PDA

View Full Version : Mascara Help

Koiji
04-18-2004, 07:11 PM
Anyone know where to find odd colors in mascara?

I've already looked through Amphigory, MAC, Revlon, Lancome, Maybelline, Cover Girl, Clinique, Jane, Max Factor, Almay, L'Oreal, Olay, and New York Color. I've also scoured Ebay.

I've found a company named Stargazer who sells some of the colors I'm looking for, but I can't find a U.S. seller.

I'm looking for colors like white, gray, and silver.

I've been pondering buying a two in one mascara where white is on one side and black is on the other, though I've heard that the white can only be seen on the tips of the lashes. Anyone have any experience with these?

Senko-chan
04-18-2004, 08:09 PM
Well in a shopright I went to...they had mascara in the make-up section in like every color you could dream of...XD! it was quite odd to find it in a food store, but just a cosmetics store should have them I suppose. I've seen them there too. Yes,I've used colored mascara, I honestly dont favor it...You could always use fake eyelashes, thoes could be difficult to work with though...

archangeli
04-18-2004, 08:32 PM
I've been pondering buying a two in one mascara where white is on one side and black is on the other, though I've heard that the white can only be seen on the tips of the lashes. Anyone have any experience with these?

The "white" sides of those 2-in-1 products are not actually a mascara, but a cream that allows the masaca to build on it and make your lashes thicker.

Have you checked theatrical makeup companies like Ben Nye or Kryolan?

Some colors (like red) are NEVER sold as eyeshadows and mascaras because the pigments used to create the colors are not approved for "eye area use" by the FDA. I'm not sure of grey/white are in that category.

One idea you could try is painting the tips of fake eyelashes and applying those over your real lashes. :)

Koiji
04-18-2004, 08:49 PM
Ah, well this is more for eybrows than for the lashes. Though I want something safe as it will be near my eyes.

I've looked at Ben Nye and could only find the hair mascara. The eyelash mascara only comes in brown and black.

Kryolan has what I need. Now I have to find out if they do small orders. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the information. :heart:

archangeli
04-18-2004, 09:36 PM
Kryolan's products are carried by any costume store worth it's salt ;)

Check the phonebook for any good places near you.

ShatteredSunset
04-18-2004, 10:01 PM
Kaboodles sells colored mascara, pretty cheap, too. I found it at Target, but I assume other places carry the line. Still, I personally think black lashes go better with everything~ But that's just me!

Hanyaan
04-18-2004, 11:28 PM
Kaboodles sells colored mascara, pretty cheap, too. I found it at Target, but I assume other places carry the line. Still, I personally think black lashes go better with everything~ But that's just me!

Yes. Caboodles. They're cheap, I found it at my local Long's, and they actually have silver and burgundy red. (The burgundy red makes your eyelashes/eyebrows look a lot like the Merlot color wigs from Amphigory). But yeah, they have a zillion colors.

bipolarbunny
04-19-2004, 02:43 PM
if you want silver eyelashes, what you can do is use regular or clear mascara, apply it to one eye, then quickly, before it dries, dust silver eyeshadow over it. if it's clumpy, you can use an eyelash comb and *gently* comb them out and dust the eyeshadow over again.

personally, i think clear mascara works better because it's more liquid and it doesn't have that clumping thing that mascaras do over time.

just hold a kleenex under your lashes to avoid getting it on your face and eyes closed! >.o

liz-maru
04-19-2004, 04:48 PM
actually ive been to walgreens and walmart and seen some funky mascaras look under the marykate and ashley line at walmart and at walgreens they had some in the wet and wild section lol ^-^ hope that helped

mikazuki
04-19-2004, 05:04 PM
I've seen red mascara as well a silver mascara. The problem is that its sold only at Halloween time.

White mascara is sold at other times of the year but I'm drawing a blank on who makes it. I've seen it at WalMart and RiteAid ( http://www.Drugstore.com ).

Pop Beauty DOES make a silver mascara/gray eyeliner combo for $18. I think the color is called Push or Plush or something... Let me go track it down.... Yes, Plush, sold at http://www.Sephora.com .

Urban Decay also sells "metallic" looking makeup that when water is added makes an eyeliner. You could use it with a CLEAN mascara wand and apply it THEN seal it with a clear mascara.

Ever consider using a fake eyelash? I've seen white, silver and gray (as well as other colors) online at http://MyDivasCloset.com.

Stargazer makes mascara in red, blue, silver, white, purple and green. http://www.gothicasylum.com

Pity that makeup companies stopped making the rainbow colors of mascaras like they did in the 80s. I remember in the late 80s (when I became teen; 1987) all the way into the mid-90s I could buy blue, green, yellow, orange, pink, purple, silver and white mascara; now you have to hunt for companies that still make them and it seems only those who cater to Goths and Divas tend to sell the products I used as a teen!

mikazuki
04-19-2004, 05:12 PM
I'm also thinking... maybe get a metallic eyeliner (those come in a range of colors) and like I mentioned above use a clean mascara wand (you can buy those at a beauty supply store) to apply it THEN seal it with a mascara sealer or a clear mascara.

Koiji
04-20-2004, 01:39 AM
Thank you guys, the advice has really been helpful. :heart: I've found the colors I've been looking for on MDC.

Mikazuki, have you or any one else ordered from My Diva's Closet before? Are they reputable? I'm a bit leery ordering from sellers who don't use paypal. :thumbsup: