04-12-2004, 08:13 PM
How was the dances for y'all? Me and Rob had a
great time doing them. Unfortunately it looks like
my last time doing Anime Boston's dance, but me and rob
will be doing AMA, neko and katsu. Once again, appreciate
feedback to help us with putting on dances. -&rew

Lil
04-12-2004, 09:52 PM
I really liked what you did with the screen, with the effects and also the video games. Everyone cheered when they beat SM Bros. It was great! I liked the music, but some of the remixes were too heavy techno for my tastes... to the point where you can barely reckongize the song anymore. Some slow songs for the couples would have been nice too, and also a break inbetween dancing all the heavy techno/dance so people who got tired could stay on the dance floor.

Mesoian
04-12-2004, 10:29 PM
The first night was better. I was really confused what happened ont hes econd night.
On the first night, they played songs that I usually never hear at clubs like "Just won't do". I was absolutely hyped when I heard that song. I did a front flip. But the only song I could get hyped for on the second night was the streets or rage 2 song and One more Time by Daft Punk. No jet set radio was played. I was upset.

So yeah, the first night was better.

Dragonrage
04-12-2004, 10:53 PM
I too loved the video game playing on the big screen that was awesome. I believe though that the dance reminded me very much like the big clubs in Seaside heights NJ and New York NY. And it reminded me of a time when i would go to clubs and raves. In my opinnion though a lot of the other people complained and left because they felt the songs were too techno and barely noticable as their former intent was. but me personally i had fun and loved it until i was so dehyrdated and tired that i was almost carried to my hotel room. Oh the joys of my former youth even though I'm only 22.

Paxus
04-13-2004, 12:45 AM
Lil: We've tried it in the past and it really hasn't worked, but I try to slow the tempo at least a little during the night. The tempo drops sometimes are hard to time as people are just starting to dance while others are getting tired. I sometime use Lain for that, but didnt get a chance to because of some requests. I'll keep that in mind for AMA though.

Mesoian: Sorry bout not getting to the jet set radio, i tried out some of the future stuff on the soundsystem and it wasn't sounding so hot. The regular stuff was kinda mislabeled so it got out of place. The first night was a little bit of good and a little bit of improv. The other dudes with me were going for a little more trance, I was mostly the house and breaks you heard earlier in the night. I tried to balance remixes that people might know, with some of the house that I love. Went better than I expected.

dragonrage: glad you had fun, we try our best to balance what the crowd knows with requests, and what moves people. We've also had problems because an entire crowd might not know what another quarter does, so that can be alienating unfortunately. I'll try to compile what I can from what we played just to give ya an idea. Gonna goto sleep now, but expect it tomorrow, heh.

-&rew

Paxus
04-13-2004, 01:11 PM
off the top of my head:

Chobits OP (new step mix)
Idol Talk and Information High (Macross Plus)
One Night in Arabia and Space Boy (Initial D)
Tank! Luke Viebert mix (Cowboy Bebop)
Strongbad techno
Yatta Remix
Malice Mizer - Color me blood red
Ayumi Hamasaki - Depend on you (dj shog mix)
Two Mix - Rhythm Emotion
Konya wa no Hurricane (instrumental avex mix) (BGC2040)
Contra base (oc remix)
Streets of Rage 2 Funkdreamer (oc remix)
Ian van Dahl - Castles in the Sky (Yoji Biomehanika mix)
Maniac and Dr.Loop - Banana Boat theme (dancemania mix)
Michael Fortunati - Break it up (B4 ZA Beat mix)
Rockman OP remix (oc remix)
Brinstar Theme (Ben Lewis oc remix) (Metroid)
2 Unlimited - Mortal Kombat (avex ext. mix)
JS16 - Stomp to my beat
Final Fantasy Intro. (disco diablo mix)
Lupin OP (Italian mix)

That's just a portion of what I played, Rob played the
other half, so I can't vouch for what he did. Friday
was straight up dance music, but I tried my best to
work stuff that people might recognize in. -&rew

number18
04-13-2004, 04:38 PM
I really liked the music on Friday. It was good stuff and there were a good handful of b-boys out there reppin (cept me cause I am too rusty :P). Saturday, maybe the music was good. I think I was too tired, and no matter where I went on the dancefloor I smelled BO. It was terrible. I think less smelly fanboys might have given me a better night. I'm not sure. The music sounded good...

