sounded sacriligious. But yeah. Back to the topic...
Cosplaying fear? Well, as long as you don't pass out, there's nothing to really prove that you are afraid. You technically don't have to say anything, and once you're onstage, the people just blend into the background. You can barely see them anyway, since the lights are so bright and aimed RIGHT AT YOUR HEAD!!!! DUCK! But yeah...sometimes taking someone else up on stage with you helps, or doing something in your "skit" that you feel really comfortable doing, or that calms you.
Cosplay stuff: Nami, DDR Faery, Sake Ninja Cougar, random chick from DOAX just coz I'm gonna be swimming and playing around, and don't want to have to change and shower and stuff until a few hours after lunch on Friday and Saturday...XD, possibly a gothloli thingy if I finish in time, maybe "Goth Girl"(heroine of the suicidally inept).
BTW...."gropu no jutsu"? Niiiice. XD

Kilayi
05-06-2004, 08:35 PM
I like that, your now Nurse Minako. Make sure your Kamen has a little tie or something. XD

BTW, i'm the doc she's being a nurse for along with Avanon and Cookie_goddess. Dr. Hentai, E.D. 'Master of Gropu no Jutsu' :bigtu:
well then you better not be trying out your ninja skills with your nurses or youre going to be murdered XD