PDA

View Full Version : Makeup tips for Asian eyes (having, not simulating)

Juu-Sama
04-23-2004, 05:04 PM
Hi again to every one. I am sorry if this topic has been discussed before but I just really want to know.

since I am asian and has that traditional japanese cute and delicate flower looking girl, with pail skin and thin eye brows, and eye lashes slanting DOWNwards, my eyes appear relatively small. I really am not trying to MAKE my eyes bigger (even though that would be nicer) but can some one tell me how should I apply mascara for my eyelashes? or should I just forgo the notion of applying mascara completely?????

Thank you for your help ^_^

Juu-sama

Anele
04-23-2004, 06:08 PM
There is a thread titled "Looking Asian". Perhaps you will have a better chance of finding what you need there. They also talk about a specific book that might help as well.

I also need to know how to make my eyes look a little Asian-type. Because if you look at the character art of Sephiroth, his eyes are like that. XD

victimofreality
04-23-2004, 08:30 PM
Trying "not" to look asian. +glances at Anele's post+ hehe. I have a friend that's chinese and I actually discussed this kind of thing with her the other day. Here are some tips:
1) An eyelash curler she said works wonders on curling her lashes UP. Just apply a coat of mascara FIRST, then curl, then apply a second coat.
2) It's a fact that lining your eye from one side all the way to the other makes eyes smaller. So, if you line your eyes from the outside corner of your lid (on the top), to the beginning of your iris (outside the pupil; the colored part) only. Then, on the bottom line it to the same spot. This will also elongate your eye. (make sure to connect the lines at the corner of your eye. so it kind of "points")
3) Remember that the lighter the eyeshadow, the bigger your eye looks. (this doesn't apply to liners) Stay away from anything with a substantial color. (neutral creams, beiges, perhaps white sometimes are all great)
Hope everything works out for you!

Anele
04-23-2004, 09:20 PM
Oh I'm sorry! XD I'm THAT tired. *bows in forgiveness*

inertia
04-24-2004, 05:00 AM
I'd just forget about mascara. The reason why mascara makes some people's lashes look longer is because Caucasians often have light-colored lashes (even dark-haired Caucasians frequently have blonde-tipped lashes that look shorter than they really are) and making them darker makes the whole lash length visible. That's not relevant for Asians... I'm half-Asian and the only way mascara makes any kind of difference on my lashes is if I use 10 coats, and then it's a clumpy mess that STILL isn't any longer.

I think fake lashes are much better. ^^; Just remember to check the length of the band against the eye (it's often too long for Asian eyes and needs to be cut smaller) and curl your own lashes first.

Juu-Sama
04-26-2004, 08:52 PM
Trying "not" to look asian. +glances at Anele's post+ hehe. I have a friend that's chinese and I actually discussed this kind of thing with her the other day. Here are some tips:
1) An eyelash curler she said works wonders on curling her lashes UP. Just apply a coat of mascara FIRST, then curl, then apply a second coat.
2) It's a fact that lining your eye from one side all the way to the other makes eyes smaller. So, if you line your eyes from the outside corner of your lid (on the top), to the beginning of your iris (outside the pupil; the colored part) only. Then, on the bottom line it to the same spot. This will also elongate your eye. (make sure to connect the lines at the corner of your eye. so it kind of "points")
3) Remember that the lighter the eyeshadow, the bigger your eye looks. (this doesn't apply to liners) Stay away from anything with a substantial color. (neutral creams, beiges, perhaps white sometimes are all great)
Hope everything works out for you!

ooooohhhhhhhhh yippi... found answers right away ^_^ thank you very much

Juu-Sama
04-26-2004, 08:54 PM
I'd just forget about mascara. The reason why mascara makes some people's lashes look longer is because Caucasians often have light-colored lashes (even dark-haired Caucasians frequently have blonde-tipped lashes that look shorter than they really are) and making them darker makes the whole lash length visible. That's not relevant for Asians... I'm half-Asian and the only way mascara makes any kind of difference on my lashes is if I use 10 coats, and then it's a clumpy mess that STILL isn't any longer.

I think fake lashes are much better. ^^; Just remember to check the length of the band against the eye (it's often too long for Asian eyes and needs to be cut smaller) and curl your own lashes first.

yup yup, you are right, my eye lashes are very long (great in sandstorms...heh...heh..if I ever get into one)

but fake lashes....(takes too much time and patience.....) ^_^ thank you very much for the solutions ^_^

GO ASIANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Juu-sama

Ceres86
04-28-2004, 09:44 PM
aaa, i know what you mean, im korean and i have "small" eyes. I've read this tip over again in korean magazines and sum i've seen in japanese magazines.

Like what victimofreality said,
1. curl your eyelashes. I would recommend curling them first instead of applying mascara and curling them.
2. then get WHITE eyeliner pencil and draw under your bottom eyelashes in two places: bottom, inner corner of your eye, and the bottom outer corner of your eye. Kind of smudge to make it look blended.
3. Apply white eyeshadow under your bottom eyelashes on bottom inner and outer corner of ur eyes. also apply a little on the inner corner.
4. optional- apply black eyeliner on top eyelash

the white makes it look like ur eyes are bigger. I've done this couple times and its a trick asian ppl do nowadays.

chibi_kitsune
04-28-2004, 10:43 PM
I don't like using mascara cause it's a pain to use, everyone already said what i was going to though.

