PDA

View Full Version : AN Weapons Policy

sazabi
04-22-2004, 01:01 PM
Anyone know if you can bring bb/pellet guns into the con? I emailed them and they say that you can bring one if it does not resemble a real gun. So does this mean there is no way I can bring a gun in the con? because it goes with my costume. Any suggestions? like a way to bringing in a fake gun without them noticing etc.?

Lyulf
04-22-2004, 01:57 PM
The only thing i can say is that it isn't a real gun, they don't want you in possession of a projectile weapon of which a bb/ pellet gun is

Kia
04-22-2004, 02:32 PM
If you bring a bb/pellet gun it is *still a gun*. It can possibly be used to hurt people. Even if it's for your costume I can almost guarentee that you will not be allowed to bring it to the con. The only way you could bring a weapon for your costume would be if it *obviously* didn't look like it was real. That way no one has to worry that you could all of a sudden open fire. They don't think that *you* are dangerous, but they have to put rules like that into effect because there ARE people who would bring a gun like that and do stupid things with them.

The way things like dollar store guns get around looking real is with those bright orange caps on the end or them. If you want to make sure your gun doesn't look real think of something along those lines.

sazabi
04-22-2004, 05:54 PM
yah I know it's still a gun, but im going to empty all the bullets, however if they don't let me bring it, can I still make up a lie and say I'm going to use it for the Masqurade? Because I heard you can bring this sorta stuff to if your going to compete in the Masqurade.

Kia
04-22-2004, 08:22 PM
I believe you have to get permission to bring it into the masquerade. But that's on the proviso that you ONLY bring it out when you're going to the masquerade. It needs to be out of site otherwise. If you're seen carrying it through the hallways at any other time and use that excuse I wouldn't be suprised if you get it confiscated.

Remember, you just told everyone on this board that you are going as a Resident Evil character and will be bringing a bb/pellet gun. And you just said that you will lie about your weapon. Not a smart move.

There are rules for a reason and you can't just pretend they don't exist if they don't work for you.

sazabi
04-22-2004, 08:35 PM
Are you AN staff? I don't think AN staff reads this stuff, they have their own boards and out of so much topics it doesn't mean they will read this one. Even if the people here found out that I would be cosplayin as a RE character it doesn't mean that there going to go tell everyone its no freakin party so no one cares. Besides I don't think they can confiscate it either because it's my property they can do it if I abuse it like whipping it at people or just hitting them, what they probably would do is just suspend it from me until the con is over and it also doesn't mean that the AN staff will be all over the place i can pull it out in the corridors or I can hide it in a cloak when they pass by. Remember all AN staff wear tags. And remember last year? there was a guy that cosplayed Wesker and he had a gun but it was peace bonded and it looked pretty real to me so I don't think I will have that much of a problem.

Mage
04-22-2004, 11:18 PM
Actually, many of the people on this board are either staff members or volunteers at the convention. As stated in another thread, there will be a mandatory weapons panel for everyone carrying any prop that could be considered a weapon.

Blatantly stating that you're going to disobey the rules isn't a very wise. If you were just going to ignore the weapons policy, why ask about it in the first place?

Here (http://forums.cosplay.com/showpost.php?p=678143&postcount=10) is the pertinent thread/post for the mandatory weapons panel.

sazabi
04-22-2004, 11:26 PM
Well its just an alternative, but is this it? your all going to be against me? My weapon does not look 100% realistic but it looks a lil bit like a real gun and even if they found out then so what? All they do is going to peace bond it and i'm fine with that, I am just considering that as an alternative, it's not like im going to take it out 24/7 maybe once in a while at the con.

Mage
04-23-2004, 01:45 AM
No one's against you. I'm just saying that the weapons panel will okay the weapon or not....If you're fine with peace bonding and such, then why talk about concealing your prop? Just go to the panel and they'll let you know if it's fine or needs to be peacebonded, etc. ^_^

Chosuke
04-23-2004, 07:07 AM
I do not believe a B.B Gun will be acceptable.
Considering they have taken away wooden POLES before, I think they might take a Gun.
Even if it is unloaded, a B.B gun is still a GUN.
And thoroughly not appropriate for a con environment.
I suggest you get a dollar store gun, and leave your B.B at home.

