PDA

View Full Version : What's make up?

Juu-Sama
04-12-2004, 10:14 PM
not only am I new to cosplaying, I am also new to make up due to recent growth into and over puberty (just turned 16) I have yet to use any kind of make up on my face (okay maybe some done by professionals when I have to go on stage for singing or recital or whatever) but they cost about $240 an hour.

so... um...since I've seen sooooooo many pictures of people looking just as good without spending that $240...so maybe some one can get me started????????

cannot ask mother to help because she does it so terribly that even I know better than to learn from her.

just so that you know...erm...(blushes terribly) :thumbsup: I am probably the only girl in the world who doesn't really know what a base is...and what's the difference between it a concealer?????? ??? ???

thanks for your time

Cindy-sama

Karisu-sama
04-13-2004, 12:01 AM
Eh, Cindy-chan ^^

I don't know about in Japan (re: your profile), but in many department stores in the United States, the people who work at the make-up counter will often give lessons or "makeovers". It may cost a bit, or it may cost nothing - but they are hoping that of course in the end you will buy make-up, and return to buy more.

Concealer is what you dot on top of small areas to hide color differences. Typical concealer colors are skin tones, green (to cancel red spots - it actually works) and yellow (to cancel blueish areas, such as under the eyes.) Concealers may be used under foundation, or just by themselves when one wants to help quickly hide a "blemish". Of course they should be blended into the skin, not just dotted on like paint. :p Different natural shades should be available to buy, since there are many different tones of skin.

Base or Foundation is used to make the whole face area into one simple skin tone, like a canvas. After using foundation, one uses blushes and highlights and such to help "contour" the face, or give it shape by adding shadowing or highlighting in different areas. It is recommended that when foundation is used, you continue it down a bit into the neck area so as not to have the face sharply different from the rest of your skin.

If you learn to apply it yourself, a lovely make-up job should be very inexpensive.

-- Karisu

LuckInSpades
04-13-2004, 12:33 AM
And, might I add to Karisu's magical and wonderful tips:

When going for ANYTHING to put on your face, spring for OIL FREE or something that promises to not clog your pores. That will just cause more pimples when you are trying to hide them. Or, you can also go for some consealer/foundation products that have acne medication in them.

Cause trust me, I too had a bad case of the puberty blues! Oil free and medicine are your friends... Definately go easy on the theatre makeup when you don't have to! Those are THE WORST because they are oil based so they don't sweat off when you're onstage.

So good luck!

bipolarbunny
04-13-2004, 01:42 AM
if you have dry skin like me, moisterize before you put anything on, or it tends to get cakey and look just bad.

a quick dust of powder sets all the foundation so it doesn't go smudgey. you can get the kind that doesn't dry out your skin too.

make sure you test it out on your arm first because you might be allergic to some makeups

Juu-Sama
04-13-2004, 03:00 PM
wooh...thank you so much for the info! (crying over people's kindness)
anyways, Karisu-sama, sorry about the misleading profile. am currently not in Japan (Japan is for summer and family reunions...not that I could understand much japanese...sniff sniff....) and yup, stuff in Japan are generally more expensive than they are in US...(however people in Japan also make more $$$)

THank you very much
CIndy-sama

HuongStar
04-14-2004, 11:13 AM
Cindy, your local library may have this extremely helpful book:

Bobbi Brown Teenage Beauty: Everything You Need to Look Pretty, Natural, Sexy & Awesome (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/006019636X/inktomi-bkasin-20/ref%3Dnosim/104-0390236-8703917)

If they do not carry it, any of the beauty books by Bobbi Brown, Kevyn Aucoin, or Sonia Kashuk would be well-worth a read for a beauty beginner. You definitely do not need to pay $240 or anything for that matter to get a great makeover. If you and your parent have time, schedule a beauty appointment at a local department store cosmetic counter; I would suggest youth-friendly lines like Clinique, MAC, Stila or even a store like Sephora. Most of the time, these kinds of "consultations" are at a nominal charge or free. Best of all, these ladies can walk you through, step-by-step, on whatever you would like know.