Juu-Sama
04-29-2004, 05:51 PM
THank you Ceres ^_^ and all people who have replied ^_^
yippi (little asian dances around)

Yeah...I am not a big fan of mascara (being new to make up) and am very afriad they might run or something X_X, since am alittle compulsive I may rubb my eyes constantly during summer or spring season (blah pollens) *_*

so... X_X.... hmm white eye shadow is a great idea (heard that light colour make things bigger... heh....which is the reason I usually dont' wear light coloured clothings ^_^)

so... any one has MAKE_UP GONE WRONG experiences ^_^ and HOW TO AVOID tips for us newbies??? (preferably on asian or asian like make up, but ALL are welcome ^_^)

arigatou ^________,^

Juu-sama

Ceres86
04-29-2004, 07:07 PM
oh man, putting black eyeliner on both ur upper and lower eyelid... horrible on alot of asians. Smoky eyes, are okay but can go horribly wrong if not d one right ^^ i dont dare try~

make up needs getting used to, i remember i would rub and my mascara would come off. But there are alot of waterproof ones out there too so dont worry about that. I think fake eyelashes look great but ive never tried it..

chibi_kitsune
04-29-2004, 07:34 PM
oh man, putting black eyeliner on both ur upper and lower eyelid... horrible on alot of asians. Smoky eyes, are okay but can go horribly wrong if not d one right ^^ i dont dare try~

make up needs getting used to, i remember i would rub and my mascara would come off. But there are alot of waterproof ones out there too so dont worry about that. I think fake eyelashes look great but ive never tried it..

I tried to use eyeliner a few times but it's very hard to do with out looking bad and my eyes water.

popsicles112
05-05-2004, 07:42 PM
try skyhigh mascara... it really works well. if you also dont feel happy with that then try curling ur eyelashes. you can either do it urself or some people get it professionally done. ur eyes will look bigger just by curling ur eyelashes up! GOOD LUCK!

Ceres86
05-05-2004, 08:19 PM
yes... skyhigh mascara by maybelline i believe... i saw that one in korean magazines , i did hear that it worked well also~

Theres also sumthing called eyelash perm where they kinda perm ur eyelashes so it stays like that, but the bad thing about it is that it doesnt last forever, only few months

chibi_kitsune
05-05-2004, 08:55 PM
yes... skyhigh mascara by maybelline i believe... i saw that one in korean magazines , i did hear that it worked well also~

Theres also sumthing called eyelash perm where they kinda perm ur eyelashes so it stays like that, but the bad thing about it is that it doesnt last forever, only few months

That one works good I just bought that one a few weeks ago.

China-Lilly
05-06-2004, 01:49 AM
I'm Chinese, so I understand the dilemma.

I agree that you don't necessarily need to apply mascara, just curling your eyelashes can do the trick - but mascara will help thicken as well as lengthen.

As for your straight eyelashes - a lash curler can do wonders. But, unless you are using a heated lash wand (ones that don't rely on pressure) NEVER curl your lashes AFTER applying mascara. Mascara can make lashes brittle, so using a curler that relies on pressure (ie those clamp-type ones) can actually break lashes. Also, after you have curled, a too-wet mascara can un-curl your lashes (on a side note: I have yet to find a curling mascara that actually curls my Asian eyelashes).

Rather than Mascara - black liquid eyeliner is your best friend. If you draw a thick line on your upper lash line only - thick enough to see while your eyes are open, it will give the illusion of bigger eyes and thicker lashes. Just don't line your bottom lashline, or line inside the eye with liquid e/l - it's not made for that purpose (if you want to line inside your eye, look for kohl pencils). I don't line the bottom of my eye at all - I find the shape of my eyes makes it smudge too easily.

I know liquid e/l is hard to handle - but it's 10x easier if you use a proper eyeliner brush and not the one in the bottle - just dip your own brush into the eyeliner. And prop your elbow on a table - this will steady your hand.

An even better alternative is a gel eyeliner - like Bobbi Brown gel ink eyeliner or Stila Smudgepots - applied with a thin e/l brush. These can be applied easily and dry to a liquid eyeliner-like finish. These are also mostly smudgeproof.

If you want a less dramatic look than liquid liner, a dark shadow applied right on the lash line will suffice (I do, however, find that 'push' brushes just don't work on Asian eyes). You can also dampen an eyeliner brush (damp not wet) and stroke that across a dark e/s - that works as e/l as well.

Lash perms are great! I love them. But they only last 6-8 weeks. Mine only last 4 - it depends on how fast your lashes grow/renew.

Juu-Sama
05-10-2004, 05:55 PM
Yeah...I understand how I should curl my eyelashes to make my eyes look bigger but how long do they stay up??? (usually I mean...don't have the time to try anything remotely makeupy right now due to the APs exames... WILL KILL AP) anyways does applying mascara help them stay in place???? (or will I just poke myself in the eye without getting any results... X_X)...

and about lash perms (am really a newbie...) what exactly is that???? (doesn't involve anything painful does it????) and where can I get it done or how do I do it????