Catboi Blues
04-23-2004, 07:53 AM
If your weapon is peace bonded by security you should be good to go. There isn't a big deal about it if you comply with their rules. As for walking around with it, just make sure that you aren't pointing it around at people, not everyone will understand that its not a real gun. Also, con security and the security of the Congress Center are two different things so be sure that you act with common sense. If you don't behave at the con and give them just reasoning, they'll have you removed from the convention, possibly on a permanent basis.

Lyulf
04-23-2004, 12:26 PM
There is also the fact that it is classified as brandishing a weapon in public, Even if not loaded, and that could lead to a police arresting you.

archangeli
04-23-2004, 01:56 PM
I agree with everything that has already been said -
unless you want to have your gun taken away from you, don't bring it.

and for the record - there are AN volunteer staff on the cosplay.com boards ;)
just because the few of us that responded to you aren't, it doesn't mean this thread hasn't been read by those who are.

don't blatantly try to break the rules. no costume is worth getting kicked out of the convention for.

sazabi
04-23-2004, 03:13 PM
Like I said, I only thought of it, thinking and doing are totally both different things. However I just wanted to find out every single detail regarding this policy, but I don't think theyre going to arrest me just for bringing a prop gun, it's 100% real either and I do remember a guy cosplaying an RE character having a gun peacebonded with him and it's not a toy gun. So yah I think I can still bring it as long as it goes through the weapons panel, but thanks for the info anyways.

Tamer Brad
04-29-2004, 02:02 PM
I remember a Crono cosplayer last year had a bouken, and it was fine.

...until he pulled it on someone as a joke.

Kaijugal
04-29-2004, 05:11 PM
Bringing a pellet gun will get you expelled if you're discovered using it in the halls or venue, no matter how clever you think you're being.

FYI Anime North in recognition of thier expanding size and needs, has installed a highly respected weapons master who is both knowledgeable and experienced. I'm sure all of the level headed and dedicated cosplayers here will appriciate the new level general community education as well as a improved level of consistancy in the Weapons Policy. :).

Anime North Weapons Rules, Regulations And Liability Limitations

1.NO live firearms, removal of firing pin or bolt does not negate this rule!

2. NO prohibited weapons (as defined by applicable Canadian Laws)
examples include (but are not limited to):
Bali-Song ("butterfly knife") or switchblade/dropblade style knives.
Nunchucks, Tonfas or similarly restricted Martial Arts Weapons
Law Enforcement items such as Batons, Tazers or Mace.

3. No Replicas of Contemporary Firearms (i.e. beginning from the era of revolvers -U.S. Civil War forward to any currently manufactured firearms)

4. All weapons must be holstered, sheathed or slung in an approved fashion.
Weapons will not be drawn or displayed outside of convention function space, (except in the privacy of a hotel room), or in any public or crowed area.

5. Due and full consideration must be given to physical safety and peace of mind of other persons at all times, this includes the general public and venue staff, not just other convention attendees. Translation: The archaic and juvenile practice of "freaking the mundanes" * will NOT be tolerated in any form or fashion at any time !
*Mundanes: Your friends who keep asking you if you're still into that weird cartoon stuff /normal mortals who do not understand anime or related hobbies.

6. All weapons must be checked and authorized by the Weapons Masters. Upon approval, the weapon(s) will be bonded and your convention badge marked accordingly.

7. Any weapons which fail to meet the safety criteria of the Weapons Masters must be immediately (and discreetly), returned to storage, (e.g.: your hotel room or vehicle) or checked into the coat check area, for the duration of the convention.

8. Convention Security and ConCom members reserve the right to inspect weapons, peace bond and convention badge markings at any time. Any signs of tampering will be referred to the Weapons Master for confirmation of authenticity.

9. Horseplay (of any kind, whether participants are consenting parties or not) with weapons will not be tolerated. All persons involved may be penalized depending upon the nature of the severity of the offense. All complaints of behavior of this nature will be dealt with immediately by Anime North.

10. Failure to adhere to one or more of the above rules will result in any or all of the following penalties being swiftly enforced.
Immediate loss of the privilege to carry weapons
Expulsion, without refund, from the Anime North Convention

11. Any act of gross negligence or public endangerment may result in criminal charges beyond the control of Anime North (please remember that the general public may have no idea that the convention is in progress and may react in the extreme if they feel threatened).

The decision of the Weapons Master and ConCom members are final and will be strictly enforced to ensure a safe environment for all convention attendees.

