PDA

View Full Version : Firefly cosplay

Pages : [1] 2 3

Gale
04-15-2004, 09:22 AM
Kari G. and I talked about this a while ago, but I was thinking about cosplaying some characters from the show Firefly. more specifically, Kaylee (the ship's mechanic). I was thinking of doing her outfit from "Objects In Space" where she's sitting on the couch with Simon. (pictures: 1 (http://www.loony-archivist.com/pretty/img/gallery/caps/ois1.jpg), 2 (http://www.loony-archivist.com/pretty/img/gallery/caps/ois11.jpg)). my question is: i have a similar shirt to that, but its not quite the same...should i bother to make a shirt just like her's or should i just go with the one i have?

also...is anyone else interested in firefly cosplay? Kari and i might be going to a con sometime as Kaylee and River...and if anyone is interested we can think about when and where that could be.

kylash327
04-15-2004, 12:40 PM
Ive got a replica of Jane's Blue Sun shirt layin around...lol

ZiggyB
04-15-2004, 05:46 PM
I love that show. :) The actor who plays Wash is even going to be at a local con here. (Promoting I, Robot).

Good luck with the cosplay, that show is really hard to costume from since the clothes are rather non-distinct. :)

murmur
04-18-2004, 05:09 PM
I *love* Firefly, my boyfriend and I are going to the next con we go to as Browncoats. *s* About the shirt, I think using your own would be fine-- so long as you do the coveralls (and I always loved that she wore them down like pants in this ep.), the character will be recognizable. :)

Gale
04-18-2004, 05:39 PM
yah, i just need to get the coveralls and a good teddy-bear patch for the knee. i just got the series for my b-day and i payed close attention to all the stuff...all i really would need would be a floral/aisian print shirt and the coveralls. i only wish i could have someone with me cosplaying as Simon ^^; he's so cute!!

Kairi G
04-19-2004, 02:52 PM
well as gale said, im planning a river costume. The outfit she wore in the ep. Safe (with the creepy town that thinks shes a witch) Its the outfit with the loose pink sweater, white jumper dress and pink skirt underneath and her super cool boots. i found a sweater that is perfect for it and the rest is pretty easy, and something about that outfit always attracted me, i think it was prolly the scene in the ep where she joins in their dance and she seems all happy and flowy and such.
For the future i plan on making one of Inara's outfits, i dont know which one yet, because i love them all! i prolly will decide soon because i am gonna have to save money for it, and plan like crazy since hers are quite detailed and difficult, plus ill need a wig. i may need a wig for river depending on when i do the costume, right now my hair is pretty short, but who knows when ill be wearing this costume for a con.

im so excited about doing firefly cosplay and i hope to see all you other firefly fans sometime at a con! that would be so awesome to get a group together!

Gale
04-20-2004, 07:27 AM
oooh! thats one of my fave. of River's outfits. more recognizable too. what does Kaylee wear in that epp? isnt it her pretty white shirt? i realy like that one...just dont know how i'd make it! XP

felicity869
04-20-2004, 11:50 AM
I havn't had tv/cable for about 3 years now so I've never even heard of firefly. I just looked it up and the girl that plays Kaylee is Jewel Staite! She was my favorite actress as a kid. I wish I saw this show. You think they'll release it on dvd?

Kairi G
04-20-2004, 02:13 PM
it is out on dvd now!
and gale, i think she does wear the white in that ep. i will just have to watch it again i guess! hehe you should too gale! such an awesome show!

felicity869
04-20-2004, 04:16 PM
it is out on dvd now!

See, that's how out of the loop I am :) I think I'm going to have to buy it. How many seasons were there?

Kairi G
04-20-2004, 04:44 PM
only one season, sadly, and they didnt even get to really finish up story, because it was canceled (stupid fox), there are 14 eps in the dvd set and 3 werent ever shown on tv, and the pilot is actually a 2hour ep. its good stuff, i watched every ep in a row the nite i got my set, and i was a happy happy girl!

Gale
04-20-2004, 09:08 PM
sadly, though sience fiction has an insanely loyal fan base, it also has a very selective audiance >.< i definatly suggest it if you're into sci fi though.

kari- to tell the truth, i just want to get a bunch of jump suits and do a bunch of kaylee costumes...maybe all of them! lol

also...it's been killing me trying to figure out what else Alan Tudyk was in...and i finally figured it out: A Knight's Tale! another of my favies =P

murmur
04-20-2004, 10:32 PM
Unfortunately, FOX gave Firefly a bad (Friday) time slot, so it just didn't get watched.... but I've heard that all the main actors from the series are signed on for the movie coming out next year, so that's good news. :)

And someday I'm gonna have to make Kaylee's big pink dress from Shindig...I love that thing.

DeadLegato
04-21-2004, 12:30 AM
So... only one other person wants to attempt the dress from Shindig? I have a pink dress that actually kind of looks like it, or would with massive hoops under it... but... I'm too anal about costume perfection to wear an outfit that just "kind of looks like it."

I'd like to see it if anyone does try it. Of course, they'd need a Captain tightpants to go with it.

Kairi G
04-21-2004, 04:05 PM
i love that dress, it is so puffy! ruffles are so fun. i bet if i made it i could make my friend james be mal, so i could have a capn. tightpants! oh i love that episode! i prolly wouldnt make the layer cake dress tho, way to lazy to make all the ruffles, let alone suffer wearing that giant skirt all day. its so cute tho!

Gale
04-22-2004, 04:58 PM
while the shindig dress is cute, i could never wear it. i had enough trouble with my bustle durring roleplaying last summer, i'd get fed up with the hoop skirt way too fast. i would like to see pictures if someone else ever attempst it though!

Kairi G
04-22-2004, 07:17 PM
yeah, its definatly cute, but i think i would die trying to wear it! its so big, and i would definatly get myself stuck in doors and stuff, or try to sit down and end up falling over or something, it would be pretty funny tho.

Cherry
04-26-2004, 12:22 AM
*Waves arms frantically!* I am doing Mal sometime in the next two months. I haven't decided what con to wear it at yet but.... AHH! ^_^ Firefly cosplay good! My friends are going as Jayne and Simon, too!

Gale
04-26-2004, 10:07 AM
ah! cool...what con? not that there'd be a chance i could make it...but it would be so cool to get together and have a big group. if both Kari & i could come that'd make a group of 5! lol, that'd be great....and Kari & i could be clinging to your friend who's Simon XD (long as he didnt say anything to mildly insult me, or didnt try to stick Kari with needles, lol)

Kairi G
04-26-2004, 03:35 PM
hehe that would be awesome! i definatly think that Firefly cosplay really would be best in groups, more of a chance of being recognized! and that would be fun. Im trying to get my friends all hooked on it (and sadly so far only one of them is, and hes been in on it since the start) but i will prevail!!!! and then make them all cosplay!!!!!!! YAY!!!! ok i think i need to calm down. hehe thats so awesome, i cant wait to see your costumes!

Venardhi
04-27-2004, 06:25 AM
With the Firefly movie 'Serenity' going in front of cameras next month (woo woo) I've been slowly putting together a Mal costume. The pants will likely need to be scratch-made, as the pants they used in the first episode (and based his later pairs on) are very rare to come by. But I have a shirt that is fairly close except for breast pockets. Suspenders are another problem as both pairs seem to be heavily modified from their original form. Boots are fairly generic, but will probably need some customization work aswell. And the jacket was made specially for Mutant Enemy for the show, so that too will need to be special ordered/made. . . Damn my attention to detail. . . I need a job.

In any case. I also have a (90% or so) accurate Blue Sun t-shirt that I can turn into a Jayne costume if I can find the right pants and shoes to go with it. I beleive I also provided the one that someone mentioned earlier that they had.

Glad to know there are so many browncoats among us, spread the word, my tally is up to 34 conversions.

- Devin

Rinkun
04-27-2004, 10:13 AM
:D yay! more Firefly fans!

i'm trying to pull together Kaylee's outfit from the Pilot when she sits outside Serenity getting passengers together...dunno which con, hopefully for Dragon*con

Kairi G
04-27-2004, 03:55 PM
ill definatly will go in costume for the movie when it finally does come out. im so excited about the movie! i really wanna get more done on my River, and then Inara costumes, but sadly im out of money now. River will prolly get finished up this summer tho, who knows what con ill use it for.

Gale
04-28-2004, 03:01 PM
ooh! i love her outfit from the pilot too! i just dont know where in the 'verse (lol, been reading too many Firefly rpgs) i could find something like that jacket, and i dont know that i'd be up to making one. i remember when my mom made my kimono for me she told me that type of fabric can be difficult to sew with. i do, actually, have a red version of it though! lol

also, seems i've hooked my school's tech guy onto the show! i lent him the first DVD and after the part in "The Train Job" when Mal kicks Niska's toady into the engine he was sold. i've also got 2 friends who are pretty into it, although i'm not sure if i could get both of them to cosplay. one would dress as river easilly, but i think the other would be hard....maybe i can get her to do a crosseplay of Mal...i'm used to calling her captain from our little "pirate" group anyway! lol

and on what Venardhi said, i am very excited to find so many other fans here! who knew a simple quote in a sig could lead to all this? lol!

Kairi G
04-28-2004, 03:42 PM
hehe yeah i know what you mean! its great to finally find more people to talk to about this show, since i only have one other friend whose seen it! and i really hope i can get together with some of you sometime for some good ol firefly cosplay!

CosplayerGabi
04-29-2004, 03:16 AM
Wootness, It's Firefly fans. The guy and I were watching his DVDs tonight and I said I wouldn't mind being Zoe. She dresses like Mal in the second pilot ep. He says he wants to be Wash, though I think Mal would suit him better. I'm game if there was to be a group! I'll be the black girl!

"Have you ever been with a warrior woman?" - Wash Warren on his wife Zoe

Gab

bunnybeth
04-29-2004, 03:28 PM
Firefly movie? Ooooo... I knew Joss Weden had to be up to something other than comic writing. (Although I'm still hoping for a Fray movie!) I missed so many episodes of Firefly due to that horrible Friday time slot, I really need to get that box set. When I saw the title of this thread I immediately thought of Kaylee's big pink Shindig dress... that would be something to wear, but I doubt I could ever make it. ;)

while the shindig dress is cute, i could never wear it. i had enough trouble with my bustle durring roleplaying last summer, i'd get fed up with the hoop skirt way too fast. i would like to see pictures if someone else ever attempst it though!

I'm not a big fan of the hoop skirt. Hoop skirt in a car... oh, bad combination!

Kairi G
04-29-2004, 06:00 PM
oooohhhhhh i have an Inara outfit, that i may attempt (if i get money). Her gold dress at the beginning of "The Message" is just soooooo beautiful! i want it really badly, but there are others of hers i want too, so ill see.

Gale
04-29-2004, 09:26 PM
Ooooo... I knew Joss Weden had to be up to something other than comic writing.

lol, i'm getting a copy from my boss. he's really cool like that. i lent him my first disk of firefly, and he's obsessed! lol...gotta love geek culture =P

Cherry
04-30-2004, 03:58 PM
Well is anyone here going to A-Kon, ComicCon, or AnimeFest? Or Maybe Oni-Con? :D I wanna get pictures with you guys. <3.. Mal rocks.

Glad to see someone else is cosplaying him. Mine's just going to be for fun, though. Of course it'll be accurate, but let's face it, not much time is gonna be spent on Mal. xD He's got easy costumes, darn it!

Gale
05-01-2004, 02:11 PM
sadly, the only con i'll be at this year is Connecticon...maybe if i'm lucky i can go to another one this summer, but it's almost too late to plan for that now. next year i'll be at AB...that's when Kari & i plan to meet up for a firefly duo (if not group).

Kairi G
05-01-2004, 02:18 PM
ill be at otakon, but prolly wont have a firefly costume by then, and i may go to a con in the fall. i dont know tho. oh sigh

Ginny
05-10-2004, 05:49 PM
We'll have a Mal, Simon, River (me), and maybe a Jayne at D*C. And maybe even a Zoe and Wash if I can talk some more people into going. Let me know if anyone is going!

Kairi G
05-10-2004, 08:12 PM
oh G-chan.. which river costume are you making? my boyfriend keeps trying to find a way for me to go to that one, but i doubt ill have the money to make the trip. But if i can go, i might be able to do my Inara then, so we wouldnt have two Rivers! i hope i can go, but its not looking likely. oh sigh.....id love to go!