(I'll stop asking questions now and let you professionals answer ^_^)

thank you to EVERYONE who has replied ^_^ (feeling the love right here ^_^)

Juu-sama

China-Lilly
05-11-2004, 02:25 AM
If you curl your lashes with a curler - they can last a while without mascara, but the curl wil def last longer with the mascara. An alternative to mascara is to heat up your metal eyelash curler for a few seconds with a hairdryer (but make sure it's not too hot) - using this method, I have had the curl last all day - however be careful not to get your lashes wet (like crying for example) as that will straighten the lashes again. The wand type heated lash curlers will only work WITH mascara.

Also when using mascara, one that has a too-wet texture will also straighten lashes out again.

A lash perm is pretty much what it sounds like. The curl is permanent until all your lashes grow out (which takes 4-6 weeks) but towards the end they won't be as curly. You can wash your face, go to sleep, wake up and the curl is still there. Most beauty salons offer this service as it is something frequently done during facials. You have to lie still for 20 mins with your eyes closed during the procedure.

Hotaru Tomoe
05-12-2004, 10:37 PM
Hmm, this is slightly off topic but I wonder if that's why my eyes look slightly asian even though I'm not (that I know of anyhow)... my eyelashes kinda go down before curling up just slightly. They more or less stick strait out with a bit of upward shape.

I don't mind it though, and my lashes are rather dark. They don't get lighter, they just thin out a little bit at the tips.

Juu-Sama
05-13-2004, 06:52 PM
Hmm, this is slightly off topic but I wonder if that's why my eyes look slightly asian even though I'm not (that I know of anyhow)... my eyelashes kinda go down before curling up just slightly. They more or less stick strait out with a bit of upward shape.

I don't mind it though, and my lashes are rather dark. They don't get lighter, they just thin out a little bit at the tips.

teehee... you may have asian blood in your veins ^_^ (yup yup lots of dominant genes from our gene pool) well, Indian (not native americans) people and descendants have HUGE eyes and very pretty eyelashes and they are asian sniffle in jealousy.

yeah... am considering an lash perm...(too lazy to do my eye lashes everytime X_X) it would be nice if my eye lashes curve at all...well, the bottom ones curve downwards but the top ones are just straight!!!!....erm...darn them dominant genes.... :thumbsup:

Juu-sama

chibi_kitsune
05-13-2004, 07:36 PM
[QUOTE=Juu-Sama]teehee... you may have asian blood in your veins ^_^ (yup yup lots of dominant genes from our gene pool) well, Indian (not native americans) people and descendants have HUGE eyes and very pretty eyelashes and they are asian sniffle in jealousy.

I have asian blood from some where down the line, it's mongalian and siberian and who knows what else, but everybody thinks I look drunk or high cause the way my eyes look so that's how I got the nick name the drunken midget.

Juu-Sama
05-16-2004, 05:44 PM
[QUOTE=Juu-Sama]teehee... you may have asian blood in your veins ^_^ (yup yup lots of dominant genes from our gene pool) well, Indian (not native americans) people and descendants have HUGE eyes and very pretty eyelashes and they are asian sniffle in jealousy.

I have asian blood from some where down the line, it's mongalian and siberian and who knows what else, but everybody thinks I look drunk or high cause the way my eyes look so that's how I got the nick name the drunken midget.

teehee drunken midget...yeah...am usually known as that cute little asian who bounceds aorund like hyperactive fuzzball... (accentuate on the CUTE) yup yup...just got a VERY cute hair cut even I have to call mysyelf cute ^_^ ( F34R TH3 CUT3 0N35!!!!)

anyways, since you guys seem professional here, I have one more question for you....X_X

okay, lash curlers apparents DOESN't do ATHING for my lashes X_X... wet, dry, mascaraed....X_X so...any suggestions ????

Juu-sama ^_^

yayahan
05-16-2004, 08:37 PM
Juu-sama - when lash curlers fail, go with fake eyelashes ^^ It takes a bit to get used to, but they are very easy to apply. Finish all your eye make-up first, including eyeliner, shadow as well as mascara to your bottom lashes, then apply the faux lashes carefully and hold both ends for a few seconds. The glue drys transparant. The effect is often more dramatic, and you can choose the length. Ulta has a great selection of them.

China-Lilly
05-17-2004, 12:42 AM
The first thing I'd look at is what kind of curler you're using, and then the technique.

A great conventional lash curler is Shu Uemura's. These are made of metal. You need to clamp down, hold for 5 seconds, then "walk" the curler out a bit, clamp again ... repeat for length of lashes. The idea is to clamp ... move the curler out a bit, and then clamp again. You can heat this type of lash curler with a hairdryer for a few seconds. You can get mini ones of these too, like the Preo curler, which I believe Laura Mercier sells, which are good for corner lashes.

Then there are clamp-type lash curlers that have a battery mechanism to heat the curler. These are usually made of plastic and use 2 batteries. So far, I've only seen these available in Asia.