Any replicas for stage use will be kept in your room, in your car, or in the Special Ops office until masquerade time. Period. I hope that clears up any questions.
~Dawn

Kaijugal
04-29-2004, 05:27 PM
Are you AN staff? I don't think AN staff reads this stuff, they have their own boards and out of so much topics it doesn't mean they will read this one.

Wrong. We do read 'this stuff'

Also, you're serriously in error yapping off at Kia. She is well aquainted with masquerade/cosplay policy at our local cons and has a good grasp of what trouble you could cause yourself.

And just to be clear the TCC will have it's own Security on site as well as Anime North's Special Ops volunteers.

sazabi
04-29-2004, 07:46 PM
Aw you got me. Ok I have another one but it doesn't look like a REAL gun but it is made out of metal and it cannot fire so is it still ok to bring it and get it peacebonded and holstered? because it's not a real gun it doesn't look 100% real but I just want to make sure it's safe and that im allowed to bring it. I don't really care if it gets peace bonded or anything. I don't really want to cause any trouble or anything but I had to ask because I wanted to know every single detail there is about this Weapons Policy

Tamer Brad
04-29-2004, 10:25 PM
Is it okay for me to bring Beyblade gun? :D

Kaijugal
04-29-2004, 10:30 PM
Aw you got me. Ok I have another one but it doesn't look like a REAL gun but it is made out of metal and it cannot fire so is it still ok to bring it and get it peacebonded and holstered? because it's not a real gun it doesn't look 100% real but I just want to make sure it's safe and that im allowed to bring it. I don't really care if it gets peace bonded or anything. I don't really want to cause any trouble or anything but I had to ask because I wanted to know every single detail there is about this Weapons Policy

.In that case , yes you can.

Kaijugal
04-29-2004, 10:31 PM
My suggestion is , instead of querying me, bring your props to the compulsory weapons panel and have the Weapons Master, Mr Warrilow, look at them.

sazabi
04-29-2004, 10:33 PM
ohhhh ok thx.

angelcosmos
05-05-2004, 10:35 PM
Just a few days ago I got from AN's yahoo group and posted on Otaking's yahoo group the new weapon/props policy. I bolded it the props/weapons. ^_^

Voila! :

Anime North 2004 * Newsletter #3
-----------------------------------------------------------

Anime North: Canada's Premiere Fan-Run Anime Convention

Anime North 2004
May 21, 22 and 23, 2004
Toronto Congress Center, 650 Dixon Road
Toronto, ON, Canada

For more information, send e-mail to info@animenorth.com
or visit our Web site at http://www.animenorth.com

-----------------------------------------------------------

Anime North 2004 is being held at the Toronto Congress Center (TCC),
650 Dixon Rd., with some additional programming at the nearby
Renaissance Toronto Airport Hotel, 801 Dixon Rd. In additional, there
are guest rooms available at a reduced price for convention attendees
at the Park Plaza Hotel, 33 Carlson Court, across from the
Renaissance.

The TCC will be the site of Registration, Dealer's Room, Artist Alley
and Art Room, the Main Stage and Second Stage (site of the Masquerade,
Red and White Show, Guest of Honor Presentation, Music Video Contest,
Charity and Art Auctions), gaming events, workshops, and guest
autographs. Parking is free.

The TCC will also be offering a coat check for coats and bags, at $2
per item.

The Anime North halls are at the rear of the building, and the doors
to access the convention are on the west side. If you are driving,
parking attendants will direct you to lots at the rear of the
building. If you are arriving on foot, please follow the access route
on the west side of the building to the Anime North doors. Other
events are going on at the TCC that weekend, so please be considerate
of other people attending these functions.

The Renaissance will be the site of video programming, panels, the
J-rock and model display rooms, con suite, Meet and Greet and Saturday
Brunch, and the Saturday night Dance. Parking is $12 a day, and comes
with in-and-out privileges.

There will be a shuttle bus (a traditional orange school bus) running
between the TCC and the Renaissance about three times an hour. It is
free, but for Anime North attendees ONLY. If you require disabled
transport, please contact our Mobility Access director for information
(access@animenorth.com). It is approximately a ten minute walk between
the two venues. If you walk, note that Dixon Road can be busy at all
hours, and you should cross ONLY at the crosswalks.