Ginny
05-10-2004, 08:14 PM
I was thinking her pink skirt and red sweater with boots (from the same episode as your quote ^_^) but I'm not sure yet. But I can definately say I'm not doing naked River :P

Kairi G
05-10-2004, 08:19 PM
yea thats the River costume im planning, its definatly my favorite, and i already found the perfect sweater for it. and its a simple dress, so it wont be difficult or expensive. i still havent decided on the Inara costume i want to do, but if i could go, i would definatly try to do Inara for your group!

Gale
05-10-2004, 09:22 PM
me too. If I can get down to Georgia I would go as the Kaylee for your group. like I said, my friend lives in Atlanta and I almost went to D*C with him last year. If I can go, I most definatly will!

Now we just need a Simon! I mean, I need someone to glomp! lol

*is very excited about the recent events of the Firefly Sock Puppet RPG...Simon & Kaylee finally kissed!*

Ginny
05-10-2004, 09:37 PM
We will have a Simon ^__^ But he's my boyfriend so minimal glomping. I can't really glomp cause I'll be dressed as his sister O__o We'll also have a Mal and Jayne.

Kairi G
05-10-2004, 09:39 PM
hehe, well G-chan, River was pretty clingy at times, so you can prolly pull it off! :P

Gale
05-10-2004, 09:44 PM
aww...*big kaylee frown face* now that ain't no fun! I'm just gunna have to find me my own Simon then!

but, honestly, that would be SO great if we could get the whole cast...any one know where we can find a Book? (this is provided both Kaylle and I can go >.<)

Kairi G
05-10-2004, 09:54 PM
im sure we can find somebody to be book, and if all else fails, we use some bronzer on my dad! hes a pastor, so he can do the part. Book is also his favorite character, its too bad tho, he usually doesnt do cons with us, thats my moms thing really (she even cosplays with us).

Gale
05-16-2004, 05:36 PM
omg, that would be so funny! Now if only there were a posibility that my mom would ever let me go....

also! this isn't exactly cosplay, but on Gaia I recently got a new username, and I've been puting together an outfit so that my avvie looks like Kaylee. what do you think?

http://ian.gaiaonline.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=123310

Kairi G
05-16-2004, 05:39 PM
hehe it does look like her!
oh and its an almost definate no on going to Dragon*Con, i mentioned it and my parents just sorta laughed at me. oh sigh

Cherry
05-17-2004, 07:07 PM
Is anyone doing Firefly cosplay coming to Oni-Con or AnimeFEST?

Or Ani-Magic?

Kairi G
05-17-2004, 08:04 PM
not likely unfortunatly, im quite low on moneys, goin to cons is getting hard for me :(

Gale
05-17-2004, 09:46 PM
oh and its an almost definate no on going to Dragon*Con, i mentioned it and my parents just sorta laughed at me. oh sigh

aww...thats too bad. I haven't asked mine yet, but I'm pretty sure they'll say no too. :bigcry: it would have been so much fun to go--and with a complete group too!

S3RAS
05-18-2004, 09:37 PM
FIREFLY FANS! <3 I'm so happy there's Firefly fans on here. I definately want to make a River costume. She's the best. Though I absolutely ADORE Mal. I want to see pictures of all your costumes when you finish them!

Gale
05-19-2004, 11:33 AM
you know...I think I want to do a Saffron cosplay sometime. right now my hair is the perfect length, and I think her costumes are pretty easy. I'm sure I could find somewhere on campus that would be a good photo location ;)

anyone know where I can find some good pictures? Its such a hassle to find a DVD player to review my DVD's >.<

Gale
06-09-2004, 11:27 AM
well...I got a few pictures of my Safron outfit. its not very good, but I'll definatly be posting the pics as soon as the film is developed. now...just to convince my mom to drive me to the salvation army store to get a jumpsuit. actually, the more I think about it, the more I really like the idea of wearing one regularly. :rolleyes: I need a new article of clothing to identify me by. my red gap sweatshirt is getting boring...

Kairi G
06-09-2004, 08:03 PM
oh i cant wait to see it!

Gale
06-10-2004, 07:44 PM
yah...just have to hope we get a cd with the photos...we just wiped and updated the computer...and either lost a disk for the scanner driver, or the scanner itself isnt compatible with windows xp. >.< hopefully, its the former and we'll find the disk...but you never know

also! before I forget! I just got word that Serenity will open on April 22, 2005 (2 days after my b-day!) get psyched!! And drag people to see it! And see it a bunch of times! If this movie is a success, there will be more to come!!!!

Kairi G
06-10-2004, 07:48 PM
yay yay yay! im so excited bout the movie, im definatly goin in costume if ican! prolly inara if i can get the money together!

Gale
06-10-2004, 07:58 PM
lol, I am most definatly wearing a jumpsuit to that! LOL....and all the people who never knew about Firefly will just look in awe wondering how all those crazy kids knew how the characters dressed beforehand.....

Kairi G
06-10-2004, 10:19 PM
yea i thought about that, it would be cool if some of us could get together for the movie, so were not lonely in our costumes. hmmmm maybe we can work that out gale, isnt that close to anime boston 05 weekend, i think it might be, but like we could meet up or something. where is it your from again, i know your pretty close to me. i could prolly meet ya for it! then we wouldnt be alone!

Gale
06-13-2004, 08:36 PM
oooh! That might work...I think AB is one or two weekends after that! And by then I (well, we! I noticed your b-day is near mine) will be 18, so maybe my mom will stop tagging after me everywhere by then...

I'm from southeastern CT, but I go to school in northwestern MA.

Kairi G
06-13-2004, 08:48 PM
ah cool stuff, i guess we will just have to see! im so excited!

Gale
06-27-2004, 05:16 PM
this is kinda off topic, but...

today I went sailboat racing ('cause that's what I do all summer...and yep, we won :bigtu: ) and it was really windy and choppy and such, so I had to wear my fouls (well, the pants at least...should have worn the jacket, but I did't bother...)

anyway, Firefly has been on my brain WAY too much lately, so while off the boat I've been wearing the straps down with the waist tied tight, just like Kaylee does with her jumpsuits! :thumbsup: I'm such a looser.....

Kairi G
06-28-2004, 08:28 AM
hehe your sillys.....
yea so i did decide on which of inara's dresses i wanna make. its the gold one from "The Message". the tough thing about this dress is going to be finding the right fabrics for it. i want to try to get as accurate as possible with it, so im going to spend a fair amount of time on this one, searching for materials and stuff, hopefully when i go down to NYC this summer ill be able to find something. the other difficult part that i can see is getting it to fit properly, but i have seen several patterns that are similar that i could possibly alter.
ooooohhhhh im so excited about this dress! :)

Gale
06-29-2004, 04:43 PM
wow, good luck with that one! it looks chalanging, but it will be really nice when you're done with it =)

and guess what!! I found a shirt at JC Penny's yesterday that is EXACTLY (well, almost) like Kaylee's shirt in OiS! Now I just need some coveralls....

another thing...I wish I looked more like River XP I was watching Firefly lots this past weekend, and it turns out I have most of her outfit from OiS also! look here (http://firefly.deadly-nightshade.net/images/objectsinspace/index.php?p=objects070.jpg&pg=1) at the white, loose-weave thing she has on over her dress. I have something just like it! Now if only I had a nice pink dress like that...

Kairi G
06-29-2004, 11:00 PM
oh thats lovely! and i just wanna say, isnt that like the best site for firefly ref pics? i found it the other day when lookin for my Inara pics, and fell in love with the site. i sent the person who runs it a nice email about how much i loved the site and how helpful it was! here is the site for those of you lookin for pics!
http://firefly.deadly-nightshade.net/index.php

hehe......Gale, i guess we just own this thread :cheers: , tis been over a month since anyone but us has been here! We gotta get more firefly fans on here! :p

JacksUsername
07-06-2004, 02:45 AM
*raises hand enthusiastically*

OH! firefly fan over here :-P didn't even realize there was a thread for Firefly costume over here, I've been posting in the Anime Boston firefly thread a little bit, ^_^ just saw this while looking at the Darkwing Duck thread.

Wow, that site is amazing....like super amazing. I can't believe all the screen caps they have. thanks so much, now there'll be no question of details on Simon and Mal costumes :-P

Kairi G
07-06-2004, 08:31 AM
yea thats what so great about that site, it makes costuming so so much easier! Im excited cuz i go to nyc next week and im gonna get to go to the fabric stores in the fashion district to look for fabric for Inara! yay! i hope i can find something i can afford! ><

JacksUsername
07-08-2004, 11:22 PM
ou! good luck with the fabric search. Does anyone who's posted have any costumes from the series done?

I thought I had lucked out and found some boots like Mals....they match the look, but they're black and dont' have the brownish tint to them. But that's something that could be negotiated easily. And I have some really cool Simon shoes that look all fancy like and even kind've go up towards the toes like a lot of the shoes he wears do.

I'm gonna start working on a Simon vest after Otakon I think. I like the ones that have the two colors...one side like a gold red and then the other black.

Once again, good luck with the fabric search ^_^

Kairi G
07-09-2004, 11:50 AM
Unfortunatly i dont have any finished yet. It wont take me long to do my River costume, ive just been lazy. hopefully after Otakon i will be able to do more costume work, im going away for a bunch of time to NYC to go to the summer classes at FIT so im leaving tomorrow, and i have so much still to do on my umi costume, so i doubt River will get done in time for Otakon. but maybe...... prolly not tho.

Gale
07-18-2004, 01:45 PM
well...I talked to JacksUsername last night at CTcon and he said he's interested...

in any case...look at this picture (http://img68.photobucket.com/albums/v206/gale583/IMG_0277.jpg)!!! I got a shirt thats just like kaylees! the one I was looking for too!! :bigtu:

Kairi G
07-19-2004, 11:56 AM
we should definatly do something together for the movie next spring.
ive been searching for fabric to make the Inara dress. and i found great stuff, but there was only a yard and a half left!!!! >< so im still looking. hopfully ill be able to find something while im here in nyc.

oh and that shirt does look great! lucky you found it!

also, would you be interested in coming over here in sept. for the cosplay picnic we are planning. maybe we could spread some firefly love! if you're interested go to the thread in my sig.

Gale
07-20-2004, 12:29 PM
hmm...maybe, but I'll be in school then, and my mom might not be too thrilled about it, but I'll chekc it out later and see. (right now I have to go shopping)

also, I got some firefly cosplay pictures up in my gallery! its not much, but its more than anyone else here has! ^^;

Oselle
07-20-2004, 03:38 PM
THANK YOU for posting that website - I've been dying for Firefly screencaps!

I'm currently debating between a couple of Inara dresses for a Firefly costume. One is from the Jaynestown episode, the other from The Message. I'm leaning towards the Jaynestown dress at the moment, but they both have such interesting designs and rich fabrics that it's going to be a tough decision. I'd also like to pull together a Kaylee outfit one of these days, because she's so incredibly cute that it makes my brain hurt.

Have I mentioned that I love that show, am greatly looking forward to the movie, and am thrilled that people are starting to make the costumes? :jjacks:

Kairi G
07-20-2004, 04:05 PM
im making the gold dress from the Message, i do like hers in Jaynestown too, its very nice. and sadly i still havent found the gold, argh i really wish there had been enough of the stuff i did find :(

JacksUsername
07-25-2004, 11:05 PM
*cheers for another firefly fan*

I'm hoping I can find some people to cosplay with when the movie hits theatres, my friend said he might do Wash, but he's iffy on it, and and there's some talk on the green Firefly boards about a New England shindig, but nothing too specific yet.

yay for cosutmes from Jaynestown ep, one of my favs. For a while on my AIM account, whenever someone exited, I had the the beginning of the Jayne song play....so it would just go " Jaaaaaaayne" , but, yeah, that lasted like two days before it like drove me crazy. I found some a really cool pattern for the type of suspenders that Mal wears, plus some awesome fabric for Simon's vest. I have yet to purchase both.

Oselle
07-28-2004, 10:31 AM
I'd love to get a Toronto-area shindig together for the movie premiere! Though there will be no stabbings allowed. (*snicker* "yeah, I know, it was just funny. Ow.")

