PDA

View Full Version : covering acne

oneas
04-23-2004, 05:34 PM
i ah, heh heh sorta got acne :woah: and i was wondering if there is a good something (powder, creme) to cover it. my skin is not pale but not tanned. i am a boy ust so you know :razz:

Senko-chan
04-23-2004, 05:47 PM
Theres that tinted oxy stuff...I suppose it would work, my friend that used it said that it covers up pretty well. Theres this pill that can be given to you by a Dermitologist called Acutine or something like that, it is supposed to have GREAT effects and work very well, but...it has some side effects such as depression akes in muscles and stuff, but thoes side effects dont always happen.

Anele
04-23-2004, 06:03 PM
Well, if you don't want to go into the PILL section, hehe, I found that Neutrogena Healthy Skin liquid makeup works really well as cover up. ^_^ And I think my skin is the same as yours (not pale, yet not tanned), so I think it'd work nicely with you. ^^ It is oil-free, SPF 20. Try "true beige 80" as a color choice.

There's always Ben Nye too.

Clueless Case
04-23-2004, 06:50 PM
try to use some green concealer on really red areas..the gree tones it down

Adara
04-23-2004, 07:18 PM
I've used that Neutrogena concealer. It worked okay, and cleared up my skin a bit. Only thing is, its pretty expensive ( $11+ a bottle, yeek) and in a glass bottle... which isn't good if you're not very graceful (like me x.x;;)

victimofreality
04-23-2004, 08:17 PM
Clean and Clear has an acne concelaer "stick" that also has acne medicine in it. I went through a bad acne stage, and that stuff was AMAZING for me. It's cheaper then the neutrogena stuff - which is really good, don't get me wrong, but it's bad for my budget personally - at about $6 or so. I have a really bad skin tone to match makeup to, but I found that their colors are pretty general and blend very well. (only comes in light, medium, and dark) The acne medicine worked really well for me as well, taking away my zits in some cases virtually overnight, others two days or so. Yeah, i'd swear by the stuff.

Machiko
04-24-2004, 12:27 AM
have you checked MAC?

archangeli
04-24-2004, 12:31 AM
Oneas - i know how you feel. i introduced my boyfriend to the wonder that is MAC concealer and he swears by it now. it may feel "girly" using any kind of makeup, but if you go to any counter and tell them your problem they are always really nice and will help you chose a color that matches your skin.

The great thing about MAC is that they have LOTS of shades from REALLY pale to dark brown - there's something for everyone.

My bf uses the "tube" version because you don't have to use a powder to set it (you can, but you don't have to). They also make a heavier concealer that comes in a pot (which I like better for the coverage) but that one needs a powder afterwards.

Good luck :)

Kawaii Elric
04-24-2004, 12:56 AM
If products don't work then make sure you drink LOTS of water, that helps against acne too ^^

archangeli
04-24-2004, 01:38 AM
Hmm.. this brings up another point - what kind of acne are you trying to cover up? If it's the occassional "omg! i have a zit" sort then all of the above suggestions are still valid. But if you have cystic acne you should see a dermatologist for treatments first, then look into covering them up.

Anele
04-24-2004, 01:59 AM
*nods* At this, I agree with archangeli.

Chanté
04-24-2004, 02:45 AM
Here is my experience: If you would like to clear up acne, I suggest using the Burt's Bees tomato treatment.

It sounds crazy using red soap that is seriously made of tomatoes.

But I swear to you. It. Works. Look at me. Does it look like I had acne three years ago? *_*;;; (at least, I don't think it does XD)

If there's one thing I've learned from experience, it's that all the chemicals in more mainstream "treatments" actually irritated my skin more on the long run. Burt's Bees is almost 100% natural, and my skin for once didn't treat it as foreign and break out even more as a result. (Not to mention, a lot of mainstream corporations lie about their "acne treatments" and the benefits of actually worthless ingredients because they know they can easily prey upon the insecurities of acne sufferers.)

Regimen:
1) Soap http://www1.burtsbees.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=10065&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10015 ... after a week or so, this soap makes your skin totally soft and feel great again.
2) Toner http://www1.burtsbees.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=10193&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10015
3) Moisturizer - any. you can use burt's bees, but the problem is since they're organic, they don't have SPF. Ah well. I use Olay complete.

I noticed a complete change in my skin in about two months. It's like this stuff calms your skin down. My skin is no longer constantly greasy and going crazy, like it always was before.