Initial Diesal
04-13-2004, 07:44 PM
How bout adding some Daft Punk music, they are famous for some legit anime style music videos. The old school games are cool for a while but for hours it tends to get boring. I'm not much on music so I wouldn't know. I'll see you at AmA

makonurikoryoko
04-13-2004, 08:54 PM
I liked it being very upbeat. Though I didnt like the chobits opening mix.. it was awkward and hard to dance to... I just didn't like that song.

Paxus
04-14-2004, 01:10 AM
number18: thanks for the positive feedback. Lemme know if you're going to be at AMA, thinking about doing a dance workshop, just showing general styles and whatnot. Yeah and BO is always an issue : /, peeps need to get the shower.

Initial Diesal: We did actually, "One More Time", me and rob got up on the chairs, tried to get everybody to sing and through out our voices in the process. Was worth it, singalongs rawk. We definetly will be throwing in some for AMA, trust me. : ) Oh yeah, and those videos are portions of the anime musical they did, "Interstellar 5555". It's wild and just amazing.

makonurikoryoko: I understand completely, its a genre called 2 step, which is a bit tricky on the feet. I've thought about doing a dance workshop at one of the upcoming cons. Gonna try to get a bunch of para people, breakers, and general dancers to help out. I can pop and lock like mad, but that's about it. Yeah, we're hesitant on breakbeats for that reason, and some songs can't be used because they're too sparse altogether.

makonurikoryoko
04-14-2004, 07:48 AM
A dance workshop would be awesome! We Otaku need some dance tips for sure! :D hehe

Lil
04-14-2004, 11:35 AM
A dance workshop would be awesome! We Otaku need some dance tips for sure! :D hehe

I so need one of these! If you can make the workshop, I'll definatly attend and drag peoples along too! My freind only taught me a few moves, and they kinda get old after a while. Plus it would help with those hard to dance to songs. I heard One More Time when it was being played, I was happy. :) That and the DDR music..... The one I really liked came before it. It's called "Falling in Love" or something like that.

EvilMoogleQueen
04-14-2004, 04:26 PM
I actually liked the dance on Saturday better...
The dance was a lot of fun and I really liked the screen (especially the scrapped princess images thrown in the mix on saturday)

I think you did a very nice job with the dance.

yukitoLeonheart
04-14-2004, 04:32 PM
Seeing both Katsucons and AB's, they were both different. I really do love your work though. As always, you mixed it up, the visuals were amazing, and it was nice. Friday just wasn't trashy as compared to most cons so it was a challenge, I am still a huge fan of your work and think Saturday was more decent, just not as many people were there and everyone was beat. I don't know why. Like it just wasn't as energetic of an atmosphere. I still loved the music and visual combos and seeing some new ones.

See, as far as feedback, I would love for this to be like my old creative writing and say "what was effective and what could of been more effective" but I don't know. I guess I am biased because you were and are stil lthe best con DJ crew, you guys should make shirts. I would love if I was creative enough to help or knew what I was doing, but I have no clue. Overall it was really a blast, I just think it was the crowd or atmosphere this time.

HeeroJF
04-14-2004, 10:25 PM
Like always you guys were the best, although this time it seemed like you were more pressed with time somehow. You'd shift from one song to the other before it got to play all the way through. Like you faded "Give a Reason" away before getting to the really really good part.

The other thing is that the dance was SOO crowded!! Hard to do the usual large and flowing dance moves I usually like to do.

Paxus
04-15-2004, 08:38 AM
yukito: thanks for the support as always, good to see ya for a lil
bit after the dance, be sure to hit up AMA and see us again. I'll
have to talk to Rob and see if we can think of anything for a t-shirt
heh.

HeeroJF: Yeah we were pressed for time at points, sorry about that.
Also wanted to get a buncha the requests in. Remind me at AMA (if you
go) and i'll play the full thing with no fading out. : )

HeeroJF
04-15-2004, 07:17 PM
I won't be at AMA (going to Balticon the same weekend), but I'll enjoy another one of your dances soon enough!

Paxus
04-16-2004, 03:59 PM
Heero JF: Dang right you will, sunday night at Balticon i'm doing their dance as well. : ) I'm like American Express, everywhere you wanna be. -&rew

HeeroJF
04-18-2004, 09:35 PM
whoah! I get to sample you guys there, too! That's cool! See you there!