Now, who can I coerce into being the Mal to my Inara? Though a Wash is also essential, complete with plastic dinosaurs.

Gale
07-30-2004, 10:33 AM
I found some a really cool pattern for the type of suspenders that Mal wears, plus some awesome fabric for Simon's vest. I have yet to purchase both.

well, you'd make both a good mal and a good simon...but I can see you more as mal, actually....*shrugs*

ZiggyB
07-30-2004, 03:56 PM
Hey all, I hope you don't mind me spamming this thread. ;-)

Anyway, I just came back from Comic Con in which the ENTIRE cast of Firefly was there promoting the new Serenity movie!

It's basically continuation from the series. They even showed a fantastic trailer for it!

Anyway, I found some pictures online from the event:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=comiccon_serenity

I will also have my own up in a few days.

Anyway, just wanted to share! I'm really happy people are cosplaying from Firefly! X-D

Gale
07-31-2004, 10:36 AM
=P I'm jelous....wish I could have gone to that con....

GaijinTenshi
08-01-2004, 07:20 PM
Dont know if these have been posted yet, but here's some helpful Firefly links.

http://www.fireflyfans.net/
This is the firefly fan site. It contains fanfics, photos, stories, poetry and even a Serenity image for your telephone!

http://browncoats.com/
Kinda incomplete, but a good site nonetheless.

http://www.browncoatball.com
The website for the yearly Browncoat Ball (Con of sorts) hosted in Chicago, IL. (sept 17-19 this year).

I've been a fan for a while now. I saw 2 eps during the orig. airing on Fox, then lost track of them. As soon as I saw the DVD box set, I snatched it up.

Anywho, hope the links are helpful.

Take care all.

Blake

Kairi G
08-03-2004, 08:30 AM
oh my god, they were there????????? *cries* i wish i could have gone *cries more*

oh and i wish i could go to chicago for the ball, that sounds like tons of fun. maybe if they do it again next year i can go, but this year i just dont have enough money.

and now for an Inara update.....
i found the perfect fabric when i was in NYC but unfortunatly it was $82 a yard, yes, $82 a yard !!!!!!!!!!!! so if i can get about 400 some dollars together just for the fabric, ill use that.............hahahaha..not likely.

so im still looking.....if all else fails i could prolly convince my mom to help me embroider the design, since ive never really done that before.

JacksUsername
08-07-2004, 06:29 PM
yeah, all those sites mentioned are all great, especially fireflyfan.net....they have great coverage for all things firefly.

OMG, 82 dollars a yard O_____O

that's...that's scary...must be amazing material though, companion's get good wages >_<.

Fatwetdog
08-07-2004, 08:06 PM
http://www.browncoatball.com
The website for the yearly Browncoat Ball (Con of sorts) hosted in Chicago, IL. (sept 17-19 this year).

The 18th huh? Hmmm... I wonder if it's worth spending another week with my parents. (I get in from Japan on the 10th, landing in Chicago where my family lives.) My SO doesn't need to be back in SF to teach until the 20th... I wonder if we could swing it...

FWD - watching Firefly right now.

Kairi G
08-07-2004, 11:28 PM
yeah, all those sites mentioned are all great, especially fireflyfan.net....they have great coverage for all things firefly.

OMG, 82 dollars a yard O_____O

that's...that's scary...must be amazing material though, companion's get good wages >_<.
oh it is amazing fabric.... i just wish i could afford to work with something so lovely! pure silk chinese brocade.......mmmmmmmmm if only i could afford it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh sigh.....maybe ill run into some money...... if i do, im so getting that fabric!

Gale
08-13-2004, 11:17 AM
yikes....good luck! I still havent gotten down to the local salvation army store to see what they have for coveralls, but I was recently reminded how my friend has a blue chinese shirt that looks a lot like Kaylee's!

I also found a cool store in the shopping village on the other side of town that has all sorts of chinese stuff, like jewlry and swords and statues, and even some nice cloths. they had a blue jacket there too, but the design on it was just in blue, except for a big picture embroidered on the back. it's only $33 so if I get a chance I'll go back and buy it, even though its not quite perfect.

I did buy a cute chinese coin, though, that I think is like something Kaylee wears on a necklace sometimes. *checks some screencaps* ok, so maybe it doesn't look quite like any of the charms she wears on her necklaces...but its close... >.< lol and I like it! =) so thats all that matters....but I still want a necklace like one of hers...

Kairi G
08-13-2004, 11:54 AM
fun stuff Gale, im sure the shirt is super, and prolly as accurate as your gonna get.

Kairi G
08-20-2004, 09:05 AM
Good News everyone!
I got fabric for my inara dress!!!!! im so happy! It was only $3 a yard cuz it was on clearance at joanns!! Im so happy!!!!!!!!! its gonna be very very nice!

Kairi G
08-28-2004, 09:15 PM
Excitement! there is a girl on cosplaylab who just posted a Kaylee costume, shes also planning to make a zoe costume too. im just happy to see people with firefly costumes! it was ArtemisHi on cosplaylab. go lookie guys!

JacksUsername
08-29-2004, 08:52 AM
Excitement! there is a girl on cosplaylab who just posted a Kaylee costume, shes also planning to make a zoe costume too. im just happy to see people with firefly costumes! it was ArtemisHi on cosplaylab. go lookie guys!

ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

cool, i can't wait for her to finish her zoe costume.

w00t, got another one of my friends to watch the show and now he's really into it ^_^

Gale
08-31-2004, 10:40 AM
I've found firefly sites that post pictures of people in costume. Its really cool that it's starting to catch on so much! although, the more I think about it, the more it doesn't seem practicle for me to dress as Kaylee to Anime Boston...For one thing, it's an anime con, not a multi-genera one...and also, I have lots of different costumes I want to make/fix up/wear there! If I can manage to get my Inu Yasha idea to work, that may be the only con I can do it at (whereas I'll take one of my friends living at a neary boarding school and who will only be here durring the schoo year and stick him in an Inu Yasha costume while my mom is dressed as Kaede...pluss I don't want to drag my mom to CTcon next year if I dont have to). If it works out, I'll do it, but I'm not so sure, especially if my mom is there. Even if I am over 18 then, she still needs to drive me there >.<;;; lol ('cause I don't wanna get lost in Boston alone and I won't have a car of my own in Massachusets, and I don't like driving on the highway)

In any case, I will still make my Kaylee costume...I just dont know if I'll be debuting it at AB or not....

Gale
08-31-2004, 11:03 AM
uggg...but now that I think of it more, I really want to dress as Kaylee with you guys! but then were do I wear my revamped songstress yuna costume (and whats more, when do I fix it o.o;; gah....) oh well, I'll figure it out somehow....maybe I can bring it and change just to get a picture with you guys then change back into another of my 2 costumes....

Kairi G
08-31-2004, 12:36 PM
hehe thats the same difficulty im having with Inara..... i really dont know yet if im gonna bring it to AB.... and wow, i have so many projects for next spring... (im doing a Leia costume for the starwars premiere as well!) Maybe we should have some sort of party before the premiere of hte movie!!! well at least for those of us here in the NE. maybe we could work something out.... i know several people who would love to have some sorta get together!

JacksUsername
09-14-2004, 10:31 AM
hmmm...., yeah, I was wondering how well the costumes would go over at an anime con, but I'm indifferent either way, i just wanna dress up :-P

A NE shindig would be amazing for the movie, or maybe we can all just head over to a theatre and have another viewing with all the firefly fans going to AB

and if anyone wants, i was thinking of doing a shindig costume for the rave...it would be easier to fit in with a costume there, and you can kind've take liberties with the cotsume...

Kairi G
09-14-2004, 03:00 PM
oh i like the idea of getting together at AB, that would be awesome! we should so do that!

Gale
09-15-2004, 03:57 PM
everyone over at the firefly sock puppet theater is trying to figure out a shindig for sometime, but we decided its probably better to wait until the DVD's out. if we do something it looks like it will be in D.C. but that'd also sort of be socks only, I think...

I do really like the idea of having a NE shindig, but its kind of getting late to plan one (unless its majorly unoficial...like at someone's house or something...) and besides, I probably couldn't go....although I would be 18 by then....but there's still school to work around...>.< ugg.... we'll see...

JacksUsername
09-16-2004, 12:45 PM
they're trying to get something together over at the New England Firefly Yahoo group....they were actually thinking of going for a gathering on the second weekend of release to help the numbers after the first initital amount of fans go.

and as long as they don't change the release date, that would actually land on the weekend of Anime boston!! They were talking about going to see it at the AMC fenway theatre which is about a 20-30 minute walk from Hynnes Convention Center...

Sounds really cool, and AMC Fenway has 2 of the largest screens in the country, non-IMAX...so it'd be cool if we could all go out in costume for some food and a movie, and meet some more fans.

Tell me what ya think, and here's the NE fansite.

http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/NE_Browncoats/

Kairi G
09-17-2004, 11:03 AM
oh that seems really cool! we should do that. im sure we could prolly organize a trip over there!

JacksUsername
09-19-2004, 07:18 PM
ack! hopefully they won't be seeing it in during the masquerade!

Kairi G
09-21-2004, 02:27 PM
yea, maybe it will be friday tho........ hopefully... i mean if its not we could still all go on friday nite as a group. btw my mom and my freind are all excited about do this as a group!

JacksUsername
09-22-2004, 11:22 AM
cool!! are they going in costume too?? yeah, friday or saturday is good for me, we'll just play it by ear.

i still haven't done anything *kicks himself* gotta get off meh lazy butt and get going, especially if i want to make a Shindig inspired costume too.

Oselle
09-22-2004, 07:40 PM
Wahh! Sounds like you guys will have a great time. Wish I could find people similarly inspired in my neck of the woods. ^_^

My progress on Jaynestown Inara: nil. But I decided on it, so that's the first step! Several other projects to knock out first.

JacksUsername
09-23-2004, 12:27 PM
cool...when do you think you'll start to work on the Inara costume, Oselle?

Oselle
09-23-2004, 04:00 PM
More than likely after Christmas. I'm aiming to make Franky from SkyCaptain (etc.) for Halloween/Con*Cept, and I'd also like to fix up my Smaug ensemble for Con*Cept. Since that falls mid-November, I'll probably be burned out on costume-making as well as just plain busy with life stuff until January.

Though since I'll be heading to the fashion district in Toronto to look for Franky fabric, I will definitely be scouting for Inara as well.

Question for those that know the Jaynestown Inara: how would you approach the bodice? Some of the options I've come up with include painting the blue design on freehand, stenciling it, doing a sheer overlay using a textured fabric... I mean, in theory, I would find a rich red fabric with a complex dark blue damask pattern. But communism also works, in theory. Wishful thinking won't make the perfect fabric exist/be affordable!

Kairi G
09-24-2004, 09:33 PM
got any pics on hand of that one....? I cant remember which outfit she wears in Jaynestown?
about my Inara costume... I saw some fabric tonite at JoAnns that would be better than what i have already.. and with my employee discount there i think ill get some after i get my first paycheck from em! I love working there!

Oselle
09-25-2004, 05:05 PM
got any pics on hand of that one....? I cant remember which outfit she wears in Jaynestown?
about my Inara costume... I saw some fabric tonite at JoAnns that would be better than what i have already.. and with my employee discount there i think ill get some after i get my first paycheck from em! I love working there!

Ooooh...one of my best friends is planning on doing the same Inara dress as you, and she hasn't found suitable fabric yet. Perhaps we could work out a deal of some kind?

Some pictures from Jaynetown are attached. I'm gleefully anticipating the next big members sale at Fabricland, so I can purchase large quantities of wine-coloured bridal chiffon. *droool*

Kairi G
09-25-2004, 09:16 PM
The fabric i want to get is 14.99 a yard at Jo Anns its a Gold Brocade in their "evening Inspirations" collection. I am probably going to get about 6 yards. If you have a JoAnns near you you might be able to find it or they could order it for you. Or maybe i could figure out how much it would cost, and your friend could send me money and ill get the fabric with my discount. Let me know if you want to figure something out. id have to add a little for shipping tho. If you have a JoAnns id check there first.

Oselle
09-26-2004, 08:04 AM
I'm pretty certain Joanns is an American franchise...I don't even think I've seen one in Toronto, let alone in the places any of us live!