Then there's heated lash wands. You hold these under your lashes, kind of pushing them upwards for a few seconds. There's no clamping involved. These only work on eyelashes already with mascara on them. Of the 3 types of curlers, these produce the least result for me.

I'd say if lash curlers don't do anything for you, then consider a lash perm.

The problem I have with false lashes is that the false lashes come WITH a curl already in them, so it looks better if you have curled lashes before you apply the fakes. Also, the fakes won't help open up the eye area like curling lashes will.

Juu-Sama
05-17-2004, 03:56 PM
hmmm....one reason I am reluctant to consider lash perms is because I am quite busy right now (may actually have time to get one during the summer) so yeah....
^_^ may take a trip to Japan or China this summer (depends on which uncle decide to be crazy and call for a family reunion) so may be able to get something for the eyelash curlers ^_^

hmm...Fake eyelashes....(ahhhhhhhhh.............) am afraid of glueing with an unpracticed hand... X_X but without practicing my hands will ALWAYS be unpracticed... is Fake Eyelashes easy to do????? or do I want to get someone else to do it for me????

Juu-sama

China-Lilly
05-17-2004, 08:10 PM
There are basically 2 types of fake lashes: strip lashes and individual clusters.

Strip lashes are those that you apply along your whole top eyelid, so they produce more dramatic results. You stick these on your eyelid, so it can actually feel like you have something stuck there. You can get these in a variety of styles, and even glittered or jeweled. When you open the packet, you'll need to trim the lash to fit your eye. Then apply a thin layer of glue to the edge (some come with glue pre-applied) wait for it to become tacky, and then stick on one corner and press the rest of the strip into place. You can reuse strip lashes.

The other variety is individual lashes. These come in single strands, or clusters. The process of using these are the same, but single lashes would be too time consuming to work with. Most people use clusters, and they look very natural - a lot of brides use these for weddings - it can just look like you have thick fluttery lashes, not like false lashes. You did the end of the cluster into the glue, wait for it to become tacky, and then stick onto your lashes. These glue onto your lashes rather than your lid, so you can't feel them. It takes about 3 clusters per eye, and it looks more natural if you mix short/medium and medium/long clusters (short or medium for the middle of the eye, long for the outside corner). You can't reuse these, but you get quite a few in a packet. These can be difficult to apply on yourself though - especially trying to get them aligned. It's also best done with tweezers.

Either way, false lashes is easier when someone else does it on you. You can you it on yourself, but it takes time and practise. I think this is why most people opt for thickening/lengthening mascaras, it's just easier.

Juu-Sama
05-18-2004, 03:14 PM
There are basically 2 types of fake lashes: strip lashes and individual clusters. ... .... ....I think this is why most people opt for thickening/lengthening mascaras, it's just easier.

wow... China-Lilly really knows ALOT ^_^ are you professional ? ^_^ anyways, either way do I'll have to curl my lashes before applying them? (cutting they off is DEFINATELY not an option ^_^)

^_^ thank you SOOOOOOOOOO much for you help ^_^ All of you ^_^

Juu-sama feel loved :heart:

- Juu-sama

China-Lilly
05-19-2004, 01:09 AM
Hi Juu-sama - yes, I am a makeup artist, but it's only a part-time job for me, more for interest than income. My day job is graphic design.

I would recommend curling your lashes before using false lashes. The false lashes come with a curl already in them, so you want your lashes to match that. If the false ones curl and your's don't, there will be a separation between the two, and it won't look very good.

I've heard of people applying mascara after using false lashes to blend the false and real lashes together, but I don't do that. I find that it just makes it clumpy-looking.

avskull
05-19-2004, 02:56 AM
Didn't know there was so many different detail to looking Asian. I think people need to be careful when talking about cosplay a race and the stereotypes that come to mind when thinking about that race. There lot of advice that given but be a self-study and pick up picture what you want to emulate and emulate. If that means obtaining lots of Asian magazines or doing picture searches for “Asian”. I’m Chinese [look at avatar] for me to look Asian do i just wake up, is there a degree of looking "Asian" and what part of Asia?

people from Russia, Kuwait, Jordan, Israel…etc. Are Asian so how can you melt down all those facial chartists to advice.

Juu-Sama
05-19-2004, 03:15 PM
Didn't know there was so many different detail to looking Asian. I think people need to be careful when talking about cosplay a race and the stereotypes that come to mind when thinking about that race. There lot of advice that given but be a self-study and pick up picture what you want to emulate and emulate. If that means obtaining lots of Asian magazines or doing picture searches for “Asian”. I’m Chinese [look at avatar] for me to look Asian do i just wake up, is there a degree of looking "Asian" and what part of Asia?

people from Russia, Kuwait, Jordan, Israel…etc. Are Asian so how can you melt down all those facial chartists to advice.

wait, that reply was alittle ambiguous ....

first of all i AM asain and YES I read Chinese ^_^. heh... well, all I need to look asian is just try to sit and be quiet :mfg: (which I could never do because of my constant hyperness...) :burger:

okay, being asain is easy when you ARE asian but personally if as person is caucasian or even of african descent it is hard for him or her to look asian(or in cosplay's case, Japanese) due to their facial structures...

