PDA

View Full Version : RIT Cosplay! Rochester, NY May 8-9

Railiens
04-23-2004, 10:10 PM
RIT Cosplay Event!
WHO: The RIT Anime Club and YOU!
WHAT: Costumes, photos, raffles, prizes, contests, and more!
WHERE: The Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, NY
WHEN: Saturday, May 8 and Sunday, May 9
TIMES: 10AM-Midnight on Saturday, 10AM-? on Sunday

The RIT Anime Club, one of the largest anime clubs in the country and ranked seventh best college club in America is hosting a cosplay event and gathering on Saturday, May 8! Cosplayers will meet in the Ingle Audiotorium on campus, where you can take pictures, meet new people, wins some prizes, and have fun with other costumers! Feel free to meet up in the Audiotorium starting as early as 10AM! When 7PM arrives, a speaker from TokyoPop will open the Cosplay and the raffles and contests will begin!

The event will carry on into an independant gathering the next day starting at 10AM, where cosplayers will get together at the Gatehouse entrance of Mount Hope Cemetery, 1133 Mount Hope Avenue, Rochester. This extensive graveyard was built in 1838, and has an ancient feel to its 350,000 Victorian, Greek, and Gothic inspired tombs and headstones. The terrain is filled with valleys and hills, with a feel of a forest. If you're looking for a specific theme, this location is great! Right across the street is a park as well.

Our special guest for the event will be famous cosplay photographer, Maboroshi of RisingSun.net! Even if you don't wish to attend, a donation is appreciated to aid in his visit! Send $5-20 to webmaster@risingsun.net by April 30!

Hotel rates are being gathered for you right now. They will be posted as soon as we can find some cheap lodging for you all!

Allia
04-25-2004, 03:09 PM
Hey Railiens! I can't wait. It is so close. I don't know if I will be able to finish my Seras costume by then:( But I'll be there! I can't wait. This is going to be great. How much do you think it will take us to get Maboroshi up here? I'll try to spread the word again about this event. I know a few people at school that would like to go. And a few people from other message boards.

P.S. Are you going to Anime North?

Railiens
04-25-2004, 03:39 PM
Hey Allia! Good look with that Seras costume! Thanks for spreading the word! I'm worried that people have forgotten!

I talked to Maboroshi, and it basically sounds like he'll need payment for airfare, however much that may be.
So send your donations via paypal to webmaster@risingsun.net! I believe it worked out to be about a $20 donation if you are attending.

Details are still being sorted out, like specific times and hotels. Hopefully I'll get a response later today. I'll post as soon as I do! In the meantime, I have an entire costume to start and finish XP

Allia
04-25-2004, 04:37 PM
Hey Allia! Good look with that Seras costume! Thanks for spreading the word! I'm worried that people have forgotten!

I talked to Maboroshi, and it basically sounds like he'll need payment for airfare, however much that may be.
So send your donations via paypal to webmaster@risingsun.net! I believe it worked out to be about a $20 donation if you are attending.

Details are still being sorted out, like specific times and hotels. Hopefully I'll get a response later today. I'll post as soon as I do! In the meantime, I have an entire costume to start and finish XP

Yeah I think some people have forgotten. Maybe we can split up the list and PM all the people who said they would go just to remind them.

Wow $20/person?! I thought we had more than 50 people comming. Is there a deadline for paying?

Yeah I really need to work on my Seras costume. :thumbsup: I bought a wig from a seller on ebay and the first time I won the wig they never E-mailed me back. I E-mailed them several times before giving up. I really needed that wig because it was perfect. So I try again and I tell the seller what happened the last time and so she was "sorry" and decided to give it to me for the lowest price. Well now it has been more than four weeks since I sent a check and they said they never got the check. :waaaah: On top of that the sewing maching is not working right now. It is like fate does not want me finishing this costume.

I also have another costume to finish before anime north. I have no clue when I will have the time to do so.

Railiens
04-25-2004, 05:19 PM
Allia - Okay, PMing potentional attendees sounds like a good idea. I'll PM you right now about that.

As for donations, really anywhere from $5-20 would be fine. Try to get those in by April 30.

---
Allia, that sounds terrible!! I wish that I had a wig or a working sewing machine that I could loan you! I'm not going to Anime North, but I definitely feel for you with the whole costume crunch =O

Flippy
04-25-2004, 06:07 PM
I thought the post said RPI when I quickly looked at it and asked my self there's more to Genericon since that's a RPI. Anyway I'll go next yr if there is one since my college will be closer and I can just take a short bus trip.
Keep me posted(no pun intended) :razz:

Ranma Saotome
04-26-2004, 12:08 AM
*falls in* Ow... Anyone outta the NYC area going? ^^;;;

Railiens
04-26-2004, 01:34 PM
Update! We have the Ingle Audiotorium from 10AM to midnight on Saturday, with official events such as a contest and raffles starting around seven! We also have a speaker from TokyoPop to open at that time!

Don't worry guys, once you drive up to the campus we'll have signs posted that will direct you to this building!

Allia
04-26-2004, 07:51 PM
Update! We have the Ingle Audiotorium from 10AM to midnight on Saturday, with official events such as a contest and raffles starting around seven! We also have a speaker from TokyoPop to open at that time!

Don't worry guys, once you drive up to the campus we'll have signs posted that will direct you to this building!

That is awesome news! This is going to be so cool :rockon: Now I can't wait.

Railiens I will PM those people with the message now. I was busy all day. From being thought a credit card stealer(which I'm not), to devout Christians trying to convert me while they bought are old windows from us and now having two tests that I have not even really begun to study for. Ack. :waaaah: But the news for the get together is great and outweighs most of the bad. :thumbsup: I'll keep checking back.

