PDA

View Full Version : Lightening Eyebrows!

Gothic_Catboy
04-20-2004, 04:25 AM
Okay... I guess the Title seemed funny to me at the time because the darkening topic was below it... but anyways...

How can I make my eyebrows lighter for a character with blonde hair?

mikazuki
04-20-2004, 10:10 AM
Facial bleach is a good place to start BUT it does flake off as it dries and isn't recommended for the eye area. Still what you could do is apply around the surrounding area a layer of Vasiline and on the eyebrow the bleach. Wait less then five minutes (you can see your hair begin to change color). Then you can use a colored mascara to "dye" (temp) the color you want.

There IS an eyebrow dye that comes in three colors - brown, black and blue (yes, blue but don't ask me why blue). You can get that at a beauty supply store that sells to the public (like Sally's Beauty).

archangeli
04-20-2004, 11:01 AM
MAC also makes a brow gel:

http://www.gloss.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1122305&cp=1117669.1117691

Anele
04-20-2004, 12:03 PM
Any ideas for white brows? I saw that MAC doesn't carry that color gradiant. Something rather quick to put on, but believeable. ^_^

archangeli
04-20-2004, 04:09 PM
For extreme eyebrow changes, you can always cover up your eyebrows completely with spirit gum (wait for it to dry), then cover with foundation and draw on a new set of eyebrows with eyeshadow

If you use a Pigment powder (like the ones by MAC) and a good eyebrow brush you can get a great result.

Ali
04-20-2004, 04:44 PM
As an alternative to the spirit gum (I *hate* spirit gum) Ben Nye also makes a tattoo sealer. I had to "move" my eyebrows for a show, and so we covered them with the tattoo sealer, then with the white makeup I had to wear. Worked very well. Much easier to remove, too. ^_^

Anele
04-20-2004, 05:04 PM
Can you buy Ben Nye in, let's say, distinctly-makeup, stores? I know the brand is used for the stage and all, but... I do not think there is a theatrical shop anywhere near here. I saw a place to buy it online, though. Any suggestions? I think I like that tattoo sealer.

Don't they sell white pencils or any white pigment applications that is safe to use on the eyebrows as well as the sealer?

Arisugawa Juri
04-20-2004, 05:42 PM
What I've found that works is to apply 3% hydrogen peroxide solution to the eyebrows with a q-tip and either blow-dry them or sit in the sun for a time. It takes several applications, but the brows will gradually lighten. You want your eyebrows at least one shade darker than your hair, though, otherwise it looks unnatural.

Anele
04-20-2004, 06:26 PM
Bleaching eyebrows = not something I want to do. Hence why I am trying to find other methods.

mikazuki
04-20-2004, 06:39 PM
FYI: Some people may not know this but 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (sold in drugstores to clean cuts) is also known at 10 Volume peroxide/developer to cometologists.

Anele
04-22-2004, 06:17 PM
Any brow gels to match a silver white (60) wig color? Reminder: I have dark brown eyebrows.

Machiko
04-22-2004, 08:41 PM
Any brow gels to match a silver white (60) wig color? Reminder: I have dark brown eyebrows.

Well, check out the sites that were posted above for the silver mascara, and apply it with a brow brush. That would work

I'm assuming you're going this for Sephiroth, neh? :thumbsup:
Fun times :)

Anele
04-22-2004, 09:00 PM
Yep, 'tis what my avatar and its signature represent. I want the eyebrow coloring to look as realistic as possible though. That is why I am asking you guys, the makeup experts. ^_^ Mascara can be used on eyebrows? Safely? Will it easily flake off or look weird? o_O

mikazuki
04-22-2004, 10:56 PM
Yes mascara can be used on the eyebrows. If its used on the lashes which are directly next to the eyeball it can be used on the brows. ;) It won't flake off at all but you need to practice so that it doesn't look too heavy. Wipe excess mascara off wand before you apply with a tissue paper then apply with a light hand. I use brown mascara on my own eyebrows with a pencil to make them appear longer and more tapered. My brows are thin and light compared to my natural hair color (and dyed color) that if I don't my face looks off.

Anele
04-22-2004, 11:06 PM
Wipe excess mascara off wand before you apply with a tissue paper then apply with a light hand.

I became a little confused while reading this part. Would you mind reinstating what you meant, Mikazuki (step-by-step process mostly, because I have never 'colored' my eyebrows before)? Thank you for your assistance. Much appreciated ^^.

archangeli
04-22-2004, 11:27 PM
- pull the mascara wand out of the tube (don't "pump" the wand into the tube like some people do -> that does is put air into your mascara and encourage bacteria)

- take a tissue and run the mascara wand over the tissue a few times to get rid of any excess product. you basically want just a small amount of product on the wand so you can control how much you put on. It's always best to start with less and add more later on. (this may seem like a waste of product, but you're supposed to throw mascaras out after 3 months anyhow ;) )

- sweep the masacara on in the direction that your brow hairs grow in. Stare at your eyebrows in the mirror for a minute to understand what I mean. Some hairs grow "up" closer to your nose, then they go sideways and then towards the tip of your eyebrow the start to grow downwards.

- working in the direction of the hairgrowth, brush the mascara on. At the same time, the mascara will "style" and hold your eyebrows in place.

- if you need more color, dip the wand into the mascara again, but don't forget to wipe of the excess before applying again!

They do sell white/ silver eyeliner pencils that you can use in combination with the mascara effect to make your brows stand out even more. With eye pencils you "draw" in the direction of hair growth, but in short feathery strokes.

mikazuki
04-22-2004, 11:36 PM
What she (archangeli) posted. :)

Anele
04-22-2004, 11:42 PM
Oooh, thank you both! You two are lifesavers! ^_^ *bows in thanks*

Takuropop
04-24-2004, 12:09 PM
Quick Question:

How long does Ben Nye take to dry?

Since I may have to have some shipped in specially, I was just wanting to check with people who have used it before as I wouldn't have a really long time to alter my eyebrows for a masquerade cosplay I want to wear as it takes at least 2 hours to put the costume on alone. I just have incredibly thick wirey textured black eyebrows that can't be covered well by most products without making them look very artificial but I also do not want to risk bleaching.

Elf
06-11-2004, 02:07 AM
Just so you know, peroxiding your eyebrows can be very dangerous, which is why it's been made illegal in salons in the US. It works, yes, but can also blind you if you're not careful.