so...yeah.... ....

anyways, the purpose of this thread is how NOT to look asian...well as least for the eyes (I've been too japanese ALL my life that even the natives thought I was japanese and tried to talk to me...) ALOT of Japanese people are also trying to look as european as possible X_X...walking down Osaka street and you would see blondes and brunets and red head EVERYWHERE>>>>>>>>

anyways, getting back to my NOT looking asian...does any one know where to find white power for the face???? (am attempting a MANA costume and need the gothic-ish pale face make up....X_X)

Juu-sama :sunny:

Hotaru Tomoe
05-19-2004, 03:29 PM
If you have a Hot Topic nearby (best chance, try in the malls) they should have pure white face powder. I plan on hitting Hot Topic before for white powder before the con too, not for mana, just because. lol

Juu-Sama
05-20-2004, 03:19 PM
If you have a Hot Topic nearby (best chance, try in the malls) they should have pure white face powder. I plan on hitting Hot Topic before for white powder before the con too, not for mana, just because. lol

ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh COMPLETELY forgot about Hot Topic!!!!!!!! hehh...(guess I'm just not paying too much attention to things heh...have the attention span of a bird...whoooo cicadas!!!!!!!!)

anyways...another question for all the pros ^_^ okay, since I plan on cosplay as Mana for the con (at least for one day)...I was wondering how to do the eyes...as in ... is it okay to apply that much eye shadow and stuff around my eyes??? (Alot of people tell me that the whole smoky eyes thing is not for asians, but Mana-sama is japanese, and he look great in it...)

just so that you know what i am talking about here's some pictures (http://www.avantgauche.co.uk/gallery/mana.html)

^_^

if you would include the materials I need to do that and some simple procedures please ^_^...THank you VERY VERY VERY much for helping me

Juu-sama

laydee.c
07-09-2004, 05:20 PM
i was just wondering for those who reccommended maybelline sky high mascara if they were asian and it worked successfully..ive tried a lot of different mascaras and am now paranoid and do not want to resort to eyelash curlers everyday or eyelash perms..also i was wondering (slightly off topic) if anyone can recommend a good yellow based foundation for asians as i often have trouble finding the rite shade...thx=)

Ceres86
07-09-2004, 05:45 PM
laydee, i personally havent tried maybelline sky high mascara but i do hear it alot. They claim that it'll curl ur lashes 30 degrees, buh I cant say for sure... try it.

The yellow base foundation , u can go to shiseido. They are a bit costly but I find their powedery foundation the best and natural. I use their Proudia ones. The beige ocher is what matches my skin tone the best. If you dont want shiseido try any other asian stuff like laniege, issa knox, vov etc since they will have that yellow base in it (be warned, asian cosmetics are pricy). lol i remember i used a pink based one... too unnatural. You can find sum at: neobeauty.com and evecare.com

Mei
07-09-2004, 06:59 PM

If they don't (since they stopped selling ManicPanic products a long while ago), go to ManicPanic.com. They've got a great white Dreamtone foundation, goth-white foundation and fantastic pressed white powder to go along with it. The best. I've heard Ben Nye is good, too.

Juu-Sama
07-10-2004, 01:28 PM
If they don't (since they stopped selling ManicPanic products a long while ago), go to ManicPanic.com. They've got a great white Dreamtone foundation, goth-white foundation and fantastic pressed white powder to go along with it. The best. I've heard Ben Nye is good, too.

ah...but aren't white foundations really expensive?...not that I've seen any so far...ah well...

anyways, about the eyelashes, I actually attempted the mana-sama like makeup...(check gallery) and...suprsingly, it turned out pretty well. looks like fake eyelashes works pretty well. AND I didn't have to curl my eyelashes...^_^
needs tons of practice though.

Juu-sama

Mei
07-10-2004, 05:36 PM
Pure white stuff can get pretty expensive, but then again, it depends on the quality and where you're getting it.

gothiclolita
07-11-2004, 01:37 PM
Another Asian (Chinese?) here. :) This thread has been very informative, but I will give my $.02 anyway.
I am a mascara whore. Seriously. I think I spent about 60% of my makeup time practising with it. It is also the one makeup I wear the most out-of-costume. I find that apart from the handy eyelash curler, you may want to get your hands on a lash comb. It is a tiny metal or plastic comb with teeth that are thin and close together so that you can separate and unclump your lashes after you apply mascara. I swear by mine, although it really scares people when they see me stick a sharp metal comb near my eyeballs XD
For everyday makeup I think that simple is the best. We Asians don't really need to follow those complicated shading stuff that is designed for Western eyes. Just a single shade (light for the day, a bit shimmery is good too; a bit darker for more drama) swept all over the eyelid followed by eyeliner (a smudged pencil line looks more natural, but liquid is good too) already look very good and refreshing.
I have read about using white eyeliner on your lower lashes or inner corner of your eyes to open them up. I think it works as long as it is not solid white; using something glaringly white against my eyeballs just make them look yellow and weird. A pearly white or light silver works much better IMO.
About Mana cosplay makeup, I would like to plug my site once again LOL. Click my signature to go to Mana Wannabe: A Step-by-Step Makeup Guide!

