PDA

View Full Version : Manga Cosplay

Legato/Machan
06-08-2002, 08:14 PM
I want to know, how many here have ever done a cosplay based on manga (non-anime) characters?

Babbit_Chan
06-08-2002, 09:16 PM
I've done an Usyagi from Wish so that's my cosplay for this one ^^

RealizeDOP
06-08-2002, 09:51 PM
Oh yesh~~~ lots of Manga designs are muuch muuuuuuch prettier!

Michi
06-08-2002, 09:58 PM
But manga designs can also be a lot more elaborate and harder. ^^;; I'm doing Alcione from Rayearth at AX, and I'm taking a few things from both the anime & manga designs... Like the pretty staff from the manga but only one thing of armor from the anime. ^^; In the manga she has like three things extending, and I just don't have the time/skill.. o_O

Tenshi
06-08-2002, 10:11 PM
My first costume, Sailor V, was based off the manga. Of course, I didn't have it quite done at AX01 so you probably couldn't tell ^^;;. My Pretear costume started out based solely on the anime, but I've been incorporating some things from the manga to make it look prettier ^_^. Also, I'm DYING to one day do a Suu (from Clover) outfit.

Rosiel
06-08-2002, 11:55 PM
> I want to know, how many here have ever done a cosplay based on manga (non-anime) characters?

When I cosplayed Angel Sanctuary, there was no anime, so that was a manga-only cosplay. ^_____^ Seriously, very few people knew what we were dressed as. That's the downside of manga cosplay, you get a lower recognizability, since it's easier to get fansubs than mangas + fan translations.

I did a Zoisite manga version too. A lot of people thought I was from Macross for some reason. o_O They just didn't make the link.

Ginny
06-09-2002, 12:36 AM
I'm about to attempt a Clamp manga based costume and GOD DAMN IT! Every peice of art is different than the one before it. So, it's hard to do an acurate costume of just one picture (because usually that one picture doesn't tell you everything you need to know) but it does allow you to do your own interpretations and variations. ^.^

Rosiel
06-09-2002, 10:07 AM
> Every peice of art is different than the one before it.

That holds even for non-artbook pics sadly. I'm working on my AX costume, I have to cross-reference half a dozen small illustrations and they all have different lengths, trim placements etc. It's annoying.

> it does allow you to do your own interpretations and variations.

Exactly, you get to pick what you like better. ^___^

The problem is when the image is highly incomplete, like all the problems Jibriel cosplayers have trying to invent the bottom of some of her dresses.

I know I don't like having to imagine huge parts of my costume due to lack of documentation. >_< But I'd rather do that than pattern my costume after, say, Japanese cosplayers.

Am I the only one who thinks it's silly to pattern your own outfit after other cosplayers' instead of the source material and your imagination?

Tenshisama
06-09-2002, 11:27 AM
I actually really like looking at other cosplay pics to get ideas before I make a costume. Since I still consider myself a beginner, I can use all the help I can get. That includes looking at different costumes and trying to get an idea for how they were constructed, or what materials they used, etc. I can also mix and match ideas and then create something I like.

Of course, the goal is to stick as close to the original as possible. :)

As for manga cosplay, I haven't done any yet but I have plans to. The main female character in my favorite manga (Kare Made Rabu Km) has a cute jumper for her spring/summer school uniform that I love. The style is even fashionable now if you go off some of the designs in pattern books. ^_^;; So I could wear it normally, and nobody would know its cosplay. ^____^

This is kind of on the same topic, but....
for manga cosplay where there are no color pics (artbook or otherwise), how do you decide what colors to use? For example, in Hana Yori Dango manga, it looks like her skirt is houndtooth or whatever (that semi-checkered looking pattern) but in the one color picture that exists (a color page in Margaret) its just a plain blue skirt like she wears in the anime. There are no colors for my Miyuu jumper, so I'm trying to decide what colors it should be....

Ayaka
06-09-2002, 02:16 PM
I just realized, I'm doing a manga cosplay. lol. I'm doing a costume of Peorth's from the manga, that's only in the first . . . err, 40 pages or so. I spent a lot of time squinting at panels, trying to figure out what attaches to what. There are very few inconsistencies, at least, guess he has good assistants. But I'm taking liberties with things, especially with colors, since there's only one color image of an outfit like this, and it's a slight variation. I decided to do the leather strapping in brown, which is how it is in the other color manga images of other outfits and also in the anime, instead of the bright yellow in this one pic. I think that's what you should do, Tenshisama, base it off the type of colors in other outfits, or just go with what YOU want and look good in.

