PDA

View Full Version : Why was my photo deleted?

athena-chan
04-19-2004, 01:50 AM
I had a pic of my fem tidus costume up and it was deleted.

Is there any rule against having pics of female versions of male caricters?

(it wasn't any thing revealing or offincive....I'm kinda puzzled as to why this was deleted)

Karisu-sama
04-19-2004, 02:22 AM
There is nothing wrong with pics of female versions of male characters. The galleries have many of them.

Photos which are or contain artwork or screen captures are not allowed.

Photo files which are corrupted for some reason must be deleted or the galleries won't work - if these photos don't break the rules, they may be reuploaded.

athena-chan
04-19-2004, 09:17 AM
oh so having a cg with your caricter, and a pic of the caricter you based your costume off right next to it, itsn't alowed? *thinks thats just a bit strange*

ZiggyB
04-19-2004, 03:41 PM
Not really, it's a copyright issue.

Please read the rules about uploading images to the site: http://www.cosplay.com/rules.php

Also the upload screen states pretty clearly:

NO ARTWORK, NO COPYRIGHTED LOGOS IN CG'S.
NO CG'S CONTAINING ARTWORK. PHOTOS ONLY.

In red and bold letters.

xxhcpsgamerxx
04-19-2004, 04:04 PM
Karisu-sama, don't you have a copyrighted character in your icon? :rolleyes:

Admin
04-19-2004, 04:35 PM
Karisu-sama, don't you have a copyrighted character in your icon? :rolleyes:
Yes she does, smartass.

We're not talking about icons, we're talking about the photo galleries, which is where we allow members to "HOST" their photos for free. When you put your photos up on this site, you agree to follow the rules, which clearly state you may NOT upload copyrighted images into your gallery, whether as a solo image or incorporated into another image. It also repeats this rule right next to where you hit the button to upload your photos.

Nowhere does it say "only follow this rule if you agree with it." It's the rule here. Might not be the rule everywhere, but it's the rule here. And if you don't want to follow the rules here, then we don't give a rats ass if you suddenly can't log back in.

It's utterly amazing how some people just don't get it, while 99% of our members have no problem following the rules here.

senshi_meiousei
04-19-2004, 05:55 PM
I have sat around long enough trying to keep my cool...and if my account is terminated because of this, so be it. I really do not appreciate how a lot of the people are being treated here. Admin, I really do appreciate what you have done here for the cosplaying community and, no offense to you, but where on Earth do you have the right to call someone a smartass? They were confused because she had a CGI in her icon yet it is not allowed in the gallery. People can become confused, it's a fact of nature. Just saying "because that is allowed in the icons but not in the gallery" would have been an easy enough, to the point explination. Comments and curse words do not have to be used to get a point across.

I also do not get it how you and some of the other mods, when closing a thread, can be like "how dumb can you be?" Degrading members is not going to help anything. I can see how the vast majority of these threads are closed since they are against rules, policies, etc. and I try my best to follow these, but when a thread is closed, no one wants to be called dumb, lazy, stupid, etc. People make mistakes; we are not perfect. This is supposed to be the cosplay COMMUNITY, and in a community you get along with others.

If this post is not supposed to be in a public place, so be it and delete it. But it really hurts me to see others being treated like this. In fact, it not only upsets me but a lot of the other cosplayers in this forum. If you delete my account because I am voicing my opinion and standing up for the values and morals I was raised on, then so be it. At least I will go down knowing that what I believe in, that all people should be treated equally and with respect and without being put down, was being stood up for.

Karisu-sama
04-19-2004, 07:05 PM
I think Admin has been dealing with enough utter stupidity (some of it directed especially at him) that he might occasionally get short-tempered in a situation where it isn't quite called for. We're all human. (Example: when I've been having a bad day, I'll really yell at my kids for dropping a sandwich on the floor, because there may be something in it that is not good for our dogs - who will of course snarf it up. I am not fond of dealing with a puking dog 3 hours later.)

In any case: for clarification:

1) Copyrighted artwork may not live in the Cosplay.com galleries.
2) Avatars with copyrighted artwork are exempt - because they do not live in the galleries.
3) Banners with copyrighted artwork are only exempt IF they are linked into your sig from another host server, not if they live in the Cosplay.com galleries. (Banners without no artwork may live in the galleries.)

Any more questions?

Dewy
04-19-2004, 07:37 PM
Aah, I get it now...but out of curiousity...what if instead of copyrighted art you put your own fanart in the same picture as a reference? Is that allowed?

ZiggyB
04-19-2004, 07:48 PM
It's stated in the rules: http://www.cosplay.com/rules.php

0. The photo gallery is for PHOTOS. No artwork is allowed.

This includes your own artwork, sorry. :( The reasoning behind this is long and complicated, but basically, we have no way of knowing that it's *your* art. We've had some cases in which people claimed art was theirs when it wasn't.