Juu-Sama
07-12-2004, 08:10 PM
Another Asian (Chinese?)
yes chinese with probably less than 100th of japanese blood (other wise I wouldn't have relatives with odd names and having chinese people call me "jap" when i was in china...

anyways...I LOVE your site!!!!! actually, that's where I learned how to do my makeup...(still practicing very hard....trying to get it right X_X but parents against cosplaying and being wierd in general....)

wow...glad to have finally met you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!several days ago, I actually mistook someone as you on this site and confused the heck of them by taking about your site ^_^....gave her your website address (hope you didn't mind...)
erm...THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOO much for making such a cute site like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Juu-sama (okay...suger ran out...)

taochi
07-13-2004, 02:03 AM
I'd recommend Ben Nye's "special white" foundation, it gives you that ethereal j-rock look with out the possibilty of being mistaken for a clown if you were to go solid white ^^*

teehee

Chibi Plush Toy
07-13-2004, 03:25 AM
Heh, I'm Filipina, but anyway, I'd just go with that liquid eyeliner people apply to their eyebrows (the one used as a replacement for eyeshadow?) or just use something darker. I dunno, it works for me and I have small eyes...

gothiclolita
07-13-2004, 10:10 AM
wow...glad to have finally met you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!several days ago, I actually mistook someone as you on this site and confused the heck of them by taking about your site ^_^....gave her your website address (hope you didn't mind...)
Oh that is no problem at all, thank you for advertising my site for me! XD

Juu-Sama
07-14-2004, 12:10 PM
Oh that is no problem at all, thank you for advertising my site for me! XD

teehee^_^ blink blink and gawk at your gallery...wow...you do alot of makeup stuff ^_^ do you do this professionally? or is it just a hobby?

also, for the sake of other people viewing this thread, could you eleborate on your method of applying nice eye shadows and makethem stay dark?

Juu-sama

PrincessZelda
07-14-2004, 04:58 PM
1. Use eyeliner only on the outer rim of the eyelids, not the inner rim. (Image 1)

2. Blend eyeliner with a cotton swab rather than leaving it as a harsh line.

3. Avoid drawing eyeliner on the inner corner of the lower lid; instead, start the line at the beginning of eyelash growth or even closer to the middle of the eye.

4. Use a light shade of eye shadow on the upper lid leading up to the brow, which will open up the eye. A darker color can be used in the fold of the eye. (Image 2)

5. Consider wearing false eyelashes to give your eyes a more wide-eyed, innocent look. Be sure to use natural-looking eyelashes.

6. Curl your eyelashes with an eyelash curler before applying mascara to give you the same effect as false eyelashes. (Image 3)

7. Try a black mascara if brown does not bring out your eyes enough
thats how u make ur eyes look bigger

Juu-Sama
07-14-2004, 06:30 PM
5. Consider wearing false eyelashes to give your eyes a more wide-eyed, innocent look. Be sure to use natural-looking eyelashes.

um....images???

hmm...am considering using indivitual lashes instead of my normal mana-sama like "turantula legs"(gothiclolita where do you come up these things?..Loved your pictures BTW ^_^)

anyways, I seem to have a problem with curling the corner of my lashes X_X damn my aisian stubborness! my hair my be lusterful and silky but my eyelashes could KILL when used properly..I swear!!!!!!

garrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....which is why when I try the Mana-sama makeup, I just ignore my eyelashes and go straight with the thick fake lashes ^_^...

PrincessZelda
07-16-2004, 10:49 AM
um....images???

hmm...am considering using indivitual lashes instead of my normal mana-sama like "turantula legs"(gothiclolita where do you come up these things?..Loved your pictures BTW ^_^)

anyways, I seem to have a problem with curling the corner of my lashes X_X damn my aisian stubborness! my hair my be lusterful and silky but my eyelashes could KILL when used properly..I swear!!!!!!

garrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....which is why when I try the Mana-sama makeup, I just ignore my eyelashes and go straight with the thick fake lashes ^_^...
u don't need images, I don't have any. there just instructions.

Lady Kikyo
07-16-2004, 11:40 AM
yup yup, you are right, my eye lashes are very long (great in sandstorms...heh...heh..if I ever get into one)

but fake lashes....(takes too much time and patience.....) ^_^ thank you very much for the solutions ^_^

GO ASIANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Juu-sama

Im ASIAN! ^.~ thats cool, YAY I met someone who is asian! ^^!

Juu-Sama
07-16-2004, 03:52 PM
Im ASIAN! ^.~ thats cool, YAY I met someone who is asian! ^^!
^_^ most people viewing this thread are probably asian ^_^...

am chinese^_^ (by nationality) any one else???

Juu-sama

AngelicSorrow
07-16-2004, 07:01 PM
I'm chinese!!! YEA!!!! I still can't apply make-up correctly even though I've read this thread...is it me or am I just hopeless?

laydee.c
07-16-2004, 07:43 PM
chinese here toO!