But I'll let her know that it's an option, and that she should at least check out the store online. If she can't find anything, I'll get back to you.

But *erk!* that's expensive fabric! I'm more of a budget seamstress myself, mostly out of need (I've been a uni student for the last 6 years). I have splurged on various things though, so I understand. ^_^

Kairi G
09-26-2004, 10:18 PM
yea, it would be an expensive purchase, even with my discount. thats why its a big IF , ill have to see if i get the money saved up. but everyday, i see it there...... i want it sooooooo bad!!!

Kairi G
10-08-2004, 10:39 PM
whooo hooo!! guess what what on sale for 40% off! I just bought myself new Inara Fabric, It ended up being about $60 of fabric for the two golds needed, and i still have yet to get the reddish brown chiffon, but I got such an amazing deal on my fabric witht he 40% and my 15% employee discount. a purchase thatwas originally well over a hundred dollars cost me only about $65. YAY!!!! however i am still being picky to the max about the red-brown chiffon stuff...

Also i have resolved to make the necklace she wears with that outfit, i was studying a necklace that i have that is similar and i think that with the proper findings and chains and with my new jewelry pliars and such that i will be able to make the necklace, but i was looking at the beads i want, and its gonna be massively expensive to get the materials... oh sigh.

Oselle
10-09-2004, 11:13 PM
I've been browsing the Joanns website, and I am somewhat irritated to have discovered that they won't ship to Canada. *pouts* I really wanted some of the ultra-cheep fake silk! >_<

I haven't had any luck yet on my own hunt for Inara fabric...I think I've resolved to get something nice like a dupioni, and then paint on the blue design. This is somewhat scary, as I am NOT an artist. Paint frightens me, in fact. But I just don't think the right fabric exists. I'd love to know what the original costume artists used...

Kairi G
10-09-2004, 11:18 PM
could you embroider the design maybe? it would be more controled than painting it.

Oselle
10-10-2004, 07:24 AM
could you embroider the design maybe? it would be more controled than painting it.

I could try...but I'm not so confident with my embroidery skills, never having done any! (Though I'll be attempting to embroider Frankie's emblems for Halloween, if I have time).

But even then, I'll probably have to chalk the designs on...might as well use fabric paint, if I'm going to do that. >_<

Gale
10-10-2004, 10:14 AM
Tell me what ya think, and here's the NE fansite.

I just checked into that, and requested to join it....and it looks like the mod is one of the members of the Firefly Sock Puppet Theater! XD it's a small internet after all....

Kairi G
10-10-2004, 06:53 PM
Firefly sock puppet theater...? sounds interesting...

JacksUsername
10-12-2004, 10:53 PM
Firefly sock puppet theater...? sounds interesting...

indeed it does..

cool that you're joining the NE browncoats Gale, you shoudl too Kairi! they're actually doing a good job on planning so far...well they're thinking of stuff and everything.

Kairi G
10-13-2004, 02:45 PM
oh oh how do i join?!?!

JacksUsername
10-13-2004, 05:39 PM

that's the main site, i'm sure there's an option to join amongst the links...you do have to have a yahoo acount though, they're free, so it should only take a few minutes to create one if you don't have one yet. ^_^

i'm wind waker eric on that site, and right now there's only about 13 members....but they're pretty chatty and are planning stuff

good luck!

Kairi G
10-13-2004, 06:19 PM
whoosh i signed up... just waiting to hear back now! yay for firefly!

oh man im in such a mood to start making inara... just no time yet!!!! oh sigh....

JacksUsername
10-14-2004, 12:07 AM
ou, btw, cool new avatars to everyone!!

yeah...i foudn some really good patterns and stuff, its just finding time....its like impossible...plus haloween's coming up, and I have another thing to do for that >_<

what are all of you guys planning for halloween?

Oselle
10-14-2004, 08:21 AM
Oooh, Very Pretty avatar Kairi!

I too am dying to start work on Inara...every time I'm in a fabric store, I have to force myself not to search for the perfect materials. >_<

Jacketc: I'm currently busting my butt for Halloween. I'm making Cpt. Franky Cook (Angelina Jolie's character) from Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow for myself, and I've been asked to make a Green Lantern costume for a friend. Combine that with working full time and adopting a dog within the next week, and I am a busy little angstmuffin. But I love it.

What are you making for Halloween, if I may ask?

Gale
10-14-2004, 10:35 AM
you know, if my Kaylee costume were ready, I might just think about using that for halloween...but I've been really dragging my feet with it. ok, so I'm not, I'm just uber-busy with all this college stuff going on! (i'm sure Kairi knows what I'm talking about) I just need to get my applications done, and then cross my fingers that I get into my first choice (Connecticut College) and then I can start worrying about cosplay again :thumbsup:

I suppose, for Halloween, I'll just be wearing my old Marian Harper costume from Robin Hood last year. or I'll wear Hilton's (another character from RH) costume that I was allowed to keep 'cause my mom made it.

Kairi G
10-14-2004, 05:12 PM
oh man yea...luckily tho i havent had too much yet to do... but im majorly putting off the portfolio work i should be doing....
But then cosplay works for that too! YAY!

Im thinking that after Halloween i will probably start making my Inara dress... at least the corset for it. I still dont have the brown-red chiffon tho... i gotta find some... anyone got any ideas of places online that have chiffon?

oh man... i dont know how my halloween stuff is getting done... im making robin... but im not terribly confident about my pattern... its not working well.. oh sigh......WHY CANT I JUST START INARA!!!!! hehe

JacksUsername
10-15-2004, 11:23 AM
oselle, I wantet to see sky captain really badly, but just haven't had the time though, Jolie's character looked cool though, eye pathces are fun ^_^ good luck!

ack, college stuff *bad memories come back* good luck with that stuff too, everyone. >_<

for halloween, I'm trying to get an Edward Scissorhands costume done...i'm getting off easy though, cause i'm not going to do like the leather ish suit he wears undernesat, i'm just goijng to do the top part and then where the white shirt with supsenders over...but I'm going to make the hands and I've playing around with the scars, makeup and wig for awhile, so its still gonna be labor intensive.

And then....finally, I'm going ot go out and start gettign the stuff I need for Simon and Mal

Gale
10-15-2004, 06:31 PM
haha, my friend is OBSESSED with Edward Scissorhands (well, that and everything and anything related to Johnny Depp)

so, you decided to do both simon & mal? cool...If I ever find a nice pink dress, I could easilly put together River's outfit from OiS (I already have a white, loos-knit long sweater-thing) of course...I don't really look much like River >.< lol

*can't wait for serenity to come out* meh...I dun wanna wait anymore!

Kairi G
10-15-2004, 10:16 PM
oh yea i know... and thinking about my costume only makes me want to see it even more!!!!! I really need to reevaluate my spring costumes tho... i got too much planned.. I may do Inara very soon, and then start on Leia and Faye, then Chii will be like feb-march time period i guess... I really wanna get started on Inara tho... my fabric is tempting me greatly! And also i found a dress that has a top i can make a ruboff pattern for the Inara corset.. so im a happy cosplayer! Yay!

JacksUsername
10-16-2004, 10:55 PM
yeah, simon shouldn't be hard at all, its mal who has some of the more awkward things to make....HOW DO I MAKE HIS PANTS AND NOT MAKE THEM SPLIT???!! lol..i'm going to like re-insure the seam at least three times.

A river costume would rock, Gale, although you do make a really cool Kaylee, if you can pull both off, go for it!!

wow, kairi, you got a full plate...ou, which leia are you doing, I forget if you mentioned before. Go for inara go for inara!! :-P

Kairi G
10-18-2004, 03:03 PM
Hehe Inara is gonna be first.. i already got materials for that.. but as for the leia thing, im making the ceremony gown from the end of the first movie.

Hey has anyone seen a necklace like the one that Inara has in The Message? i have earrings to use... but i cant find a necklace that detailed anywhere.

Oselle
10-19-2004, 12:51 PM
I haven't seen anything like it, but I'll keep my eyes open.

Why not bead it yourself?

Kairi G
10-19-2004, 09:54 PM
I probably will... its just that it is so complex. and i have not ever done beading like that before... but i will prolly get started with some experiments for it soon.

Oselle
10-29-2004, 08:05 AM
Woohoohoohoo!

I have 3 yards of red silk on order (a friend in South Carolina is picking it up for me). So while it's not the biggest start ever for Inara, it's a start nonetheless!

...is it wrong that I'm taking the day off work to try to finish Halloween costumes? o_0

reannaremick
10-29-2004, 08:18 AM
I can't believe I JUST found this thread ^_^;; Anywho, I was Kaylee from Bushwhacked (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=220209) and I also made my friends River outfit from Safe (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=220210) for Dragon Con this year and hung out quite a bit with Jewel (Kaylee), Nathan (Mal), and Adam (Jayne). I'm actually going to be upgrading my Kaylee very soon and doing her little teal jacket and umbrella from Serenity when she meets Book. I found this beautiful teal brocade for 6.99 a yard on sale and lucked out on 99 cent pattern day, so it's been a very reasonable addition to the costume money wise. I'm definitely going to have it done before the movie premiere in April, and I'll post pics as soon as I finish. I'm also going to get a white paper umbrella and hand paint the swirls onto it and distress it myself (there are a few tears and places where paper is missing, etc.) I also PLAN (details are still sketchy) to wear it to the Serenity/Star Fury convention in London the week after the movie releases, where Summer, Jewel, Morena, and Alan are penned down as guests for so far. Anyway, enough from me atm.

Also though - if anyone wants to do Kaylee I made little patches myself out of felt that Jewel really loved so if you want any help or a design to go off of, lemme know!

Oselle
10-29-2004, 10:48 AM
Oi! Welcome Reannaremick! Fabulous costumes. I am also extremely jealous of your encounters with the actors.

Can you provide a little more info on this Serenity/Star Fury convention? It sounds like a blast, and I would LOVE to meet some of the actors, especially Morena and Nathan. Teehee.

reannaremick
10-29-2004, 11:28 AM
Oi! Welcome Reannaremick! Fabulous costumes. I am also extremely jealous of your encounters with the actors.

Can you provide a little more info on this Serenity/Star Fury convention? It sounds like a blast, and I would LOVE to meet some of the actors, especially Morena and Nathan. Teehee.

Thanks, I was fairly pleased with how they both worked out. It really helps Janet looks a TON like River (in my opinion anyway). Yeah every day I look back at my pictures to make sure I really hung out with them. Hehe, I don't believe it my own self.

The link for the con is here: http://www.starfury.co.uk/ they do a lot of mini cons - in fact one starts today (but I don't live in London, heh) which Summer Glau will be at as well as Jonathan M Woodward (who played Tracey on Firefly) and a lot of Buffy/Angel folks as well. The Firefly con itself is in April and 70 pounds (roughly 105 USD - yeeikes). If you click the little "serenity" button it tells you who's coming and how to order a pass. More people will be added, hopefully Nathan and Adam - maybe Joss even.

Kairi G
10-30-2004, 08:29 AM
wow... i wish i could go! but sadly i cannot afford a trip to the UK...

Yea i found a pattern that would be lovely for Inara's outfit in "Trash" but since i am on a never ending quest to find that fabric i went ahead and made the pattern with something different for my halloween costume. so its not inara... but kinda inara-esque...If people are interested.. its was a simplicity costume pattern for like gypsys or something... i could prolly find the number if anyone wants it.

ill have better pics up when my film gets developed... but until then... here is a pic of just the outfit.

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=224403

Oh and i got the perfect thing to start my necklace for the dress from "the message" I found a candleholder that had draping red glass beads on a sorta pewter colored chain.. and the way the beads were strung is easy to take apart and is set up for the most part exactly the way i need it for the necklace.. so all i am realy gonna have to do is attach findings to it! YAYAYAYAY!!!!!! I also mapped out the dress the other day and startd designing patterns... YAYAYAYAYAY!!!!! as you can see, im excited.

reannaremick
10-30-2004, 10:56 AM
Wow, you're costume is gorgeous. Good luck finding the fabric you need to make it more like the one from Trash. I would loooooooooove to do some of Inara's outfits but I tend to stick to Kaylee because *generally* I cosplay people I think I even slightly resemble. And aside from maybe her height I've got nothing on Morena, lol. But you look amazing in that! I've got some serious revamping to do with my Kaylee because I discovered 3 more patches on her coveralls I hadn't noticed before so more handmade patches for me. I hope to start working on the teal jacket in December - I'm doing NaNoWriMo all November so cosplay is kinda going on hold.