There will be an additional shuttle bus running between the TCC and
the Park Plaza hotel, where some of our attendees are staying. This
bus is run by the Park Plaza hotel and is for Park Plaza guests ONLY
(see schedule beneath).

Registration
============

Registration is taking place at the TCC ONLY, you must register at the
TCC before you can attend any events at the Renaissance.

Registration at the TCC will open at 1 PM Friday, but the halls there
will not be open for attendees until 2 - 3 PM. If you come early, you
may have to be prepared to wait for events there to begin. There are
several restaurants adjacent to the TCC where you may wish to wait.

Weekend admission: $45 CDN, $35 US

Single Day admissions:

Day Price Reg Desk Hours

Friday $25 CDN, $20 US 1 PM to 10 PM
Saturday $30 CDN, $25 US 9 AM to 8 PM
Sunday $25 CDN, $20 US 10 AM to 4 PM

Meet And Greet
==============

Our Meet and Greet Reception with the guests will be held at the
Convention Foyer of the Renaissance Hotel on Friday, May 21 from 3 PM
to 5 PM. Tickets will NOT be available for purchase at the convention.
They are currently still available for purchase on-line from our
webpage.

For the convenience of our attendees who have tickets for this
function, it will NOT be necessary for you to register at the TCC
beforehand. When you arrive at the Renaissance, your name will be
ticked off at the door. Please note that you must pick up your
convention badge at the Registration Desk in the TTC before you can
attend any other Anime North Functions.

Saturday Brunch
===============

Our Saturday Brunch with the guests will be held at the Renaissance
Hotel from 11 AM to 1 PM, Saturday May 22. Due to the high demand for
this event, tickets will NOT be sold at the door. You may still
purchase tickets on-line from our webpage.

Costumes at Anime North
=======================

While we always encourage costuming at Anime North, and our Masquerade
is one of our major events, it is important that attendees in large,
bulky costumes, or costumes with prop weapons or other large props
behave in a safe, responsible manner, especially in crowded
conditions.

This year, people who wish to carry prop weapons or other large props
with their costumes during the day MUST attend one of two panels held
at the TCC on carrying items safely. Those who attend will have their
props peace-bonded, and their badges marked to confirm they have
attended the event. These panels will be held Friday evening and
Saturday morning. Please check your pocket program when you register
for exact times.

Anyone found carrying a prop weapon who has NOT attended one of these
panels, or is behaving in a careless manner, MUST return the prop to
their car or hotel room, or check the prop in the coat check for the
remainder of the day. Failure to do so will result in the forfeiture
of your membership.

Complete rules will be found in the program book. Please remember that
these rules are for the safety of all our attendees, and act
responsibly.

Costume change areas for males and females will be provided at the
TCC. Note that these areas will not have mirrors or power outlets,
they are meant for simple changes only. Please note that the TCC
washrooms are meant for all attendees, people will not be allowed to
use large amounts of space within them for costume changes.

Park Plaza Bus Schedule
=======================

The bus will LEAVE the Park Plaza at the following times, for an ~5
minute trip. The bus will wait for ~5 minutes, and return to the Park
Plaza at ten-past or twenty-to the hour.

Friday: Runs at 3 PM, 3:30 PM, 4 PM, 4:30 PM, 5 PM
11 PM, 11:30 PM, Midnight

Saturday: Runs at 9:30 AM, 10 AM, 10:30 AM, 11 AM
4 PM, 4:30 PM, 5 PM
7 PM, 7:30 PM, 8 PM
11 PM, 11:30 PM, Midnight

Sunday: Runs at 10:30 AM, 11 AM, 11:30 AM
4 PM, 4:30 PM, 5 PM

archangeli
05-05-2004, 11:41 PM
one question - does that mean that EVERY weapon that will appear at the con (whether in the hall or masquerade) must be presented at the weapons panel, or each person who will be carrying a weapon prop

because my sister has 3 different sets of props that will vary depending on the day.

Lyulf
05-05-2004, 11:47 PM
go to the http://p197.ezboard.com/bteahouseofthemaplemoon and they will give you more info

Kaijugal
05-09-2004, 05:38 PM
one question - does that mean that EVERY weapon that will appear at the con (whether in the hall or masquerade) must be presented at the weapons panel, or each person who will be carrying a weapon prop

because my sister has 3 different sets of props that will vary depending on the day.

Yes Every weapon that will be out there in public along with thier owner/wearer