PDA

View Full Version : Long Term Planning - Halloween

Paul Soth
04-23-2004, 12:32 PM
I've stated before that I would like to hold an open to the public halloween party. If people are interested in this, we need to start planning now. Find a location, get some money together, think up things we want to do at the party, and figure out admission.

I have experience in shopping for event rooms, so I'm more then willing to scout locations and the like. If you have ideas, bring them forward.

chibi_kitsune
04-23-2004, 12:41 PM
I've stated before that I would like to hold an open to the public halloween party. If people are interested in this, we need to start planning now. Find a location, get some money together, think up things we want to do at the party, and figure out admission.

I have experience in shopping for event rooms, so I'm more then willing to scout locations and the like. If you have ideas, bring them forward.

Sounds like fun, if it's in califarnia then I might be able to check it out, well Halloween is not for along time still so who knows?

Paul Soth
04-28-2004, 01:28 AM
Okay, I think I'd like to hold this at perhaps a hotel, based on costs. We need to figure out how many people we can expect, and how much room we need. Based on past experience, I'm thinking of the Holiday Inn Worthington, which is located right off 23 and 270. The neighborhood is safe, it's easy to find, there's several restaurants around, and it's far away from the madness of Campus.

Unless anyone else has ideas for a location?

ClearTranquil
04-28-2004, 01:34 AM
I'm up for anything in Washington....

Paul Soth
04-28-2004, 07:35 AM
Uh... you do know this is for people in Ohio, right?

chibi_kitsune
04-28-2004, 12:03 PM
Uh... you do know this is for people in Ohio, right?

Oh, Then I Probly can't go then since it's not even in the same state where I live, so it's too far.

Moi Dix Mois
04-28-2004, 10:14 PM
Sounds good to me! :rockon:

Bobbi
05-03-2004, 04:40 PM
I would really like to attend! Maybe some people from Cleveland can have a carpool down to columbus for it?

Paul Soth
05-03-2004, 05:26 PM
I have no trouble with that. The place I've been thinking about is on the north side anyway.

The questions are paying for the space, figuring out what to do, setting an admission fee, and then advertisements.

Artzydivahuf
05-04-2004, 12:33 AM
Sounds sweet to me, I'm totally in! I was just talking to my friends the other day about wanting to go to a big halloween party this year! Yay!

Would you have it as anime only tho? B/c anime costumes are for the con season for me, Halloween is a time to dress up and be someone weird. (Last year I was Carmen Sandiego, nuff said) But I definaly would come. It would be great to have it in a ballroom, maybe make it a dance? Or video game/anime viewing?? (Ooh wouldn't it rock to play Fatal Frame on Halloween??)

Paul Soth
05-04-2004, 07:41 PM
I'm going to try to talk with the hotel this Friday, look at prices for rooms and various extras (bar, dance floor, etc.). After that, we'll need a few people to run things, lend equipment, etc. Hell, it's like planning a one-night con.

Recowa
05-06-2004, 07:49 PM
I wouldn't mind traveling to Columbus for a Halloween party. It sounds like it can be alot of fun. ^.^

Paul Soth
05-08-2004, 01:16 PM
It looks like a hotel ballroom might be out of any potental budget. I think I may look into other options. Suggestions are welcome.

ryoanji
05-08-2004, 04:19 PM
I think myself and two of my friends (atleast) will be able to go. Sounds like fun ^_^

marsie
05-08-2004, 05:52 PM
How far does everyone want to travel?

My family has 8 acres of land, a pond and a lake down in Southern Ohio. Of course there is no bathrooms since it is just the land. But I am sure that we could rent a portapotty for the weekend.

Also my house is available. Paul has been here. We could have the house totally for our use.

Two options up for approval.

Paul Soth
05-11-2004, 01:31 PM
Actually, I've been doing some calls, and I think we may be able to get a good deal with the Clarion Hotel on 161 by I-71, starting at $250 for just the main ballroom. We can hold it open to the plublic, and may be able to get some good deals on food if we wish.

But we need to figure out what we need and what we can supply. Best to work that out now.

marsie
05-12-2004, 04:26 PM
hmm that's up north. The only thing I am against is if i get intoxicated I DO NOT want to pay to stay at a hotel. Have you check on catering? Some hotel have restrictions on what can be brought in. Plus have to pay to have them clean up.

Paul Soth
05-12-2004, 05:42 PM
hmm that's up north. The only thing I am against is if i get intoxicated I DO NOT want to pay to stay at a hotel. Have you check on catering? Some hotel have restrictions on what can be brought in. Plus have to pay to have them clean up.

Well, that's another question, which is what we want to do there. The hotel does offer catering, open and cash bars, etc. Which also goes into the question of if we want to serve alcohol for one, and if so do we offer it or let the hotel sell it.

Also, what kind of food should we serve? The hotel told me that if we cater enough from them, we may also get the room for free. But I wonder how much is enough, and their catering does run $5.00 per person. Also, another option is that we could get space in the restaurant there as well, which could be nice.

They don't have restrictions on outside catering, so we could order elsewhere. I'll need to talk with the hotel staff in person so I can look over all the details, but I think this can work. It's a decent hotel and it's right off I-71 so it's easy to find and along the way for people coming in from out of town.

Also, it'll need a staff as well...

Mamochan
06-09-2004, 12:36 AM
I'm in! (cleveland area) If you need any help just let me know. I set up the first AL cosplay picnic and know it can be a lot of work if you do everything yourself. ^-^

Miyabi-
06-21-2004, 04:06 PM
I'm in too as long as it doesn't conflict with the Halloween celebration in Athens Ohio.
As far as catering....hmm...you could always call places like Subway and ask about party platters and such. When you figure the cost for the ballroom and the food then you can usually figure out what admission is going to cost for everyone.
As far as booze....I'm all for the bring your own policy but we should find out if the majority of attendees will be minors or not.

misskitty
06-24-2004, 12:18 AM
cosplay halloween party? oh i am sooo in.

$5 a person for catering really isn't bad. i'd be willing to pay my share.

another thing that needs to be considered is entertainment, ie. by way of music. otherwise we just have a bunch of people dressed up in strange outfits standing in a hotel. ^^;

neena
07-15-2004, 05:45 PM
Hi - I'm completely new to the cosplay venue: avid costumer, makeup artist and etc. relating to all things Halloween. I'd like to find out more about this, as it's right up my alley! Sorry I don't have suggestions for venue or entertainment in October - I work at Terror Park at Cooper Stadium.

If anyone would like to find out more about halloween makeup and costuming: we're having a convention in Columbus at Cooper Stadium July 23-25: Midwest Haunters Convention (www.midwesthauntersconvention.com). Additionally, I publish a newsletter for actors, available at www.featurecreatures.com: the FC Zine is a link off the home page.

I hope posting this is alright - that I learn more about cosplay and how to get involved, perhaps with cross promotions.

Best regards,
Neena
Neena@featurecreatures.com

neena
07-15-2004, 05:47 PM
Sorry - I accidentally double posted; trying to remove.

Paul Soth
07-15-2004, 06:47 PM
Well now, this could work. I'll talk to some staffers at Ohayocon and see if we can get some more support.

chibiusa
07-23-2004, 08:17 PM
w00t!! that sounds like an awesome idea, I'm definitely going to try to make it!! :3 how fun <3