Also I'm planning on breaking into armor and more accurate props and I was thinking on making the Lassiter anyway (I'm helping my friend make a Yo-Saff-Bridge costume) so if I can get it done successfully and you want one for your Trash costume I'll make a second!

Gale
10-30-2004, 09:34 PM
Actually, Renna, I bet if you put on a black wig you'd look a lot like Inara...

I did a "just-add-water" type Saffron costume a while back (see gallery)

Kairi, that Halloween costume really does look like something Inara would wear...it really reminds me of one of her outfits specifically too, but maybe its just 'caus its so much like her stuff in general.

oh! and Happy Halloween everyone ;)

Oselle
10-31-2004, 11:00 AM
Happy Halloween!!!

Kairi - your costume actually reminds me more of Nandi from Heart of Gold...it's got the right colours.

Kairi G
10-31-2004, 11:29 AM
ah yea i forgot about that one... it is ... hmmm ill have to watch that one again! I <3 that ep!

JacksUsername
11-01-2004, 02:00 AM
you got to hand around with some of our Big Damn Heroes, Reannaremick???!!!! Ack, I'm so jealous :-P Great costumes too btw, i love the umbrella that Kaylee has, you get to walk around and call people grandpa ^_^ good luck if you attempt the Lassiter...sounds hard

your halloween costume is awesome kairi! most definetly has the firefly feel to it. ^_^

and er, late happy halloween :-P

got my scissorhands done ^_^, if you wanna take a look, its in my gallery: http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=227100

now i really have to crack down and start working on simon and mal >_<

Gale
11-01-2004, 09:52 AM
noice costume, Jack/Eric (I never know what to call you people...lol)

I finally figured out, at the last minute, what to wear! It ended up being sort of a cross between a girl Mal and a white Zoe....My friend's roommate snapped a few pics, so I'll post 'em if I ever get ahold of 'em.

JacksUsername
11-05-2004, 08:52 PM
thx ^_^

hope you get to post some pics of your Malzoe costuem. :-P

JacksUsername
11-09-2004, 11:12 AM
ou! IGN just had a 4 page little feature on Serenity

^_^

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/564/564677p1.html

Kairi G
11-09-2004, 04:30 PM
fun article! im so super excited for this movie!!! yay!!!!!!

TechieCL
11-11-2004, 11:14 AM
Oh, definately have to join this thread.

I'm a HUGE Firefly Fan (though probably pales in comparision to reannaremick). BTW, I can totally back her statement 'bout {Jealous}hanging with Jewel, Adam & Nathan @ Dragon-Con having born first hand witness to it {/Jealous}

Currently, I continue to tweak my first costume: Browncoat Uniform (as seen in the opening of 'Serenity' & 'The Message'). I've done the trousers and red vest. I have a replica G-36 Rifle. The my pride in joy, my helmet. I had a stencil commission of the word: Firefly in Chinese which I used to spraypaint the characters upon it. & thanks to reannaremick, it was signed by Jewel, Adam & Nathan. I hope to get Alan, Summer, & Morenna's on it at Starfury in London (*fingers crossed on those plans*).

The tweaks are: Figuring out how to do the mesh/chainmail sleeves, and what to do with my new helmet (the 'signing helmet' must be protected from the elements...its my...my precious...)

Kairi G
11-11-2004, 03:38 PM
that sounds like lots of fun! by the way... ya goin to Anime Boston?

hmmm we should start a thread over in teh AB forums to plan goin to the movie friday nite. and possibly a costume group!

TechieCL
11-11-2004, 11:51 PM
by the way... ya goin to Anime Boston?

Can't say that I can. Distance and limited budget. The ussual excuses. !^_^
Being in GA, I tend to stay in the area. Starfury in the UK, well that's just a special occasional.

Gale
11-12-2004, 04:37 PM
didn't we try that a while ago? I made one, but it was so inactive it kind of died & was deleated...but, its closer now, so maybe....

Gale
11-12-2004, 04:46 PM
also! Kairi! I remembered what epp. I saw Inara's dress that looks like yours; check it out:

http://still-flying.net/images/promopics/index.php?p=group08.jpg&pg=0
http://still-flying.net/images/objectsinspace/index.php?p=objects136.jpg&pg=2
http://still-flying.net/images/objectsinspace/index.php?p=objects066.jpg&pg=1

they're not very good pics, but if you want to check it out more just watch "Objects in Space"

Kairi G
11-12-2004, 09:59 PM
oh awesome! i totally forgot about that one... i havent watched that ep as much as some of the others! it really is the same design! woo hoo!

Oselle
11-15-2004, 12:31 PM
Found something neat...this weekend at Con*Cept in Montreal, I was looking through some photos from Worldcon 2003 (aka Torcon 3) where I was in the costuming fashion show. There was a girl in a beautiful dress entered in the masquerade, but I had no idea what her costume was from - this weekend when I saw the pics, it clicked. She was shindig-Inara, complete with a standee-Mal!! GAH! I didn't get into Firefly until this year, so of course I wouldn't have known...wish I knew how to get in touch with her to say a very belated well-done.

Some pics are attached, and you can check out the rest of Charles' photos at http://web.ncf.ca/cz857/

Also. Finally finished Franky (for this past weekend, of course), so now I can start work on Jaynestown Inara - especially because I now have most of the fabric! I picked up some red bridal jacquard (with a matte damask pattern) to use for the bodice, I'm going to paint the design on.

Kairi G
11-15-2004, 02:56 PM
oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh
i want a mal cut out!!!!!! but also that dress! its spectacular!!!!!! :) nice to see Firefly cosplayers!

Gale
11-15-2004, 06:00 PM
there's actually a good amount out there; most just don't know what cosplaying is. I think the term "cosplayer" or "cosplaying" is more common in the anime community, but scifi geeks tend to just think of it as simply "wearing a costume"

Oselle
11-15-2004, 06:47 PM
there's actually a good amount out there; most just don't know what cosplaying is. I think the term "cosplayer" or "cosplaying" is more common in the anime community, but scifi geeks tend to just think of it as simply "wearing a costume"

Most of us who actually make a hobby of it call ourselves costumers (and most have been part of the community far longer than "cosplay"). Anime is what got me into costuming, but I haven't made an anime costume in over a year. Besides, geek is the new cool - I have the most fun at scifi/fantasy/lit/media conventions! ^_^

...but that's an entirely off-topic mini-rant. Uhm. Hoorah Firefly!

Kairi G
11-15-2004, 07:24 PM
hehe thats very true... and its the way im seeming to head in... but thats not a bad thing... i almost find these live action and sci-fi stuff to be more challenging and more fun to figure out!

Gale
11-18-2004, 04:15 PM
Besides, geek is the new cool

so, so true!

I was playing around with my grey cargo pants & a grey sweatshirt, and I was pretty amused at how kaylee-esque some of my shirts are. too bad I'll be pretty out of it while I'm home for vacation...I REALLY wanna start my kaylee costume! I've decided (or did I say this already) to make her grey coveralls first (the ones that look like pajamas) and her red shirt that she wears in jaynstown (among others). I really want to make her green coveralls too though. I have shoes that are almost perfect for the outfit she wears in OiS! that and the shirt I bought...but I kind of want to try and make a more accurate one like it too. ARG! There is not enough time in my life for cosplay right now and its really annoying me! >.<

Oselle
11-23-2004, 04:54 PM
I discovered the following on the Canadian Browncoats mailing list today...BUGGER. Ah well, I'm still going ahead with Inara for a con in April (in fact, she's next on my project list now that Frankie is done and a commissioned bridesmaid's dress is underway).

Joss posted the following on
Whedonesque:

Hello, guys, Joss here, using another thread to post an announcement 'cause
he doesn't know how to start a new one.
joss | November 23, 04:55 CET

Are you guys starting to hear that fanfare? Those distant drums? Are you
slapping on your side-arms, pulling on your long brownish-colored coats and
thumbing your crisp new bills in anticipation of the cinematic event of the
year? Well, it's official: on April 22nd you, the true the blue the loyal,
can step right up with the rest of America and WAIT FIVE MORE MONTHS.

Heh. See, sometimes studios shuffle around release dates...

Okay. Don't panic. right now you're panicking. you're thinking, "how could
they do this to me?" But what you SHOULD be thinking is: "How could they do
this to JOSS?". Seriously. That pity is mine and I want it back.

So what happened? Well, nothing terribly original. April got crowded with a
lot of titles aimed at a similar demographic, and the studio decided
September was a clearer corridor for the film to make the kind of impact it
should. This isn't about a lack of confidence in the film -- in fact, they
told me this before they even saw it. And now they have seen it, and unless
they're way better liars than I'm used to, they dug it. Actually, they dug
it pretty large, which is a good sign since there's not a single finished
effect in the film. There's no reworking the end, no reshoots, no "does it
have to be in space?". It's just a marketing issue. Now you'll get to watch
lots of trailers in the summer. And hopefully, by the time it comes out,
other people, people who ain't us, will get a whiff of what we're up to, and
come along too.

I love this movie. I HATE waiting to show it too you. I felt pretty much the
way I imagine you're feeling right now when they told me. But these guys
know what they're doing, and they're trying to protect their investment, not
bury it. So I gotta be a grown-up. The release date is September 30th.
Hopefully it won't change again.

Spread the word. Keep the faith. And gleam the damn cube already.

-j.
joss | November 23, 05:12 CET

Kairi G
11-23-2004, 05:04 PM
*tear* so much for my movie party at AB...

I so sad now... and my mommy will be too... she will have no one to go see it with now since ill be at college by then :(

well ill prolly make Inara anyways for AB and maybe do some promotion! hehe!

TechieCL
11-23-2004, 09:45 PM
*tear* so much for my movie party at AB...

I so sad now... and my mommy will be too... she will have no one to go see it with now since ill be at college by then :(

well ill prolly make Inara anyways for AB and maybe do some promotion! hehe!

That's the spirit, us Firefly Fans (Browncoats) have to look at the positive. As much as I was dismayed at the prospect at 5 more months, I know the extra time to un-newb my cosplaying skills will help pass the time. Cause that "chainmail" sleeves for the Independents uniform still intimidates me.

Kairi G
11-23-2004, 10:36 PM
hey a new friend for the thread! welcome! and excellent words there! there really is nothing bad that can come of it being delayed... except us being sad, but hopefully it will do better in theaters by delaying it.
:)

TechieCL
11-24-2004, 09:27 AM
!^_^ check one page back. I've posted to this thread. But yeah, feeling a lot less rushed for my next version of the "Generic Browncoats Uniform" [The ones worn at the pre-credits portion of "Serenity" & at the Battle of Du-Kang on "The Message]

Don't suppose anyone has good screenshots of those portions; the ones I've found online are too dark to make things out.

Gale
11-24-2004, 10:02 AM
yah, I just found out myself (a friend in the sock puppet theater posted a link to whedonesque in her gj) I'm still bringing my Kaylee costume to AB....not sure if I'll have a chance to wear it, but I'm bringing it in any case.

on the bright side, I'll be in college then and out from under my mom's constant watch. I'll be able to meet up with people to see it a whole lot easier!

speaking of which (a bit OT, but it could help in coordinating stuff), Kairi, where are you applying? my first choice is Connecticut College, 2nd choice is Drew University, and I'm also looking at Wheaton in Massachusets. If we're close enough to each other we could go see the movie together still ;)

Kairi G
11-24-2004, 10:22 PM
wahh sorry... i have totally lost track... thats what i get for doing this all so quick all the time :P
hmmmm ther was an awesome website with screenshots... but i dont have the address saved... i know its on here somplace..

Gale~ im gonna be in NYC no matter what, and me and my mom are already planning on trying to go the opening at a big shiny theater. It would be cool if you could come down!

reannaremick
11-25-2004, 10:17 AM
The website for screenshots you're thinking of is probably http://still-flying.net/

They have awesome screenshots on there as well as mannnnnnnnnnnny other firefly related goodies.