Edit: Just FYI and if I have my copyright law straight, even fanart has an implicit copyright, so technically it has a copyright too. Then there's something about public domain stuff, which I don't quite understand, but that's the topic for another day. :)

KittyCanuck
04-19-2004, 08:38 PM
senshi_meiousei, while I agree with a fair amount of what you've said, in that sometimes threads are closed much more rudely than would seem necessary, I also agree with Karisu-sama in that generally board Admins get a lot of flack from people who don't think the rules should apply to them, and it really does get tiring after a while.

I like what happens at some boards, where the Mods have a set list of replies to post for specific questions that they just copy/paste when they need to close a thread. For example, if a newbie came in and started a new thread asking, "Hi, how do I make Yuna's red hair tail?", the response would be something like "Please read the thread called "FFX-2 Yuna Thread" [link to thread]. You can search for specific posts about what you want by going to the Advance Search and selecting to display the results as 'posts' instead of 'threads' [lock thread]". It's a longer reply to write, but it need only be written once and then it's just copied and paste over and over as needed. I've found little tidbits about searching and other newbie-tips really help people, rather than just saying "there's already a thread on that, go read it, duh", especially on some boards where the threads can get to be 100+ pages!

However, in this particular case, xxhcpsgamerxx's only post has been the one in this thread. I highly doubt that a brand-new wide-eyed member joined, and THIS was the first thread they read and posted in. :rolleyes:

Admin
04-19-2004, 08:49 PM
Admin, I really do appreciate what you have done here for the cosplaying community and, no offense to you, but where on Earth do you have the right to call someone a smartass?

I apologize for being short with the person. But to be honest, when someone's very first post on the board is a remark directed toward a moderator followed by a little "rolls eyes" sarcastic smiley, that's a smartass in my book. We get smartasses here all the time, they usually come out in the form of first-time posters when people don't like a rule we make. Should I have called him/her a smartass on the forum? Maybe not, so I take it back in theory but not in spirit. We get a lot of crap from people who get insanely sore about our copyright rules, and after a while it gets a bit ridiculous.

Aside from that, I'm not sure where you see moderators degrading members. From time to time we do get troublemakers on the site, and if a moderator gets pushed over the edge to the point of saying something snide to a member who is just here to cause trouble, then that's just a natural reaction. If it's just a member making an honest mistake and a moderator is calling them "dumb" like you suggest, then I want to see it.

If you delete my account because I am voicing my opinion and standing up for the values and morals I was raised on, then so be it.
Over two major websites including over 35,000 members between the two of them, I have never, EVER "deleted" an account because someone voiced an honest opinion against me. We've banned plenty of members for causing problems, but never for their opinions.

Admin
04-19-2004, 08:57 PM
Edit: Just FYI and if I have my copyright law straight, even fanart has an implicit copyright, so technically it has a copyright too. Then there's something about public domain stuff, which I don't quite understand, but that's the topic for another day. :)

Fanart has been prosecuted in the past. I'm not 100% sure of the outcome, but do a search for Dragon Warrior. You're likely to find a lot of opinions skewed toward that of the artist because of the "corporations vs. the little guy" mentality, but reading between the lines reveals quite a bit of legal opinion that shows fanart to be a very overlooked part of the copyright world.

I always put it like this: If you put up a website dedicated to your drawings of Mickey Mouse, had a site like mickey-mouse-fanart.com and sold some drawings you did of it and Disney knew about it, would they send you a cease and desist letter? Of course they would. Japanese companies may look at things differently, or they may not perceive a lot of fanart as a threat, or maybe it's not profitable enough for them to pursue en masse - but it has come under fire before and there's nothing that says it'll never come under fire again.

stefaniecat
04-19-2004, 10:19 PM
Just a something I wanted to mention from a new person too... My two cents aren't worth too much, but I do admin a creative writing message board, and have for 2.5 years now, so yeah, I understand the admin side of it all too... As well as being new here, and goofing up (put up a CG copyrighted image in with my pic for reference, 'cause I got the TOU here mixed up with some other cosplay sites I was checking out at the same time, and someone was nice enough to remind me of the goof, and I fixed them, like, the second I read that)

I would have said that 'smartass' was justified, mainly because of the phrasing followed by the smiley. If it had been a question - but ___ has copyrighted images in the avator, so I don't understand.... - then I could see niceness and sympathy, but the phrasing was just asking for it because of the implied 'you hypocritte' to it, intended or not...

Anyway, I'd say that overall, when people voice their opinion (even in disagreement with Admin) in a way that is respectufl and mature and not rude, hostile, and full of cussing, he treats them with the same respect... Serriously, the way people handle complaints is a really good sign of how they run the board and what kind of person they are, and I tend to go through the help files on places to see what kind of board is being run...

Oh, and someone once made me a nice red keyboard button image that said 'smite' on top of it... So Admin, if you want a 'smite button' I'll give you the image... :square: