PDA

View Full Version : Fruits magazine?

Tenshisama
06-09-2002, 09:06 PM
Hi Hi

I was having a chat with a classmate today about fashion art (I can't paint, draw, or anything else and yet I'm forced to take art history cause they won't let me take costuming *sniffles*) and was telling her how inspiring I find asian fashion. She said our local art gallery sometimes carries a book called "Fruits" all about Japanese fashion... and I've found it and on a whim, ordered it from amazon. Below is a link to it (different site, but oh well ^_^)

http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=1-0714840831-0

I was wondering if anybody else has seen this book or heard of it before, and how they liked it?

Ayaka
06-09-2002, 09:45 PM
I have the book. ^^ It's great fun, I love looking at the pictures! The only thing I'd say is, that the styles are kind of out of date; if you were in Japan now, I think fashion is running differently. I also say this on the basis of picking up some issues of the Fruits magazine, as in the mag they pulled the pictures from for the book, and all the fashion was boring. :P Like really boring, ordinary stuff. Maybe it was cause it was winter issues . . . but, I think maybe the book gives a slightly skewed vision of Japanese street fashion; only a fraction of people really dress that way.

And I saw them in Harajuku. ^^ If you're ever in Japan, go to Harajuku, and sit on the steps outside the Gap. (NO, for real.) All the weirdest kids seem to hang there, and there was a pro photographer (maybe from Fruits?) there. I noticed the Gap in the background of a few of the photos in the book. It was a great sight, bastion of American boring conformist preppiness and outside the wildest-looking teens in Tokyo. ^^

Mei Lan Chang
06-10-2002, 01:47 AM
You know, Ayaka, I am going to Harajuku this July, and I am going to take your advice! This seems like a more interesting activity than looking at decoratice gardens all day like planned on the "official tour". I'll get some pictures and post them so we can all see just what she is talkging about! ^_~

HuongStar
06-10-2002, 10:01 AM
Duuuude, I have a subscription and I love it! I don't own the book yet but it's very inspirational as far as design goes. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only person that loves it! ^_^

Ringo
06-13-2002, 03:32 PM
Fruits is a great book. It funny to see how many of the fashions on the book are based off of anime. I wish they had more Kogal fashion in that book, but they are went for more independent style of dressing. ^_^
I LOVE JAPANESE FASHION!