PrincessZelda
07-16-2004, 07:50 PM
i'm not asian.I just felt like veiwing the forum :)

Skullez
07-16-2004, 08:48 PM
I have pretty narrow eyes. im not asian..uhh i think... but i do have a aperance of haveing small eyes at times.
but what i use is white eye shadow. it makes the dark f yur eyes stand out alout. while haveing something dark suround your eyes colides and makes the eye look smaller.

this trick usualy works with someone w/ dark eyes. i would not recomend it for ppl w/ blue or lighter eyes.
i hope this helps actualy!

Juu-Sama
07-18-2004, 09:50 AM
I have pretty narrow eyes. im not asian..uhh i think... but i do have a aperance of haveing small eyes at times.
but what i use is white eye shadow. it makes the dark f yur eyes stand out alout. while haveing something dark suround your eyes colides and makes the eye look smaller.

this trick usualy works with someone w/ dark eyes. i would not recomend it for ppl w/ blue or lighter eyes.
i hope this helps actualy!

I think it does I usually don't use make up because it's just takes way too long to make it look good, but I read on a book (for asians) somwhere if you want your eyes to looks bigger, use a daker shadow at the outter corner of your eys away from your nose, then use a light shadow over the whole eye lid to make it look as if it's standing out...

actually, people of ALL races are welcome ^_^

yeah, small eyes is really a pain when you are into Anime cosplaying where all the characters had HUGE watery eyes...

Juu-sama

Skullez
07-30-2004, 10:29 PM
I think it does I usually don't use make up because it's just takes way too long to make it look good, but I read on a book (for asians) somwhere if you want your eyes to looks bigger, use a daker shadow at the outter corner of your eys away from your nose, then use a light shadow over the whole eye lid to make it look as if it's standing out...

actually, people of ALL races are welcome ^_^

yeah, small eyes is really a pain when you are into Anime cosplaying where all the characters had HUGE watery eyes...

Juu-sama

the white is easy to use! i dont wear makeup at all but all ya do is just brush on some white and it colides well w/ yur skin.
i have bad luck w/ eye liner. once i use it i cant make it look the same for the other eye !!! :sulk:

Matsuki
07-30-2004, 11:07 PM
im chinese! ^^ hmm i use eyeliner sometimes. yea, i think eyeliner works good

Albinochii
01-16-2005, 04:52 PM
I have a question, what do you do about eyeshadow? I read something about just putting a light color over your whole eye to the brow, but what about using some techniques? I want to be able to mess around with eye make-up , but not overdo it. Something I could just go out in.

Also, with eyebrows, (mine grow down too), the woman waxing my eyebrows told me to put hairspray on my finger and push the eyebrow hair up with it (It sounds kind of confused, but you get the jist...hopefully) every morning. For the past...year? I've been doing that and it's working pretty well. My eyebrows still go down a little but not nearly as much as it used to.

And as for the eyelash permer things, you said something about only being able to find them in Asia? What about Chinatown? And if so, what kind of place would I be looking for them in?

And when applying the mascara and using the eyelash curler, someone said to curl, put on mascara and curl again. After I put on the mascara, should I wait till it dries or curl when it's still wet?

And for foundation, I have normal tannish-yellowish Asian skin, what would be better, a powder or a liquid?

Thanks ^-^.

Juu-Sama
04-20-2005, 08:32 PM
Albinochii-chan ^^
oh gosh....sorry I ignored this thread for so long!....*dies of embarassment*

anyways....hmm...I use a kind of creme eyeshadow from Maybelyn (sp?)....it's sort of like like a large, thick eyeliner pencil....it COULD be used as liner pencil as well, I find it much easier to control than brushes when it comes to applying make up.

as for techniques....for one....just using ONE colour on your eyelids is definately not enough...depends on how you want your eyes to be shaped, you would need different shades of colours. to make everythin look natrual, make-up artistis usually stick to "natrual tones" for fairer people it would be ivory, or light brown-ish kind of colour. for darker skined people it would be gold or bronze and darker brown kind of colour. red works well on most asians...but there's huge risk of over doing eyeshadows when it comes to red...I'd steer away from bright flashy colours if I want to keep makeup look natrual.

as for eyebrows...erm....ah.....hmmm.....*sweat sweat sweat*...I have no idea how to deal with them!...I have natrually thin eye brows...so all I need to do is just make them a little darker haha ^^;;;;;....there are also "molds" you can buy at local pharmacies or supermarkets...it's basically a piece of plastic that has the shape of an eyebrow.....so you can use that to trace I guess hahaha ^^ <-clueless....

hmm...as for eyelash primer, it is found in America too. the "two layer" mascarathingy that comes with the white and black mascara,the white part is actually the primer...though, I understand it's only recently (within the past two or three years?) that American companies began to distribute them in pharmacies and not make up stores.

kk...I have a question for those who KNOW what they are doing haha ^^...kk....I have heated lash curlers...and for everyone who doesn't know what they are doing......definately CURL your lashes 1st BEFORE putting Mascara on....why?....because on the little lash curlers it usually says "not designed for lashes mascara"...especially the heated lash curlers...you DON'T want vaporized mascarac chemical running into your eyes haha^^....

as for foundation...hmm....it just depends on which kind you like better I guess haha...it's not very on topic though ^^

kk...though I have a problem when it comes to applying mascara AFTER curling.....if I don't apply mascara, my lashes could stay up almost ALL day!....but when I DO apply mascara....they flip back to their downward original position within minutes!....kk...am I doing this wrong or does the "protein strengthening" kind of mascara just make my lashes stronger?!...quite frankly...I tried to curl my lashes AFTER the mascara had dried...and WHEN it was wet too...ant the out come had been the same....maybe I shouldn't put maracara on at all?!.... help help?!
god....fake lashes are MUCH easier to handle!....