If you're serious about getting rid of your acne, but don't wanna go to the doctor QUITE yet (I know the feeling...), then this is worth trying. However, disclaimer: I agree with what someone said earlier - if you have really really serious acne (we're talking more acne than skin...), please do see a doctor.

Edit: Other things you can do include:
-drinking lots of water. (one guy claims to have cleared up his acne by drinking water so much that he needed to go to the bathroom every two hours, and the pee was clear. His skin really did clear up.)
-when I eat food that is heavily processed, fried, or otherwised cooked unhealthily (chips, hot dogs, FRENCH FRIES, saturated fat snacks), my face responds by becoming irritated and EXTREMELY greasy. But if I stay with healthier foods the entire day, my face does not grease up at all. This doesn't apply to everyone, but might be a possible factor for you.
-TRUTH ABOUT THE PILL: I'm on it. I've been on it for 2 years now. It made acne flare up again for awhile. Some pills have a hormone that can actually aggravate acne, and some have hormones that clear it up. (ie, NOT ALL PILLS CLEAR UP ACNE. MINE DIDN'T.)

Nadeshiko
04-24-2004, 03:47 AM
I usually go with neutragena skin care products. Those work really cool. If you have the money, I really suggest trying Retin A. Otherwise, just wash your face daily and give it a good scrubbing.

oneas
04-24-2004, 02:28 PM
Thank you all! i think i willtry some of these :D hopefull my acne will clear up or i will find a good cover up in time for anime north ;)

Arisugawa Juri
04-27-2004, 07:51 PM
These are all wonderful suggestions, and as for face washes that significantly reduce acne, I've found L'Oreal's "Pure Zone" line to be fantastic. Of course, results differ with everyone, unfortunately.

procrastinator
04-28-2004, 09:10 PM
I reccomend Pro-Activ, actually... the infomercials are right. I had really, really, really, bad facial acne for 4 years, and when I started using pro-activ, it went away within a month. :) Also, use a facial mask once or twice a week (clean and clear is really good, and it only takes 5 minutes)
Good luck!

Mailorder
04-28-2004, 11:05 PM
I reccomend Pro-Activ, actually... the infomercials are right. I had really, really, really, bad facial acne for 4 years, and when I started using pro-activ, it went away within a month. :) Also, use a facial mask once or twice a week (clean and clear is really good, and it only takes 5 minutes)
Good luck!

I'm using it too, and it SORT of works... I guess my biggest problem is that I don't have enough time to apply it. I know it only takes about ten minutes, but I wake up at 5:45 everyday to get to a 6:00AM class. And I'm too lazy to change my sleepign habits.. : (

I guess if you're a responsible person, Proactiv is good. But if not, seek Accutane. That's what I hope to go for soon, if anyone's using it now... do let me know how it is.

YU-Yu_Ri_Pa-NA
04-29-2004, 08:19 PM
I used to have somewhat bad acne ( maybe it was so bad cuz I always picked at mah zits- NEVER DO THAT!! x.x ) and I was using Clearasil ( sp? ) and IT DIDN'T WORK!! Not the normal one not the ice one ( that one really does make your face all fresh and cold *-* )..none of them!!

So I changed my regiment I think about 2-3 months ago to the Neutregena ( i can't spell ) in the big square bottle? I think it's about $8 but it's a lot of face wash..moving on, this stuff is the holy bottle of holy face wash..my face has DEFENITLY ( again, can't spell ) cleared up, even some of the scarrage has gone away! I get the occasional zit every now and then, but I'm in my prime teen years -.- Neutrogena product (http://www.neutrogena.com/ProductsDetails.asp?ID=10)

To cover up any scars or zits I use Maybelline cover stick in Ivory ( yes I am pale yayyy ) and to blend the color in with my whole face ( ivory is a little too dark for me ) I use Maybelline Pure Stay Powder Foundation ( SPF 15! yay :3 ) on my whole face so the colors all match..you can see the results hereness--
kinda blurry but you still get the pic (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=126236&size=big&password=09a899fe9c08fc865e919d427d732bc2&sort=1&cat=500)

Heres the products:
Maybelline Pure Stay Powder Foundation (http://www.maybelline.com/products/productDetail.aspx?prodid=23)

Maybelline Cover Stick (http://www.maybelline.com/products/productDetail.aspx?prodid=2)

Hope this helps :)

edit- my friend uses Pro Activ and I saw some change in her face but her acne is still bad..

another tip(also my opinion)- for coverup, try to get the same producer (Maybelline, L'Oreal, etc) for your products..the colors will then match for sure and there won't be shade conflicts.