Here are some tips for a natural look (http://forums.cosplay.com/showpost.php?p=660095&postcount=3), which would be perfect for someone new to makeup. :)

Xanthe Kelsylva
04-14-2004, 01:28 PM
You know what I do? I just wear lipstick. Or nothing at all. People are more beautiful when they look natural. Makeup is so pointless unless you're going to be on stage; people use it because they're pressured to and they feel insecure. Some costumes require it because the character looks particularly odd (e.g. Shiva has blue skin). But for most costumes and for everyday wear, don't worry about make up. If you wear too much, you'll age faster later on. If you really want to look like you're wearing makeup, just put on a lipstick color that matches your outfit and looks good on you. I usually wear pink, red, or a soft purple.

Juu-Sama
04-14-2004, 04:10 PM
Yup, yup, normally I really don't use make up (mother is extremely against it too, traditional Asian mothers....) and I normally don't really care how I look

however, I have to admit while my sking is okay looking, I show up terrible in photos and strong lights (maybe I was a vampire in the last life).

because I have unatrually pale skin (for asians), in photos or under strong light ALL of the little red dot thingies (whatever the correct term was) shows up.

so for cosplaying I figured I might need a little makeup just so that people don't see a good costume ruined by my flawed (sometimes icky) skin.

Juu-sama

^_^

bipolarbunny
04-14-2004, 07:36 PM
yeah, i'm asian too and i have very thin skin over my cheeks and a lot of the times in pics they either look really red or they have red veins.

i used to wear concealer on my cheeks, but now i'm too lazy :P

Xanthe Kelsylva
04-14-2004, 08:50 PM
Maybe you should talk to your photographer about the problem. A good photographer will adjust the lighting and camera so that the picture looks good.

Genki Panda
04-14-2004, 09:02 PM
On the stage makeup: if you do use this at all, remember to put a moisterizer(sp?) on before you put on the base.

As LuckInSpades mentioned it is a an oil-based makeup and is very bad for your skin. But what the moisterizer(sp?) does is to close your pores so that you reduce the amount of makeup that gets into them.

Sorry ^^;;... the theatre buff just can't resist adding her two cents when it comes to stage makeup.

Anywho, personally I'd say you should stick with street since it'll probably fit your needs a lot better ^-^. I just can't seem to keep my mouth shut when it comes to theatre stuff, XD!

*huggles*

Juu-Sama
04-15-2004, 04:19 PM
THank you all so much for the tips.
just out of curiosity (since I am going to start practicing with my make up skills before the cons) what brand of make up is good for starders? if doing make up is anything like painting (which I am faily decent at) then it would probably take some practice before I could go out in stree in them... heh...

an other thing is, from what I picked up, it sound like alot of stuff to buy, now (since I am very sheltered) is there any place that has all of them??? (at cheap price too???)
or am I asking for too much?

Juu-sama (bows)

thank you again, ^_^ MEEP ^_^ you guys are GREATTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nancyboynoire
04-20-2004, 10:43 PM
Well, applying make up kind of like painting, as in the sense it does take some practice (I cannot tell you how many times I poked my eye with I was trying to apply some black eyeliner. XD ) but it's not like you should just slap on the foundation and the concealer like paint. I try to use my make up sparingly, put a thin coat of foundation all over my face, it looks a little more natural and less 'caked-on'.

You can buy make up almost anywhere here In Toronto. Try big shopping malls with places like Shoppers drug mart and such. Or look in your yellow pages under cosmetics or beauty.

Ruby-Chan
04-20-2004, 11:31 PM
for me the essentials are
foundation/concealer- a makeup usually liquid used to smooth skin tone and cover up imperfections. try something very light to begin with.

eyeliner and mascara- it just brings out the eyes. for first time use by a stick eyeliner. you can then upgrade to liquid if you prefer (but its harder to apply)

a lipstick- pick a shade just slightly darker than you natural lip colour for starters. a clear gloss over top will give you shine as well