JacksUsername
11-28-2004, 11:14 PM
hey techie CL, always good to see another firefly fan ^_^

hopefully the septmeber release will be ok, and it seems adam baldwin and joss whedon really are backing the studio's decision. but, september...geez....that's so ...so far away.. I'm trying to convert my friends locally to love the show, but htey're so anti sci fi.. ack. :-P

Gale
11-29-2004, 02:10 PM
that seems to be the problem. People are so afraid of afiliating with treckies and guys who's main goal in life is to become fluent in klingon, that they turn away from the entire genera compleatly! its sad, but true, one of Firefly's biggest downfalls/turnoffs is its genera. thing is, its SO different from most sci fi stuff! most people who my friends and I have converted say "well, I would have never watched it when it was on TV, but its actually pretty cool." >.< Gir. Arg.

Kairi G
11-29-2004, 02:21 PM
yea i gotta get more people to watch it cuz that is the prob ive been running into, people see a space ship and assume its some weird sci-fi crazy thing with aliens etc etc (im so glad there are only humans... makes the show much classier)

JacksUsername
11-29-2004, 11:29 PM
yeah, i'm also hoping that the movie will raise its status a litte bit more too,...sci-fi movies are hard to pitch, but they always tend to get a little more tolerance than shows....everyone hears sci-fi tv and they automatically compare everything to star trek.

i got one friend into it now,...unfortunatly he doesn't like cons...he'd make a pretty good Wash too, but he's buyign the dvd for his family for christmas...more fans whoo-hoo!!

Ginny
11-29-2004, 11:33 PM
I will admit I shed some real tears hearing the news I had to wait until September. But it will make it all the more sweeter when it's released.

Gale
11-30-2004, 12:27 PM
QUESTION: I mentioned this in the Anime Boston Firefly group thread, but is anyone interested in planning a skit for Connecticon? its a Sci Fi, Games & Anime con in West Hartford, CT in July. We could do some major advertising for Serenity there, and its a perfect place to get the word out. I know Eric is planning on going, so that gives us Mal (him) & Kaylee (me) and maybe my friend as River. Its a ways off, but the more time we have to plan it the better.

Also, for thos of you who know about my parental issues, chances are I'll be going alone (or at least not with my parents) finally, since I'll be 18 in April, I've been there twice and its only an hour drive, and by then I'll have had more driving experiance so I could drive myself, so we don't have to worry.

Kairi G
11-30-2004, 12:50 PM
i might be able to manage a trip to connecticon... but right now i really havent been making plans past Anime Boston, simply cuz i have no idea what my money and time situation is gonna be like.. oh sigh...

reannaremick
11-30-2004, 05:01 PM
I won't be at Connecticon but if we do the Shindig like we're PLANNING at Dragon Con this year I hope to do Kaylee in the skit for the party - if we get the green light to do the project how we want, I'll start making her ball gown ASAP. God all those ruffles *fingers hurt just thinking about it* Still Jewel's my girl, and I love Kaylee, plus I look nothing like Inara ^_^ . I'm also doing Helen - aka the random blond whore in Heart of Gold who's with Jayne the whole episode - but only if Adam Baldwin returns like he hopes/plans to. Cause I've gotta get a shot of him brushing my hair like he does in Heart of Gold, so cute!

Gale
11-30-2004, 08:38 PM
yah...if you do end up comming, though, I'm pretty sure Saterday admission alone is $20 and the cosplay & skit contests are saterday evening. that is...if everything is generally the same as last year....

and I talked to my friend who might dress as River. She's interested, but she's not the type to count on to keep her plans and is likely to back out by summer. Still, it's a posibility.

reannaremick- omg...that would be great!! I'd like to make Emma's costume...too bad I'm not Asian >.< lol...Lucy (the girl who sings) looks like me though...

TechieCL
11-30-2004, 08:50 PM
To ya'll going to connecticon, remember there's plenty of 'converting' that can be done at cons. Handing out flyers while cosplaying would be a great way to promote the movie. Running a fan table, even better :bigtu:

I ran one for the SouthEastern Browncoats at AWA in my Browncoats Uniform this year. Just something to ponder.

Oselle
11-30-2004, 08:54 PM
Well, it's a bit of a long haul for me from TO... but I'd love to see it, if it comes to fruition!

I think a friend and I *might* take our Inaras to the stage in April at Ad Astra, but by no means is anything set in stone for that. It's a ways away, and plans are always fluid.

Gale
11-30-2004, 09:03 PM
Techie- good idea for the flyers....I was planning on doing lots of fan-promos anyway, but fliers or a fan table will only help.

Jacksusername- weren't you planning on getting a spot in artist's ally? we could put fliers there. I'd feel too pushy to be handing them out all over the con, but if we had a base of operation it might help.

JacksUsername
11-30-2004, 11:37 PM
reannaremick...ou cool idea that you're doing helen's costume ^_^

i'm still not sure what's going on for the Artist Alley...I know Connecticon's like 50 or 100 bucks I forget...and I'm afraid AB would be more. I'm hoping to get one but Anime Boston really hasn't updated their status yet, so I'm on temporary hold for now. If I do get a table though, I'd be glad to set up a half webcomic/ half firefly section... I probalby wont' be at my table all day, but I'll be there for a good chunk of each day.

Oh I guess the same goes for Connecticon too...I lost track which covnention we were tlaking about.

Gale
12-01-2004, 10:01 AM
lol, I was talking about CTcon....Firefly is kind of out of place at AB...but its still worth a try to at least be in costume and inform people that way.

TechieCL
12-01-2004, 12:16 PM
lol, I was talking about CTcon....Firefly is kind of out of place at AB...but its still worth a try to at least be in costume and inform people that way.

From my experience at AWA, people were really receptive and friendly. I'd say I talked to 100+ people both fans of and interested parties of the show. So sticking out as being non-anime isn't neccesarily a bad thing...

The only exception was a pair of girls that insisted, in a very assholish manner, Firefly was a rip off of Cowboy Bebop and refused to listen to my logical arguments against the claim.

And to keep this post more on the cosplay topic, anyone have interesting Firefly cosplay stories?

I was in the Dragon-Con parade with Reannaremik with the Worlds of Whedon group when we pasted by this crazy street preacher who was yelling something 'bout god and our burning souls whatever to the parade audience & goers alike. I nudged the guy playing Mal to go off on the guy, but either he didn't hear. So taking a deep breath, I yelled in my most bitterly angrily voice: "WHERE WAS GOD AT SERENITY VALLEY!?"

Kairi G
12-01-2004, 02:21 PM
hahahaha thats hillarious!

and how did they possilby think it was a rip off of cowboy bebop.... they are totally diffferent... no way similar at all! stupid people...

Ginny
12-01-2004, 03:36 PM
Actually, they are similar. Same with Outlaw Star. (Hello? Girl in a box?) Joss is at least somewhat a fan of Japanese media (yes, it's true) and I wouldn't be suprized if he was influenced by both Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star. While Firefly itself plotwise is not similar at all and is very original, some themes and styles are the same.

If you watch any of the commentaries on shows like Buffy and Angel, they often make mention of things they "pay homage" to or "rip off" (in their own words, not mine). Joss is a very brilliant and creative writer, but no one is above taking inspiration from other things. There really is no such thing as an original idea.

Gale
12-01-2004, 04:25 PM
there was actually someone telling you all you'd go to hell for liking cartoons and science fiction and dressing up as characters from the shows? what a wierdo. great comeback, though! It would have been cool for the Mal to say it. were you in costume too? arrrg...I wish I could have been at d*c >.<

JacksUsername
12-01-2004, 10:09 PM
I never really saw the similarities in Cowboy Bebop, minus the whole, ya know, cowboy thing, but that's so vague, it really doesn't matter, and a few minor things, but i definelty could see strong similarities b/w Firefly and Outlaw Star. It's all good though, even if by chance he did get inspiration from those, at least he's taking it from good sources, eh?

i don't have any funny firefly stories yet :( but all in due time :-P

reannaremick
12-01-2004, 10:17 PM
Yeah random yelling guy was funny, though the best of times for us I think was still just randomly bursting into the theme song or hero of canton while wandering around. Esp when you run into Adam Baldwin, carrying two beers............twice. Heh, dragon con is the best.

Kairi G
12-01-2004, 10:18 PM
I never really saw the similarities in Cowboy Bebop, minus the whole, ya know, cowboy thing, but that's so vague, it really doesn't matter, and a few minor things, but i definelty could see strong similarities b/w Firefly and Outlaw Star. It's all good though, even if by chance he did get inspiration from those, at least he's taking it from good sources, eh?

i don't have any funny firefly stories yet :( but all in due time :-P
I do agree with the Firefly/Outlaw Star connections... they are similar, but thats really not a problem in my opinion. Id just point out that every fantasy anime has stolen from Lord of the Rings an D&D standards, soooo id say its western entertainments turn to steal back :P

TechieCL
12-02-2004, 12:11 AM
Kairi-G, Jacksusername

Me and a film major friend of mine had a long discussion on what the main differences are between Cowboy Bebop & FIrefly. Boiling it down. While both use the old west as a heavy influence. Bebop is very eastern in its phillosiphy being that it centers on people dealing with their pasts and more specifically Spike's karma. Firefly is Whedon's trademark family building and building a new future rather than returning to the past's problems.

Yes, I was in costume at the DC parade, version 1.0 of my browncoat's uniform. I'll have pictures up...eventually.

Reannmerick,
Yeaup, can't forget the spontaneious hero Canton. Its like Cartman with "Come Sail Away" once you hear part of the song, you just have to finish it. *nods* yeah...Adam really seemed to enjoy two-fisting his beers.

TechieCL
12-03-2004, 10:09 AM
Anyone doing a Mal costume? If you are, I'm wondering how your putting the stripe on his trousers.

For my browncoat uni, I used brown ribbon and fabric glue, but if you look close enough you can see the splotches through the ribbon...

reannaremick
12-03-2004, 11:54 AM
Anyone doing a Mal costume? If you are, I'm wondering how your putting the stripe on his trousers.

For my browncoat uni, I used brown ribbon and fabric glue, but if you look close enough you can see the splotches through the ribbon...

You're fabric glue should have dried clear O.o Also Parson I know the thought scares you but there are these things called a needle and thread. They work wonders on things like that ;) If you didn't wanna sew you could've just asked me, it would take like 10 minutes on a machine.

TechieCL
12-03-2004, 12:38 PM
You're fabric glue should have dried clear O.o Also Parson I know the thought scares you but there are these things called a needle and thread. They work wonders on things like that ;) If you didn't wanna sew you could've just asked me, it would take like 10 minutes on a machine.

Just fishing for ideas and seeing how other people did things. As much as its appreciated, I think I should continue to motivate myself to figure out this needle/thread & machine "thing".

JacksUsername
12-03-2004, 01:09 PM
hehe, as for the stripe goes, i'm planning on doing the whole needle and thread thing ^_^
its the best way i can think of

Kairi G
12-03-2004, 10:15 PM
you could get iron on interfacing and do it that way... but its still prolly better to sew it.

Gale
12-06-2004, 08:40 PM
new promo pic found here (http://www.buffy.nu/article.php3?id_article=7395)

*grin* I am so making that outfit Kaylee has on!!! (besides, I already have pants AND shoes like that!)

I SO CAN'T WAIT!!! why September? why!!!???

TechieCL
12-06-2004, 08:58 PM
Huh, interesting that they got Wash showing off a gun too...guess they want to portray him a bit more macho for the ads.

Kairi G
12-06-2004, 09:03 PM
wheres my Inara! i want pretty inara piccies!

Devi Dark Wolf
12-06-2004, 09:06 PM
Oh wow, I thought I was the only one who wanted to do Firefly cosplay!

Joss rocks. XD

Devi

TechieCL
12-06-2004, 10:44 PM
Nope, far from it. So, what costume are you interested in doing?

Gale
12-07-2004, 07:49 AM
yah, for some reason Morena and Ron couldn't be in it >.< Inara's dresses are always sooo pretty too! I'm interested that they have Kaylee not wearing coveralls/a jumpsuit for once. well, actually, there were times in the show when she didn't (other than her dresses), they just weren't very big, flashy, lengthy parts so it wasn't noticable.