But basically, with manga cosplay, I think you're (nearly) always going to have to do some invention. For an anime, that character has to be drawn by a ton of people, so they have to do very careful model sheets and stuff. With manga it's pretty much just the one person. So you can have a character in a really elaborate outfit, because it doesn't need to move or obey the laws of physics in any way. The only downside is, I think I may not get recognized as being Peorth, and if I do I'll probably get told it's inaccurate; I swear her hair is brown, not black, in the manga . . .

Tenshisama
06-09-2002, 10:01 PM
*huggles Ayaka
thanks for the good advice.

I have just lucked out though ^____^ I was reading my KareRabu manga volume 6... and you know how you can always tell if the manga picture was originally in color cause the artwork is much smoother, etc? well, there were two pictures in volume 6 like that in which she was wearing her uniform!! So I looked up what Margaret issues they were in, searched through all my grocery bags full of those things, and found the pictures!! Yay!! It's a brown based pattern, so I think it should be easy enough to find something close to it. I had already guessed that it would have been in the yellow/brownish/deep orange color scheme, but it's much nicer knowing what it actually is. Yay! I'm so happy I found something. ^_^ I wonder if I can find pics of her winter school uniform too....

yayahan
06-10-2002, 10:40 AM
Nyaa, I did Alichino cosplay and luved it! ^o^ I dunno if Chobits counts since it's being made into an anime now ^^;... and I did a Madoka Mermaid costume that was based on an illu. Then of course there is the Fire Faerie that's from my own manga XD.
I enjoy manga cosplay a lot since it gives you so much more freedom and variety to work with. Besides, it's more detailed as well.

Rosiel
06-10-2002, 10:52 AM
> how do you decide what colors to use?

I've been lucky with that. The only no-color manga cosplays I have done were for Angel Sanctuary, and I just translated white = white, black = black, trim = silver, gray = red. Gothy manga, gothy colors. ^___^

You can always try to cross-reference with other characters/art from the same series to see what color combinations are more often used. I found the silver trim on another outfit, and just applied it to the one I was doing, for example.

HuongStar
06-10-2002, 11:06 AM
Actually, I find that there are way more interesting costumes in manga than most anime. The limitations of animation.... *sigh*

Inconsistencies make it fun for the cosplayer who likes to experiment. ^_^

Jibrille
06-10-2002, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Rosiel

The problem is when the image is highly incomplete, like all the problems Jibriel cosplayers have trying to invent the bottom of some of her dresses.

I know I don't like having to imagine huge parts of my costume due to lack of documentation. >_< But I'd rather do that than pattern my costume after, say, Japanese cosplayers.

Am I the only one who thinks it's silly to pattern your own outfit after other cosplayers' instead of the source material and your imagination?

the jibrille costume is the only thing i've done that kinda fits in this thought.
but yes....inventing the bottom was fun ^^; BUT ITS FINISHED! *laughs hysterically*
and yes, modeling costumes after japanese cosplayers(or anyone for that matter) is evil.
i am all about getting my own ideas from pictures.
pick a real art source type pic and run with it. ^^

Nietsche
06-11-2002, 06:23 AM
Only manga costume i have ever done was Kotensyo who only appears in the Houshin Engi manga!

Ali-kun
06-11-2002, 04:14 PM
The lack of color in manga (durr ^^; ) makes me less inclined to TRY it...but in Alice 19th, which I picked up at Akon, there's one character with a really cool-looking outfit...I don't know his name, though, since I haven't read it yet, only flipped through before I bought it to look at the art ^^; It's the blonde/light-haired guy with nifty braids.

I read through all the posts and, yah, the lack of consistency in various color pictures WOULD be a problem...but that is why cosplayers are creative people! Go creativity!

Yaya - I dun think Chobits counts as anime cosplay if you did it before you saw the anime ^_~ By the way, I have not really seen/read Chobits - where did the design come from, an artbook picture or imagination? The colors are just too pretty ^_^

...I think I would like to have the Alice 19th guy's shirt, if not for COSPLAY, just to wear! Because it is cool-looking! And I am using a lot of exclamation points! Go me

Ayaka
06-11-2002, 09:39 PM
Nietsche - Go Kotensyo! XD I want to do Bou-chan, from Houshin Engi : Another Story . . . but I don't think anyone would recognize it. Eh, I'll probably do it anyway, she's SO COOL . . .