~Allia :heart:

Xanthe Kelsylva
04-26-2004, 09:48 PM
Can I come even though I'm a high school student and not an RIT student? This would be really awesome for me! ^_^ And an excuse to finish my Celes costume.

Railiens
04-26-2004, 10:36 PM
Certainly, Xanthe! Anyone is welcome to attend! Definitely looking forward to seeing you there!

Allia - Thanks! I've had a few replies from the PMs, and I think that it is a good idea (reminding people of the event and all). Glad to hear you're looking forward to the event! It's definitely a nice break from everything (especially for you, it sounds) =)

Akutenshi
05-03-2004, 05:36 PM
I don't think I'll be able to make it. Still too broke to go to any cosplaying events.

Misa-chan
05-03-2004, 05:59 PM
There's a pretty good chance that my dad MIGHT go up to Rochester with me (since we lived there for a short time, he's always looking for an excuse to go there to see people), since I have no money for the train. x.x Of course there's the mother's day conflict, so that might be a problem. -.-

Allia
05-03-2004, 07:17 PM
Well I only got two replys to my PMs. Neither of the people can go :(

But I think three or four of my friends from school can go :)

Allia
05-06-2004, 07:27 AM
Is this thing still a go? I hope so. I would not be able to handle it if it got cancelled. :(

Xanthe Kelsylva
05-06-2004, 01:40 PM
There's nothing about it on the RIT anime club webpage... And here I rushed to make that Celes costume.

MikigamiTokiya
05-06-2004, 02:06 PM
I should be there on Sat. with a bunch of people but my mom thinks the cemetary is too close to the city so I won't be attending on sunday.

Allia
05-06-2004, 04:08 PM
There's nothing about it on the RIT anime club webpage... And here I rushed to make that Celes costume.

Hey I was going to be Seras/Celes too! But it looks like my costume will not be finished in time :thumbsup:

Xanthe Kelsylva
05-06-2004, 04:44 PM
That's so cool that we were both going to be Celes though! "OMG, one of us has got to change and it's not going to be me!" lol

Sakura
05-06-2004, 05:49 PM
I don't think I'll be going after all :( I haven't finished my Malon costume and that means I would have to rush through Malon and Link on Friday night and then there's the dilemma of my Link having to work that night. I hope everyone who does go has fun though ^_^

Allia
05-07-2004, 10:18 PM
I found another Rochestarian interested in the gathering! Yay! More people are comming.

Allia
05-08-2004, 12:30 PM
I went to RIT at 11AM *in costume* wandered around for a hour and then found a flyer for the get together. The event is called Cosplay Day.

It is still today the 8th but it does not start until 5PM

It is also in the WEBB auditiorium and not the Ingle.

Xanthe Kelsylva
05-08-2004, 04:03 PM
Same here. See you there in an hour if you're still going though! I'll be the one wearing the Celes costume made out of drapery fabric lol I didn't think anyone would notice that I used home decorating fabric but my brother was like, "...is that drapery fabric?"

Allia
05-08-2004, 04:35 PM
I don't know if I'm still going to go. I'm going to try. Should I wear my Ryoko (Tenchi Muyo) or my Merle (Escaflowne) costume if I go?

MikigamiTokiya
05-11-2004, 03:23 PM
just curious how everything went. my mom freaked at the last min about it being on a college campus and none of my friends parents were gonna be there so i couldn't go ;_; so yea how many people showed that sorta thing ^.^

Allia
05-11-2004, 04:19 PM
just curious how everything went. my mom freaked at the last min about it being on a college campus and none of my friends parents were gonna be there so i couldn't go ;_; so yea how many people showed that sorta thing ^.^

Well the Cosplay.com meet up never happened. :untrust: So it is a good thing you did not go. But it just so happened that the RIT Anime club was having a cosplay event (no it is not the same thing). I only realized that this event was a different one like half way though. :thumbsup: It was pretty fun actually. The RIT anime club is going to make this event an annual event. So watch out for next years cosplay event!

I don't mean to brag but I won first place in the Cosplay contest :dance: So everyone has to come next year because there were not that many cosplayers there. Even if you don't cosplay they have preshowings of new shows in the US and also other little showings and things. :bigtu:

I don't know exactally what happened with the cosplay.com cosplay thing, I'm still trying to figure things out. :sulk:

Rym
05-11-2004, 05:00 PM
As the president of the RIT Anime Club, I'd first like to thank anyone and everyone who came to our first COSplay. We definitly plan to make this an annual event.

The COSplay.com meetup was intended (a LONG time ago) to coincide with our COSplay event that evening, but we lost contact with some of the people involved in planning that and didn't know that there was an advertisment with out of date information on this site. We're terribly sorry to anyone who was inconvenienced by that!

The evening COSplay itself went wonderfully. We had some great groups (including a Lupin III gang and a Full Metal Alchemist troupe), some hillarious skits (an orange construction cone dressed up as Naruto comes to mind), and an Anime Music Video with LIVE MUSIC (props to Mark the guitar man!). It was a small event, but considering it was our first ever, we're very happy with how it turned out. It can only get bigger from here. :toothy:

Watch for us next year when we expand the event, possibly provide some catered treats, and hopefully bring in some special guest judges ^_^

Flippy
05-12-2004, 08:37 AM
I hope that you guys are coming to AnimeNext in NJ from June 18-20....you could problably recrute a bigger group there since it has most of new yorks cosplayers going.
Oh and keep us posted at cosplay.com because this years test run should lead to a better next years event.
....and personally next year I'm on a short bus ride away from campus so I really want to attend!!!! Just keep the cosplay.com boards informed.