Gale
12-07-2004, 07:58 AM
Kairi, just for you, I found this (http://www.buffy.nu/article.php3?id_article=6492&img=firefly-serenity-behind-the-scene-08.jpg) picture of Inara (warning: the rest in this gallery may or may not include minor spoilers, though)

Oselle
12-07-2004, 08:05 AM
Eeeeeee! Pretty! (y'know, except for the shrivelled and corpsified fellow).

JacksUsername
12-07-2004, 02:28 PM
at least the corpsified things have costumes too ^_^ Mal's costume is cool, but I miss the pants and lighter suspenders. I think the old ones had a little bit of a more classical western feel to them. But I like the new stuff too.

any idea who you want to cosplay from firefly, devi?

TechieCL
12-07-2004, 04:26 PM
at least the corpsified things have costumes too ^_^ Mal's costume is cool, but I miss the pants and lighter suspenders. I think the old ones had a little bit of a more classical western feel to them. But I like the new stuff too.

I betcha they change clothes, so those won't be their only outfits for the movie...I hope.

reannaremick
12-07-2004, 05:05 PM
If anyone wants to know the spoilery answer for why Ron and Morena are not in that promo pic, PM me. I won't just post it cause some people don't wanna know ANYTHING before the film. heh.

Gale
12-08-2004, 04:19 PM
actually, I think it was just that they couldn't be there. I know there's something up with their characters, but as far as the pics concerned I don't think it reads into the plot that deeply.

TechieCL
12-09-2004, 11:34 PM
Heheh actually, just for the record, Reanna's got some insider info...curse her luck at Dragon-Con

reannaremick
12-10-2004, 07:09 AM
Heheh actually, just for the record, Reanna's got some insider info...curse her luck at Dragon-Con
Yes I dooooooooo, moo ah ah ah ah! Still though, I'll keep my lip zipped unless someone really wants to know. Though it appears that even our one way of finding out what happens in the 8 months between Firefly ending and Serenity won't happen either. From what I've heard the animated film is 99% dead, not gonna happen. Boo.

TechieCL
12-10-2004, 09:32 AM
Can't say I'm really surprised with the lead time animated films need, still sucks. I'd put money on it going to comic adaption, wasn't it mentioned Dark Horse got the rights to that?

Kairi G
12-10-2004, 10:23 PM
wow that would be awesome! a comic would be awesome. but so would an animated film. Joss worked on Titan AE which is one of my favorite animated movies like ever! man that would be cool...

JacksUsername
12-11-2004, 03:25 PM
yeah, i remember hearing something about comic book rights being picked up, I don't remember who it was for sure, but Dark Horse certainly makes sense, considering Joss's history with them.

S3RAS
12-16-2004, 12:50 PM
There was a test screening of 'Serenity' recently and one of my LJ friends got to go - she says it's AMAZING, but won't reveal anything about the story/plot. ;)

Jinyo
12-16-2004, 06:00 PM
No WAY!!!
Where?!?
*jealousjealousjealousjealousjealousjealousjealous jealousjealous*

reannaremick
12-16-2004, 06:33 PM
No WAY!!!
Where?!?
*jealousjealousjealousjealousjealousjealousjealous jealousjealous*
In Los Angeles, I believe. *hates being on the east coast* I also second the *jealousjealousjealousjealousjealousjealousjealous jealousjealous*

TechieCL
12-16-2004, 10:37 PM
Posts 'bout the test screening are popping up everywhere. There's a spoiler filled report on aintitcoolnews.com and on Fireflyfans.net there's spoiler removed versions on there.

Kairi G
12-17-2004, 07:38 AM
wow i think i am gonna go crazy waiting til september for this movie when there are already so many spoilers and stuff out there! this is insane!!!!! ... :( i wanna see a test screening... :(

Jinyo
12-17-2004, 02:55 PM
Aw ma~an! I live in LA and I'm on a screenings list... though obviously not the right one!
*deep breath*
It'll be okay...
*deep breath*
September is only
*deep breath*
NINE months away...!?!
AAAUUGHHH!!!

IdhrenethMeril
12-18-2004, 03:30 PM
A non-Serenity movie screening related question:

I'm going to make a Kaylee costume. Instead of buying a jumpsuit already made, I'd rather make my own and customize it a little bit. For fabrics, what do you guys suggest? I was thinking either a heavy cotton, linen, cotton/linen blend, or cotton/poly blend?

TechieCL
12-18-2004, 08:22 PM
Well I'm not an expert of fabric but you'd want something light in general since you'll be moving around in it all day...

but with surplus stores and everything, I think you can score a jumpsuit on the cheap.

murmur
12-19-2004, 07:09 AM
A non-Serenity movie screening related question:

I'm going to make a Kaylee costume. Instead of buying a jumpsuit already made, I'd rather make my own and customize it a little bit. For fabrics, what do you guys suggest? I was thinking either a heavy cotton, linen, cotton/linen blend, or cotton/poly blend?

Lightweight twill is always good--it's cotton, so it's breathable, but it'll still be stiff enough to hold up like coveralls do.

And, just 'cause I'm thinking of making a Kaylee costume myself, have you found a pattern for a jumpsuit?

reannaremick
12-19-2004, 09:24 AM
Lightweight twill is always good--it's cotton, so it's breathable, but it'll still be stiff enough to hold up like coveralls do.

And, just 'cause I'm thinking of making a Kaylee costume myself, have you found a pattern for a jumpsuit?

Yeah I would agree there, it's probably your best bet to use twill. I used a premade jumpsuit because well, I already had one. I love wearing them during that time in Trading Spaces becoming fashionable and everyone was wearing them because Genevieve did on the show. LOL. God I was such a dork, but it was handy once it came time for Kaylee.

Also if either of you need any help with her patches I'm working on a sort of catalogue of them, cause there are some even I didn't find for my first costume, so now I'm watching very carefully and getting down sketches of them all.

As far as a pattern goes.....I can't find any online, but check the fabric stores books of patterns, you might find something. If you can't I don't see why you couldn't just alter a pattern for like pajamas with a top and bottom, so that the top and bottom bits are connected. Hope this helps.

IdhrenethMeril
12-19-2004, 04:59 PM
If I don't find a pattern at the fabric store, I'll combine pants and a shirt. The jumpsuit I want to make is the one she wears in 'Serenity,' along with that teal brocade jacket.

It's hard to decide on the color. In some spots it looks green, others tan/khaki.

Kairi G
12-19-2004, 07:27 PM
i would probably use a twill for her jumpsuit. because its heavy duty but wearable. and comes in colors like her suits are.

Gale
12-22-2004, 09:20 AM
my mom says she has a pattern for me to use for my Kaylee costume. I also found something that might work when I was browsing catilogues, but I can't remember the brand right now >.< when my mom finally digs hers out of her sewing stuff, I'll be sure to post what it is.

also, reannaremick, I think I'm pretty good with her patches, but did you ever keep a close tab on her necklaces? I'm trying to figure out which ones to make/find a suitble copy of....*shrugs* maybe I can catilogue that while you get the patches! lol

Gale
12-30-2004, 02:46 PM
hey...question: who here is comming to Connecticon and as which Firefly character? I was board so I wrote out a "skit" scene between Kaylee & Mal (since the only people I'm sure are attending are Jacksusername & me). It's a shameless plug, consisting of Kaylee begging Mal to let the crew go see the movie while they're planetside, however its only in experimental stages and I'm open to suggestions.

Kairi G
01-02-2005, 08:04 PM
... i just realized connecticon is like in the middle of the week...
thats weird... but im gonna try to come and if i do im gonna be Inara

Gale
01-03-2005, 06:55 PM
no, its not...dates somewhere are screwed up >.< but whatever dates you saw...look to the weekend after (before?) it. I think it's around the 17th of July

*EDIT* Checked the website (http://www.connecticon.org), it's July 15-17 (the 3rd weekend in July)

Kairi G
01-03-2005, 09:17 PM
ah awesome that works out better then... but i was kinda getting excited about a con marathon... oh well... hehe...
I probably will be there then, but i still will have to see, that month is gonna be crazy for me but that is a good weekend.

Oselle
01-04-2005, 09:13 AM
Gale - love the new avatar! You are going to be an ADORABLE Kaylee. ^_^

Jaynestown!Inara update: found an appropriate paint combination while out west over the holidays, proceeded to blow budget on paint (but what can I say, I'm weak when it comes to TEH PRETTY). I'll be doing some test swatches with paint this week, and then hopefully get the top garment built on the weekend so that I can get going on the looooong process of painting. Whee!

Gale
01-04-2005, 01:33 PM
omg...speaking of me as Kaylee...at New Years my friend Danielle had this beautiful poofy white & tinted pink dress....and I need a white dress for graduation, so we switched dresses to see if I'd fit into it in case I need it as a backup...OMG I loved the dress! I waited at least 30 minutes after everyone else was in their PJ's 'cause it was just so fun to wear. I felt like Kaylee muchly. Yes, I just said "muchly." I don't know why, I just felt like it :thumbsup:

Kairi G
01-04-2005, 02:20 PM
your so adorable Gale!

Gale
01-16-2005, 03:22 PM
GUESS WHAT!!! So, I'm cheap, and lazy, and have no free time, but am also VERY lucky...and....I found something I can use this week to dress as Kaylee for Character Day durring my school's Spirit Week!!! I found a matching kakki jacket/pants set that can sort of work as a "jumpsuit" kinda thing....and I have some shirts that are like Kaylee's, one is just like the one she wears in OiS....so, I'm all set! I so can't wait...

of course, this doesn't mean I'm not still going to make a costume. I want a really good one for Connecticon, so I'm definatly making one, but yah...I have my last-minute, lucky-find, store-bought Kaylee costume! yay! I'll get pictures up as soon as they're avalible ;)

Kairi G
01-17-2005, 11:35 AM
goin to connecticon!!!!

and Yay for Gale! quick cheap costumes can be fun! hehe!

but anyways, we should see if we can find the whole cast for a connecticon skit!
so is this who we got so far?
Inara ~ me
Kaylee ~ Gale
Simon ~ JacksUserName (not sure if thats right)

I might be able to convince my friend to be Mal... anyone else got friends who could be convinced ? P

Oselle
01-17-2005, 04:43 PM
I realize that this is a serious stab in the dark...but are there any costumers doing a Malcolm Reynolds ensemble interested in coming up to Toronto in April? I have a kickass skit idea, but I need a Mal.

Kairi/Gale/JacksUsername - take lots of pictures! ^_^

Gale
01-18-2005, 09:32 AM
I've been working on my friend about River.....but she dosen't know her work schedule yet though. so....

Inara ~ Kairi
Kaylee ~ Gale
Simon ~ JacksUserName
Mal ~ Kairi's friend (?)
River ~ Gale's friend (?)

(?)= maybe...

I made a preliminary skit to sort of get an idea about what to do...it was only between Mal & Kaylee, but it gave me some ideas of what we might wnat to do. If anyone has any skit ideas, please mention them! I'll probably start a post for it in "Masquerade / Skit Discussion" so we can keep this topic for costume stuff. I'll post a link when I do.

Gale
01-18-2005, 09:51 AM
here: http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?p=940158

Kairi G
01-18-2005, 02:17 PM
even if we just have Inara Kaylee and simon, im sure there is a lot that can be done... but im gonna have to ask my friend if he wants to be mal, he doesnt normally get into cosplay, but maybe for the sake of a firefly skit he will :P

Gale
01-20-2005, 10:00 PM
So...my Kaylee costume was less than a success. I spent most of the day tucking in my kakki jacket and explaining to people who I was supposed to be, starting with the disclaimer “you probably have no idea who it is,” and then, almost each time, getting the same response when I get to the part about it being from a sci fi show: “oh, yah, I wouldn’t know it.” Uggg...not to rant, but why do people have such a low opinion of sci fi? Don’t answer that. I know why. It just annoys me to no end.

Anyway, not feeling “Kaylee” enough (seeing as the only person who knows the series didn’t even recognize my costume until I told him, although he said it looked good) I put on some “engine grease” but my plan apparently backfired, because I spent the rest of the day adding an explanation of “what(’s) up/wrong with/happened to your face?”

So...basically, I’ve learned my lesson: don’t cosplay “just-add-water” cosplay when you’re somewhere NO ONE will recognize your character. Especially when the point of the event is more or less to have your character recognized, and all your friends have much better costumes/characters than you. I’m not giving up on Firefly cosplay, but I’m just going to stop sitting on my lazy bum and actually make my costume so I can have something that actually looks like her outfit. Oh, and there was one pic taken of me (by the yearbook staff). Unless I can convince some friends to do a photo shoot of me, I won’t likely have any pics of it >.< I’ll try to get a copy of the one though.