Apsara
04-21-2005, 04:16 AM
I knew I should have looked in here sooner. Very nice techniques talked about. I'll have to go the fake lash route though. My eyelashes are no where near thick, but they're damned long and very, very straight. So straight, they sometimes get caught in my eye when I open my eyes wide or look up then blink fast and I end up with squinty, watery eyes at conventions.

I find that I have to use all the methods to make my eyes look big. Eyelash curler (which promptly makes my eyes widely innocent), mascara, use an old mascara wand to seperate the clumps, curler again, black powder, pencil, black powder again, and just to be on the safe side, mascara again along with the old mascara wand trick. When it's somewhat dry, I carefully curl it yet again.

It's the only way to keep my lashes up for at least 2 hours. Then no matter what I do, it'll go back to being straight. I've taken to carrying an eyelash curler around with my powder. Instant face lift. XD

That or I just stroke the lashes with black powder with a eyeliner brush after I've curled. It does the same thing as the mascara without the hassle of clumps, but does not last as long. It does work though.... Very dramatic results if you like flipping out your make up case/mirror to adjust it every 10 minutes. Probably works best at a photoshoot with a very patient photographer.

Hm, I was about to make a new thread about finding foundation/concealer for dark Asian skin, until I read this. Hopefully Shiseido have stuff in the darker skintone range. My skin has way too much yellow in it for any of the cosmetics sold in most drugstores to work. The stuff made for sun loving, bronz-y Caucasions is too pink, the stuff made for those of African descent is ash colored or too purple/blue or even weirder green-ish.

Apsara

angellover02171
04-21-2005, 02:33 PM
im hispanic and black but i have asian eyes. go figure. my eyes are very small. i just usally use black eyeliner around my eyes. latly i have been useing lining the bottom of my eyes and then on the top i start the inside corner and draw till i get close to the outside corner and then it likead sweep the penscil upwards towards the ousid part of my eyebrown i stop midway between my eye and brow. it looks really cool. i also heard that useing a white pencil on the bottom lid does the trick i tried it but my eyes looked rounded like a white persons. i also like to use fake eyelashes. it looks much better than just useing mascara.

Juu-Sama
04-21-2005, 07:58 PM
fake lashes it is!!!!!!....hmm..the trick to use "white" on bottom lashes it not to use "WHITE"...but a much lighter shade of colour than your skin tone...unless you are on stage and far away from the crowd or something...light blue-ish kind of colour works fine ^^...hmm..i think gold can work in place of white too...so it doesn't look TOO obvious that you are caking make up on your face ^^

Apsara
04-22-2005, 07:48 PM
Yeah, I'd use a light cream or tan if you have dark skin. I personally use a dark peach tone with gold over it to open up my eyes. Strangely enough, if I were to remove all of my eyelashes, the shape of my eyes are tilted upwards at the ear-ends and very big. *grimaces* It's the lashes that makes my eyes look small.

Apsara

Juu-Sama
04-22-2005, 09:13 PM
Yeah, I'd use a light cream or tan if you have dark skin. I personally use a dark peach tone with gold over it to open up my eyes. Strangely enough, if I were to remove all of my eyelashes, the shape of my eyes are tilted upwards at the ear-ends and very big. *grimaces* It's the lashes that makes my eyes look small.

Apsara

hmm...I think if you curl your lashes all the way up and use darker shade of shadows, that would make your eye look bigger ^^....erm...remove all of your lashes?....how do you do that?
Juu-sama

Apsara
04-23-2005, 10:21 PM
Personally, dark colors only makes my eyes look squinty and small. So I almost always use light colors unless the original image of whomever I'm cosplaying has dark make up on. Then I, reluctantly, use darker shades.

*grinning* I used a nail clipper to remove all of my lashes a few years ago. When I was done the shape of my eyes was an lmond and tilted like a cat's. Very pretty...except there was nothing to keep dust and micro debri from getting into my eyes until my lashes grew back out.

Apsara

heki-chan
04-24-2005, 06:38 PM
Chinese here. ^_^ I don't think I have the "asian eye" but here's what I do anyway.
I use a dark brown powder eyeliner, cuz Powder is very good to get a very natural looking thicker lashline. Its also much easier to control vs. liquid or pencil (though they are good for dramatic looks ^_^)

i use 3 shades of eyeshadow on my eyes, the darkest (be it brown, purple or blue, etc) is on the crease, the 2nd darkest is swept over the entire lid, and white-hilighting shadow is under my brow (on the bone), and then brought down to the inner-corner of my eye.

for eyebrows i use Shiseido PN powder, pencil is too harsh for everyday ^_^