Oselle
01-24-2005, 09:31 PM
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=263431
Finally, some progress! Baby steps, baby steps.

Kairi G
01-24-2005, 09:42 PM
Great Job Oselle!!!!! its looking so wonderful so far!!!

reannaremick
01-24-2005, 10:02 PM
Coming together really nicely! Can't wait to see the finished product!

JacksUsername
01-26-2005, 01:55 PM
costume's lookin amazing, oselle

i got another one of my roomies into firefly, he dind't like the premiere, but then I made him kill the series...all the episodes over 2 nights, it was fun, thank goodness for snow storms :-P But now he's really into it, loves the Reavers, and walks around saying two by two, hands of blue. ^_^

I'm still not actually quite sure if I'm doing Mal or Simon yet...I hope by Connecticon I'd have both done, I have patterns for both, its just a matter of time, plus I have to have a Kalas costume done for Anime Boston.

Gale
01-26-2005, 09:36 PM
WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!!! lol...I was getting worried.

anyway, I thought you had said either...and either would work....we need to work on spreadding the word more though....would your friend be interested in joining us? or is he not really the convention type? lol

also! if you have any ideas for the skit we can do, please post here (http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?p=940158)! I'm really excited about this, but I want to be organized early enough so that it will actually work out....

JacksUsername
01-27-2005, 11:30 PM
haha, i took a little forums break for winter vaca, but now that its really really freezing, I'm finding my way around the forums again cause outside's pretty much off limit :-P

my friend isn't really the convention type, I'm trying to talk him into just going for the fun of it and he might share an artist alley table with me because me and him are both animators, so we see eye to eye on a lot of things in the art world.

oops, lil off topic :-P

for hype for the movie, I've been wearing this Serenity badge on my work uniform so people keep asking me what the movie is. Luckily my boss's haven't said anything yet. ^_^

TechieCL
01-29-2005, 04:13 PM
My 60% to 70% done Browncoat uniform. The vest is a semi-original design. Ring & buckles as opposed to fabric and button to fasten it.

C&C away.

All that's left is some touch ups, the chainmail arm sleeves and burlap-like undershirt.

JacksUsername
01-29-2005, 11:25 PM
looking good ^_^ good luck with the chainmail sleeves. sounds tough.

TechieCL
01-29-2005, 11:46 PM
looking good ^_^ good luck with the chainmail sleeves. sounds tough.

Yeah, I'm contemplating repainting nylon mesh fabric for it instead of doing actual chainmail.

1wingedangel
01-30-2005, 08:45 PM
if any one needs any of the guns made let me know. I make them out of hard rubber just like the films, keeps them from breaking.

Geezer
01-30-2005, 10:16 PM
if any one needs any of the guns made let me know. I make them out of hard rubber just like the films, keeps them from breaking.
Email me, please. I need Mal's gun, and I'm not doing such a great job of converting the Colt Army Revolver.

Kairi G
01-31-2005, 04:29 PM
hey chainmail isnt too hard... it is just time consuming...ive been working on a small chainmail project of my own, and it is pretty easy. There are even websites where you can order chain links for mail... so you wouldnt even have to make them like I am.

And good news is that Genericon is done... and that means two more costumes down.. and closer to starting Inara... I hope to start it sometime soon...i mean,i got all the fabric already!

liquideyes
02-01-2005, 12:25 AM
Found something neat...this weekend at Con*Cept in Montreal, I was looking through some photos from Worldcon 2003 (aka Torcon 3) where I was in the costuming fashion show. There was a girl in a beautiful dress entered in the masquerade, but I had no idea what her costume was from - this weekend when I saw the pics, it clicked. She was shindig-Inara, complete with a standee-Mal!! GAH! I didn't get into Firefly until this year, so of course I wouldn't have known...wish I knew how to get in touch with her to say a very belated well-done.

*turns red like a very red thing*

Um, hi! That would be me. Thank you so much!

I found this thread from a link on the Serenity Browncoats official board, and I must say it's wonderful to see so many Firefly costumers! (I remember, back in the day, when it was pretty much just me and a couple of others trying to drum up interest on the official prospero board).

I fell head over heels in love with Firefly right from the beginning and it spawned a fair amount of costuming for me...

I made the Kaylee teddy bear coveralls (http://individual.utoronto.ca/liquideyes/costumeskaylee.html), then added the coat and parasol (http://individual.utoronto.ca/liquideyes/costumeskayleesois.html) from the ep Serenity for Torcon 3 hall costuming, then there's the Inara ballgown (http://individual.utoronto.ca/liquideyes/costumesinarashindig.html) that Oselle kindly mentioned above (thanks for the picture links btw, I hadn't seen some of those and I like a few of them far better than what's currently on my site, which is rather in desprate need of an update.)

I was suposed to do Mal and Inara from Jaynestown with a friend for Toronto Trek last year, but due to some bad planning that fell through. I did manage to finish it for Noreascon IV this summer (you can see some pictures here (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/NSPsAbroad/WorldCon%20Sept%202-5%2004/Inaraandthegang.jpg), here (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/NSPsAbroad/WorldCon%20Sept%202-5%2004/LiqetalatWC2.jpg), and here (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/NSPsAbroad/WorldCon%20Sept%202-5%2004/Giggles.jpg)).

I have had to take a bit of a break from sewing/costuming because of school, but I still would really like to make Kaylee's "date" dress (as seen with Bester in Out of Gas and Simon in The Message) but I haven't been able to find any suitable fabric (I'll keep looking). More Kaylee shirts are also a must (lace for the Objects in Space shirt is proving near impossible for me to find).

And who knows what wonderful ideas will come for the Big Damn Movie! *can't wait*

I love the pictures that you guys have posted and can't wait to see more! A stronger Firefly presence at cons is always a wicked cool thing.

And Oselle, your painting on the Jaynestown Inara dress is spectcular! I figured (from watching it so many times) that despite the costumer's sketch, the material could be black and red, so I ended up finding something I though would do not too badly, but what you've done is perfect! Wow.

Happy costuming all!

-liquideyes

Oselle
02-01-2005, 09:58 AM
*tosses confetti* Welcome liquideyes! Wish I'd known a little more about Firefly in 2003, I would have chatted with you at Worldcon. And I LOVE the plushie Simon!

Will you be at Toronto Trek this year? There will have to be a Shindig for the Firefly folk, methinks.

And thank you for the compliments, I appreciate it! I just discovered that the the quasi-obi has a design on it as well, so I'm going to improvise a design and paint it this week while my sewing machine is out of commission.

___

Here's a question for you folks...I'm placing it here instead of in Skit Discussion because I'd rather actual fans of the show have input first, if I come up with something I might post it over there eventually for critique. Anyhoo! I don't think I'll have a Mal for Ad Astra, so I need to come up with something for Inara onstage. I'd rather not just do a walk-on-twirl-walk-off, it's not my style. Can anyone think of a simple joke for me to play with on stage?

*pokes liquideyes* can I encourage you to check out Ad Astra? Skit potential is magnified with more than one Inara...hee!

Many thanks. ^_^

TechieCL
02-01-2005, 10:31 AM
Hmmm...skit...skit...

Perhaps modifying the "bwah!" scene in Heart of Gold.

Mal walks on fiddling with his gun and Inara surprises him.

"Bwah!?"

"Sorry Mal did I scare you?"

"No..you know BWAH! Mighty war cry...bwah bwah!" Brandishes gun some.

liquideyes
02-01-2005, 11:05 AM
Oooooh, confetti! Shiny!

Thanks for the welcome! *hugs plushie!Simon for you* (I really want time to make the rest of the crew)

Sadly, it's pretty unlikely I'll be at Toronto Trek this year (I'm very sad about it too) because I need to do my fieldschool this summer (I'm an archaeological science student) so I'll probably be far away... I do have hopes for maybe making it to Dragon-con to make up for it. And if that falls through there's always SFX (though I much prefer TTrek)...

Sadly I never manage to make it to Ad Astra because it falls in the middle of exams, so the likelyhood of that is also slim to none sadly (damn, it would be fun for multiple Inara's... or I could go as Kaylee, so I could be your mei-mei. I really would love to get a whole crew together one of these days).

Any chance you're going to the Canadian Browncoats shindig on Feb 5th? Cause it would be really fun to talk Firefly (and costumes) with you!

Yeah, I realized the quazi-obi was patterned pretty late into the game, but managed to find a silver patterned overlay that worked pretty well. Though I think the real one is kind of a paisley... Kudos to all the handpainting! I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished product!

In regards to the skit... They are *hard* especially when you can't be sure everyone knows the show... what about a riff on Companions (Not a whore)... or conversley whores/geisha's in space... Or to paraphrase the actual episode something along the lines of "off to have good sex now"... ??? I'm sorry, I'm not very good at these things... (Oh, also, what an awesome chance to pimp the Big Damn Movie!)

Oselle
02-01-2005, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the skit ideas, guys - keep 'em coming! I'll probably post it to the Browncoats forums as well.

Sadly, it's pretty unlikely I'll be at Toronto Trek this year (I'm very sad about it too) because I need to do my fieldschool this summer (I'm an archaeological science student) so I'll probably be far away... I do have hopes for maybe making it to Dragon-con to make up for it. And if that falls through there's always SFX (though I much prefer TTrek)...

Sadly I never manage to make it to Ad Astra because it falls in the middle of exams, so the likelyhood of that is also slim to none sadly (damn, it would be fun for multiple Inara's... or I could go as Kaylee, so I could be your mei-mei. I really would love to get a whole crew together one of these days).

Eee! I want a mei-mei! Regarding TT, I think that's a fair excuse. ^_~ Fieldschool will be a blast, and hopefully you'll be somewhere far nicer than Toronto. As for Ad Astra, why not just come for the Saturday (check out a couple of panels, we're really pushing the costuming track this year, the masquerade, perhaps a party or two or the dance)? I remember last year, AA fell something like one wee before I defended my masters thesis. I was really reluctant to go, but it ended up being the best thing I could do for myself at the time.

I don't think I'll be at the Browncoats Shindig on the 5th, there is a TT gathering the same day and if I make it out to one of the two, chances are it'll be the TT pub night. But I'll think about it, perhaps I can think of something I need for a costume in TO.

...why do I have this image in my head of multiple Inaras poinging around to the song "It's Raining Men"? o_O

JacksUsername
02-01-2005, 02:48 PM
wow, really nice costumes, liquid eyes,

wish i could help ya with skit ideas, oselle, but i'm running on empty. good luck ^_^

liquideyes
02-01-2005, 05:24 PM
Thank you very much JacksUsername! *blushes*

Eee! I want a mei-mei!

Heee! Hopefully one of these days! I double checked Ad Astra's date and sadly it's got to be a no. I have a term test on the Tuesday and two term tests and a term project the Wednesday following the con weekend. And while it would be fun... My conscience tells me I must decline (if it had been the next weekend... grrr. Silly school timing). And yeah, if I was planning to be somewhere local for Fieldschool I'd come back for Toronto Trek, but I'm actually hoping for a site in England...

That sucks that the TT folks and the Browncoats planned for something on the same day! I totally understand, and I hope the next one has better timing...

Heee! It's raining men, eh? What you really need is a Nandi and a Saffron too for that one;)

Oselle
02-01-2005, 05:28 PM
I double checked Ad Astra's date and sadly it's got to be a no. *snip* And yeah, if I was planning to be somewhere local for Fieldschool I'd come back for Toronto Trek, but I'm actually hoping for a site in England..

Heee! It's raining men, eh? What you really need is a Nandi and a Saffron too for that one;)

Completely understandable! And heck, if I could be exploring historicalness in England over TT weekend, I'd be across the Atlantic in a heartbeat. :thumbsup:

Now, who can I coerce into being my Nandi and Saffron? ^_~

Kairi G
02-02-2005, 01:25 PM
oh man those are great costumes Liquideyes!

and fabulous news everyone! I just started working on my Inara costume. (if you all forgot its the gold dress from "The Message") I have started the top corset thinger, its actually pretty easy...YAY!!! hope to have some progress pics up soonish...